PDA

View Full Version : What billet set to build on?

Kenneth
09-12-16, 15:34
Looking to build a new rifle and looking at a matched receiver set. Money isn't really an object but I'm not paying $1000 for a receiver set.

Looking at Mega, Santan Tactical, SMOS, BAD. You get the drift.

Rifle will be an SBR and will become my main shooter.

What set would you choose and any others to look at?

I am a righty but Ambi is a nice feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fledge
09-12-16, 15:58
Add CMT to your list. With them you can make matching uppers with a variety of uppers they make. With or without FA. No problem. Got an itch for 458 SOCOM. They got that upper too. Etc.

Kenneth
09-12-16, 15:59
I haven't checked them out at all. I will look.

dmd08
09-12-16, 16:46
I used San tan for a precision build because I wanted to try an ambi lower. I like it a lot. I've been looking at a Mega ambi lower also just because.

Kenneth
09-12-16, 16:48
How would the San tan do for a fighting gun? The mega' look nice as well.

I just want the highest quality I can get because this will be my last full AR build for awhile.

GH41
09-12-16, 17:12
For an SBR ambi lower. One choice... KAC! I have a MEGA ambi lower and the two tiny screws worry the hell out of me. Good thing I'll never have a stamp.

Kenneth
09-12-16, 17:13
Of course KAC gets a nod but they don't sell lowers by themselves.
At least I don't think so.

fledge
09-12-16, 17:22
Of course KAC gets a nod but they don't sell lowers by themselves.
At least I don't think so.

http://www.smallarmsales.com/product-p/25780.htm

Kenneth
09-12-16, 17:26
$850. Lol! If they sold a stripped version maybe.

GH41
09-12-16, 19:33
$850. Lol! If they sold a stripped version maybe.

You need to do some math. You cannot build a true ambi lower with a decent trigger any cheaper. Make me laugh and prove me wrong. Post up your parts list and cost to do it.

Kenneth
09-12-16, 20:13
It's not about that. It has a buffer tube, stock, trigger, buffer, spring that I wouldn't use.

SteveL
09-12-16, 20:32
It's not about that. It has a buffer tube, stock, trigger, buffer, spring that I wouldn't use.

So does this mean you're planning to use an A5 system?

bad aim
09-12-16, 20:33
The ADM billet lower is one of the very few ambi lowers that also have an ambi bolt release. If I were going to pick up a billet lower today, it would be that one.

Kenneth
09-12-16, 20:36
So does this mean you're planning to use an A5 system?

Yes that is the plan.

Kenneth
09-12-16, 20:37
The ADM billet lower is one of the very few ambi lowers that also have an ambi bolt release. If I were going to pick up a billet lower today, it would be that one.

I heard they were building lowers but I haven't seen one.

cdmiller
09-12-16, 23:22
I have currently have two builds underway. One is a SBR'ed AXTS ambi lower with a 10.5" .300BLK Mega upper. The other is an ADM lower build with one 14.5" pinned 5.56 ADM upper and a 16" 6.5 Grendel MUR upper. I have shot rifles owned by others with both these lowers as well as with Mega and San Tan lowers. If I had to do it again, I would have two ADMs. Actually three as I am currently waiting for non-Duty ADM lowers to be back in stock. The thing I like most about the ADM lowers is that if any of the proprietary ambi parts break, you can replace them with standard AR parts and the rifle is back up and running.

Kenneth
09-13-16, 03:44
^^^ I was wondering about that.

Speaking of the ADM did they change their tooling? I see the lowers with rectangles on the mag wells but the new ones are more like triangles.

I want the rectangles if anyone knows where to get one. I can't find one in stock.

GH41
09-13-16, 06:08

And the tube, stock, trigger, buffer and spring have a retail value of $700. If you package priced them at $350 it would sell quick. $500 for a SR15 lower with small parts is only a $100 premium over the billet ambi lowers.

jerrysimons
09-13-16, 07:42
Rainier Arms Ultramatch Mod 3 lower and Ultramatch upper receiver set is real nice.

AXTS is the most ambidextrous and functionally enhanced lower out there but they went the way of complete guns only.

Seriously, nothing beats the Knight's SR-15 forged ambi lower. The LWRCI IC lower comes close, they are more difficult to find separately and similarly are only sold as complete lowers when available. KAC has better parts support for the proprietary bits and is more of a known quality and with customer service track record over LWRCI. LWRCI IC lower has a right side bolt catch (that makes the left side bolt release a little stiff) and is also forged. It comes with a POS stock instead of a SOPMOD.

I have a LWRCI IC lower. I wish I would have bought the KAC SR 15/30 lower.

Stickman
09-13-16, 13:11
Add CMT to your list. With them you can make matching uppers with a variety of uppers they make. With or without FA. No problem. Got an itch for 458 SOCOM. They got that upper too. Etc.

http://66.media.tumblr.com/fcd819294b4dc42e3f86f15ca6079c91/tumblr_ochh7bGjBk1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

titsonritz
09-13-16, 13:20
For an SBR ambi lower. One choice... KAC!

Not billet, but begs the question, why billet in the first place?

nate89
09-13-16, 14:28
I have two of the Rainier Ultramatch lowers (no experience with the uppers) that I have been very happy with. Unless you are getting a greater utility from a billet lower, I'd say forged is just fine. The reason I went with the Rainier lowers was the addition of the ambi mag release and ambi bolt release. The magwell is also flared, which is nice. I'm a lefty, and I had to factor the $60+ cost to add an ambi mag release to a standard lower, and with the added utility of the ambi bolt release I felt like it was a good value for the money.

awdxtc
09-13-16, 16:00
2A armament

bad aim
09-13-16, 20:06
I heard they were building lowers but I haven't seen one.

?

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/895/

Cane55
09-13-16, 20:26
Not billet, but begs the question, why billet in the first place?

Is billet as strong as forged lowers?

Kenneth
09-13-16, 20:33
?

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/895/

Lol they were not in stock yesterday.

cdmiller
09-13-16, 21:46
Lol they were not in stock yesterday.

No they weren't. And now I have another lower on its way. 😃

On the KAC note, I like them but I find them pricey when comparing the built out price of my current ADM lower including the Geissele trigger, A5 setup, et al. I would not turn down a compete SR-15 with a M-LOK URX4 at a good price but don't see the point of starting with the lower instead of just buying the complete rifle.

I use the ADM lowers now because standard parts fit if necessary, both quality and price are good, and I can pick every single part for the build. I do not like "settling" for what someone else thinks is best for me or ending up with random extra parts. On that note, I wonder which upper I'll use this time? (ADM's upper has too loose a barrel fit for my taste.) I know this one will get a MagPul A5 extension instead of a VLTOR or BCM just to try. It will definitely be getting a 14.5" Faxon barrel and a Superlative Arms piston kit as my first piston AR. The joy of trying new things. 😉

Kenneth
09-14-16, 02:07
Can someone say which design the new lowers are? I see two different versions. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160914/8d3cae594cf531543e7dcfcac42d7b4c.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160914/a1bc94998512d6c6c03cf8ddf956349c.jpg

If it is the rectangles then I thought about a santan tactical upper due to it having similar rectangles in the upper

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160914/76c42eab1cc93001cafc3130272cd9b8.jpg

LaserTag
09-14-16, 11:23
Mega is very nice and extremely well machined. I suggest them. I also like their monolithic upper choices taking strength and accuracy to the highest levels. I've had 2 Mega sets and the fit/finish is outstanding. Absolutely zero play or gaps. One of the sets were so tightly fit I had to break it open over my knee for cleaning but the other was perfection squared. The Spikes billet sets would be my next choice as I'd find it entertaining to build themed AR's. For example their hog lower for a .300blk pig gun or Jack set for a 20" sniper build. Just entertaining. ADM would be my next choice. They do things right. KAC is very pricey but one gets quality for their currency notes. However where KAC drops off my list is with their product availability to customers. Once you've shot out a barrel you have to buy an entirely new upper if you want KAC's E3 system. Seeing as bolts usually outlast barrels their "advantage" over standard AR's is completely void and becomes a parts liability. You can buy one of their bolts, but for what purpose aside from a back-up for one barrel that may last 20,000 rounds? Nothing to do with their lower, but that is why I find KAC wanting. If they don't want to offer the components externally, fine, but have them readily available for those who've purchased your pricey rifles.

