PDA

View Full Version : Help/Info needed on Upgrading Headlights To LED

Straight Shooter
09-22-16, 23:01
Looking to upgrade headlights on a 2014 Nissan Altima.
Need opinions/advice on who makes good LED's, should I go another route, and for those who run them, do you like the LED upgrade yourself.
Where to get them, good brands, ect.

Kenneth
09-23-16, 00:05
Led or HiD?

For HiD I used
http://www.hidextra.com

On Black Friday they have 50% off sales. Or at least they used to. I did low beams and fog lights on a 2012 Dodge Ram and they are extremely bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildcard600
09-23-16, 00:13
Best bet would be to check out some nissan or altima centric forums.

Word of caution however, at this point there are no legal "drop in" LED headlight bulbs on the market. Phillips is supposed to be working on one but as of now there are none that are DOT approved and therefore cannot be legally used on the road. Those cheap (and no so cheap) retrofits are garbage and spray light all over the place. Maybe fine for you, but will blind other drivers and not be anywhere near as good as a correctly designed projector housing purpose built (or properly retrofitted) for LED.

In the jeep world (wrangler) a set of proper LED headlights will run you $400 to $800+. Since the jeep uses common 7" round headlight assemblies they tend to be much cheaper than proprietary headlight designs.

You are probably much better off just getting some premium high output replacement incandescent bulbs.

nimdabew
09-23-16, 01:33
If you do go this route, you would need to buy a whole new headlight assembly since HID's and LEDs use different reflectors from the stock incandescent type light bulbs. HID's throw out tons of light, but are generally less useful light because the reflector is designed for a different type of light source. Think flood vs throw in weapon lights.

ETA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p9gQvzOLog

Straight Shooter
09-23-16, 02:43
So, are there no upgrades for a projector type headlight? It doesn't have to be LED, just an improvement over what Ive got.
Seem to be losing some night vision as I get older. Plus, my area is full of deer just waiting to commit suicide I reckon.
Are HID bulbs the answer?

Averageman
09-23-16, 08:09
So, are there no upgrades for a projector type headlight? It doesn't have to be LED, just an improvement over what Ive got.
Seem to be losing some night vision as I get older. Plus, my area is full of deer just waiting to commit suicide I reckon.
I would also recommend a web site that closer fits your needs. I have a Tacoma and the amount of available information on head lights alone is enough to give you a headache trying to read it all, but that's better than the headache from a bad experiment.
Aftermarket lights are one of those things you don't want to be the Beta tester on. From what I have read in my case, there is a sweet spot between too much light spread all over and just way too much light in general. I would research it and maybe you'll find a better answer than here.
Also don't be afraid to use Tacoma World and see what those guys have done, it can't be that far off what your looking for.

wildcard600
09-23-16, 10:37

According to a quick google search some altima's came with HID lighting from the factory. Do you know what kind of bulbs your car takes ? If you already have HID, LED will not be an improvement and you should probably look into some auxiliary lighting (fog or driving lights).

Straight Shooter
09-23-16, 12:37
I would also recommend a web site that closer fits your needs. I have a Tacoma and the amount of available information on head lights alone is enough to give you a headache trying to read it all, but that's better than the headache from a bad experiment.
Aftermarket lights are one of those things you don't want to be the Beta tester on. From what I have read in my case, there is a sweet spot between too much light spread all over and just way too much light in general. I would research it and maybe you'll find a better answer than here.
Also don't be afraid to use Tacoma World and see what those guys have done, it can't be that far off what your looking for.

According to a quick google search some altima's came with HID lighting from the factory. Do you know what kind of bulbs your car takes ? If you already have HID, LED will not be an improvement and you should probably look into some auxiliary lighting (fog or driving lights).

Will do on the other forums..hell I haven't even thought about a "Nissan Forum" or the like for some reason.
Also, Ive got fog lights. Don't know whats in the car now..how do you find out?

wildcard600
09-23-16, 12:56
Will do on the other forums..hell I haven't even thought about a "Nissan Forum" or the like for some reason.
Also, Ive got fog lights. Don't know whats in the car now..how do you find out?

Sometimes the bulb info is printed on the outside of the headlight, otherwise you will need to pull the bulb. Is it the 2.5 or 3.5 ?

Straight Shooter
09-23-16, 14:30
Sometimes the bulb info is printed on the outside of the headlight, otherwise you will need to pull the bulb. Is it the 2.5 or 3.5 ?

2.5 SV