PDA

View Full Version : Paddle Holster advice for family members new to carrying pistols- Glock 19 with TLR1

CrashAxe
09-11-16, 07:00
I have learned from my neighbors that I have had a cougar hanging out around my 25 acre property that is showing way too little fear. My area is also thick with coyotes and is wolf country.

In addition to the other standard cougar discouraging measures such as adding lighting, not leaving food outside, etc, I am getting Glock 19's for each of my family members (wife, 19 year old daughter, 22 year old son) and putting a Streamlight TLR1 HL on them. I am wanting to get them paddle holsters for easy donning and doffing, as they won't want to carry 24/7.

Due to the soundproof nature of my house, it is not always likely that someone yelling for help would be heard from inside. My neighbors are far enough away that they would not hear someone yelling for help. my various family members are sometimes alone at the house and need to venture out during darkness, so having 2 or more people present is not an option many times.

I am looking for a good paddle holster for the pistols that will not have complex retention. I would prefer friction retention only, but would consider a simple retention method like Safariland's SLS. I am familiar with the SLS retention method as I wore that holster as a duty holster in both a belt and a drop leg model.

I do not know how easy the ALS system is for a person new to holsters.

As a practical manner, my family members are not much into guns unlike me, so I am fairly certain that my family members won't be willing to practice drawing to truly remain proficient, thus I am looking for a holster that will have a KISS draw.

My family members are at a basic proficiency level with a pistol, and I don't want anything to slow or stop their draw should they need to have the pistol in hand. I will be schooling them up on stress-based shooting.

What recommendations do you all have for a good, easy-drawing paddle holster?

joedirt199
09-11-16, 07:13
Bladetech would be easier than the safariland. Only retention to keep it in is friction so no buttons or thumb releases. With that gun combo you have ample companies to choose from

ruchik
09-11-16, 13:59
G-code makes a fine line of injection molded, level 1 holsters that can be had with just about any attachment method under the sun you'd like.

jmoore
09-11-16, 14:17
Going back to Safariland......
The GLS is far more instinctive to a newbie than the ALS, and it still has positive retention - and to some of us, that positive retention component is very important. As always - YMMV.

john