PDA

View Full Version : How tall

F_G
09-22-16, 07:48
I'm wanting to scope my Sig 716, it has the factory Sig stock and scope tube is 30mm. I'm having some difficulty trying to decide on ring height, I don't want it to high and want a decent cheek weld. I'm thinking medium rings should do..............but what say the collective? Also, what is the recommendation for rings?

Digital_Damage
09-22-16, 08:53
I'm wanting to scope my Sig 716, it has the factory Sig stock and scope tube is 30mm. I'm having some difficulty trying to decide on ring height, I don't want it to high and want a decent cheek weld. I'm thinking medium rings should do..............but what say the collective? Also, what is the recommendation for rings?

A lot goes into that decision.

How large of an objective lens are you looking at?

F_G
09-22-16, 09:13
A lot goes into that decision.

How large of an objective lens are you looking at?That probably would have been some good information. It is 42mm.

Digital_Damage
09-22-16, 13:20
42mm with, 30 mm tube. It will need to have the bottom of the ring to be .237 inches above the rail. So any of the Nightforce 30mm Ultralite will work.

Now that that is established you have some other considerations,

Clearance for BUIS.
Eye height above rail when resting.

Most will do just fine with Medium .410, if you have a longer face High might be more your thing at .535
Low .295 will not clear a BUIS.

F_G
09-22-16, 20:32
I appreciate your insight. Average face I guess.

Just to confirm, mediums will clear a BUIS?

Thanks again.

Digital_Damage
09-23-16, 07:32
I appreciate your insight. Average face I guess.

Just to confirm, mediums will clear a BUIS?

Thanks again.

Depends on the BUIS and the height of the eye lens, also if you will be using caps.

If you can send.
What specific scope are you getting.
What Caps.
What Buis.

I can give you the part number for the bare min.

F_G
09-23-16, 15:53
- Scope is a SWFA SS 10-42 side focus
- Butler Creek caps
- BUIS is whatever comes on a Sig 716 patrol, can't seem to find any distinguishing marks on them.

Digital_Damage
09-23-16, 19:22
- Scope is a SWFA SS 10-42 side focus
- Butler Creek caps
- BUIS is whatever comes on a Sig 716 patrol, can't seem to find any distinguishing marks on them.

Man, their site has no specification or dimensions listed. I might have to call them.

F_G
09-24-16, 09:10
Man, their site has no specification or dimensions listed. I might have to call them.Not that I have an abundance of experience with BUIS, my other AR's have Troy and MagPuls. I can tell you the BUIS on the 716 have an HK type front site and neither front or rear lock in the up position.

Digital_Damage
09-24-16, 10:19
Not that I have an abundance of experience with BUIS, my other AR's have Troy and MagPuls. I can tell you the BUIS on the 716 have an HK type front site and neither front or rear lock in the up position.

I have the spec on the BUIS, I'm talking about the scope. They list the lens size but not the outer diameter of the housing.

F_G
09-26-16, 13:52
I have the spec on the BUIS, I'm talking about the scope. They list the lens size but not the outer diameter of the housing.Oh sorry, if I get some time I'll give SWFA a call.

Hochsitz
09-27-16, 10:41
Nearly all AR mounts fall between 1.4-1.5" above the rail. This works for just about everyone as well as being compatible with clip on night vision devices. It's the standard the industry is built around. No scope should have a problem interfering with the rail even with butler creek caps installed. If you get a fancy aftermarket stock and have a wide face you might want to err on the side of 1.5" center height but generally nobody complains about this. "Medium" rings are for bolt guns where the 1.5" would be way too high requiring a bunch of padding to be taped up on the stock to get a cheekweld while looking through the scope.