PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from the store, got a few questions....

BallisticHarmony
09-21-16, 18:25
Completed my FSC, started DROS and got to handle my stripped KAC SR-30 lower before handing it back to the powers that be for 10 days. Picked up a couple things on my way out and wanted to run them by the forum.

1. I believe my FFL transfer fee was $105.... Seems incredibly steep to me, is this an unusual ripoff or just the state of things?

2. Bought 4 boxes of this stuff without even checking it out first, hope it isn't total crap. It's brass cased so that's good.... Anyone use it? Hope it feeds well in the KAC MOD 2 upper. http://i67.tinypic.com/2e0o1g6.jpg http://i63.tinypic.com/35kloi1.jpg

3. The guy who rang me up insisted that these were all I needed for cleaning, lubing and maintenance. Is he correct in this? Should I order something else on top of it or call it a day?
http://i68.tinypic.com/261p6qa.jpg

Thanks

Coal Dragger
09-21-16, 18:34
1.) That FFL fee is ridiculous.

2.) That ammo is of very good quality, made in Germany. You did well.

3.) I would add a bolt/bolt carrier cleaning tool like the Otis BONE tool. I'd also buy a real cleaning rod like a Dewey or Bore Tech coated one piece rod, a good brass jag, and some good phosphor bronze bore brushes. You also need a chamber brush. Sometimes you will need to be able to clean more thoroughly than a bore snake can accomplish. Also if you don't already have one a GI tooth brush should be acquired.

JoshNC
09-21-16, 18:39
What's s FSC and DROS?

Righter13
09-21-16, 18:41
That fee is stupid high!!! Local fee around me is $25

Haven't dealt with ammo before

What was said above.

BallisticHarmony
09-21-16, 18:47
California required "safety" test and DOJ fees for processing the background check. Basically a bunch of money going to the state.

BallisticHarmony
09-21-16, 18:48
3.) I would add a bolt/bolt carrier cleaning tool like the Otis BONE tool. I'd also buy a real cleaning rod like a Dewey or Bore Tech coated one piece rod, a good brass jag, and some good phosphor bronze bore brushes. You also need a chamber brush. Sometimes you will need to be able to clean more thoroughly than a bore snake can accomplish. Also if you don't already have one a GI tooth brush should be acquired.

Oh dear, I wish all of that was in a pack....

Righter13
09-21-16, 19:01
California required "safety" test and DOJ fees for processing the background check. Basically a bunch of money going to the state. safety test on a stripped lower?

BallisticHarmony
09-21-16, 19:05
It's considered a firearm so yeah. It's my first one

daniel87
09-21-16, 19:06
safety test on a stripped lower?
Hmmm. Must have been assembled as a rifle and shot. Or perhaps they did a print check with a caliper. .... or not

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

BallisticHarmony
09-21-16, 19:07
Hmmm. Must have been assembled as a rifle and shot. Or perhaps they did a print check with a caliper. .... or not

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Nope, I bought it assembled but my Gunbroker guy had to break it down and send me the lpk separately since the FFL wouldn't take it with a regular mag release. I'll have to assemble it myself with a bullet button. It's not 80%, so it's considered a firearm.

wilson1911
09-21-16, 19:07
I second the otis bone tool, I love it.

Save the boresnake and clp for cleaning 22lr and oiling the lawnmower.:sarcastic:

What you need are:
MTM range box for the AR. Great range box.
https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Tactical-Range-Ultimate-Shooters/dp/B004N0KSG4/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1474501718&sr=1-2&keywords=Shooting+Range+Box
dental pick set
hex key set
otis bone tool
http://www.otistec.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=B12BAF0E36BA41719D19D15BC3F1207C
boreguide, i have the alum JP one.
https://www.amazon.com/JP-Enterprises-Wylde-Cleaning-Guide/dp/B003KT1782/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1474502053&sr=1-1&keywords=jp+bore+guide
coated cleaning rod, I use all boretech its great stuff. Best rods going
boretech eliminator
http://www.boretech.com/
lots of patches
kroil/fireclean/gun oil of some sort. Those are my fav's
3 brushes
2 jags
2 chamber brushes
2 chamber mops
work rag bundle from walmart. The microfiber ones for like 7 bucks.
screwdriver set or mini set

Thats what I would call the basics. Tailor it to suit your own needs. My box is packed full of stuff. I have the regular range box, the only difference is the mag block. I am normally the guy at the range who lends out to everyone. I use a 30 cal ammo can for all the cleaning fluids/patches. Finish stuffing it with a walmart rag and everything will stay upright. The box is too shallow in the bottom for fluid bottles.......but the first time you spill.....your going to move the cleaners into a separate box.

