PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED live round stuck in glock 19, cannot get into full battery cant clear acti

tigershilone
09-10-16, 19:31

tigershilone
09-10-16, 19:33
addit

MegademiC
09-10-16, 19:39
I'd put the slide in a vice and rubber mallet the barrel down to release the barrel, then pull the round out the back.

Looks like the sticker is forward, if so, I'd pull it back behind the bar that prevents it from going foreward (can't think of name right now.)

cynical
09-12-16, 11:38
Can you get the backplate off to disassemble the slide? It would be a lot safer if you could take the striker out, and if you can get the extractor out as well you should be able to move the barrel forward enough to pull the rear down and take it out.

D_M
09-12-16, 12:21
Can you get the backplate off to disassemble the slide? It would be a lot safer if you could take the striker out, and if you can get the extractor out as well you should be able to move the barrel forward enough to pull the rear down and take it out.

+1,000,000

Eliminate all possibilities of the striker smacking the live round and try as MegademiC said, put it in a vise and tap on the barrel till it breaks free.

DirectTo
09-12-16, 13:15
As mentioned above.

Try getting some lube on that bone dry barrel and around the chamber as well. May help to get it free.

svtpwnz
09-12-16, 13:53

This!

Last year I had a factory Federal round that wasn't crimped at the neck of the case and lodged into the chamber. It wouldn't go completely into battery and was stuck like hell. I just kept pulling on the slide making sure the muzzle was in a safe direction and was finally able to rack the slide and eject the round.

Joe R.
09-12-16, 15:18
Place the corner of the slide on something solid (think sturdy table, counter, door frame) make sure the muzzle is pointed in a SAFE DIRECTION!! (Did I mention SAFE DIRECTION??) Keep your finger AWAY FROM THE TRIGGER! Use both hands and push on the grip. This will very likely be enough force to open the slide. If the round is still stuck in the chamber you will at least be able to tap it out with a brass rod from the front.

Keep ALL BODY PARTS and expensive/important stuff away from the front of the muzzle when you do this. Yes, heavy emphasis on safety...

tigershilone
09-12-16, 21:28

26 Inf
09-12-16, 21:55
I believe if you measured the overall length of the two rounds you are comparing you will find the overall length of the 147gr may be a scoosh longer. Or, do a side by side comparison and see if the 'shoulders' (ogive) of the heavier projectile are further forward than the 115 grain.

The 147gr projectile is the same diameter, yet it weighs 21.76% more. That weight has to go someplace. One way to distribute the extra weight is change the shape of the round giving it a slightly shorter ogive.

I had this problem with another brand using 147gr with a LW conversion barrel. The nose of the round was already in the rifling. Force one a little and then remove it, if this is the case you should see some marks on the shoulder of the projectile.

The rounds I had this experience with fed and shot fine in factory barrels.

tigershilone
09-12-16, 22:14

26 Inf
09-12-16, 22:17
Place the corner of the slide on something solid (think sturdy table, counter, door frame) make sure the muzzle is pointed in a SAFE DIRECTION!! (Did I mention SAFE DIRECTION??) Keep your finger AWAY FROM THE TRIGGER! Use both hands and push on the grip. This will very likely be enough force to open the slide. If the round is still stuck in the chamber you will at least be able to tap it out with a brass rod from the front.

Keep ALL BODY PARTS and expensive/important stuff away from the front of the muzzle when you do this. Yes, heavy emphasis on safety...

Going to add a little to what Joe R. said. If you absolutely, positively have to get it cleared immediately - think gunfight - drop the mag and using your support hand, grasp the rear of the slide firmly in an overhand grip; take your strong hand and move it to the rear of the grip ( away from the grip).

What you are going to do is sharply impact the backstrap of the weapon right under the beavertail directing the force of the blow parallel to the slide/barrel. You want to strike it sharply enough that you strip the slide from your support hand. At that point it is important to quickly grip the pistol with your striking hand. I call this the 'air impact principle' because an air wrench works with sharp, rapid impacts.

I emphasized 'if you absolutely, positively have to get it cleared immediately - think gunfight' because it is not uncommon for the pistol to go flying out of your hands. In your case, with a live round in the chamber, the only way I would do this is in a life or death situation. If it is a failure to extract of a fired round, the same danger of shooting yourself is not present - if the mag is removed. In either case there is potential of damaging your weapon if it flies out of your hands.

FWIW

Dienekes
09-13-16, 01:06
I have to admit that I don't always chamber check each round in the gun or on me for carry--but I ought to. I have a collection of defective factory ammo from my instructing years; most of it is .38/.357 ammo, but some of it is 9mm. Maybe this ought to be a reminder...I carried a wheel gun for duty/EDC up until a few years ago.

But I load a fair amount of 9mm. Not only have I gone to a Lee "U" undersize sizing die, but I drop each new loaded round into a case gauge to check headspace and ensure that the round will drop free of the gauge when inverted. Lacking a case gauge I remove the barrel and drop a loaded round into the chamber. It should make a nice little "plook" sound and drop free also. The hood will serve as a headspace check as well.

Some years ago my daughter called me when her G19 did the same as the above. I told her to drop the mag, put a flat of the slide front against a 4x4 post (safely!), and hit the rear of the grip with her other hand. It worked.

tigershilone
09-14-16, 16:03

26 Inf
09-14-16, 16:52
I hear what you are saying, but I'm sure the chamber is to SAMMI specs, the way the MagTech bullet's shoulders are is the problem. I had the same problem with our work ammo - my conversion had shot a bunch of Montana Gold 147gr - and then the manufacturer (BVAC - now defunct) started using another round - problems ensued. These were FMJ practice bullets, not hollow points.

The shoulders were engaging the rifling in the conversion barrel, not a problem in the Glock polygonal barrel.

The MagTech round is a hollow point, and they had to put the weight someplace, ergo the shorter ogive. Your o'all length on the 9mm round is 1.000 to 1.169 - I'd be willing to bet both the CorBon and MagTech make o'all length, their noses are flat/gone.

Here is the SAAMI 9mm spec drawing: http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_drawings/Pistol/9mm%20Luger%20-%209mm%20Luger%20+P.pdf

Pretty sure Lone Wolf is adhering to those. They sell a bunch 'o barrels and I think there would be buzz if they weren't to spec.

Don't take me wrong, I'm not saying yours is not out of spec, but my guess is it is in spec, and your 147 grain bullet shape is the culprit.

Either way, good luck.

Beef15
09-14-16, 17:05
LW barrels are notorious for their short leade/throat. There is almost no taper to it. Not terribly uncommon for heavy bullet factory loads not to chamber. As a handloader I often have to go outside published data to make heavier projectiles work from mine.

They will ream it, for a charge. Throat reamers in 9mm aren't something every smith has.

clarkz71
09-18-16, 06:56
I'm no expert like some members here, but as a consumer shouldn't
Lone Wolf have a warning about "some ammo" having chambering issues?

JC5188
09-18-16, 07:29
I'm no expert like some members here, but as a consumer shouldn't
Lone Wolf have a warning about "some ammo" having chambering issues?

Not if as 26Inf said above, they are within the published spec for a 9mm, and function fine with the majority of 9mm ammo.

That sounds like an ammo issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eodinert
09-18-16, 10:20
I used to lock up my glocks fairly regular using reloads. The 'bulge' on fired glock brass doesn't always get re-sized as much as it needs to. It used to do the exact same thing as yours did.

It was an ammo issue; I wouldn't bother anyone with it if it were mine.

Coal Dragger
09-18-16, 10:51
Unless the OP intends to run lead bullets in reloaded ammo, I'd ditch the Lone Wolf barrel and revert to stock. If a suppressor host is desired there are other manufacturers who offer threaded barrels for Glocks, maybe try them. Or buy a pistol from another manufacturer that offers a suppressor ready pistol.

1_click_off
09-18-16, 11:47
I experienced the same thing with Magtech guardian gold +p 230gr in my Mark23. They would also cause BTTOH (brass to top of head!). Some would not go fully into battery and I could not eject it. I was able to push the slide forward and get it to fire. Probably not the smartest, but the 23 is a tank. I chrono'ed some of this stuff in the 23, some was just over 1000fps! Really surprised me it cycled in my PM45 with the 23 having trouble.

Had other issues with Magtech in other firearms as well. I just use it for range ammo.

daniel87
09-18-16, 12:16
Silencerco and stormlake make threaded glock barrels.

The issue with the lw barrel is a known problem

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

CrashAxe
09-18-16, 15:16
Another reminder for me of why the best reload is often a backup gun, and why I want to have shot a lot of rounds in a short period of time to verify the readiness of any gun I am thinking of betting my life on.

I took a defensive rifle class with my wife two weeks ago with some ARs that hadn't been torture tested yet, and 2 of the 4 I brought ended up going down for different relatively small reasons that I had not anticipated. An Aimpoint scope mount became wobbly, and a bolt kept requiring mortaring. Without the wring-out of them, I would not have known that there were potential issues.

2 is 1 and one is none and all that...

26 Inf, thank you for the tip.

Singlestack Wonder
09-18-16, 19:17
Get a Glock threaded barrel. Problem solved. Don't waste money on aftermarket barrels...

tigershilone
09-18-16, 22:03

tigershilone
09-18-16, 22:35

tigershilone
09-18-16, 22:53