PDA

View Full Version : Colt "MADE IN CANADA" A2 Gov't Carbine?

SeaDonkey
09-21-16, 11:19
Does anyone have experience with Colt "MADE IN CANADA" A2 Gov't carbines (6520)?

Mine is roll marked LEO/EXPORT USE ONLY. The serial number is LCC00003xx. It has an A2 fixed cary handle upper receiver, 16" pencil barrel, M4 extension, stock and hand guards. The extension is different than Colt, as the exposed threads outside of castle nut are machined away (neat), and the pistol grip is slightly different profile.

I have read online that Canadian LEO 6520s did find their way into the civilian market, after LEO trade in. I just had an opportunity to handle another with a later serial number.

Which makes me curious about my example. The other 6520 that I handled, and the examples I have seen online, all had a darker unmarked receiver. My receiver matches the grey finish lower perfectly, and is marked CM. My rifle, and the other 6520 shared the same barrel markings (typical Colt) and D marked carrier with MPD marked bolt.

Also, my lower is a different animal as well. The machining on mine was much cleaner, and had a tighter fit to the upper. The magwell reinforcement on the right side of the receiver is narrow on mine, and wide on the other. Also, the profile on mine at the receiver extension is similar to the later A2 receivers, while the other was ironically similar to early A2s (you can see the tube shaped relief where the detent spring is housed).

I know it likely a shot in the dark, as these things seem to relatively obscure, and I can find no information on one like mine with a low serial number. Any information is appreciated.

Mrgunsngear
09-21-16, 13:28
Does anyone have experience with Colt "MADE IN CANADA" A2 Gov't carbines (6520)?

Mine is roll marked LEO/EXPORT USE ONLY. The serial number is LCC00003xx. It has an A2 fixed cary handle upper receiver, 16" pencil barrel, M4 extension, stock and hand guards. The extension is different than Colt, as the exposed threads outside of castle nut are machined away (neat), and the pistol grip is slightly different profile.

I have read online that Canadian LEO 6520s did find their way into the civilian market, after LEO trade in. I just had an opportunity to handle another with a later serial number.

Which makes me curious about my example. The other 6520 that I handled, and the examples I have seen online, all had a darker unmarked receiver. My receiver matches the grey finish lower perfectly, and is marked CM. My rifle, and the other 6520 shared the same barrel markings (typical Colt) and D marked carrier with MPD marked bolt.

Also, my lower is a different animal as well. The machining on mine was much cleaner, and had a tighter fit to the upper. The magwell reinforcement on the right side of the receiver is narrow on mine, and wide on the other. Also, the profile on mine at the receiver extension is similar to the later A2 receivers, while the other was ironically similar to early A2s (you can see the tube shaped relief where the detent spring is housed).

I know it likely a shot in the dark, as these things seem to relatively obscure, and I can find no information on one like mine with a low serial number. Any information is appreciated.

FWIW I know a bunch were offloaded a couple months ago from the Phoenix PD

leibermuster
09-21-16, 14:46

Anything COLT Canada is made to a higher standard than anything Colt USA, so take it as a small advantage. Colt Canada parts and some full guns have made it down South back in the day to fill Colt USA orders now and then.

Remember Colt Canada makes a cold hammer forged barrel that all the other smart manufacturers are jumping on in the last 10 years especially now in the US. There barrels are awesome like DD, or FN for example.

Hapworth
09-21-16, 16:37
Anything COLT Canada is made to a higher standard than anything Colt USA...Interesting. Got links to evidence of this?

scooter22
09-21-16, 16:55
Interesting. Got links to evidence of this?

They use maple syrup instead of rokset.

w squared
09-21-16, 18:09
An AR made by Colt Canada came off of the same line as the rifles and carbines that are used by the Canadian Army. I have never owned one - but I will say that in my years of being issued one, neither I nor any of the soldiers in my platoon had any real issues with C7's or C8's that were not a result of the Elcan scopes or user error. (ain't nothing that's actually solider proof).

What you're describing is definitely not a Canadian Forces firearm - but if it came out of that same factory I would expect nothing other than great quality.

ST911
09-21-16, 20:51

Yup. I have some for patrol use and as pool guns since ~2006. Reviewed here:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?2408-Colt-AR6520s-Are-Shipping

Anything COLT Canada is made to a higher standard than anything Colt USA, so take it as a small advantage.

I have a bunch of Colt CT and Colt Canada guns on hand to compare. Tell me more.

Beat Trash
09-22-16, 09:57
I own a Colt 6920 made in Canada. I also own a few 6920's made in America. I bought the Canadian gun in 2006 when I was ordering a pair of 6920's through a LE dealer. These two guns shipped about a month apart from each other, and according to the barrel date stamps, the guns were made within a few months apart.

The only noticeable difference between the US and Canadian (Diemaco) guns that I have from the same time period is that the barrel twist info on the US made gun is stamped into the barrel and on the Canadian made gun, it's later etched. The "Fit and Finish" (I hate that phrase, by the way) on the Canadian made gun is the same as the US made gun from the same era. To tell the guns apart, I have to look at the barrel markings or look on the side of the lower and see what country is stamped on it. That's how comparable the quality between the two is.

The Diemaco guns do use cold hammer forged barrels, and my experience is that the CHF barrel on the Canadian gun is slightly more accurate. But the accuracy difference is not enough to notice unless you are benching the guns with good optics and are trying to look for it. We're not talking much difference at all.

SeaDonkey
09-22-16, 11:19
I don't currently have access to another Canada 6520, but I was able to compare with a two digit Colt Canada 6920. Keep in mind, the 6520 lower with a triple digit serial number, is likely manufactured well before the first 6920s were imported. The 6520 serial number prefix is LLC, and the 6920 prefix is LEC.

The later serial number Colt Canada 6950 lower that I handled recently was on par with the Colt Canada 6920 depicted here.

As you can see in the comparison, the early 6520 lower is much more refined, and profile is significantly different.

In the pix, my Colt Canada 6520 lower is on the left. The Colt Canada 6920 lower is on the right.

AR-556
09-22-16, 12:45
I would prefer the Canadian made SA-15.7 over an American made Colt any day!

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/Shooting/rifles/Colt-Canada-Diemaco-SA15-7-SA20-semi-automatic-rifles/

JG007
09-22-16, 16:24
Do all Canadian Colts have the chf barrel?

leibermuster
09-22-16, 16:38
Do all Canadian Colts have the chf barrel?

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misfit47
09-22-16, 17:45
Silly question, but does 922r apply to them?

scottryan
09-22-16, 18:17

Yes it does apply to them.

SeaDonkey
09-22-16, 18:36

The rifles are issued with Colt USA magazines. The fire control group in the Canadian rifles have identical markings as the USA Colt counterparts. Assuming that the FCG is Colt made, that is six 922r compliant parts right there. All you need is one more US part to be 922r compliant, and I'd wager that the M4 handguards and stock are US manufactured. These rifles were originally issued to LEO/GOV'T agencies, and made their way into the civilian market when traded in to distributors. These rifles have sear block fencing, and 16" barrels. There is no reason to break out the tin foil.

misfit47
09-22-16, 18:49
Thanks was just curious.

SeaDonkey
09-22-16, 18:56
Anything COLT Canada is made to a higher standard than anything Colt USA, so take it as a small advantage. Colt Canada parts and some full guns have made it down South back in the day to fill Colt USA orders now and then.

Remember Colt Canada makes a cold hammer forged barrel that all the other smart manufacturers are jumping on in the last 10 years especially now in the US. There barrels are awesome like DD, or FN for example.

I disagree with your suggestion that "anything COLT Canada is made to a higher standard…" If you look at the Colt Canada 6920 receiver, it is unimpressive. My early 6920 receiver is very nice IMHO, but it seems to be an anomaly (as does my upper with a CM marked A2 upper receiver and anodization which matches the lower).

Colt USA barrels are highly regarded for their service life and accuracy. I'm sure Diemaco hammer forged barrels are "awesome." So are Colt USA barrels. If you have enough time and ammo to quantify your opinion, I am envious.

Leaveammoforme
09-23-16, 17:54
I was cruising through this thread learning about Canadian Colts. Swelling up the noggin' with more gun stuff and making free space by deleting childhood memories . The whole time my brain was screaming "YES..YES..GIMMIE MORE.."

I then see this stuff, again. Have to login. Crap, missed a key. Try login again, successful. Click the little "Report Post" button. Then type this out.

Voodoochild
09-23-16, 20:04
Either act like adults and stop the bickering or I will treat you like children and put you in timeout.

SeaDonkey
09-23-16, 22:10
Is it possible to delete the garbage posts that dragged this thread into the toilet?

