PDA

View Full Version : Brownells is already stirring the hype to increase sales....

Singlestack Wonder
09-13-16, 14:26
Just received an e-mail from Brownells kicking off the clinton gun ban hype in an effort to start a run on their inventory....

Averageman
09-13-16, 14:31
That's mighty "Cheaper than Dirt" of them.

Firefly
09-13-16, 14:33
In better times, Brownells had this quiet dignity about them. This ad does not reflect that

Digital_Damage
09-13-16, 15:02
did they ever fix their .308 SR mags? That is one of the only things I need.

Firefly
09-13-16, 15:09

Just buy pmags dude. Even the DPMS mags are better.

Digital_Damage
09-13-16, 15:14
Just buy pmags dude. Even the DPMS mags are better.

Pmag don't stack very well in my fat.50 :(

and DPMS is 30.00 vs the 15.00.

I planned on buying about 50 of them.

Firefly
09-13-16, 15:20
What model do you have, again?

The brownells mag are not true 20s more like 18s. I just get pmags and save my KAC mags as my "killin'" mags

Falar
09-13-16, 15:22

The brownells mag are not true 20s more like 18s. I just get pmags and save my KAC mags as my "killin'" mags

I just sprung for 8 KACs when some showed up at Boltcarrier. Ouch. They allow the longest COALs though I do keep some PMAGs/Lancers around for factory ammo blastin' (and 25s).

Firefly
09-13-16, 15:25
I just sprung for 8 KACs when some showed up at Boltcarrier. Ouch. They allow the longest COALs though I do keep some PMAGs/Lancers around for factory ammo blastin' (and 25s).

Don't discuss numbers. It is....disquieting. Can't find anymore KAC mags, only have 5 and thought i was doing well.

I didn't know Boltcarrier had some recently....oogh..

ETA The super-lifers made a mistake. They have some more in stock. I nicked an amount we won't discuss but if you got an SR25, get yo black ass on to Boltcarrier because $93 for KAC steel 20s are likely not to be that cheap again for a while

Averageman
09-13-16, 15:35
I just bought 5 AR magazines a minute ago, guess who I didn't buy them from?

They need to class it up a little bit.

nova3930
09-13-16, 15:44
meh, anyone not already stocked up missed the boat months ago....

Firefly
09-13-16, 15:54
meh, anyone not already stocked up missed the boat months ago....

Yeah but months ago, it seemed like nobody had KAC mags.

Honestly, I can't go shooting for a while, but when I did/do I use the same 20 rounders or the same old ban era glock mags. I keep my other stuff for putting away in case something breaks. If I did any training, I used other people's shit and state ammo.

And older metal mags hang tough, still use inherited no-shit were in the 'Nam 1911 mags and some OOOLD 20 round SP1 mag. On my time I don't really run and gun.

I'm actually matriculating to bolt actions more lately and honestly....I still tote my 686 along because there's just something honest and right about sending some .38 LRN downrange on a sunny day.

Digital_Damage
09-13-16, 15:54

Would be for a SR25 ECR and SR25 ECC.

I have 10 KAC mags, 10 Magpul G2,10 magpul G3 20 round and one G3 25 round

But I have around 175 5.56 OKAy mags so ... I wanted to be an idiot and start playing legos with the brownell mags if they fully functioned as a 20 round.

Firefly
09-13-16, 16:03
Would be for a SR25 ECR and SR25 ECC.

I have 10 KAC mags, 10 Magpul G2,10 magpul G3 20 round and one G3 25 round

But I have around 175 5.56 OKAy mags so ... I wanted to be an idiot and start playing legos with the brownell mags if they fully functioned as a 20 round.

That's odd.....I have an ECC and some first run Pmags and while they take a little wearing in, they shot some 175 SMKs like a champ. I usually use 168. The newer pmags, no problem esp. 25 rounders.

The brownells mag doesn't want to hold 20 rounds and doesn't like to go in on a closed bolt. Not joking when I said DPMS mag was better. Even the ASC.

I heard people dremeled the follower bottom a bit to get it doable but overall not worth hassle. It was on TOS KAC subforum.

I got one when they were $12 and The most I load it is 10 rounds. It is my knockaround DGAF about it mag. Don't care enough to send it back but know it isn't up to pmag quality. Which sucks because a decent, reasonable price aluminum 308 AR mag woulda been great.

cougar_guy04
09-13-16, 16:04
In better times, Brownells had this quiet dignity about them. This ad does not reflect that
This isn't the first email I've had from them that smacked of hyping up the masses for another run at a record year for volume.

I don't know if they're trying to drum up revenue or what, but I know I've shifted from ordering from them almost exclusively to dealing with vendors that had better prices and shipping (DSG Arms has gotten a lot of my business or planned business). Charging me $2-10 more for a part and then winging me for $8-15 for shipping doesn't inspire feelings that create repeat business. Don't think I've ordered from them in about a year.

Digital_Damage
09-13-16, 16:10
That's odd.....I have an ECC and some first run Pmags and while they take a little wearing in, they shot some 175 SMKs like a champ. I usually use 168. The newer pmags, no problem esp. 25 rounders.

The brownells mag doesn't want to hold 20 rounds and doesn't like to go in on a closed bolt. Not joking when I said DPMS mag was better. Even the ASC.

I heard people dremeled the follower bottom a bit to get it doable but overall not worth hassle. It was on TOS KAC subforum.

I got one when they were $12 and The most I load it is 10 rounds. It is my knockaround DGAF about it mag. Don't care enough to send it back but know it isn't up to pmag quality. Which sucks because a decent, reasonable price aluminum 308 AR mag woulda been great.

oh no the mags are not a problem in the rifle, the mags are a problem storing them in a FAT .50 can. I can double up the KAC mags in the can if I had enough. But the Pmags would not stack right...

Firefly
09-13-16, 16:21
oh no the mags are not a problem in the rifle, the mags are a problem storing them in a FAT .50 can. I can double up the KAC mags in the can if I had enough. But the Pmags would not stack right...

OOHHH.....

I just keep mine in a big plano case.
Agreed. 20 rd straight box anything is so easy to stack and organize but curvy stuff inspires creativity/laziness

nova3930
09-13-16, 16:24
Yeah but months ago, it seemed like nobody had KAC mags.

Honestly, I can't go shooting for a while, but when I did/do I use the same 20 rounders or the same old ban era glock mags. I keep my other stuff for putting away in case something breaks. If I did any training, I used other people's shit and state ammo.

And older metal mags hang tough, still use inherited no-shit were in the 'Nam 1911 mags and some OOOLD 20 round SP1 mag. On my time I don't really run and gun.

I'm actually matriculating to bolt actions more lately and honestly....I still tote my 686 along because there's just something honest and right about sending some .38 LRN downrange on a sunny day.

I was referring to the more commonly used stuff. If I had to guess production of those KAC mags is probably comparatively quite low even in the best of times and a lot of what they make goes straight to .mil....

I'm with you though. Other than at a class, I use the same few mags over and over. Use more in classes because I don't want to waste limited learning time loading mags. I shoot a lot of my old surplus guns for enjoyment a lot. I'll take a few boxes of 9mm or 556 for real practice, then at least one surplus for fun. Last weekend after some 9mm practice and function testing my latest SBR I put some 303 downrange from my 1918 Vintage SMLE.....

usmcvet
09-13-16, 21:08
Dirtbags. I second DSG.

jpmuscle
09-13-16, 21:43
I'll be sending them an angry gram. That's def not cool

ColtSeavers
09-13-16, 21:46
People actually read those emails?!?!

Dienekes
09-14-16, 00:23

Agreed. I've been ordering from them for longer than I like to admit. I believe the family sold out and the business model changed. Zombie themed stuff,ammo, emergency foods, and archery showed up in the catalogues. They also moved down the road a few miles and opened a retail store, sort of like Cabelas. More recently I got to checking on AR lowers; the price has about tripled and many are out of stock.

I get the discount, but their prices are still right up there--along with shipping costs. So I do more comparison shopping these days.

SteyrAUG
09-14-16, 01:29
Just received an e-mail from Brownells kicking off the clinton gun ban hype in an effort to start a run on their inventory....

Honestly I don't see the big deal.

There are a lot of gun owners who will see this as an actual wake up call because they didn't pay attention the last three times it happened.

For everyone else who got squared away a long time ago, I can't understand why it would bother you. After all this advertisement isn't going to make you buy anything. To me it's no different than a "going out of business" or "model to be discontinued" sale.

The only people who will "panic" are those who aren't "prepared" and they will always panic until they learn to be prepared.

MountainRaven
09-14-16, 01:46
I agree with Steyr: I don't see the big deal. We've been talking about this for months on this forum - not just our thoughts about whether it was going to happen and how bad it was going to be, but also our observations on how it was already happening.

How long do BCM lowers last with Grant? I went into a smaller "tactical" oriented LGS, they had three long guns, including one $2500 5.45x39mm RD501. And he told me the same thing every other local dealer has been telling me: Can't get much, distributors are generally out of everything, what comes in sells fast. One LGS went from sitting on a pile of 2013 panic purchases to a completely turned-over inventory of ARs between San Bernardino and April or May (and they're still selling what they have about as fast as they're getting inventory in).

Last week, Raven Concealment posted on FB about how everyone better get ready for the Great Gun Panic of 2016-2017, if they aren't already. Soldier Systems posted it on their website and about a half-dozen industry guys I follow on FB picked up on it and shared it.

So I don't see the problem with it.

Unless you're not prepared and are pissed that a lot of other people are just now realizing how ill-prepared they are.

Moose-Knuckle
09-14-16, 05:09

None of the three I have will hold the bolt open on an empty chamber. They lock up and drop free nice though, never shot with them . . . probably just use them for range mags in the future.

usmcvet
09-14-16, 10:12
I agree with Steyr: I don't see the big deal. We've been talking about this for months on this forum - not just our thoughts about whether it was going to happen and how bad it was going to be, but also our observations on how it was already happening.

How long do BCM lowers last with Grant? I went into a smaller "tactical" oriented LGS, they had three long guns, including one $2500 5.45x39mm RD501. And he told me the same thing every other local dealer has been telling me: Can't get much, distributors are generally out of everything, what comes in sells fast. One LGS went from sitting on a pile of 2013 panic purchases to a completely turned-over inventory of ARs between San Bernardino and April or May (and they're still selling what they have about as fast as they're getting inventory in).

Last week, Raven Concealment posted on FB about how everyone better get ready for the Great Gun Panic of 2016-2017, if they aren't already. Soldier Systems posted it on their website and about a half-dozen industry guys I follow on FB picked up on it and shared it.

So I don't see the problem with it.

Unless you're not prepared and are pissed that a lot of other people are just now realizing how ill-prepared they are.

I don't "need" anything at this time. I lived through the '94 ban and have prepared. I have plenty of wants but my needs are more than well met. I bought with the thought of taking care of my kids too. I think this is like the over paid back up QB for the 49ers. There is nothing wrong with it but it pisses me off and I will vote with my wallet. This is what you get when you click on the photo:

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/Banned_zps2mgwkxvl.jpg (http://s859.photobucket.com/user/usmcvet0331/media/Banned_zps2mgwkxvl.jpg.html)