PDA

View Full Version : would you trust an aimpoint pro with your life?

readyfireaim
09-14-16, 09:12
hey all, im designing an ar 15 that i could trust my life with for shtf etc,etc. im not leo or mil. or anything like that just a lowly civilian that wants a fighting chance at survival in case of a worst case scenario type of event and im stuck on optics. ive reesearched all that aimpoint has to offer and ive concluded that the pro checks all the boxes i need. am i stupid for going with the cheaper pro than one of the higher end models which has features i dont really need? thanks in advance

C4IGrant
09-14-16, 09:13
hey all, im designing an ar 15 that i could trust my life with for shtf etc,etc. im not leo or mil. or anything like that just a lowly civilian that wants a fighting chance at survival in case of a worst case scenario type of event and im stuck on optics. ive reesearched all that aimpoint has to offer and ive concluded that the pro checks all the boxes i need. am i stupid for going with the cheaper pro than one of the higher end models which has features i dont really need? thanks in advance

Yes, the PRO is a good SHTF optic.

C4

readyfireaim
09-14-16, 09:18
would you please elaborate and educate me on where i went wrong

jrflyewr
09-14-16, 09:27
Why would anyones life depend on an electronic aiming device..its is up there as an aid..you should be able to defend your life with a gun sans red dot..JMHO

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

readyfireaim
09-14-16, 09:27
i guess i should add i dont need night vision or anything like that. all i want is a no frills rds that i can depend on. hence why i chose the pro

chamber143
09-14-16, 09:33
would you please elaborate and educate me on where i went wrong

I think he is saying yes he would trust a pro with his life. Aim point makes gtg stuff. What's more important is training with and without it to better hone your skills. An Aimpoint won't keep u alive, u will. The aimpoint may aid in that but it's on you.

readyfireaim
09-14-16, 09:34
Why would anyones life depend on an electronic aiming device..its is up there as an aid..you should be able to defend your life with a gun sans red dot..JMHO

i agree 1000% im considering running buis even though the upper i want will have a f marked fsb. this is the setup im considering. spikes stripped lower,colt or bcm lpk,vltor a5 buffer system with bcm 16" bfh midlength,dd mid length lite rail geissele sde trigger, td vetical grip[long] not exactly a no frills setup but not to far off

danco
09-14-16, 09:41
Yes, I would trust my life to my Aimpoint PRO.

That said, I do have BUIS...

readyfireaim
09-14-16, 09:41
I think he is saying yes he would trust a pro with his life. Aim point makes gtg stuff. What's more important is training with and without it to better hone your skills. An Aimpoint won't keep u alive, u will. The aimpoint may aid in that but it's on you.
i trust mr. grants opinion and expertise very strongly,when he speaks i listen. hence why i asked if i was stupid for trusting my life with a pro he said yes i automatically assumed he meant i was stupid for thinking that. im only a grasshopper thats here to learn.

readyfireaim
09-14-16, 09:45
Yes, the PRO is a good SHTF optic.

C4

thank you mr. grant. sorry i confused what you were saying

ggammell
09-14-16, 09:53

Is there any point to this comment? He was asking about dependability of a particular product. You can iron sight all day if you want. He can optic all day if he wants. In fact he seems much more grounded than many people buy admitting he doesn't need the latest $700 model when a $400 does exactly what he wants.

If I choose to use an optic as a primary sight then my life and others may depend on the quality of the optic.

readyfireaim
09-14-16, 10:07
Is there any point to this comment? He was asking about dependability of a particular product. You can iron sight all day if you want. He can optic all day if he wants. In fact he seems much more grounded than many people buy admitting he doesn't need the latest $700 model when a $400 does exactly what he wants.

If I choose to use an optic as a primary sight then my life and others may depend on the quality of the optic.

first off,thanks for sticking up for me bud i do appreciate that, second, thats why i asked about the pro to begin with. if a shtf scenario happens i dont want to be stuck wondering if i should have saved a couple more hundred dollars for a rds that gave me more than necessary as well as given me what i wanted in the first place, as well as saving money for more reloading supplies. as i said before im only here to learn

jrflyewr
09-14-16, 10:10
The point was not directed at the durability of said optic or his builf..but at the notion that someones life would depend on a red dot...sorry but IMHO its a serious failure in preparation and judgement in a SHTF gun battle for your life to down to a circuit or battery..

ggammell
09-14-16, 10:17
The point was not directed at the durability of said optic or his builf..but at the notion that someones life would depend on a red dot...sorry but IMHO its a serious failure in preparation and judgement in a SHTF gun battle for your life to down to a circuit or battery..

So everyone who employs an electronic optic as their primary sighting system has failed?

readyfireaim
09-14-16, 10:18

hence, why i said that even though i would have a fsp, i was contemplating on using buis, i know it sound redundant, but i dont want to be left wondering "what if" scenarios in my head. as well as taking local carbine courses that are available to me. im trying to eliminate the possibility of a emp attack,as well as prepare for it. thats what i meant by a shtf,worst case scenario event

_Stormin_
09-14-16, 10:18
That set up should be good to go. I have pretty much the exact set up on my HD rifle, except with an SD-C, as I prefer the slightly higher pull weight on that rifle.

Grant, along with the rest of us, will tell you that you can trust the PRO to function when you need it, provided you keep the battery fresh. Rounds on target is on you. In fact, if NVG isn't a concern you could go with the ACO.

readyfireaim
09-14-16, 10:21
So everyone who employs an electronic optic as their primary sighting system has failed?

i dont see it as a failure, just so long as you have a back up set up you can depend on.then,and only then do you have a chance

Digital_Damage
09-14-16, 10:22
My thought has changed on this over the last couple of months. I would never trust my life on anything, always have a plan B and Plan C.

readyfireaim
09-14-16, 10:25
That set up should be good to go. I have pretty much the exact set up on my HD rifle, except with an SD-C, as I prefer the slightly higher pull weight on that rifle.

Grant, along with the rest of us, will tell you that you can trust the PRO to function when you need it, provided you keep the battery fresh. Rounds on target is on you. In fact, if NVG isn't a concern you could go with the ACO.

when you say keep he battery "fresh" do you mean you have had problems? with bad batteries or a bad aimpoint pro? im curious now

chuckman
09-14-16, 10:27
From the perspective of if an Aimpoint PRO is a good optic for a weapon for SHTF for defense, the answer is yes. Aimpoint does not have a bad optic...PRO, ACO, all the way to top end, they are all good to go.

chuckman
09-14-16, 10:29
when you say keep he battery "fresh" do you mean you have had problems? with bad batteries or a bad aimpoint pro? im curious now

Batteries go dead, and "fresh" is relative. A battery will easily last over a year. To me, "fresh" is changing them out yearly.*

* My set-up is for HD and classes and range time.

readyfireaim
09-14-16, 10:29
My thought has changed on this over the last couple of months. I would never trust my life on anything, always have a plan B and Plan C.

believe me if i could afford multiple setups right now i wouldnt be in this situation

readyfireaim
09-14-16, 10:31
Batteries go dead, and "fresh" is relative. A battery will easily last over a year. To me, "fresh" is changing them out yearly.*

* My set-up is for HD and classes and range time.
thats why im considering running buis, albeit redundantly.

Jellybean
09-14-16, 10:32

-Edit, chuckman beat me to it, but redundantly;

He means change it once a year just to be sure, and you'll be good to go.
You can probably get away with not changing it for longer if you don't constantly leaved the sight on (I haven't changed mine since '13).

Yes, as has been pointed out I'd trust a PRO with my life. But I also have BUIS.

You're looking at buying literally the best bang for your buck optic on the market- go for it, and stop worrying about minutia!

chuckman
09-14-16, 10:34
thats why im considering running buis, albeit redundantly.

I always run iron sights. F-marked FSB and a DD rear. And if you don't need NV capability, the ACO is an option. I run the ACO. And I trust my life on it.

readyfireaim
09-14-16, 10:38
-Edit, chuckman beat me to it, but redundantly;

He means change it once a year just to be sure, and you'll be good to go.
You can probably get away with not changing it for longer if you don't constantly leaved the sight on (I haven't changed mine since '13).

Yes, as has been pointed out I'd trust a PRO with my life. But I also have BUIS.

You're looking at buying literally the best bang for your buck optic on the market- go for it, and stop worrying about minutia!
ahhhh, thats the caveat isnt it,worrying about the minor details, the what iffs, thats why im thinking about running irons as a back up to the whole wtf just happened and wondering what ifs scenario

readyfireaim
09-14-16, 10:44
i believe my decision has been made. i think i will fully vet the pro for myself,when i believe it is fully up to the challenge i set before it,then and only then will i accept it as a worthy companion to my adversary

VT RAIDER
09-14-16, 10:54
I love my Aimpoint PRO, I run on on my original HD rifle coupled with YHM BUIS. I run a Sig ROMEO 5 and Sig ROMEO 4B on some other rifles, but the PRO is superior to them both IMO.

fallenromeo
09-14-16, 12:11
i agree 1000% im considering running buis even though the upper i want will have a f marked fsb. this is the setup im considering. spikes stripped lower,colt or bcm lpk,vltor a5 buffer system with bcm 16" bfh midlength,dd mid length lite rail geissele sde trigger, td vetical grip[long] not exactly a no frills setup but not to far off

Go with the BCM LPK, or Sionics. The BCM grip is personally my favorite, I prefer it over the standard grip you would get with the Colt LPK, and their enhanced trigger is a step up as well. Skip the DD lite rail in favor of a BCM KMR-A instead. You will save a few bucks, and it is lighter and in my opinion, feels better in your hand. If you absolutely are stuck on a quad rail, get the centurion C4 instead. Get the SD-C instead of the SD-E, the E is more of a precision oriented trigger, while the SD-C is more of an all around trigger. Other than that, sounds like a nice build.

Oh, and the PRO is built like a tank, you will be just find with that. I had one and I would absolutely trust my life to it. Also, I know you said you don't need it, but the PRO is NV compatible

mikemi1951
09-17-16, 10:27
The PRO is a quality optic. Don't let the price fool you. It's good to go.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk