PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day Tribute

elephant
09-15-16, 14:13
Veterans Day is coming up in November and we dedicate that day to remembering and paying tribute to those who served this great nation. I assume that most of us are old enough to have a father or grandfather who has served this country in World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm and perhaps the GWOT. I thought it would be special to pay tribute to our fathers and our grandfathers by sharing with each other who these great men are and to keep their legacy alive.

I wanted to share my mothers father, Col. William S. Harbour USAAF/ARMY.

My grandfather joined the USAAF in 1937 after graduating from University of Miami School of Meteorology. He completed flight school in Georgia and got his wings in 1938 and then was stationed in Louisiana, Texas and Georgia. He was qualified to fly the Martin B-10, Curtis B-18, and later qualified in the Boeing B-17, North American B-25 and Consolidated B-24. In 1939, my grandfather, a Captain at the time was promoted to Major when assigned to the 588th Ferry Squadron where he was to be an inspector on new aircraft, test flight and evaluation and then deliver those aircraft to their destination. At that time the 588th was a small unit but made up of men who were qualified as pilots, navigators and bombardiers.
Photo after completing Flight School

In early 1942, my grandfather was assigned to fly a B-24 in the 8th Airforce 93rd Bombardment Group stationed in Benina Libya where he bombed Crete and Sicily. Later that year he was reassigned to the 9th Airforce 98th Bombardment Group stationed in Ramat David Palestine and then later Fayid Egypt, where he flew bomb runs on ships and harbours along the Axis coastline in Libya and Tunisia to Greece and Italy. After Tripoli fell, he bombed the ports of Naples, Messina and Palermo, in an attempt to cut off the remaining Axis forces in Tunisia. He took part of the attack on the oil refineries at Ploesti. In 1943, he was reassigned to the 12th Airforce and then 15th Airforce stationed in Brindisi Italy where he bombed Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary and the Balkans. It was in late 1943 when he was promoted to Lt Colonel. In 1944, he took part of the first 1000 ton bombing campaign on rail targets in northern Italy and the ports of Piombino, San Stefano and Porto Ferraio. My grandfather also participated in the invasion of France. At the end of WW2 from 1945 to early 1946 my granddad was promoted to Colonel and assigned to 338th Ferry Squadron and his job was to bring as many as 400 airplanes back the the US, some of those had damage and others had no crew. His B-24 was named "Fore Caddy" for his love of golf.

Dated early 1950s

After the war, my grandfather joined the National Guard and was attached to the 49th Armored Division stationed in Dallas Texas but he served as the US Army's athletic director and Athletic development director. From 1953 to 1965, my grandfather spent his time building golf courses for the US Army. He went back to school and got a degree in golf coarse design and management. He designed and built 17 golf coarse in total for the US Army including Ft Polk, Ft Bragg, Ft Sill, Ft Bliss, Ft Hood and many others.
First round of Golf, Ft. Benning 1952

My Grandfather went on to join the USGA and PGA and toured from 1953 to 1957 winning 14 Tournaments, 1 USGA championship, 3 PGA invitational. He was sponsored by the US ARMY and was a member of the Ryder Cup in 1953
This is my grandfather accepting a trophy from Major General West in 1955 after winning the USGA Championship.
If you look closely, the photo shows the players who attended the 1953 PGA Invitational in Mexico City, you will see Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Art Wall Jr, Ed Oliver, Frank Stranahan, Johnny Palmer and others. My grandfather won this tournament as well as the $2500 1st place purse which he had to give back to the US Army.

He retired from the US Army in 1973 after serving 35 years.

HeruMew
09-15-16, 15:03
Wow!

What a man, and a damn great serviceman to boot.

I can imagine that means a lot to have those pictures, and it means a lot getting to read his story and learn the history of those within our armed forces during turbulent times.

My father was a Reservist back in the 80s, never got sent out, though feared he would before Wall came down.

He joined the Army and started out as an Artillery jumper. He did a couple jumps following the cannon to the ground.

He was active on the base for about a year where he was Military Intelligence. Spent a lot of his time carting around high level officials and waiting for calls at the motor pool to pick up ranking folks on arrival.

He claims, while there, that he was taught evasive driving, anti-ambush techniques, and some awesome maneuvers.

During that time he was able to make some money, make some friends, and he went home and had me within a couple years.

