PDA

View Full Version : 6920 optic needed

replacement
09-15-16, 15:37
I am looking for an optic for my 6920. The rifle is all original and recent production. I am in my mid 50's and don't shoot as often as I used or would like. My eyes are ok but not as good as days past. I have open sight rifles and would like an optic on this firearm.

I know we have countless threads and I know how to search --

I have the rifle for a range firearm and of course because black rifles matter. I hope I never have to use it in anger. I have no fire fight fantasies but realize our world is a changed place and it is a good thing to have available just in case.

small scope, vortex? aim point patrol? what say the wise ones?

So......

Doc Safari
09-15-16, 15:39
One vote here for a TA33 ACOG, reticle of your choice. It's the best ACOG for eye relief. The 3x magnification compensates for older eyes but doesn't make it impossible to use as a red dot sight at closer ranges. It's expensive but built like a tank. It's lightweight and doesn't require batteries.

Falar
09-15-16, 15:54
Aimpoint Micro in a Scalarworks mount. You won't even notice its there when you pick it up.

Pilot1
09-15-16, 16:24
I have a newer Colt M4/LE6920, and I chose an SWFA SS 1-4x24. The glass is excellent, and I like the reticle a lot. It isn't too expensive either, and the do go on sale once in a while. It is pretty versatile also, even for close in work.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P78365.aspx

bighawk
09-15-16, 18:32
The aimpoint pro is a quality optic at an affordable price if you're looking for something with no magnification.

Dionysusigma
09-16-16, 04:42
AimPoint PRO.

wigbones
09-16-16, 06:00
Aimpoint PRO is a solid choice, but if your eyes aren't what they used to be you may want to check out a red dot sight before buying. Plenty of guys end up selling these quickly after buying once they realize the dot will never be crisp and in focus for them.

ExplorinInTheWoods
09-16-16, 10:39
For your eyes I would suggest either a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 or 1-6 with whatever reticle you like, the Trijicon Accupower 1-4, or take a look at the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4. I have two Trijicon 1-4's and love them and my dad has a Leupold Mark AR, and he really likes it. The Leupold can be had for less than $400 with an iluminated dot in the center, we got ours off of gunbroker.

JC5188
09-16-16, 11:08
What's your budget?

Lots of good optics already listed. I'm partial to the trijicons myself. The acogs of any flavor are absolute lifers, just try the eye relief first as DG mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

City Rat
09-16-16, 19:46
I have the Vortex Strike fire II mounted on my 6920. I'm about your age, eyes aren't what they used to be so I have the Strikefire low mounted ao that it is co-witnessed with my BUIS. Together its a nice sight picture.

HardToHandle
09-16-16, 21:01
I have tried and still have several different solutions to similar concerns.

Go try out a few sights at a nearby sporting store if possible.
My personal favorites are the non magnifying Aimpoint Micro and the heavier Vortex Spitfire. The Spitfire is really sharp for me and a pretty low price point.

What I do not recommend- the Eotech... Well known reliability issues but I was driven crazy by the issues with polarized glasses. Also have tried a low powered variable scope... The juice was not worth the squeeze... Too heavy, too limited eye relief and field of view.

vicious_cb
09-16-16, 22:52
With your eyes I would suggest a low power variable optic in the 1-4x or 1-6x range.

A good discussion about the subject can be found here.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?187017-Looking-for-1-6x-1-8x-or-even-better-1-10x-optics-suggestions

termite
09-17-16, 18:52
Whats your price range? If you can swing the money there are fantastic scopes that will work VERY well in distance and up close.

replacement
09-19-16, 07:15
I would not want to spend more on the optic than the cost of the rifle. Less than $850.00 but I do find myself with expensive tastes. Considering how much I work and how little time I have to shoot, I think anything over the 850 mark is excessive.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to start looking at the suggestions.

sierra 223
09-19-16, 09:53
Doesnt have magnification but another vote for Aimpoint PRO

replacement
09-19-16, 14:34
I have the Vortex Strike fire II mounted on my 6920. I'm about your age, eyes aren't what they used to be so I have the Strikefire low mounted ao that it is co-witnessed with my BUIS. Together its a nice sight picture.

wow just $200.00 ? did that include the mount to co-witness? It seems like a great value. Less then I thought I would have to spend.

What's the difference between this and aim point patrol optic?

BrigandTwoFour
09-19-16, 21:11
I would not want to spend more on the optic than the cost of the rifle. Less than $850.00 but I do find myself with expensive tastes. Considering how much I work and how little time I have to shoot, I think anything over the 850 mark is excessive.

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to start looking at the suggestions.

Not a knock on you, this is a perfectly reasonable stance to take. But in a lot of firearms circles, it is pretty much expected that the optic (especially magnified ones) cost more than the rifle they sit on. Good optics can make a mediocre rifle appear great, while shitty optics can make a fantastic rifle look "meh."

Jewell
09-19-16, 21:38
Another vote for the TA33. IMO, it's sounds like just the ticket for your needs. If you're really hell bent on not spending that much, go for the Aimpoint Pro. You won't get the magnification like the Acog, but you'll still be getting an excellent optic that's built like a brick shit house.

jstalford
09-19-16, 21:41
Love my ta33.

replacement
09-20-16, 06:42
ok I am looking at the TA33 and see they have several models. Please recommend the best model for 25 to 150 yards. I assume 3 - 30 is the one everyone likes (?)

Furbyballer
09-20-16, 08:23
Trijicon Acupower is one of the best bang for you buck around. Its a 1-4x sfp with BDC reticle.

BrigandTwoFour
09-20-16, 08:36
ok I am looking at the TA33 and see they have several models. Please recommend the best model for 25 to 150 yards. I assume 3 - 30 is the one everyone likes (?)

Historically, most have jumped on the TA33H model in either red or green. The horseshoe-dot combo is a good all-round reticle.

Doc Safari
09-20-16, 09:04
I use the red chevron TA33 because I think it's the easiest to use for range finding: top of the triangle for one range, width of the triangle tells you what range for the size of the target etc. YMMV

jstalford
09-20-16, 11:05
I also use the red chev but I have a ta31 with green horseshoe which is also sweet

jviz4u
09-22-16, 01:29
I'm at the same group as you and the eyes are not getting any better with time. I use Spitfire 3x Prism Scope
EBR-556B (MOA) Reticle. It letting me to extend to 300 yard easily..

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk