PDA

View Full Version : experiences with 22mods4all uppers

zackmars
09-22-16, 15:35
let me start off by saying this is an upper a family member purchased. despite my advice to buy from BCM, DD, etc

from what i can gather, this is the upper he bought

https://22mods4all.com/en/barreled-upper-assemblies/245654-16-556mm-ar15-keymod-extended-18-twist-cmv-barrel.html

right off the bat, the "Chamber 5.56 Nato/ .223 Wylde Depending Upon Availablity" is a MASSIVE HUGE red flag

he also got the M16 nitride BCG, and looking at the pictures on the site, there is a 50% chance that is staked at all, let alone properly

to top it all off, he bought an 80% lower, and milled it out. from the pictures i've gotten, noting looks outwardly wrong (aside from the castle nut not being staked), but beauty/skin deep...

is there any other issues i should expect? normally i wouldn't get involved, but this guys helped me out a number of times, and i dont want him to get totally burned...

HeruMew
09-22-16, 15:43
He bought a used 80% lower?

As in... It was already fully manufactured and working/able to take a parts kit when he purchased it?

zackmars
09-22-16, 15:49
He bought a used 80% lower?

As in... It was already fully manufactured and working/able to take a parts kit when he purchased it?

Apparently. Its my understanding that is not illegal though, is that correct?

zackmars
09-22-16, 15:58
From what i gather, it's illegal if it was completed in order to sell. From what info i am given, it was used by the original owner for some time, and was not completed with the intention to sell

HeruMew
09-22-16, 16:05
Oh yes,

I am sorry, I was not implying legality, more so... Ouch. Hopefully he got a good deal, otherwise lowers are pretty decently priced at the moment.

You are correct, as long as the lower was not "manufactured" with the "intent" to sell it, it's not illegal. (Though a big gray area and YMMV)

ETA:

In regards to the actual upper he bought, lots of red flags. Quality won't be told until he has it in hands. I suppose if he spent the 400 on an upper, less than a 100 on the lower, if it works for him, than so be it.

But, yes, doesn't much represent those top players in the market at the moment.

zackmars
09-22-16, 16:06
Ok, correction, he milled out the 80% himself.

He bought the reciever from a local kitchen table dealer, and mistyped

Kdubya
09-25-16, 10:14
I actually came across this site a while back as well. Called the company on a number of occasions for more info. They were surprisingly responsive and forthcoming. I even talked with the owner a couple of times. Their responsiveness was so positive that I ended up buying an upper. I had a few Anderson lowers laying around, and figured it wouldn't hurt to see if these uppers were worth the money. Because, really, they aren't a lot of money. They have a Lifetime Warranty, and claimed on the phone that they've only ever had a couple of uppers sent back. Apparently, they pretty much build them to order. They test fire before shipping, and this was evident with the upper I received.

Before ordering, I called them and asked specific questions about the item I planned to purchase (a 10.5", 1:7 Twist, Keymod). I was told it was an Anderson upper, with an FN barrel. 4150 and Nitrided. The upper arrived quickly, and for $209 it is actually quite nice. M4 Feed Ramps and Barrel Extension, Cerro Forge Mark, and fits very nicely with my Anderson Cerro forged lowers. The overall machining looks very clean. There was one small blemish on the upper, but it's purely cosmetic. I did not purchase the BCG add-on, so I can't speak to the quality in that regard. IIRC it was a $99 add on for the BCG and CH. I wanted to give an NP3 BCG a try, which I still haven't done, but also had a couple unused bolts laying around that I could use in the interim to test the upper. I've only put about 100 rounds through it, but haven't had any issues. That's certainly not an extensive testing, but so far I have no complaints.

My overall impression of this company is that they are a small shop trying to make it in a saturated market. I feel like they have a lot of components laying around, but assemble in small batches to ensure they aren't stuck with a bunch of configurations that don't sell. Essentially, they build to the current demand. The owner was very kind, knowledgeable, and seemed passionate about his craft. Overall the customer service was great, and I have little doubt they wouldn't fix an issue if one arose.

I do caution everyone from jumping to conclusions so quickly. They're being called out as suspect for the .223 Wylde or 5.56, depending upon availability, description. But, if you'd take two seconds and investigate, there is a choice for barrel upgrades in the ordering section. Guess what? You can choose between the two chambers. Some probably sell out occasionally. Hence the "upon availability" caveat. So, not nearly a massive red flag when looked at in the correct context with all the facts. I get it. They're not DD, Colt, or BCM. So it's okay to judge them without objectivity or giving the benefit of the doubt. As IG once told me, when I'd questioned if a tooling mark on a Geissele trigger was cause for concern, and if I should expect more from a company of their notoriety...

"Internet forums have a large global audience and unsubstantiated or ill-informed comments will affect the livelihoods of a lot of hard working people in the industry."

What he'd referenced is straight from the M4C Site Rules.

Just because 22mods might be inexpensive, doesn't mean they aren't working hard to put out a good product for the price point. I realize the comment about the chambers being a red flag wasn't likely out of malice. But, in a rush to assume they're crap uppers, some readily available information was overlooked that would have made this a non-issue. But now, that assertion is out there. And, this company may have to contend with an invalid critique with their future potential customers. Again, I don't think it was out of malice, but I think we need to be a bit more contentious of personal bias, and more objective in our evaluations.

If anyone wants pics of my 22mods upper, general or specific areas, please let me know and I'll be happy to get some together.

KalashniKEV
09-25-16, 10:48
...this guys helped me out a number of times, and i dont want him to get totally burned...

Yeah, man, 22modall is right up there with Gothic Viking, Homeless Infidel, and Booty Arms: i.e. Just as good as Colt!

Plus I wouldn't worry at all about a homemade AR receiver, it's been crafted to the user's own custom spec! With the money saved over a $39 Anderson Lower, he can buy a 30-rack of Coors Light, get hisself shit-tay, and now he's got 30 targets for the backyard!

Just junk it...

zackmars
09-26-16, 02:36
I actually came across this site a while back as well. Called the company on a number of occasions for more info. They were surprisingly responsive and forthcoming. I even talked with the owner a couple of times. Their responsiveness was so positive that I ended up buying an upper. I had a few Anderson lowers laying around, and figured it wouldn't hurt to see if these uppers were worth the money. Because, really, they aren't a lot of money. They have a Lifetime Warranty, and claimed on the phone that they've only ever had a couple of uppers sent back. Apparently, they pretty much build them to order. They test fire before shipping, and this was evident with the upper I received.

Before ordering, I called them and asked specific questions about the item I planned to purchase (a 10.5", 1:7 Twist, Keymod). I was told it was an Anderson upper, with an FN barrel. 4150 and Nitrided. The upper arrived quickly, and for $209 it is actually quite nice. M4 Feed Ramps and Barrel Extension, Cerro Forge Mark, and fits very nicely with my Anderson Cerro forged lowers. The overall machining looks very clean. There was one small blemish on the upper, but it's purely cosmetic. I did not purchase the BCG add-on, so I can't speak to the quality in that regard. IIRC it was a $99 add on for the BCG and CH. I wanted to give an NP3 BCG a try, which I still haven't done, but also had a couple unused bolts laying around that I could use in the interim to test the upper. I've only put about 100 rounds through it, but haven't had any issues. That's certainly not an extensive testing, but so far I have no complaints.

My overall impression of this company is that they are a small shop trying to make it in a saturated market. I feel like they have a lot of components laying around, but assemble in small batches to ensure they aren't stuck with a bunch of configurations that don't sell. Essentially, they build to the current demand. The owner was very kind, knowledgeable, and seemed passionate about his craft. Overall the customer service was great, and I have little doubt they wouldn't fix an issue if one arose.

I do caution everyone from jumping to conclusions so quickly. They're being called out as suspect for the .223 Wylde or 5.56, depending upon availability, description. But, if you'd take two seconds and investigate, there is a choice for barrel upgrades in the ordering section. Guess what? You can choose between the two chambers. Some probably sell out occasionally. Hence the "upon availability" caveat. So, not nearly a massive red flag when looked at in the correct context with all the facts. I get it. They're not DD, Colt, or BCM. So it's okay to judge them without objectivity or giving the benefit of the doubt. As IG once told me, when I'd questioned if a tooling mark on a Geissele trigger was cause for concern, and if I should expect more from a company of their notoriety...

"Internet forums have a large global audience and unsubstantiated or ill-informed comments will affect the livelihoods of a lot of hard working people in the industry."

What he'd referenced is straight from the M4C Site Rules.

Just because 22mods might be inexpensive, doesn't mean they aren't working hard to put out a good product for the price point. I realize the comment about the chambers being a red flag wasn't likely out of malice. But, in a rush to assume they're crap uppers, some readily available information was overlooked that would have made this a non-issue. But now, that assertion is out there. And, this company may have to contend with an invalid critique with their future potential customers. Again, I don't think it was out of malice, but I think we need to be a bit more contentious of personal bias, and more objective in our evaluations.

If anyone wants pics of my 22mods upper, general or specific areas, please let me know and I'll be happy to get some together.

Thanks for the post.

I did see that you can specify the barrel you want, but I'm not the one who bough the upper, and the person who did isn't exactly a gun person

Kdubya
09-26-16, 03:39
Thanks for the post.

I did see that you can specify the barrel you want, but I'm not the one who bough the upper, and the person who did isn't exactly a gun person

You're welcome. Thanks for clarifying your reason for concern being the end user not knowing the difference. Although, I think you'd agree that a company isn't responsible for the consumer's lack of knowledge. Obviously, there can be exceptions to that "rule". But I don't think this is one of them. Fortunately, in this case, nothing catastrophic would likely happen to an uninformed consumer; as both chambers can handle .223 and 5.56 loadings. Given that this individual is not "a gun person", I feel that he'll be pleased if everything functions reliably. It sounds like his total investment is probably around $400. For a functioning range gun, with a casual shooter on a budget, there's not much more one could ask for.