Congrats on the KaC purchase bro, I love mine.

chamber143
09-21-16, 19:20
Local fee around here is 25 as well. 100+ is freaking ridiculous. The ammo is awesome but that price is high as hell too. I bought it on line for something like 8 dollars a box. My recommendation is you find your self a new place to do business. I know i would.

BallisticHarmony
09-21-16, 19:25
Damnit, I had a hunch that the bore snake and CLP wasn't gonna cut it. My wallet is getting drained every day with more stuff I didn't even know I needed. There really isn't any way around buying all those cleaning supplies??

Arik
09-21-16, 19:52
Good ammo

High fee but dealers can charge whatever. Around here it's $30 -$40.

Cleaning kit is fine for beginners. I don't get much more than that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nightstalker865
09-21-16, 19:53
Damnit, I had a hunch that the bore snake and CLP wasn't gonna cut it. My wallet is getting drained every day with more stuff I didn't even know I needed. There really isn't any way around buying all those cleaning supplies??

You don't need all that to clean an AR. What you bought plus a toothbrush, shop towels, and some q-tips is an excellent start. If you find you need some type of special cleaning tool down the road then pick one up. What you have will get the job done very effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky5019
09-21-16, 19:55
Not sure what bullshit CA is trying to run on you but NICS checks are free for dealers to run. Anyone charging for a NICS check is full of it. The national avg for transfer fees seems to be around 25-50. Just sayin.

SeriousStudent
09-21-16, 20:00
$105 is high for the FFL transfer, unless she threw in four lap dances for free.

The CLP will work okay, just be sure and shake the bottle before you use it. Get an old toothbrush as well, to help clean nooks and crannies.

But your AR needs lubing more often than it needs cleaning.

Congrats on the new lower.

JoshNC
09-21-16, 20:03
I'm surprised at the number of people suggesting things like a bore guide, dental picks, bolt cleaning tools. All you need is a good cleaning rod with brushes and slotted tip for patches, a bore cleaner, shop rags (or paper towels), q-tips (occasionally and IMO infrequently), toothbrush, and lube. I very rarely run a brush down the bore on a chrome lined barrel. I very rarely clean a chrome lined barrel and when I do I tend to run a brush once then run a couple of oil soaked patches. Wipe the disassembled bolt group components clean. Wipe the inside of the upper receiver clean. Wipe the inside of the barrel extension clean. Lube. Assemble.

BallisticHarmony
09-21-16, 20:08
I'm surprised at the number of people suggesting things like a bore guide, dental picks, bolt cleaning tools. All you need is a good cleaning rod with brushes and slotted tip for patches, a bore cleaner, shop rags (or paper towels), q-tips (occasionally and IMO infrequently), toothbrush, and lube. I very rarely run a brush down the bore on a chrome lined barrel. I very rarely clean a chrome lined barrel and when I do I tend to run a brush once then run a couple of oil soaked patches. Wipe the disassembled bolt group components clean. Wipe the inside of the upper receiver clean. Wipe the inside of the barrel extension clean. Lube. Assemble.

Thanks. When you say wipe, do you mean after CLP has been sprayed and brushed?

Caduceus
09-21-16, 20:08

The CLP is fine- its what the military uses. You can go nuts, or stay basic. That being said you can drop a lot of money and doodads, bells and whistles, or just shoot the thing.

Zirk208
09-21-16, 20:13
$0.50/round was the most I would pay at the height of the Post-Sandy Hook gun/ammo shortage. $15/30 rounds=pass in my book.
$100+ for an FFL transfer is ridiculous. Was this a gun the guy had in stock, or did you order it online and just transfer it through him.
I think (just my thoughts) that a lot of local Mom/Pop gun stores are getting butt hurt over the proliferation of online gun sales and are starting to jack up transfer fees as a way to stick it to those who browse their stores, fondle the merchandise, but buy elsewhere.

skimbleshanks
09-21-16, 20:21
That fee is high. $20-30 most places here in Oregon. Cleaning can be simple. Get a cleaning rod, a 22 caliber jag some flannel patches and a 22 caliber brush. an old tooth brush is useful too. The clp will work for cleaning but i like Hoppes no.9. Lube is simple use the clp you already have or get some sewing machine oil or motor oil. Most any oil for machines should work. Honestly though, what you have will let you shoot for a while without damage even though eventually you will most likely end up with the above mentioned stuff plus some. The wonder products and super cleaners with claims too good (and priced to match) to be true usually are. A gun is just a machine. Keep it relatively clean and lubed and it will run.

