PDA

View Full Version : What is this for?

.357sigger
09-07-08, 05:03
I saw a LMT lower for sale on here that had a KNS precision non rotating trigger and hammer pin kit. What is this designed to do? What is the point of it? When should something like this be used? Thanks...

Robb Jensen
09-07-08, 09:28
Anti-rotational pins are used for saving wear at the holes in the lower. Many use them on guns that are particularly hard on the pins and lowers like 9mm, .45ACP etc. Because they are bolted together some people use them as anti-walk pins which isn't really required if the lower is assembled correctly.
I use them because it makes for a very consistent trigger pull since the pins don't move. If the pins move the trigger and hammer are in a different spots on the pins thus the feel of the trigger pull will feel different from shot to shot.

.357sigger
09-07-08, 17:05
How easy are these kits to install? Do you need any special tools? Do you just push the old pins out and put the new ones in? Sorry if I sound ignorant on the subject...

Robb Jensen
09-07-08, 17:17
How easy are these kits to install? Do you need any special tools? Do you just push the old pins out and put the new ones in? Sorry if I sound ignorant on the subject...

It comes with the two allen wrenches you'll need but they suck. I use my own.

Installing the KNS trigger pin:
I use a Glock tool and tap the tool my hand too start the trigger pin out a little (1/16" or so), then install the brass KNS pin starter on the KNS trigger pin using the lowers standard pin as a slave then press on the KNS pin through and the standard pin will drop out. I've seen lots of people put the wrong KNS pin in the wrong location....The pin that has a notch in the middle is the hammer pin.

Installing the KNS hammer pin:
Install the KNS brass KNS pin starter if installing Gen1 pins. If installing Gen2 pins there isn't a KNS pin starter used on the KNS hammer pin. Tap the standard trigger pin out a little and then use the KNS pin applying steady pressure until the KNS pin replaces the standard pin. Then install the to crossbars and tighten down the two allen screws.

.357sigger
09-07-08, 17:33
I have never attempted to do this before....I assume that it comes with instructions? Can I use something other than the glock tool...b/c I dont have one...what should I use in its place. Thanks for all the help.:)

Robb Jensen
09-07-08, 17:40
I have never attempted to do this before....I assume that it comes with instructions? Can I use something other than the glock tool...b/c I dont have one...what should I use in its place. Thanks for all the help.:)

Actually I don't think they come with instructions, you can use a 3/32 punch, just don't go crazy pounding on the pins. Just a nudge will move them.

.357sigger
09-07-08, 17:54
Ok cool....thatnks for all of the extra guidance. Just one more noob question...
G&R has two sizes listed..which one should I buy? This is going on an LMT defender lower...and the trigger pin is the pin right above the trigger and the hammer pin is the one above it...correct? I love being educated...lol:D

here it is:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=NRTHP&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DKNSP

Robb Jensen
09-07-08, 18:05
Ok cool....thatnks for all of the extra guidance. Just one more noob question...
G&R has two sizes listed..which one should I buy? This is going on an LMT defender lower...and the trigger pin is the pin right above the trigger and the hammer pin is the one above it...correct? I love being educated...lol:D

here it is:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=NRTHP&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DKNSP

You want the 'small' pins = .154" diameter.

.357sigger
09-07-08, 18:20
Thanks again...I have a few on order....Grant if you read this I will be looking forward to a bunch of goodies....along with the upper I am anxiously awaiting:D

cathellsk
09-08-08, 21:03
You want the 'small' pins = .154" diameter.

What size for a Colt 6920?

rob_s
09-08-08, 21:14
What size for a Colt 6920?

the ones that aren't .154";)

ARin
09-08-08, 21:15
mark has them on every carbean

Fringe
09-08-08, 21:18

Funny, I read he was a BIG fan too.

cathellsk
09-08-08, 21:35

Thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure. Thanks Rob.:)

MH64
09-10-08, 12:48

Careful now.
They list .154, .155 and .170.

Colt uses .170.

Gomez
09-10-08, 13:05
At Tac Pro, we use them on all of the test guns because the holes in the receivers tend to wallow out somewhere around the third rebuild.

Generally, we get about four or five upper rebuilds out of each lower and each lower remains serviceable for four or five iterations.

Figuring that we do about 10K to 15K FA per upper [we shoot the barrels to destruction] and 4 or 5 uppers per lower, that works out to between 40,000 and 75,000 rounds between lower rebuilds and we don't really see pins starting to walk until the third lower rebuild.

Given that, I don't use them on my personal guns, but there's no harm in using them that I'm aware of.

Ventura
09-10-08, 13:11
What side of the frame do you remove the pin/start the install from?

.357sigger
09-10-08, 19:31
I too would be curious as to which side you should start from...if it matters at all? As well as which pin you should swap out first...if that matters also? Thanks.

MH64
09-11-08, 14:40
These are the instructions printed on the bag of a Gen 2 .154 set I got from KNS.

Be sure gun is unloaded and pointed in a safe direction
Trigger pin is internally threaded on each end. Use pointed tool to simultaneously push out old trigger pin and feed in new trigger pin.
Push out old hammer pin about 1/8" with a punch and finish
pushing out with new hammer pin. Install connectors over ends of
hammer pin & align holes over trigger pin. Install screws in
trigger pin. Do not over-tighten, snug will do. KEEP WELL OILED

Have four sets of the Gen 2's, 2 for .170 and 2 for .154. They are all marked the same.

RallySoob
09-11-08, 14:44
make sure and lube it, makes for an easier installation. It is the easiest thing I have installed on my lower so no worries mon

markm
09-11-08, 14:57

I see in this month's Blue Press that there are now MORE brilliant front sight post designs/models from KNS!!!

(anyone who desecrates a Colt with KNS pins should BURN AT THE STAKE!) :mad:

markm
09-11-08, 14:59
Careful now.
They list .154, .155 and .170.

Colt uses .170.

Aren't the 155s are for after you've ruined your lower with the 154s?

.357sigger
09-12-08, 05:29
Got the kits installed on my lowers...it took less that 5 min. Looks good too:cool:

tango-papa
09-12-08, 13:37

I don't have an opinion about KNS pins, but that's funny...:p

Robb Jensen
09-12-08, 13:44

If you ruin your lower using the .154" KNS pins then I would say you have smithin' skill of a trunk monkey and might be a mouth breather. :D j/k

.357sigger
09-12-08, 14:17
If you ruin your lower using the .154" KNS pins then I would say you have smithin' skill of a trunk monkey and might be a mouth breather. :D j/k

If at first you don't succeed....get a bigger hammer :p