PDA

View Full Version : (Update: upper PURCHASED!!) Questions about Knights guns

BallisticHarmony
09-10-16, 20:43
Hi guys, new here. I tried posting over on the KAC gear thread but apparently that's strictly for pictures (my mistake), and after doing some searches for general inquiries to no avail I figured I'd just start my own thread. If that's incorrect again I apologize, still finding my way around here. I just had a few questions for KAC MOD 2 owners:

1. For the 14.5" guns, are they 100% just as reliable as their 16" counterparts? I know it's the same gas system, but I assume the dwell time is slightly different. I've read elsewhere that other 14.5" middies are a bit more finicky.
2. How do they group, and what do they like?
3. Do they eat everything you feed them?
4. Does the MAMS have any advantage over QDC flash suppression if you aren't racing or splitting times? Seems like it would suck more for indoor use or for the guy next to you at the range.
5. Is it generally the consensus to keep the buffer assembly that comes with the lower, or is it recommended to upgrade to A5/Sprinco? I hear they already work great out of the box. I'm more concerned with reliability than lightest impulse possible.
6. How do they compare to other high quality manufacturers like LMT or Noveske?

Thanks in advance

cop1211
09-10-16, 21:31
Hi guys, new here. I tried posting over on the KAC gear thread but apparently that's strictly for pictures (my mistake), and after doing some searches for general inquiries to no avail I figured I'd just start my own thread. If that's incorrect again I apologize, still finding my way around here. I just had a few questions for KAC MOD 2 owners:

1. For the 14.5" guns, are they 100% just as reliable as their 16" counterparts? I know it's the same gas system, but I assume the dwell time is slightly different. I've read elsewhere that other 14.5" middies are a bit more finicky.
4. Does the MAMS have any advantage over QDC flash suppression if you aren't racing or splitting times? Seems like it would suck more for indoor use or for the guy next to you at the range.
5. Is it generally the consensus to keep the buffer assembly that comes with the lower, or is it recommended to upgrade to A5/Sprinco? I hear they already work great out of the box. I'm more concerned with reliability than lightest impulse possible.

Thanks in advance

1. I have several 16's, 14.5's, and a 11.5. All have been reliable.
2. The group as good as the shooter can shoot.
3.Yes, no issues from any of mine with a variety of ammo, ( no steel case, or cheap Honduran etc.).
4. MAMS is a nice muzzle device, I don't think its too bad, definitely not like a full brake.
5. They work just fine out of the box, I have some with the A5, some with standard, to me I like the A5 slightly better.
6. I think they are the best out of the box rifle.
YMMV

wilson1911
09-10-16, 21:49
If this is going to be your first rifle, I would just buy a 16 " gun. The 14.5 your not going to notice much, I do not like pinned rifles. They eat all ammo from brown bear, wolf, tula, M855 or anything else you can think of to put in it. They are the best shooting rifle out of the box.....the epitome of achievement in an AR. Mine is constantly hungry. Go to youtube and watch a vid of the cookie monster, this is how a kac runs.

If you want to save some cash, go buy a bcm, and drive it like you stole it. Any of the 4 or 5 major brands will get the job done. I am not going to discourage you from buying a kac if you can afford it.

I run 16's + Mams + QDC silencer.

BallisticHarmony
09-10-16, 22:26
Thanks guys, much appreciated. They are slick rifles and my first choice by far, just wanted to ask some owners. I've seen every review and test on the Internet (I think), and they seem like absolute winners.

og556
09-10-16, 22:36
Regarding the A5 receiver extension, I use one with my SR 15 Mod 2 MLOK with MAMS device. I use the standard (A5H2?) buffer the A5 kit shipped with but with a green springco spring. This is the flattest shooting rifle I've ever shot. That includes comparing to 18" rifle gas AR's.

This combo has ruined all other AR 15's for me. I couldn't be happier with the performance and reliability thus far.

BallisticHarmony
09-10-16, 23:15
Regarding the A5 receiver extension, I use one with my SR 15 Mod 2 MLOK with MAMS device. I use the standard (A5H2?) buffer the A5 kit shipped with but with a green springco spring. This is the flattest shooting rifle I've ever shot. That includes comparing to 18" rifle gas AR's.

This combo has ruined all other AR 15's for me. I couldn't be happier with the performance and reliability thus far.

Nice, that's the combo I've been looking at. I was extra interested when I heard about the Magpul UBR Gen 2 accepting A5 lengths. That would be such a badass addition to the MOD 2 MLOK.

Plasman
09-10-16, 23:57

Smoothest combo with the 16" IMO is a Sprinco Blue spring with the CAR buffer. I tried a variety of buffers and springs with both the A5 system (A5H0-A5H3 buffers, mil spec and Sprinco green springs) and regular carbine system (CAR-H2 buffers, JP, mil spec, and Sprinco blue springs) and that's what felt best to me and an inexperienced shooter (who did a blind test with these setups).

BallisticHarmony
09-11-16, 00:33
Smoothest combo with the 16" IMO is a Sprinco Blue spring with the CAR buffer. I tried a variety of buffers and springs with both the A5 system (A5H0-A5H3 buffers, mil spec and Sprinco green springs) and regular carbine system (CAR-H2 buffers, JP, mil spec, and Sprinco blue springs) and that's what felt best to me and an inexperienced shooter (who did a blind test with these setups).

That's very interesting. I take it CAR is not identical to what come stock from KAC?

Serious Account
09-11-16, 00:46
Regarding the SR-15 buffer..

16" version comes with CAR buffer.

14" comes with HH (H2) buffer.

Someone here correct me if I'm wrong.

trauma
09-11-16, 00:49
KAC is like crack, you ain't gonna just walk away unscathed OP. The real question is what your 2nd or 3rd upper/gun is gonna be. How many KAC cans will you buy? How many SR25s do you really need? How many triple taps can you acquire?

http://49.media.tumblr.com/a0b22bf0b1d6cc25c4a99a59a2e91190/tumblr_ng1g5eXjQ01s2wio8o1_500.gif

BallisticHarmony
09-11-16, 01:16
KAC is like crack, you ain't gonna just walk away unscathed OP. The real question is what your 2nd or 3rd upper/gun is gonna be. How many KAC cans will you buy? How many SR25s do you really need? How many triple taps can you acquire?

http://49.media.tumblr.com/a0b22bf0b1d6cc25c4a99a59a2e91190/tumblr_ng1g5eXjQ01s2wio8o1_500.gif

Why was the Triple Tap discontinued? And I'm still curious why so many people ditch the QDC flash suppressor for MAMS, etc. The US military seems quite happy with birdcages and I'd genuinely like to know why many civilians are not.

Falar
09-11-16, 03:35
Why was the Triple Tap discontinued? And I'm still curious why so many people ditch the QDC flash suppressor for MAMS, etc. The US military seems quite happy with birdcages and I'd genuinely like to know why many civilians are not.

Brakes/comps aren't so great for the guy standing next to you, especially indoors. Also signature reduction is a higher priority to the military as well.

For us in the civilian world where we can shoot solo and want the fastest splits and not worry about our muzzle signature at night then voila, that's why MAMS is so popular.

Mr. Goodtimes
09-11-16, 07:32

Thanks in advance

1. There all equally reliable from what I've seen.

2. My 16in MOD 2 is about a 2 MOA gun with an Aimpoint T2 and CBC 5.56. I'd wager that with a good magnified optic and better ammo it's MOA or SUB MOA. Read around, the SR-15 is typically an MOA 'ish rifle.

3. I haven't fed it steel case but then again, I put Shell V Power in my Tacoma. It eats Federal value pack no problem.

4. The QDC will suppress flash better than the MAMS, the MAMS will reduce muzzle climb though. I'm not in a huge hurry to put a MAMS on my rifle. I'm not shooting competition at a level where a 1/100th faster split time matters.

5. Why **** with it? It works. If it ain't broke don't fix it. KAC designed the gas system around the use of the CAR buffer system.

6. KAC is the standard by which everyone else is judged. The SR-15 represents the pinnacle of AR-15 technology and development. There is no better AR-15 pattern rifle on the market. Same goes for the SR-25. Knights doesn't release products that don't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spin Drift
09-11-16, 07:54
KAC are my go to rifles. After thinning the herd, they are all I have left.

Pick up a Mod 2 (I like M-lok), you will have a very hard time putting it down.

You can have cheap, you can have good. Pick which one you want.

I've NEVER lost a dime on any KAC rifles. Reed has massaged the platform, gas system is super, ambi controls, KAC buis are great, I was thrilled at how light the Mod 2 was.

The MAMS just works (EFAB looks to be just as good), try one. If someone at the one-way range doesn't like it, they can move.

OP, I guess LMT and then Noveske, in that order, if you don't go with KAC.

Good Luck.

wilson1911
09-11-16, 09:34
Since this is turning into a fan boy thread. There are lots of good rifles to pick from out of the "drive it like you stole it class". They will work just as well, but not feel the same when you shoot one. You can lay 10 rifles on a table and shoot them without looking to see which one it is, and pick the kac out every time. I assume you have done quite a bit of reading between rifles like BCM, Noveske, DD, and kac. If its your first, I could say just pick one. Your going to end up with a few anyway.

As other posters have stated, there is a reason kac buyers continue to retain their purchase for along time, unless upgrading to a newer kac. They are light and balance very well. The upgrades to the lower were the biggest selling point to me since I am a lefty.