BallisticHarmony
09-21-16, 20:24
$0.50/round was the most I would pay at the height of the Post-Sandy Hook gun/ammo shortage. $15/30 rounds=pass in my book.
$100+ for an FFL transfer is ridiculous. Was this a gun the guy had in stock, or did you order it online and just transfer it through him.
I think (just my thoughts) that a lot of local Mom/Pop gun stores are getting butt hurt over the proliferation of online gun sales and are starting to jack up transfer fees as a way to stick it to those who browse their stores, fondle the merchandise, but buy elsewhere.

SR-15s are banned in CA so I found an SR-30 lower in PA and had it shipped here

556BlackRifle
09-21-16, 20:53
SR-15s are banned in CA so I found an SR-30 lower in PA and had it shipped here

I feel sorry for you Kalifornia guys. I used to be one too. It really sucks that politicians rape you guys the way they do. Good luck with your build!

JoshNC
09-21-16, 22:10
Thanks. When you say wipe, do you mean after CLP has been sprayed and brushed?

I tend to just use paper towels and no CLP. Wipe the gunk off, reassemble, and lube. I usually remove the extractor to remove crud with a q-tip every 2-3k rounds or so.

Smokin338
09-21-16, 22:14
DAMN @ that transfer fee! Hell I just paid $60 to transfer 12 lowers. My usual guy only charges $15.

ace4059
09-21-16, 23:45
Here in Texas the transfer at a local store is $10/firearm. Another is $20 and doesn't matter if it's one or ten, still the same price.

We did have a store locally that charged a % of the cost of the firearm for the transfer. Needless to say, they went out of business pretty quickly.

darkwater1967
09-21-16, 23:56
Depends on where in CA you are...I'm in CA, too, but in a very rural area. There are only about 4 gun shops in the whole county, each around a 15-30 minute drive from my house. The dealers charge between $75 and $110, but $25 of that is what is mandated to go to the state to fund their ability to regulate, emasculate and confiscate guns as they deem necessary. Other more populated areas of CA seem to have lower fees, some hovering around $35.

July4th
09-22-16, 00:30
Not sure what bullshit CA is trying to run on you but NICS checks are free for dealers to run. Anyone charging for a NICS check is full of it. The national avg for transfer fees seems to be around 25-50. Just sayin.
Here in Florida FDLE is the point of contact, $5 per NICS check. Most state's point of contact is the FBI, you're saying the NICS check from the FBI is free? Some dealers in my area like to play games. I've overheard stuff like "BGC is $25, but we will do it for $15/$10 since -fill in the blank-". That PRK transfer fee is sky high, doesn't seem like a lot of folks have much choice.

July4th
09-22-16, 00:35
OP, a simple thing I like to do is save worn out under shirts. I take a sharpie and write GUN on them so I won't confuse them with other worn out undershirts I use for stuff like dusting, etc. I like to keep them around my cleaning area and usually have a fairly clean one on my lap in case the phone rings or there's a knock at the door. Congrats on your purchase!

Iraqgunz
09-22-16, 05:53
Let's all just back the flock up.

DROS fees are mandated by the state of California. There is no NICS check.

Several years ago CA gun dealers complained to the state that they were losing sales to online retailers. So the state implemented some changes. One of them is that you must also pay the state sales tax on the firearm based upon paid or market value.

An FFL can charge however much he wants because your only option is a transfer or buying something locally.

Generally when one factors the dealer fee, the DROS and then the sales tax the deal you thought you were getting isn't all that great.

GH41
09-22-16, 06:57

You are GTG with the snake and CLP. Anything more you should have around the house. The guy that listed the page of crap probably has a carpeted garage!

BuzzinSATX
09-22-16, 07:35
You don't need all that to clean an AR. What you bought plus a toothbrush, shop towels, and some q-tips is an excellent start. If you find you need some type of special cleaning tool down the road then pick one up. What you have will get the job done very effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed! Keep it simple to start. And buy new toothbrushes for yourself and recycle the used ones into your cleaning kit...

Some other cheap supplies I keep include pipe cleaners and ziplock bags.

Hint. When cleaning all the small metal parts (bolt, firing pin, etc.), put them all in a ziplock bag, spray liberally with CLP, LET SOAK 15-30 minutes, and they will wipe clean.

I prefer Ballistol as it it nontoxic, but your CLP will work fine until you use it up.

Take Care,

Buzz

BallisticHarmony
09-22-16, 10:49
Thanks guys, really appreciate all the advice.

JoshNC
09-22-16, 11:08
Agreed! Keep it simple to start. And buy new toothbrushes for yourself and recycle the used ones into your cleaning kit...

