PDA

View Full Version : Specific question about the N4 Light Recce Basic 16" Upper

urbankaos04
09-07-08, 14:46
I started this thread in order to request an answer to my specific question: What is the weight of this upper with its BCG, CH, standard HGs, flash suppressor and TROY BUIS installed?

Can owners of the N4 Light Recce Basic 16" Upper please chime in and provide this answer?

I just want to see how much heavier my 16" Operator upper is than the 16" N4 Light Recce upper.

Thanks.

USMC03
09-07-08, 17:45
3 lbs 14.2 oz

S/F,
Jeff

urbankaos04
09-07-08, 18:22
3 lbs 14.2 oz

S/F,
Jeff

Hmm, that's odd. How can your 16" N4 Light Recce upper be lighter than this LINDERTW's 14.5" N4 Light Standard upper?

1) N4 light basic upper = 4 lb 5.1 oz

14.5" w/perm attached Surefire 556-212A
F/A BCG
standard charging handle
standard handguards
side sling barrel mount
factory FSB sling mount removed
LaRue BUIS

This doesn't compute, but if it is correct that's pretty darn light!

And here's the breakdown for my upper:

Upper: GTS Operator = 4 lbs. 12 oz.

*16" medium contour barrel (4150 CMV, 5.56, CLE profiled, Mike Rock blanks)
*F/A BCG (BCM)
*CMT charging handle with PRI Big Latch
*Standard handguards
*Factory FSB sling mount absent
*TROY BUIS

Parabellum9x19mm
09-07-08, 19:14
because that build has a Troy rail and LT BUIS which add weight. not that the LT BUIS is much heavier than the Troy irons...but while we're nit picking, i figured i'd point it out.

i have a 16" basic and 14.5" basic...and they're both light. the 16" low profile is a little more hefty, but i have a ML3 and magnifier on there too, which adds weight.

i wouldn't sweat a few ounces in either direction tho. lighter is better, but some weight is worth it, depending on what functionality it may add.

urbankaos04
09-07-08, 19:52
because that build has a Troy rail and LT BUIS which add weight. not that the LT BUIS is much heavier than the Troy irons...but while we're nit picking, i figured i'd point it out.

I'm not tracking you. Which build are you referring to? I'm inquiring about a STANDARD 16" Noveske N4 Light Recce upper.

I have a 16" basic and 14.5" basic...and they're both light. the 16" low profile is a little more hefty, but i have a ML3 and magnifier on there too, which adds weight.

Would be great if you can give me the weight of your 16" basic, but only with standard HGs and typical BUIS. And, of course, the BCG and CH.

USMC03
09-07-08, 21:22
Hmm, that's odd. How can your 16" N4 Light Recce upper be lighter than this LINDERTW's 14.5" N4 Light Standard upper?

1) N4 light basic upper = 4 lb 5.1 oz

F/A BCG
standard charging handle
standard handguards
side sling barrel mount
LaRue BUIS

This doesn't compute, but if it is correct that's pretty darn light!

And here's the breakdown for my upper:

Upper: GTS Operator = 4 lbs. 12 oz.

*16" medium contour barrel (4150 CMV, 5.56, CLE profiled, Mike Rock blanks)
*F/A BCG (BCM)
*CMT charging handle with PRI Big Latch
*Standard handguards
*Factory FSB sling mount absent
*TROY BUIS

I weighed the upper a couple times on a digital scale prior to adding a rail, optic, etc.

Upper from this gun (without optic):
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/USMC03_photos/Noveske%20N4%20Recce%20Basic%20Black/IMG_0696.jpg

On this scale:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95069

It's not written down in my notes as to weather I had the bolt carrier group and charging handle in the upper or not.

Parabellum9x19mm
09-07-08, 21:43
I'm not tracking you. Which build are you referring to? I'm inquiring about a STANDARD 16" Noveske N4 Light Recce upper.

LINDERTW's N4 build, if i'm not mistaken, has a Troy rail. at least that's what i saw on TOS. Sorry i didn't make that more clear.

Would be great if you can give me the weight of your 16" basic, but only with standard HGs and typical BUIS. And, of course, the BCG and CH.

i don't even have a bathroom scale...sorry :(

eventually i'll get off my but and start reloading, so i need a good scale at some point

urbankaos04
09-08-08, 00:00
USMC03: I'm thinking you didn't have the BCG and CH, as that just seems too light.

Parabellum9x19mm: The weight that LINDERTW gave me was based on the STANDARD configuration:

N4 light basic upper = 4 lb 5.1 oz

F/A BCG
standard charging handle
standard handguards
side sling barrel mount
LaRue BUIS

LOL! I didn't think it'd be so hard to get this information! :eek:

Parabellum9x19mm
09-08-08, 00:21
looks like you got your answer: "about four pounds".

sorry about being confused about the handguards. i was looking @ a page on TOS and i got confused as to which build was which. should have looked at usernames :P

either way, the N4 Basic is pretty light, the 14.5" is a hair lighter than the 16", but the 16 mid balances well. but if you're that concerned about it, you might want a pencil barrel.

Narph
09-08-08, 05:02
Quibbling over 6.8 oz?

A2 flash hider VS. Surefire
Standard sling mount VS. Side sling barrel mount
BUIS

Maybe the hand guards are different? Maybe the scales read funny?

Either way this difference in weight is probably only about half a full magazine...

This is assuming that a round weights 0.42 oz... I don't have a scale on me, so I just interpolated from some online data...

One of my favorite quotes from a bicycling forum talking about high end gear and how one weighs more or less than another (again a few ounces)... Something to the effect of:
If you're worried about a couple ounces more while you ride, take a dump before you leave.

:D

lindertw
09-08-08, 15:20
I think Jeff's numbers include the BCG and CH. There are a few variations in parts between his and my upper, and the scales could be a little different as well. I re-weighed my Noveske basic upper just to be certain:

standard handguards (dual heat shield carbine size)
side sling barrel mount
Midwest Industries pic rail mounted on handguard (when I added the pic rail to the handguard, I had to remove one of the two heat shields from the upper handguard)
F/A BCG
standard charging handle
LaRue BUIS = 4lb 5.2oz

above config w/out BUIS = 4lb 2.3oz
above config w/out BUIS, F/A BCG and charging handle = 3lb 5.6oz

urbankaos04
09-08-08, 19:51
Quibbling over 6.8 oz?

Nah, I just wanted an exact number for the 16" Noveske in order to see how much more a standard Operator upper weighs. And it seems to be about 14 oz, almost a pound. That's all I wanted to know.

One of my favorite quotes from a bicycling forum talking about high end gear and how one weighs more or less than another (again a few ounces)... Something to the effect of:
If you're worried about a couple ounces more while you ride, take a dump before you leave. :D

:p