PDA

View Full Version : If you had $650 to blow - finish AR, ammo or lowers?

HighDesert
09-10-16, 13:18
Have about 700ish to spend on firearm related stuff and want to make the most out of it give the panic that's going to come in a few months.

Have numerous completed ARs and numerous complete lowers. I have close to 100 ar mags and probably enough rounds stored for ARs, 9mms and 22s to last a few years at the rate I shoot now. I don't shoot much anymore given we have 2 kids under 3 in the house. I used to hit the range twice or three times a week pre kids.

How would you guys spend the cash GIVEN A PANIC MINDSET?

* finish a complete BCM by buying a complete bcm upper (lower is just waiting) - I remember when these were out of stock for almost a year post sandy hook. Almost got into a car accident when I got an in stock notification while driving to work one morning.

* save a few more bucks and buy a complete colt Le6920 oem - I own no Colts as I really dislike carbine gas on a 16".

* buy more lowers - I can't forsee fitting all the lowers I already have with uppers, but I remember getting like 800+ for a complete spikes lower in 2013.

* buy more ammo for my ARs and Glocks - given how often I shoot now, I'm set for a few years.

* buy more mags - realistically I'm good for my lifetime.

* deviation from the ar stuff - buy a 308 rifle (wanted to build a scout for a while) like a Savage scout. My current hunting rifle is a 30-30 and never really had a need for a 308 or 3006, but kind of always wanted one to round out collection. No shots where I live are more than 100 yards - thick NC woods.

* Buy another Glock (have all the 9mms and a few 45s.

I don't want to put this towards classes or optics or upgraded triggers etc - this stuff you can get during a panic and I'm good.

At this point I really want to pick up a complete upper to finish off my 11.5 bcm build, but with 5 ARs already, it's getting to a point where more than one only gets fired a few times a year.

I really can't make up my mind so talk some sense into me.

Thanks!

***update in #48***

BangBang77
09-10-16, 13:36
"Ammo dude, bring ammo. You're not going to need that either man, we'll be back in a half hour."

HighDesert
09-10-16, 13:40
"Ammo dude, bring ammo. You're not going to need that either man, we'll be back in a half hour."
One of the only movies ever that was on par with the book!

Thanks!

Leaveammoforme
09-10-16, 13:57
Investing towards the future:
-10 stripped Anderson lowers
- Nice dinner with the wife

Adding to the existing stash:
-Ammo

Ryno12
09-10-16, 14:07
I really can't make up my mind so talk some sense into me.

Thanks!

Honestly, it sounds like you're pretty set. Why do you feel you have to spend it on firearm related stuff?

Save it or spend it on a fun weekend or event with your family.

zk556x45
09-10-16, 14:08
Ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ouchonyee
09-10-16, 14:36
308, since you seem to have most everything else covered..

misfit47
09-10-16, 14:43
You're gonna have to cough up a bit more than that for a 308 ar or any other 308 semi.

GH41
09-10-16, 14:48
Not a fan of PSA but have you seen the mag/ammo deals they are running?? A thousand rounds of AE and 10 magpul 30 rounders for $379. Not 556 but wouldn't mind having a couple of them. PSA is packaging magazines with almost anything for the AR. They must be betting the bitch will be elected. I have often wondered what I would do if I had 50 thousand magazines in stock that the sale of could be made illegal in 6 months. Maybe what they are doing.

Squib308
09-10-16, 15:05
Lowers and save your brass. Hillary is coming for both.

Inkslinger
09-10-16, 15:20
You seem to have all your bases covered. I would save some more and buy a suppressor.

larryp
09-10-16, 15:46
I think you're actually pretty well set. What pops to mind for me is do you have any body armor? That would be my next investment if I was you especially since the different powers that be have had banning that in their sights for years too. Even a inexpensive set of steel plates would be a life saver in the event of a home invasion. Bullet proof me has some inexpensive ceramic plates too. http://bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-4-Stand-Alone.html Two of these is $280 and an inexpensive carrier for $140 http://www.tacticaltailor.com/platecarriermodular.aspx. Even leaves some left over for a helmet off ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Gentex-ACH-Advanced-Combat-Helmet-Green-Straps-and-Pads-Large-MICH-/162188552147?hash=item25c330e7d3:g:3zQAAOSwgmJXyKJm.
Anyway that's what I'd do if I was you.

darkwater1967
09-10-16, 16:15
Are you set up for reloading? Ammo here in CA will be more difficult to obtain after Jan 1, 2018 due to a recently signed law that requires an ammo registration card and all ammo must then be purchased at a CA authorized ammo seller in a face to face transaction, meaning no more mail order ammo direct to the house and no bringing ammo in from out of state. If Hillary wins, she may look at the CA model and try to apply that on the national level.

AM-15
09-10-16, 16:21
Reloading supplies and good .22 ammo.
I am already set.
Got caught asleep behind the wheel 8 years ago, not going to happen again.

Clarence

Jwknutson17
09-10-16, 16:36
I still don't see why people stock up on lowers if you already have a few complete extra. When do lowers actually go bad? Just sayin... I'm with Ryno12 on this one.

HighDesert
09-10-16, 16:40
Honestly, it sounds like you're pretty set. Why do you feel you have to spend it on firearm related stuff?

Save it or spend it on a fun weekend or event with your family.
This is just extra money left over from our budget that's added up and is my "fun money" - this would usually be my buy another Glock or AR money, but trying to be more strategic before the fall.

HighDesert
09-10-16, 16:42
You're gonna have to cough up a bit more than that for a 308 ar or any other 308 semi.
I can pick up a savage scout for 620 out the door or a hog hunter for like 420 otd.

An ar10 is definitely out of my price range along with a higher end 308 plus glass.

HighDesert
09-10-16, 16:45
I think you're actually pretty well set. What pops to mind for me is do you have any body armor? That would be my next investment if I was you especially since the different powers that be have had banning that in their sights for years too. Even a inexpensive set of steel plates would be a life saver in the event of a home invasion. Bullet proof me has some inexpensive ceramic plates too. http://bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-4-Stand-Alone.html Two of these is $280 and an inexpensive carrier for $140 http://www.tacticaltailor.com/platecarriermodular.aspx. Even leaves some left over for a helmet off ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Gentex-ACH-Advanced-Combat-Helmet-Green-Straps-and-Pads-Large-MICH-/162188552147?hash=item25c330e7d3:g:3zQAAOSwgmJXyKJm.
Anyway that's what I'd do if I was you.
Never considered plates as I figure if I need them, I probably have bigger issues at hand. But I'm going to check out those links - appreciate it!!!

HighDesert
09-10-16, 16:49
Reloading supplies and good .22 ammo.
I am already set.
Got caught asleep behind the wheel 8 years ago, not going to happen again.

Clarence

I used to live in Scottsdale and visited the Dillon factory a dozen times - I just can't see having the time or shooting enough to make it work. Since my kids were born I've maybe done 1k rounds a year and don't see that changing anytime soon. Next time I shoot regularly will be with my kids and likely low volume...

Are you set up for reloading? Ammo here in CA will be more difficult to obtain after Jan 1, 2018 due to a recently signed law that requires an ammo registration card and all ammo must then be purchased at a CA authorized ammo seller in a face to face transaction, meaning no more mail order ammo direct to the house and no bringing ammo in from out of state. If Hillary wins, she may look at the CA model and try to apply that on the national level.

Arik
09-10-16, 17:05
A M M O!!!

That being said I'd probably do a combo. Lower to finish the BCM and ammo

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

bobco
09-10-16, 17:06
One thing I've been doing is stocking up on AR parts. You can take care of most of your common needs including a spare bolt and carrier for way below your budget, likely have enough left over cash to get a spare upper. How about a .300 Black or one of the large bore uppers?

I'd also note that ammo costs are low right now and I don't think you could go wrong with some ammo purchases as well. I doubt we will ever see ammo this low again and I'd think it will always be in demand, so future trading stock if needed.

Bob

Zirk208
09-10-16, 18:51
Going with just the options you provided (you answered most of your own questions in the original post):
I'd finish out the BCM upper AND/OR invest in the .308

MegademiC
09-10-16, 19:35
My thoughts as they apply to me, for perspective, your situation may be different...

Once I get all my "needs" filled ( rifle, pistol, backup pistol), I bought a supressor and will be buying another next. It's more pactial for my uses. Im busing a rifle silencer before a long range gun.

Point is prioritize what you want in a list, needs up top, wants on bottom, and work down the list.

My 2 cents.

556BlackRifle
09-10-16, 20:25
If you don't have a gun safe / cabinet or Ammo cabinet, with little ones running around, that would be a good thing to get. If you already have that covered, and are thinking about a bolt gun, save up and get a Ruger Precision Rifle. My buddy has one and it's a freaking tack driver. It's on my short list......

bobco
09-11-16, 08:34
My thoughts as they apply to me, for perspective, your situation may be different...

Once I get all my "needs" filled ( rifle, pistol, backup pistol), I bought a supressor and will be buying another next. It's more pactial for my uses. Im busing a rifle silencer before a long range gun.

Point is prioritize what you want in a list, needs up top, wants on bottom, and work down the list.

My 2 cents.

I've done the same, not a bad idea!

sadmin
09-11-16, 08:43
Ammo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ExplorinInTheWoods
09-11-16, 09:13
Loading press and dies and other reloading kit things

tim808
09-11-16, 13:26
Sounds llike your bases are covered and you don't "need" anything

Pay off any debts if you have any.

Or invest the extra money in a Roth, college fund or a down payment on a place to live

A Dillon press sounds good but depending if your kids are active in sports, that press may be idle for a while

Sorry if I sound like your mom & dad but it's because we only want/wish for the best for our kids.

That said I have about 10-12 stripped lowers, 2 complete ar's, 2 nearly complete uppers and about 80-90 mags ready to be sold if prices go crazy

I bought them when I had more disposable income.

Now my kids are 20, 16 and 9 and there is no disposable income till they grad from college.

When it comes to money be wary of advice from a bunch of gun addicts :-)

Best wishes

darkwater1967
09-11-16, 14:31

Best wishes

Addicts AND enablers! It's easy to spend someone else's money!

bobco
09-11-16, 15:25
Sounds llike your bases are covered and you don't "need" anything

Pay off any debts if you have any.

Or invest the extra money in a Roth, college fund or a down payment on a place to live

A Dillon press sounds good but depending if your kids are active in sports, that press may be idle for a while

Sorry if I sound like your mom & dad but it's because we only want/wish for the best for our kids.

That said I have about 10-12 stripped lowers, 2 complete ar's, 2 nearly complete uppers and about 80-90 mags ready to be sold if prices go crazy

I bought them when I had more disposable income.

Now my kids are 20, 16 and 9 and there is no disposable income till they grad from college.

Best wishes

OMG- a voice of reason, that's no fun. Whats next, no beer? :)

Novak
09-11-16, 16:12
If I was in your shoes and had enough ammo "for a few years," I'd try to turn that into "for a few years and then some.". You can't go wrong with ammo.

Wake27
09-11-16, 17:24
If I was in your shoes and had enough ammo "for a few years," I'd try to turn that into "for a few years and then some.". You can't go wrong with ammo.

You really can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWAG19919
09-11-16, 18:12
Ammo will be very hard to come by in a few years. So will uppers, lowers, and magazines, but you're set there. Ammo might be hard to find or very expensive for more than "a few years".

Beat Trash
09-12-16, 08:38
Ammo. When I stocked up heavy on ammo, I was paying about $7.99 for a 550 round box of .22lr and about $0.19 per round for 5.56mm. Ammo will not go down in price. It can get regulated, just look at California with the ban on on-line ammo sales and having to have an ammo card to purchase.

Without ammo, your gun in just an expensive paper weight.

ColtSeavers
09-12-16, 10:12
Another vote for ammo.

HighDesert
09-12-16, 11:37
I am getting the message loud and clear... Going to watch the sales with free shipping and buy a case of 556 and 9mm and another 1k of 22.

Really does make the most sense since uppers were available in 2013 but just rare, where ammo was literally non existent for a few months there.

Appreciate all the input and help!

Hammertime
09-12-16, 17:35
I would buy some ammo and some stripped lowers. I bet you can scrap up more than $650! I personally am buying all the AKs, AR lowers, and ammo I can get my hands and credit card on. Get after it.

HT

Doc Safari
09-12-16, 17:40
Frankly, I did have $650 to blow, and I bought a Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II with the FA and ejection port door.

Now, I know it's not a Tier One AR. It will never be as important to me as my BCM or Colt, but that's precisely the point.

It's my truck gun, and not a bad one at that for half the price of the other AR's.

The bolt is marked "MP". The bolt carrier key is staked, maybe not quite as well as BCM or Colt, but in the ballpark. The barrel may not be chrome-plated but I understand the Melonite treatment is pretty corrosion and wear resistant, too.

All-in-all, the only thing that disgusted me was that the castle nut is "barely" staked in place, and that's an easy fix if it loosens.

The included handguards were also kinda cheesy: didn't even have heat shields. They were gone in less than 5 minutes. That's the only "upgrade" I felt was essential to give the gun.

For a half-price truck gun I think it's a good purchase since it lets me keep my "babies" for more serious SHTF.

Alnamvet68
09-12-16, 17:58
Buy 2000 rounds of IMI M193/M855 in whatever combination, and take the $50.00 left over and replenish your EZ Pass account.

w3453l
09-12-16, 20:07
I'd pass on anything 308 for now. The good semi auto 308's are way past a $650 budget, and I don't think bolt guns are going to be the first thing to go in the case of a ban. I also doubt they're going to fly off the shelves as quick as everything else.

Trixxterr
09-12-16, 20:38
Just for me, if I had the extra. I would finish the TWO, AR'S I have I .The works. One, 5.56, and one 308. And that was the question, what I would do.

PrevailFI
09-13-16, 13:37
Ammo. Children grow up and need to be taught.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Averageman
09-13-16, 15:40
I don't spend in big bundles anymore, but I made a standard monthly drop though.
5 AR G.I. magazines every payday.
1 pound of powder and 500 bullets.
500 round of 5.56 69 grain HPBT.
That is a little over something like $400 a month. I'm thinking it is an investment. I may not make any money off of it and have no intentions of selling any of it. I look at it as insurance.
I'm doing the same thing with food and water storage.
I'm feeding the 401K a Grand a month and my Son's College money is in an account waiting to pay for the Spring Semester.

onado2000
09-14-16, 07:44
...I would save some more and buy a suppressor.
That's exactly what I did, just bought a SiCo Hybrid online. What I'm thinking is get a few $5 and $200 stamps before she increases the price. IMHO her attack will be like every other vengeful psycho bitch , she'll hit our wallet.

danco
09-14-16, 09:37
Get the BCM upper. Spend anything left over on ammo...

Renegade04
09-14-16, 10:39
Given that you are saying you have numerous completed ARs, numerous completed lowers, and probably enough rounds to last for a few years, I would say to spend the money on finishing the BCM. No need to buy more lowers, another AR, or more ammo right now. That is my .02 worth.

Jellybean
09-14-16, 11:46
My two cents, if I had it my way-

-A matched pair of "go-to" rifles (2 is 1 thing, and standardization is great for your budget)
-a pair of SBRs or pistols
-a pair of my favorite fullsize handgun
-a pair of compact handguns (same brand/caliber/etc as fullsize for easy parts compatibility)
-X-amount of ammo you're comfortable to feed each for a while.
-X-number of magazines per each (potential use+ breakage, or loadout defined)
-at least 1 set of spare parts for EACH (I see a lot of folks buying guns, not so many thinking logistics)

You sound like you're probably set for a while on that score, so afterwards:

-guns to pass down to kids? (think logistically with this as well)
-Plates (armor should be considered finite in availability, soft gear not so much- I'd spend more for better plates now and buy soft gear during the panic. Also, triple curve uber alles. )
-"nice to have" items, like a suppressor[s].

If you've already got that all covered.... you suck. :p
But as has been noted, more ammo is never a bad thing....

HighDesert
09-14-16, 12:52
Well here is the final update - stumbled upon an outstanding deal on the 11.5 BCM complete upper.

Found a bcm vendor with the BFH complete uppers, bcm bcg and mod 4 charger all for 659 shipped. I'll take it!

Best deal I've seen since bcm included the bcg for free a year ago.

Feel good about it!!!

Will pick up some ammo also - some excellent deals out there.

Thanks!

misfit47
09-14-16, 13:35
You made a wise decision.

ExplorinInTheWoods
09-14-16, 14:29
That's a nice pick up.