Some other cheap supplies I keep include pipe cleaners and ziplock bags.

Hint. When cleaning all the small metal parts (bolt, firing pin, etc.), put them all in a ziplock bag, spray liberally with CLP, LET SOAK 15-30 minutes, and they will wipe clean.

I prefer Ballistol as it it nontoxic, but your CLP will work fine until you use it up.

Take Care,

Buzz

Those small parts all wipe clean with dry paper towels and nothing else.

wetidlerjr
09-22-16, 11:22
I second the otis bone tool, I love it.
Save the boresnake and clp for cleaning 22lr and oiling the lawnmower.:sarcastic:
What you need are...yada, yada, yada...work rag bundle from walmart. The microfiber ones for like 7 bucks.
screwdriver set or mini set
Thats what I would call the basics. Tailor it to suit your own needs. My box is packed full of stuff. I have the regular range box, the only difference is the mag block. I am normally the guy at the range who lends out to everyone. I use a 30 cal ammo can for all the cleaning fluids/patches. Finish stuffing it with a walmart rag and everything will stay upright. The box is too shallow in the bottom for fluid bottles.......but the first time you spill.....your going to move the cleaners into a separate box.
Congrats on the KaC purchase bro, I love mine.

:rolleyes: Former Marine DI?

340pd
09-22-16, 13:23
OK, the fees are high and the ammo, just slightly too expensive. BFD. A month from now all that is forgotten.

Look for a GI cleaning kit that comes in a nylon pouch. Should be well under $20 delivered and it will contain everything you need. Popular auction sites are full of them. The CLP and the bore snake are essentials in my book so you have most of your cleaning money already spent. Enjoy your new gun and refrain from loading up on non-essentials until you have spent more time on this forum.

My 2¢

MegademiC
09-22-16, 13:58
As said, toothbrush and paper towels are all I'd add to cleaning kit.

BuzzinSATX
09-22-16, 14:05
Those small parts all wipe clean with dry paper towels and nothing else.

Firing pin certainly does, but other parts can have some carbon build up.

I like to soak the bolt, extractor, etc. to loosen up the carbon. Surely doesn't hurt and works for me.

YMMV.

Take Care,

Buzz

wilson1911
09-22-16, 14:09
I tried to list things that are good to have. I understand this is his first gun I think. The most important thing to have is the range box. I went for years with just a rod, brushes and patches. Then finally I got smart and decided to put it all in a box. I do not just have one gun, I have pistols, ar's, bolts, etc that I shoot. It has taken me several years of buying different things when I needed them.

How many of us have only 1 gun ??? 1 leads to 2, then 3, then 4......

The most important thing was to get a range box, then add items as needed, hence the "tailor it to suit your own needs"

I actually hose my AR with brake cleaner, swab the barrel with brush/jag, scrub the bolt with a toothbrush/otis tool, oil, and then reassemble.

I have much more than I listed. I have built a few AR's and reload for all my guns. Its not my gun that breaks down on the range, it all the guys with their first AR who bought a bottom feeder one that craps out at the range, The loose scope ring on a friends gun that needs to be locktited back down, or adjusting the zero on a scope. So instead of surfing around hundreds of threads for things, I made a short list for him to look at.

CPM
09-22-16, 19:38
The fee is as asinine as some of the cleaning supply suggestions. Welcome to 2016, that snake will take the place of a hundred patches and jags. The CLP is just fine as well. The only thing I would add would be q-tips.

Most importantly, have fun!

w3453l
09-22-16, 19:54
OP, a simple thing I like to do is save worn out under shirts. I take a sharpie and write GUN on them so I won't confuse them with other worn out undershirts I use for stuff like dusting, etc. I like to keep them around my cleaning area and usually have a fairly clean one on my lap in case the phone rings or there's a knock at the door. Congrats on your purchase!

+1

I just have a pile of old plain white tees that I designated as gun cleaning rags. Cut one up and you have enough rags to last a while.

I may be the only that does this, but I make my own "ghetto boresnakes". Just cut a long strip of white tee about 1-1.5" wide. Tie it in a knot just big enough to squeeze into a barrel. Just dip the knot in hoppes #9 and pull thru. I only do this with handgun barrels, but it works in a pinch.

OP were you at the store in "the Valley of Fountains"? $105 sounds about right for CA, but that's rediculous for a stripped lower. If you're interested I know two places in SoCal that are less than half that for a receiver transfer. PM me if anything, I don't want to post names online.

Firefly
09-22-16, 19:58
Whoever charged that much for a transfer needs to be kicked in the balls.