The thing that amazed me the most, was they doing recordings of their Basic, and the time that they filmed my father's group was during the gas exercises.

Somewhere we have a VHS tape showing him do jumping jacks, pushups, and getting gas gear on in a hurry while the room is filled with, what I assume, is tear gas. Some of the guys come out puking, some of them come out angry, my father came out with a "What the hell did I just go through" face that reminded me of slight nostalgia. I will always remember that look, and notice it any time it happens today.

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing. I will try to get the division name, for the artillery division, he was in.

chuckman
09-15-16, 15:30
Excellent post, Elephant!

41502 41503

My father, USMC, 1954-75, retired MSGT. Started infantry, 0311, 3 MarDiv., most of his service in intelligence. Three tours RVN, never injured in Vietnam but was injured in the op in the Dominican Republic (1/8). During his three tours he was S2 in MACV-SOG, 1/12 (awarded for valor directing defense of a mortar platoon during an attack), 3rd Recon (I believe he split his time between there and MACV-SOG). His last tour he was the intel chief for HMLA-167. Of note, he was the first non-Army NCO to graduate honor student (first in class) from the Army's intel school.

Sadly, he passed away two years after retiring. I will never be the man he was.

usmcvet
09-15-16, 15:54
Three Generations of Marines.

Me, Dad, Gramps.
Gulf, Korea, WWII.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/3%20Generations%20of%20Marines_zpsef4lbe7q.jpg (http://s859.photobucket.com/user/usmcvet0331/media/3%20Generations%20of%20Marines_zpsef4lbe7q.jpg.html)

The Eagle, Globe & Anchor on my Boonie Cover, in my profile photo, was one my Gramps had. It's the only Marine Uniform item of his I have.

usmcvet
09-15-16, 16:01
Excellent post, Elephant! If I can figure out how to do pics like that, I will.

My father, USMC, 1954-75. Started infantry, 0311, 3 MarDiv., most of his service in intelligence. Three tours RVN, never injured in Vietnam but was injured in the op in the Dominican Republic (1/8). During his three tours he was S2 in MACV-SOG, 1/12 (awarded for valor directing defense of a mortar platoon during an attack), 3rd Recon (I believe he split his time between there and MACV-SOG). His last tour he was the intel chief for HMLA-167. Of note, he was the first non-Army NCO to graduate honor student (first in class) from the Army's intel school.

Sadly, he passed away two years after retiring. I will never be the man he was.

Check out photobucket.com If you choose thumbnail it will be smaller like his until you click on them then they get larger.

elephant
09-15-16, 17:07

Me, Dad, Gramps.
Gulf, Korea, WWII.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/3%20Generations%20of%20Marines_zpsef4lbe7q.jpg (http://s859.photobucket.com/user/usmcvet0331/media/3%20Generations%20of%20Marines_zpsef4lbe7q.jpg.html)

The Eagle, Globe & Anchor on my Boonie Cover, in my profile photo, was one my Gramps had. It's the only Marine Uniform item of his I have.

Wow, 3 generations. Thank you for your service.

MAUSER202
09-15-16, 20:04
Beat me to it. Impressive!

3 AE
09-15-16, 20:29

Me, Dad, Gramps.
Gulf, Korea, WWII.

To be honest, you and your dad look sharp in your Blues but your gramps with the "Errol Flynn" moustache and his cover at a rake to starboard is total cool. He definitely has his swagger on!

Endur
09-16-16, 21:33
My father was in the Army as a supply sergeant from '81 - '89, and had been stationed in Germany (I do not remember the base) and then Fort Carson. My uncle was in the Navy and was an aviator. I have some other pics I will post up later of my father and uncle. I am not sure about grand parents service.

First pic is my dad and the second is me on my second deployment north of Mosul near at an old air strip in the mountains.

elephant
09-16-16, 22:26
thank you for your service as well as your fathers service.

Endur
09-16-16, 23:37
Here are some more pics. The ones of my uncle had gotten damaged by a wet paper sticking to it.

Endur
11-02-16, 10:55
Vets day is coming so figured I would post up a couple more I come across. First is my grandpa in WWII and the second is my uncle.

daddyusmaximus
11-02-16, 12:05
We, the VFW and the Legion, (I'm in both, Commander of the VFW) are doing a ceremony for the town that the Mayor is putting together. Then the Legion (it's their turn) will have a free dinner for all vets.