fledge
09-14-16, 14:59
If it is the rectangles then I thought about a santan tactical upper due to it having similar rectangles in the upper

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160914/76c42eab1cc93001cafc3130272cd9b8.jpg

The ADM is similar to my AXTS lower that I out a San Tan upper on. It's a good match. The Geissele rail also completes that match well.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b556/fledge2000/AXTS/286F3BA3-718E-491C-BFE5-8EC847E08FD9_zpszghh4qk1.jpeg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/fledge2000/media/AXTS/286F3BA3-718E-491C-BFE5-8EC847E08FD9_zpszghh4qk1.jpeg.html)

Kenneth
09-14-16, 20:09
Fledge, that's what I was looking for. Very nice set.

cdmiller
09-14-16, 20:28
I have not seen that San Tan upper. Can anyone who has experience with them tell me how tight is the barrel extension to receiver fit? I am wanting something tighter like a Vltor MUR or Mega. Not loose like the ADM upper.

This is on its way back to me from Combat Shooters in a few days. Subtle version of Kryptek Highlander.

Also, anybody know what I am doing wrong? I've tried twice and it's still upside down. Stupid iPhone. Never have this problem on my computer.

Pushbutton2
09-14-16, 20:42
Anyone have any experience with a Black Rain Ordinance set?
A friend recommended them to me for my first build.
Still haven't decided.
Not sure caliber I want or what I intend to do with it etc etc

Pushbutton2
09-14-16, 21:07
I have not seen that San Tan upper. Can anyone who has experience with them tell me how tight is the barrel extension to receiver fit? I am wanting something tighter like a Vltor MUR or Mega. Not loose like the ADM upper.

This is on its way back to me from Combat Shooters in a few days. Subtle version of Kryptek Highlander.

Also, anybody know what I am doing wrong? I've tried twice and it's still upside down. Stupid iPhone. Never have this problem on my computer.

I used my IPad
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160915/18925bd3a5e53b8fea22374bf43d78f5.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160915/14e641159a33d7f3f891e56d86c1341d.jpg

cdmiller
09-14-16, 22:10
Thanks. Think I know the problem. When I got the email notification, I could see you did it with Tapatalk. I was just isn't the phone browser to upload directly to the forum.

jackblack73
09-14-16, 22:18
The ADM is similar to my AXTS lower that I out a San Tan upper on. It's a good match. The Geissele rail also completes that match well.

I don't think this is correct at all. The ADM used to look similar to the AXTS lowers, but the newer models appear to have the angled "cross bar." Perhaps they're trying to make it look less like the AXTS now.

fledge
09-14-16, 22:23
I don't think this is correct at all. The ADM used to look similar to the AXTS lowers, but the newer models appear to have the angled "cross bar." Perhaps they're trying to make it look less like the AXTS now.

Not trying to misinform. Earlier in this thread both versions were shared.

Kenneth
09-15-16, 01:01
Yea that's what I'm worried about. I believe they changed the design of the rectangles to triangle shapes. I want the rectangles back.

fledge
09-15-16, 01:18
If you like the appearance and if "money is no object," take a hard look at the AXTS 10.5". Order in pistol configuration then form 1 it. Yeah, it's $2500 but it's a work of art all around.

ExplorinInTheWoods
09-15-16, 14:12
If it isn't a precision competition rifle I just run forged, lighter and less cost. I hate drop or expanded trigger guards, flared magwells are cool especially for 3 gun but really I rather get forged. If I were to do matched billet I would do SMOS they make noveske stuff so they must be pretty decent.