Like spin, I have sold all my non Kac rifles off. I now have 2 carbon copies of each other.

I am just trying to caution you on purchasing a kac. It will corrupt you.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc171/jeep4tw/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-06/7546B3BE-AB88-4D58-9E47-6F381E3F142C.jpg

Johnson184
09-11-16, 10:53
Any of you have both the Mod 1 and Mod 2?
Which do you prefer? The Mod 1 rail is so damn sexy...

Spin Drift
09-11-16, 13:02
I confess, I'm a Knight's fan boy…no doubt. But this is after Colt, JP, DD, LMT, DPMS, Bushmaster...

Left eye dominant, so the ambi lower is huge to me.

The Mod 1 has a good rail, the Mod 2 is smaller in diameter and smooth, but I have pretty big hands, either works for me. I didn't put the synthetic grip panels on my Mod 2, usually stays cool enough, and if I'm throwing a bunch of lead, will have my gloves on anyway.

To me, as long as there is a top rail of decent length, that's basically all I need on a .223. Plenty of room for a light or clip-on, don't usually run a bipod on this type of set-up.

Wilson said it, they are light and balance very well. If you do get a suppressor, KAC makes a good one. And both Mod 1 and Mod 2 run like sewing machines, just about any ammo, with or without a suppressor. I wish all my firearms ran as well as my Knight's.

To the question: I'd buy the Mod 2. Put on a RDS, you're done.

Good Luck.

BallisticHarmony
09-11-16, 15:28
Thanks for all your advice and encouraging words, guys. I'm happy to announce that I've purchased an upper from Boltcarrier!! Can't wait, can't wait. Today is quite fitting for such a decision, I'd say.

14.5" pinned and welded MOD 2 MLOK

jpmuscle
09-11-16, 15:29
Hell yea. Getcha some. The urx 4 is fast becoming my favorite.

GH41
09-11-16, 16:07
I wouldn't have published the order number.

BallisticHarmony
09-11-16, 16:22
I wouldn't have published the order number.

Noted, thx

wilson1911
09-11-16, 16:37
I may have missed it......but what are you doing for a lower ? How come not a complete gun ?
The trigger is a big selling point also, unless your putting in a Giselle.

Aron at boltcarrier is a great guy to deal with.

BallisticHarmony
09-11-16, 16:42
I may have missed it......but what are you doing for a lower ? How come not a complete gun ?
The trigger is a big selling point also, unless your putting in a Giselle.

Aron at boltcarrier is a great guy to deal with.

I'm in California, which has banned SR-15 lowers. I'll have to order an SR-30 or other alternative.

Question: Boltcarrier just charged my card twice. I hope this is just an error or something, but has anyone else had this issue

hk91308
09-11-16, 18:53
I'm in California, which has banned SR-15 lowers. I'll have to order an SR-30 or other alternative.

Question: Boltcarrier just charged my card twice. I hope this is just an error or something, but has anyone else had this issue
The charge is probably just a pending charge and will fall off. Ayan is good to go and if it's truly an incorrect double charge he will fix it.

Congrats on your KAC...Now try to find yourself an SR30 lower. I've seen people mat them on other lowers as well and that still works, but the highlights are the ambi features and KAC trigger as previously posted

BallisticHarmony
09-11-16, 19:52
Will do, thanks. Those lowers look amazing

w3453l
09-12-16, 19:50
Yes definitely get the SR-30 lower. I'm in CA too, and with the new laws coming it was worth the extra few $'s to get the full KAC rifle. Think of it as a big F U to CA

BallisticHarmony
09-12-16, 21:56
Yes definitely get the SR-30 lower. I'm in CA too, and with the new laws coming it was worth the extra few $'s to get the full KAC rifle. Think of it as a big F U to CA

How is the lower? I need a little more convincing, I'm finding it hard to justify dropping $800 on it when I know I'm already gonna swap out the A2 grip and stock. I know it has killer components, though.

w3453l
09-12-16, 23:19
Apart from the grip, and depending on personal preferance, the stock I'd say it's perfect.

-The two stage trigger is very comparable to a Geissele. At least to the point where it's not worth swapping to a Geissele in my opinion.

-The SR-30 will come with a KAC H2 buffer, which is the way KAC intended the 14.5" to be setup.

-I know in CA the ambi mag release is moot, but if you find yourself in a free state later it is a great feature.

-You should be able to sell the SOPMOD stock for a decent amount without a problem.

-The build quality/finish is on par with the upper, but that's a given.

-I know this one is not at all necessary, but that roll mark...

Another member above already mentioned that you can't build the same lower yourself. The left side mag release is built in by design of the lower, not an after thought or after market upgrade. Yes there's other ambi lowers out there, but j like that this one is forged and about as close to the basic mil spec forged lowers. I'm just not that into all the flashy billet lowers out there. I know that last part doesn't mean much, but I thought it's worth mentioning.

hk91308
09-12-16, 23:23
Apart from the grip, and depending on personal preferance, the stock I'd say it's perfect.

-The two stage trigger is very comparable to a Geissele. At least to the point where it's not worth swapping to a Geissele in my opinion.

-The SR-30 will come with a KAC H2 buffer, which is the way KAC intended the 14.5" to be setup.

-I know in CA the ambi mag release is moot, but if you find yourself in a free state later it is a great feature.

-You should be able to sell the SOPMOD stock for a decent amount without a problem.

-The build quality/finish is on par with the upper, but that's a given.

-I know this one is not at all necessary, but that roll mark...

Another member above already mentioned that you can't build the same lower yourself. The left side mag release is built in by design of the lower, not an after thought or after market upgrade. Yes there's other ambi lowers out there, but j like that this one is forged and about as close to the basic mil spec forged lowers. I'm just not that into all the flashy billet lowers out there. I know that last part doesn't mean much, but I thought it's worth mentioning.

All this as posted here and throughout the thread. Yes you can run it and live with a cheaper lower, but to have a complete KAC with matching lowers and uppers it a true sr15. Take the leap and makes your done right :-) being in CA sounds like this is your last chance , if it were me I'd do it

BallisticHarmony
09-12-16, 23:26
Thanks, good info. Hopefully after January 1st, I can convert the ambi mag release to be fully functional since bullet buttons can be taken off anyway. Although I'll need to register it as an AW....

SR-30 lower it is!!!

Plasman
09-13-16, 11:25
I'll go against the grain. I don't think the SR-30 lower is worth it.

I considered picking up an SR-30 lower when I got my 16" MOD2 upper last year (I'm in CA too), but after thinking about it, functionality is what mattered to me, and the SR-30 lower didn't do anything over a regular lower (or anything that wasn't an absolutely awful value). I couldn't use the ambi mag release, and I'd probably end up swapping the trigger anyways (I REALLY like the Super-T, such that I've replaced most of my SSA/G2S' with them). I'd also be playing around with the buffer system to tune it in to my liking.

To me, the true heart of an SR-15 is in the upper (BCG, barrel, and gas system).

That said, if you don't fiddle around with your guns and really want a "complete Knight's gun" for the status/collector's sake, it's the only choice you have.

hk91308
09-13-16, 11:30
I'll go against the grain. I don't think the SR-30 lower is worth it.

I considered picking up an SR-30 lower when I got my 16" MOD2 upper last year (I'm in CA too), but after thinking about it, functionality is what mattered to me, and the SR-30 lower didn't do anything over a regular lower (or anything that wasn't an absolutely awful value). I couldn't use the ambi mag release, and I'd probably end up swapping the trigger anyways (I REALLY like the Super-T, such that I've replaced most of my SSA/G2S' with them). I'd also be playing around with the buffer system to tune it in to my liking.

To me, the true heart of an SR-15 is in the upper (BCG, barrel, and gas system).

That said, if you don't fiddle around with your guns and really want a "complete Knight's gun" for the status/collector's sake, it's the only choice you have.

So what lower and buffer system did you go with? How was the upper to lower fitting, lose-tight- just the same as a Knights lower?

Plasman
09-13-16, 13:42
So what lower and buffer system did you go with? How was the upper to lower fitting, lose-tight- just the same as a Knights lower?

I just built up off of a simple Aero lower and put my LMT SOPMOD stock from my MWS on the gun. Fitment is very snug (more than my BCM complete gun). No clue on how an actual Knight's receiver would fit together since they're so rare here.

If you read up to my first post in this thread you'll see that I ended up with a CAR buffer and Sprinco Blue spring as the smoothest and flattest combo out of various A5 and standard carbine system combinations.

hk91308
09-13-16, 14:48
I just built up off of a simple Aero lower and put my LMT SOPMOD stock from my MWS on the gun. Fitment is very snug (more than my BCM complete gun). No clue on how an actual Knight's receiver would fit together since they're so rare here.

If you read up to my first post in this thread you'll see that I ended up with a CAR buffer and Sprinco Blue spring as the smoothest and flattest combo out of various A5 and standard carbine system combinations.

Good info for those who don't have the complete sr15 or matching lowers. I only asked because my friend decided to try an SR15 upper on his factory Noveske lower and reported the fit was more snug than with his KAC lower and allran smoothly.

scooter22
09-13-16, 15:00
As a right hander, I find absolutely zero utility in a KAC lower.

I have one complete rifle, but I will stick to "standard" lowers for any future KAC uppers.