PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Gun Company

Fire4Effect
09-19-16, 16:23
Has anyone purchased a rifle that was on display from the Kentucky Gun Company online and had it shipped to his or her dealer? They have an AR platform rifle I am interested in, but it is on display behind the counter and this is the only one they have. Unfortunately no more will be produced until next year and I have not been able to find any dealers with one in stock. I had a bad experience recently with a rifle I purchased on line from another dealer that I would not have accepted if I had examined it first at the out of state dealer’s store. I just returned that rifle to the manufacturer due to a possible mismatch of the upper and lower receivers. Now I am uncomfortable buying a rifle that may have been handled a lot without examining it first.

GH41
09-19-16, 17:55
Has anyone purchased a rifle that was on display from the Kentucky Gun Company online and had it shipped to his or her dealer? They have an AR platform rifle I am interested in, but it is on display behind the counter and this is the only one they have. Unfortunately no more will be produced until next year and I have not been able to find any dealers with one in stock. I had a bad experience recently with a rifle I purchased on line from another dealer that I would not have accepted if I had examined it first at the out of state dealer’s store. I just returned that rifle to the manufacturer due to a possible mismatch of the upper and lower receivers. Now I am uncomfortable buying a rifle that may have been handled a lot without examining it first.

Take a deep breath and start over. WTF are you talking about?

dbain99
09-19-16, 19:34
Ok I'll take a stab.
I have purchased from Buds and Ky Gun Co. Before I filled out the 4473 at my local FFL I inspected both firearms briefly and everything was peachy. On another occasion I purchased a rifle from a seller on GB before filling out the 4473 I noticed a crack in the receiver which did not jive with the sellers representation so I declined the rifle and it was returned to the seller for a refund.
Are you looking at the exact model as carried by your local store?
Are you concerned about buying the "display"?
If so why?

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

RHINOWSO
09-19-16, 19:39
KY Gun Co is straight up good to go. Call them and discuss it, good people.

ace4059
09-19-16, 21:30
I have purchased several things from KY Gun Co and have been pleased. I haven't had any problems with them.

I would talk to a manager and have him visually inspect the rifle while you are on the phone. Ask him questions about finish and to look for scratches, cracks, bore, wear marks, etc... while he is giving the rifle its examination. They may even take several pics and email them to you if you ask nicely. It cant hurt to ask.

Fire4Effect
09-19-16, 21:32
Forgive me if the intent of my post was not clear.

I am very careful to ask the right questions before I make a purchase of a high-end firearm I can’t physically inspect at the selling dealer. I recently purchased a .308 version of the 5.56 rifle I would like to purchase from Kentucky Gun Company. Unfortunately the dealer, a very well know name in the industry, misrepresented what they sent me. I won’t detail the more serious thing they did.

I have searched the Internet for the rifle I am interested in and only found two available. One at the Kentucky Gun Company and the other on GunBroker. I talked with the sales representative at the rifle manufacturer and no more will be built this year. I have never purchased a firearm from the Kentucky Gun Company and my experience with a company representative so far has been good. If I had not had the previous problems with the .308 rifle dealer, or if there was additional inventory at the Kentucky Gun Company, I would have ordered the rifle today from them. I am just uncomfortable with a display firearm I can’t inspect until it arrives because the previous rife was misrepresented by the previous dealer.

I was just asking to see what experiences others may have had with the Kentucky Gun Company. I will follow-up with them to see what their return policy is, but I would like to avoid having to return the firearm.

ace4059
09-19-16, 21:44
I would imagine, there are several places that dont look at the firearm or do an inspection before they ship them to the FFL, especially if they are are large volume warehouse without a showroom floor/display.

They probably just verify the S/N and off they go to the shipping department.

So the "other dealer" that you had problems with might have shipped you the gun in the box, the same way it could have arrived from the factory to them. Basically a defective item out of the box. Or the dealer could have been shady and hoped you wouldn't inspect the item before the transfer. After the transfer, you have to deal with the manufacturer and their warranty dept. But since you didn't tell the story who knows.

kwg020
09-19-16, 21:49
There are so many parts "out there" maybe you should consider building one to your specs and not order one you have not been able to get you hands on. It sounds like you want something very specific and apparently may be non standard. Your best option is to build it yourself or order the parts you want and have someone you trust to build it for you.
kwg

glocktogo
09-19-16, 21:57
My dealings with kygunco have been good to go. Then again, I'm in to hard use guns, not collector's items. Call them and ask about their return policy. Keep in mind that they do a high volume on line and they've likely dealt with buyers wanting to return guns after "inspecting" them, only to return them for perceived flaws in fit or finish.

Just make sure you distinguish yourself as a serious buyer and set your reasonable expectations. I'm sure they'll do you right, or tell you their example won't meet your needs.

Fire4Effect
09-19-16, 22:12
I would imagine, there are several places that dont look at the firearm or do an inspection before they ship them to the FFL, especially if they are are large volume warehouse without a showroom floor/display.

They probably just verify the S/N and off they go to the shipping department.

So the "other dealer" that you had problems with might have shipped you the gun in the box, the same way it could have arrived from the factory to them. Basically a defective item out of the box. Or the dealer could have been shady and hoped you wouldn't inspect the item before the transfer. After the transfer, you have to deal with the manufacturer and their warranty dept. But since you didn't tell the story who knows.

The rifle has been returned to the manufacturer and they will determine the best course to repair the rifle. When I called the dealer and told the manager the problem with the rifle, he immediately started denigrating the manufacturer for poor manufacturing practices and said they were no longer going to sell this manufactures rifles. He stated they had many returns due to poor workmanship. When I mentioned this to one of the manufacturer’s managers he looked up the dealers account and noted they have not returned any rifles to the factory.

Regarding the more serious issue, if you knew the details you would know why I should not disclose them. Nothing good can come of it.

GaryXD
09-20-16, 08:02
I have no idea if the rifle at kygunco will meet your expectations. I did buy a pistol there a couple of weeks ago. They only had one of that model left so I had to take the display model. No problems whatsoever and I can't even tell that it has been handled.

slow10ker
09-20-16, 17:25
I live about 60 mile from KY gun co. I've purchased 3 AR platforms from them and a couple of pistols. My 6940p was purchased over the phone. The sales woman removed the rifle from the factory box and inspected it for me before I drove down there. They then held it for me till I could get there. Rifle was as described and I left happy. All of the other guns I bought FTF and have have never had a problem with them.

Hope this helps!

Fire4Effect
09-20-16, 21:11
Thanks everyone. I am waiting to hear back from them regarding a question I had. After I hear back from I will decide if I want to proceed.

karst_runner
09-22-16, 16:19
I made my first online purchase from any dealer yesterday with Kygunco. It was quite literally one of the best experiences I've ever had purchasing a firearm. The lady who took my order could not have been more pleasant. That aside, the price was right.

I purchased a Vickers 19 if you're wondering... I have not received it yet, but I don't know how you could screw up a Glock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Fire4Effect
09-22-16, 20:46
So far I have not had any success getting my question answered regarding the firearm I am interested in purchasing. All they have to do is check the hangtag on the rifle and tell me what it says.

karst_runner
09-22-16, 20:49
Have you called them? I'm serious about their customer service being excellent - I had trouble ordering from their website yesterday and calling them was a game changer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

HMM
09-22-16, 21:16
I've used them a few times. A buddy of mine as well, no issues with either of us. Good folks.

Fire4Effect
09-25-16, 01:16
Friday I sent a detailed e-mail to the Kentucky Gun Co. (KGC) asking questions about the firearm I wanted to purchase and requesting a manager to call me back. It was getting close to closing time today (Saturday) at the KGC so I called to ask if they had received my e-mail request. The person who answered the phone said it had been a very busy day, but he had planned to check the retail counter to obtain the information I requested about the rifle I was interested in after closing.

Soon after he called me back to say he could not find the rifle at the retail counter, but instead found it in the warehouse in its factory sealed box. Needless to say I am very pleased that it was not on display and it has only been in inventory since June of this year. I paid for the rifle and I look forward to it being received at my FFL dealer’s store.

So far I have had a very pleasant experience purchasing a firearm from the KGC.

slow10ker
09-25-16, 07:04
I've been down there a couple of saturdays last month. They've been crazy busy. The place is huge and now that the shooting range is open traffic has really increased. I like KGC much better than Buds. The sad part is I work next door to buds....

Fire4Effect
09-27-16, 11:44
So far the only downside is they do not stock 10 round Magpul magazines to replace the 30 round Magpul magazine provided by the manufacturer they can’t ship me and they do not let you keep the magazine release button and spring when they install a bullet button. Regarding the magazine release button and spring, it must be a company policy since it is not illegal to possess a magazine release button and spring in CA. It would be nice to have the original parts should I decide to sell the rifle out of state in the future.

Fire4Effect
10-01-16, 10:44
My rifle arrived yesterday at my dealer and the rifle was perfect. Thank you John at the Kentucky Gun Company. I look forward to doing business with them again.