PDA

View Full Version : Knight's question

ABNAK
09-17-16, 08:39
Just got a Mod 2 carbine and would like to have it Cerakoted. Looked to see if Knight's themselves did it but it doesn't appear that they do custom stuff. The URX4 rail looks like it can be a real PIA to remove/install, especially with the new gas system that uses a collar.

Is there anyone certified or that regularly works on Knight's weapons that can undertake the Cerakote job? With what I spent on it I don't want Billy Bob's Refinishing Service to even touch the gun!

dcf1981
09-17-16, 08:48
boltcarrier.com, Ayan specializes in KAC.

AR415
09-17-16, 09:47
boltcarrier.com, Ayan specializes in KAC.

+1 For Boltcarrier.com. Top notch service with attention to detail.

09-17-16, 09:50
Just had a lot of work done by BC.

When it comes to KAC work, Ayan is the way to go; period.

ABNAK
09-17-16, 10:25
Only thing I notice is that he only does flat dark earth. I was kind of wanting it to be Cerakoted the same colors as it came from the factory, i.e. anything steel a manganese color and the aluminum a black color. I want it first and foremost as a protective coating from corrosion, scratches a distant second. I haven't ever really jumped on the FDE train.

termite
09-17-16, 18:42
boltcarrier for sure

tostado22
09-17-16, 19:48
Not knocking your choice, I've had a few guns redone in cerakote, but why not stick with the hard coat anodizing? Only places I've seen corrosion even on badly neglected ARs is on springs, BCGs, maybe barrels or sights

Firefly
09-17-16, 19:53
I did a KAC M110K1ish build and had it cerakoted by a guy known to me and it has held up well, but he cerakoted my stuff before I had the URX professionally assembled.

Boltcarrier for sure if you don't know exactly who you are dealing with and need URX installation.

ABNAK
09-17-16, 21:06
Not knocking your choice, I've had a few guns redone in cerakote, but why not stick with the hard coat anodizing? Only places I've seen corrosion even on badly neglected ARs is on springs, BCGs, maybe barrels or sights

That is my main concern. The barrel is basically unreachable with what is necessary to remove the updated gas system and special wrench to remove the URX4 handguard. I'd like to essentially have some corrosion resistance where I can't physically reach the surface to clean it or even wipe it off. I spoke to Ayan today and he is going to price me just removing the handguard and Cerakoting the barrel and gas block parts black, nothing else.

tostado22
09-18-16, 05:53
Cool man! In that case Ayan's the man. Let us know how it turns out

Falar
09-18-16, 11:06
That is my main concern. The barrel is basically unreachable with what is necessary to remove the updated gas system and special wrench to remove the URX4 handguard. I'd like to essentially have some corrosion resistance where I can't physically reach the surface to clean it or even wipe it off. I spoke to Ayan today and he is going to price me just removing the handguard and Cerakoting the barrel and gas block parts black, nothing else.

That is a downside with the new URX4: No more removable bottom rail.

ABNAK
09-18-16, 13:53
That is a downside with the new URX4: No more removable bottom rail.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I like the rail but when I first got the weapon I looked at it like "How the hell do you get this damned thing off?" Then I found a YouTube video with Jack Luba showing how to do it, and I was like "Screw that!" and made this thread. Best part is it wasn't exactly a simple process and Jack did it with the older Mod 1 gas system, not even the one with the collar I have!

dhena81
09-18-16, 14:04
I rattle canned my 14.5 Mod 2 it looks like shit I don't care though. One of the reasons I rattle canned it was because I can always remove it.

Jwknutson17
09-18-16, 14:07
Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I like the rail but when I first got the weapon I looked at it like "How the hell do you get this damned thing off?" Then I found a YouTube video with Jack Luba showing how to do it, and I was like "Screw that!" and made this thread. Best part is it wasn't exactly a simple process and Jack did it with the older Mod 1 gas system, not even the one with the collar I have!

The only issue I see if not being able to source the correct tool to take that gas block "nut" off. I cant seem to find one currently. I think of it as just another / different process in removal. It seems to be quiet simple. And from some of the taper pins that are a huge pain sometimes, I see this Mod2 gas block system a huge plus. I have installed a few URX4 Mloks with screw set gas blocks, but on my short list, is always every tool to work on my rifles top to bottom for myself. At least bolt on / replaceable parts. Once I source that specific wrench, I will rest easy on all my mod2 KAC rifles.