(Done. We now return you to the actual topic of this thread. -ST911)

AR-556
09-23-16, 23:29
Can the Colt Canada (Diemaco) SA-15.7 AR be bought here in the US? If so, which US Colt rifle does it compare to? Maybe the LE6920?

leibermuster
09-23-16, 23:47
http://www.nordicmarksman.com/Colt-Canada-British-Special-Air-Services-SAS-3rd-Gen-Integrated-Upper-Receivers.html

These just popped up for sale in Canada. Nice write up on the specs. Expensive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottryan
09-24-16, 23:24
Can the Colt Canada (Diemaco) SA-15.7 AR be bought here in the US? If so, which US Colt rifle does it compare to? Maybe the LE6920?

The SA 15.7 cannot be imported as it currently sits due to the 1989 import ban and GCA for civilian sales.

They would be an NFA SBR and also a non sporting semi auto rifle.

scottryan
09-24-16, 23:27
The rifles are issued with Colt USA magazines. The fire control group in the Canadian rifles have identical markings as the USA Colt counterparts. Assuming that the FCG is Colt made, that is six 922r compliant parts right there. All you need is one more US part to be 922r compliant, and I'd wager that the M4 handguards and stock are US manufactured. These rifles were originally issued to LEO/GOV'T agencies, and made their way into the civilian market when traded in to distributors. These rifles have sear block fencing, and 16" barrels. There is no reason to break out the tin foil.

That isn't a complete answer to this question.

The LE surplus rifles made in Canada can be sold to US consumers because they were not originally imported for civilian sales.

This is the same reason why all the California DOJ HK94s could be sold off to the civilian market even though they were imported after 1989. There are some LE trade in SIG 55X rifles that also fall into this category that are post 1989 but in civilian hands.

AR-556
09-24-16, 23:36
The SA 15.7 cannot be imported as it currently sits due to the 1989 import ban for civilian sales.

That's ashame. I don't know exactly what it is about the SA-15.7 that attracts me to it, but, I like it.
I wish they would break it down more in detail; I.E- The BCG, the barrel, the buffer tube, etc.

SeaDonkey
09-25-16, 02:23
That isn't a complete answer to this question.

The LE surplus rifles made in Canada can be sold to US consumers because they were not originally imported for civilian sales.

This is the same reason why all the California DOJ HK94s could be sold off to the civilian market even though they were imported after 1989. There are some LE trade in SIG 55X rifles that also fall into this category that are post 1989 but in civilian hands.

Understood....I've been tangled up with guys that argue 922r till blue in the face, who do not want to hear your explanation. Basically, unless I am missing something, the argument is that there isn't anthing set in stone giving blessing off these ex-LEO rifles in the U.S. other than, "it happened, it must be OK." 922r is set in stone, as redundant as it is. At least the LEO Canadian Colt rifles can be argued as compliant to import in some fashion.

JoshNC
09-25-16, 08:39
Understood....I've been tangled up with guys that argue 922r till blue in the face, who do not want to hear your explanation. Basically, unless I am missing something, the argument is that there isn't anthing set in stone giving blessing off these ex-LEO rifles in the U.S. other than, "it happened, it must be OK." 922r is set in stone, as redundant as it is. At least the LEO Canadian Colt rifles can be argued as compliant to import in some fashion.

Not correct. It is an import regulation. Rifles that cannot be imported for civilian use can be imported for LE/gov. If sold to LE/gov, the import regulation has been satisfied. LE agency then decides to sell/trade for new items, the rifles can be sold without restriction on the commercial market.

This has been done with Steyr AUGs, FNCs, HK94s, SIG 551s, and SIG 552s, the Canadian Colt 6520s, to name a few.

SeaDonkey
09-25-16, 08:47
Not correct. It is an import regulation. Rifles that cannot be imported for civilian use can be imported for LE/gov. If sold to LE/gov, the import regulation has been satisfied. LE agency then decides to sell/trade for new items, the rifles can be sold without restriction on the commercial market.

This has been done with Steyr AUGs, FNCs, HK94s, SIG 551s, and SIG 552s, to name a few.

OK, fine, please provide a link to a be import regulation that you speak of. I'm not arguing that it doesn't exist... I'm just stating I have read this argument numerous times, but nobody will/can produce this regulation, which backs up their claim.

scottryan
09-25-16, 09:03
OK, fine, please provide a link to a be import regulation that you speak of. I'm not arguing that it doesn't exist... I'm just stating I have read this argument numerous times, but nobody will/can produce this regulation, which backs up their claim.

There isn't link because there isn't a regulation.

You are asking us to provide proof of words that don't exist.

The import ban prohibits importation of non sporting guns for civilian sales. If the gun was imported for agency sales and is later sold as surplus to civilians, the import ban does not apply.

scottryan
09-25-16, 09:09
The Canadian monolith uppers can also not be imported due to the barrel ban portion of the import ban.

I have already extensively looked into this.