To all my brothers and sisters who serve, or served, Thank you and God bless.

RazorBurn
11-02-16, 16:50
Veterans Day is coming up in November and we dedicate that day to remembering and paying tribute to those who served this great nation. I assume that most of us are old enough to have a father or grandfather who has served this country in World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm and perhaps the GWOT. I thought it would be special to pay tribute to our fathers and our grandfathers by sharing with each other who these great men are and to keep their legacy alive.

I wanted to share my mothers father, Col. William S. Harbour USAAF/ARMY.

My grandfather joined the USAAF in 1937 after graduating from University of Miami School of Meteorology. He completed flight school in Georgia and got his wings in 1938 and then was stationed in Louisiana, Texas and Georgia. He was qualified to fly the Martin B-10, Curtis B-18, and later qualified in the Boeing B-17, North American B-25 and Consolidated B-24. In 1939, my grandfather, a Captain at the time was promoted to Major when assigned to the 588th Ferry Squadron where he was to be an inspector on new aircraft, test flight and evaluation and then deliver those aircraft to their destination. At that time the 588th was a small unit but made up of men who were qualified as pilots, navigators and bombardiers.
Photo after completing Flight School

In early 1942, my grandfather was assigned to fly a B-24 in the 8th Airforce 93rd Bombardment Group stationed in Benina Libya where he bombed Crete and Sicily. Later that year he was reassigned to the 9th Airforce 98th Bombardment Group stationed in Ramat David Palestine and then later Fayid Egypt, where he flew bomb runs on ships and harbours along the Axis coastline in Libya and Tunisia to Greece and Italy. After Tripoli fell, he bombed the ports of Naples, Messina and Palermo, in an attempt to cut off the remaining Axis forces in Tunisia. He took part of the attack on the oil refineries at Ploesti. In 1943, he was reassigned to the 12th Airforce and then 15th Airforce stationed in Brindisi Italy where he bombed Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary and the Balkans. It was in late 1943 when he was promoted to Lt Colonel. In 1944, he took part of the first 1000 ton bombing campaign on rail targets in northern Italy and the ports of Piombino, San Stefano and Porto Ferraio. My grandfather also participated in the invasion of France. At the end of WW2 from 1945 to early 1946 my granddad was promoted to Colonel and assigned to 338th Ferry Squadron and his job was to bring as many as 400 airplanes back the the US, some of those had damage and others had no crew. His B-24 was named "Fore Caddy" for his love of golf.

Dated early 1950s

After the war, my grandfather joined the National Guard and was attached to the 49th Armored Division stationed in Dallas Texas but he served as the US Army's athletic director and Athletic development director. From 1953 to 1965, my grandfather spent his time building golf courses for the US Army. He went back to school and got a degree in golf coarse design and management. He designed and built 17 golf coarse in total for the US Army including Ft Polk, Ft Bragg, Ft Sill, Ft Bliss, Ft Hood and many others.
First round of Golf, Ft. Benning 1952

My Grandfather went on to join the USGA and PGA and toured from 1953 to 1957 winning 14 Tournaments, 1 USGA championship, 3 PGA invitational. He was sponsored by the US ARMY and was a member of the Ryder Cup in 1953
This is my grandfather accepting a trophy from Major General West in 1955 after winning the USGA Championship.
If you look closely, the photo shows the players who attended the 1953 PGA Invitational in Mexico City, you will see Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Art Wall Jr, Ed Oliver, Frank Stranahan, Johnny Palmer and others. My grandfather won this tournament as well as the $2500 1st place purse which he had to give back to the US Army.

He retired from the US Army in 1973 after serving 35 years.

That is an awesome legacy! I'm sure you're proud of him. Thank you to all those who have served and are serving!

My paternal grandfather Hunter served in France and Germany during World War 2 in the 254th Infantry Regiment of the 63rd Infantry Division. My three greats paternal grandfather Henley C. and two of his brothers served in the 23rd Virginia Infantry for the CSA in the Civil War. He had another brother who served in the 60th Virginia Infantry CSA. My six greats grandfather Francis Marion served in the Revolutionary War with his two brothers.

A couple of pictures of my grandfather from World War 2.