PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 G17 throwing brass into rmr

Hayseed
09-25-16, 18:08
Hello,
I have a new to me gen 3 G17 I out an rmr on. I believe I am the first to shoot the gun. It has been throwing brass into the slide mill mounted rmr pretty consistently. I didn't notice any BTF issues before the rmr (could have been there, but I never got hit by brass so I never thought about it). Now I can't help but notice the brass bouncing off the rmr 10-12 times a magazine.
Would an apex extractor solve this?
Ammo has been mixed between WWB, Freedom 124/147gr, and my own reloads.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

ralph
09-25-16, 18:50
Maybe....I'm afraid you might have to roll the dice to find out, The Apex extractor will probably fix about 90% of the btf issues by itself, a hred can also help..

Hayseed
09-25-16, 20:20
Hred?

davebee456
09-25-16, 20:23
what the first letter of the serial on your gen 3?

Hayseed
09-25-16, 20:37
Victor.

Kilo 1-1
09-25-16, 20:38
Get a Gen 4 Ejector. You may most likely have to buy a complete Gen 4 mech housing to get one, but it's fixed my ejection issue with a May 2016 production gen 3 19 of mine, as well of others Gen 3 guns that had this issue. Part should run less than $10.

davebee456
09-25-16, 20:41
i would call glock on monday give them a chance to fix the gun

Hayseed
09-25-16, 20:41
I have gen4 guns, should I swap ejectors just to see if it is the solution?

davebee456
09-25-16, 20:42
Also just replace the ejector to the Gen 4 Ejector only.

Hayseed
09-25-16, 20:44
I have to wonder if they'll just say that because I modified the slide they cannot help me?

davebee456
09-25-16, 20:46
i doubt it.

Hayseed
09-25-16, 20:48
I guess I'd rather that be last resort, I know BTF is a common issue, I guess I'll try gen 4 ejectors, then apex, then sending it back.

Lurp
09-25-16, 23:33
I had BTF issues with a Gen 3 G19 and a Gen 4 G19 and tried all of the available solutions, including an APEX extractor, to fix them. In my particular case the most successful solution was the White Sound Defense HRED as mentioned earlier in the thread. It essentially swaps the high mass part of the extractor assembly to being stationary, therefore constant tension is kept on the extractor throughout the ejection cycle. With the normal heavy extractor plunger it is allowed to move against the extractor spring during recoil, relieving tension on the extractor as the slide slows its rearward travel and thereby causing loss of control of the ejecting brass. Its not a miracle worker for sure, but worth a try considering its only $20.

ralph
09-26-16, 09:31
I guess I'd rather that be last resort, I know BTF is a common issue, I guess I'll try gen 4 ejectors, then apex, then sending it back.

That's about all you can do, The last Glock I bought was about 2yrs ago, it's a grey framed g19. My first Glock was a gen3 g19 that was made when btf was at it's height.. and this g19 was a bad one, A Apex extractor could'nt fix it..I ended up selling it. About 3yrs later, I stumbled onto a deal for a gen4,g17 it runs like a top, ejects like it's supposed to and is alot of fun to shoot. I liked it so much I thought Glock must have gotten things cleared up, and bought the grey framed gen4 g19. The very first rounds out of it, went right to my face...I sent it back to Glock once, and they replaced the extractor, and recoil spring, that did nothing to improve it. I called Glock back to complain and they asked what kind of ammo I was using, and I told them both factory, and my reloads ( I'd been loading for 30yrs at that point in time, so, I think I know what I'm doing) Glock then gave me a ration of shit for using reloads, and said that violated the warranty, and then asked what I wanted them to do, I told them I wanted them to look at it, and they said they'd send a shipping label via e-mail...They never did. I then bought a gen 4 Apex extractor, and that made a huge improvement ,but it still was'nt right. I called Apex and they suggested I try a gen 3 extractor, and sent one out to me, with the promise that if it worked I'd send the gen4 extractor back to them, they even supplied a pre-paid envlope for me to do that. Well, I installed it and it worked! I'll still get a btf on occasion, but it's pretty rare anymore. I also tried a HRED, and found that, in my pistol it did'nt work that well, it made things worse. At this point I've pretty much swore off of Glocks, recently I had a desire for a g21, but this time I got smart..local shop had one for rent, so, I tried it out..I had never shot one before. I LOVED IT! It shot very well, very soft for a .45 but, it threw every peice of brass into my face, and Apex dosen't make a extractor for the 21..So much for that. OP Good luck, I hope you get it worked out. Myself? I've pretty much given up on Glocks, I have two that work, and I'm not buying any unless I can shoot it first, or if Glock gets their head out of their ass, admit there's a problem, and redesign the slide, and their Rube Goldberg ejection system.

Hayseed
09-26-16, 10:28
Well, I've got around 16k rounds through my gen 4 19, with absolutely zero issues. I don't see myself, being a pretty simple person, giving up Glock.
I think I have enough to work with to have a good chance at fixing it. Just have to find the right combo of extractor and ejector to get it to not hit the glass. I'll post updates as I try things out.

nml
09-26-16, 12:18
Thought Apex was the cure for everything but eventually figured out G17 and G19 slides are different enough. Apex and Glock never mention this. Maybe it is assumed to be common knowledge.

So don't run an unfit Apex Gen4 in a 17. (Gen3 not sure). It will work better but rare ammo/case will create real problems due to insufficient extractor grip (worse than stock!).

For other guns I am experimenting with reduced RSA but nothing you want to do on a RMR milled gun.

nml
09-26-16, 12:28
One thing to try is some hot 9mm that runs subguns or le/mil 124 +P. If it runs much much better ...like I think it will... a properly fit Apex may be only solution with stock RSA.

DaBigBR
09-26-16, 20:04

That seems backwards. Swapping gen 4 parts fine, but buying aftermarket stuff and if that doesn't work only then contacting Glock?

Hayseed
09-26-16, 20:09
Maybe. I am in the mindset of fix things myself, especially tools that I use often like my guns. I know I'm capable of trying out some simple fixes, if it doesn't work then I send it to Glock. Simple as that. That's my mindset at least.

SW CQB 45
09-26-16, 20:15
if you plan to return to glock, just make sure all factory parts are re-installed.

Hayseed
09-26-16, 20:18
So should I pick up the metal shavings and reform them around where the rmr mounts? 😉

SW CQB 45
09-26-16, 20:20
I was referring to ejector, extractor, etc. I done forgot you machined the slide, so it does not matter. my bad.