ABNAK
09-18-16, 14:12
The only issue I see if not being able to source the correct tool to take that gas block "nut" off. I cant seem to find one currently. I think of it as just another / different process in removal. It seems to be quiet simple. And from some of the taper pins that are a huge pain sometimes, I see this Mod2 gas block system a huge plus. I have installed a few URX4 Mloks with screw set gas blocks, but on my short list, is always every tool to work on my rifles top to bottom for myself. At least bolt on / replaceable parts. Once I source that specific wrench, I will rest easy on all my mod2 KAC rifles.

Well you should be able to use the same shims on re-installation as were on it before, so that part is a no-brainer. You'd need the special wrench for the handguard itself and, as you noted, the tool necessary to tighten the collar. I look at it like this: Ayan is a whiz with Knight's stuff so if I just get the barrel/block/collar Cerakoted then I *should* never have to take it off again.

Apparently you get the wrench if you buy just the handguard but not the whole rifle. Also, is it a proprietary tool from Knight's for the collar?

Jwknutson17
09-18-16, 14:17
Well you should be able to use the same shims on re-installation as were on it before, so that part is a no-brainer. You'd need the special wrench for the handguard itself and, as you noted, the tool necessary to tighten the collar. I look at it like this: Ayan is a whiz with Knight's stuff so if I just get the barrel/block/collar Cerakoted then I *should* never have to take it off again.

Apparently you get the wrench if you buy just the handguard but not the whole rifle. Also, is it a proprietary tool from Knight's for the collar?

When using a non KAC Mod 2 gas block, such as screw set type, I have no issues with the rail/handguard install removal itself. I am referring to factory mod2 guns. I do not have a way to take the gas block off, before removing the rail.

ABNAK
09-18-16, 14:22
When using a non KAC Mod 2 gas block, such as screw set type, I have no issues with the rail/handguard install removal itself. I am referring to factory mod2 guns. I do not have a way to take the gas block off, before removing the rail.

Gotcha. Yeah there's really no way to leverage the block forward or tap it with a mallet because of the handguard being in the way, kind of a Catch-22. Not sure how tightly seated onto the barrel the block is but I'll wager it has to be pretty snug to make a seal, hence not easy to get off.

Mine is a factory Mod 2 gun.

Jwknutson17
09-18-16, 14:27
Gotcha. Yeah there's really no way to leverage the block forward or tap it with a mallet because of the handguard being in the way, kind of a Catch-22. Not sure how tightly seated onto the barrel the block is but I'll wager it has to be pretty snug to make a seal, hence not easy to get off.

Mine is a factory Mod 2 gun.

The URX4 rails themselves do come with the wrench. Have a few of those, and you can also buy them by themselves. But its for guys like you and me, who also have factory guns, that wrench will do us no good unless we can get the gas block off first. That's the one I'm looking for.

The rail install itself is pretty easy just following the directions with the proper tools. But in your case, Ayan is GTG for what your looking for. No sense in trying to jimmy rig something to get the gas block off.

ABNAK
09-18-16, 14:42
The URX4 rails themselves do come with the wrench. Have a few of those, and you can also buy them by themselves. But its for guys like you and me, who also have factory guns, that wrench will do us no good unless we can get the gas block off first. That's the one I'm looking for.

The rail install itself is pretty easy just following the directions with the proper tools. But in your case, Ayan is GTG for what your looking for. No sense in trying to jimmy rig something to get the gas block off.

No doubt! On a $2K+ weapon I'll let a pro handle it for what I'm looking to have done, then I shouldn't need to be concerned after that.

dhena81
09-18-16, 15:32
You could probably take the gas block off with a ATI shotgun forend wrench. You'd have to find out the sizes its just a 2 pin spanner.

tom12.7
09-18-16, 16:44
It's not hard to make a good tool to remove it. It's pretty straight forward and not overly complex. Buck the BE with the KAC tool to handle the torque without straining anything. Easier than some 90's vintage SR-25s heavily coated with rocksett.