PDA

View Full Version : How do Steiner Optics stack up to Nightforce and USO in the LPV scope game?

Furbyballer
09-26-16, 08:14
Good morning gents,

I have been able to get my hands on both the Nightforce NXS 1-4 and the USO 1-4 mil and horus. Both have some awesome pros and some big cons. I am really asking for the guys with experience on the steiner 1-4s and 1-5s to give their opinions on where they stack up in relation to USO and Nightforce. I am not interested in the razor just due to its size and weight.

Just some info about me and why I am looking at LPV optics. I have a very bad astigmatism that was not 100% corrected with PRK. I utilize red dots, but am really trying to swap most of my optics to LPV scopes.

My experience with the Nightforce.

Pros: Great glass, great light transmission, simple reticle, compact, light weight, integrated throw lever,great eyebox, good eye relief, rugged and durable.
Cons: Not daylight bright red dot, weird diopter adjustment (I really struggled to dial it in for my eyes), probably more like 1.25-4

My experience with the USO 1-4

Pros: Good glass, great reticle, compact, rugged, durable, FFP, great eyebox, good eye relief, best red dot I have ever seen in a LPV optic.
Cons: Glass is not as clear as the NF (not even as clear as my accupower), light transmission is noticeably worse, heavy at 20oz.

I have no experience at all with steiner, which is why I am coming to you guys. From what I have read, it seems the steiner is merger of these 2 scopes. Amazing glass, BDC reticle, amazing red dot, great eye box, and all their models are between 17 and 20 oz. Do you guys recommend their 1-4 (cheapest), their 1-5 txi (mid and on par with NF and USO), or their top model 1-5 military?

Thanks
Dan

JoshNC
09-26-16, 08:39
Good morning gents,

I have been able to get my hands on both the Nightforce NXS 1-4 and the USO 1-4 mil and horus. Both have some awesome pros and some big cons. I am really asking for the guys with experience on the steiner 1-4s and 1-5s to give their opinions on where they stack up in relation to USO and Nightforce. I am not interested in the razor just due to its size and weight.

Just some info about me and why I am looking at LPV optics. I have a very bad astigmatism that was not 100% corrected with PRK. I utilize red dots, but am really trying to swap most of my optics to LPV scopes.

My experience with the Nightforce.

Pros: Great glass, great light transmission, simple reticle, compact, light weight, integrated throw lever,great eyebox, good eye relief, rugged and durable.
Cons: Not daylight bright red dot, weird diopter adjustment (I really struggled to dial it in for my eyes), probably more like 1.25-4

My experience with the USO 1-4

Pros: Good glass, great reticle, compact, rugged, durable, FFP, great eyebox, good eye relief, best red dot I have ever seen in a LPV optic.
Cons: Glass is not as clear as the NF (not even as clear as my accupower), light transmission is noticeably worse, heavy at 20oz.

I have no experience at all with steiner, which is why I am coming to you guys. From what I have read, it seems the steiner is merger of these 2 scopes. Amazing glass, BDC reticle, amazing red dot, great eye box, and all their models are between 17 and 20 oz. Do you guys recommend their 1-4 (cheapest), their 1-5 txi (mid and on par with NF and USO), or their top model 1-5 military?

Thanks
Dan

Are you using this with 5.56, 308, or something else?

I have the now discontinued military 1-4x and absolutely love it. A friend has the t5xi 1-5 and it is also a great optic. No experience with the p4xi 1-4 or the military m5x 1-5. For the price it seems you cannot go wrong with the p4xi. One member here posted a short review of his and I'm optimistic about this optic. It is US made and I believe has Schott glass. Steiner's illumination is second only to the vortex razor HDII. The reticle is very simple but very useable. I regularly make hits at 600 yds with my MWS with 16" chrome-lined barrel. The military 1-4 is heavy at 23oz. The p4xi is very appealing to me due to its weight, size, features and price.

Re: the m5x 1-5, given its price I think I would either look at the t5x 1-5 and save a bunch of money or look at the kahles k6i with sm-1 reticle instead. You get 6x mag and a very well designed very brightly illuminated reticle. Alternatively if this is being used on a 308 and you're willing to spend more like $2800-$3k, find a used leupold cqbss with h27d.

Furbyballer
09-26-16, 08:47
Thanks for the response man. This will be for 5.56. I agree that the m5x is probably not the value to performance I am looking for when the t5x is available. I am really looking at the p4x and t5x. As for Kahles and swarovski, those are just a little too expensive for me to seriously consider and im not sure they have the same durability or ruggedness as the 3 manufacturers listed in the post.

JoshNC
09-26-16, 09:40
Cool, I would definitely look at the p4x and T5x. The 5x mag on the T5x is really nice. The glass, FOV, eye box and illumination are great. The reticle, which applies to both the p4x and T5x, is very useable and the holdovers work well. I'm personally seriously considering a p4x as it is cheap enough that if I'm not happy with it, I can sell it at a small loss and not really be out of pocket much at all.

Furbyballer
09-26-16, 09:43
Cool, I would definitely look at the p4x and T5x. The 5x mag on the T5x is really nice. The glass, FOV, eye box and illumination are great. The reticle, which applies to both the p4x and T5x, is very useable and the holdovers work well. I'm personally seriously considering a p4x as it is cheap enough that if I'm not happy with it, I can sell it at a small loss and not really be out of pocket much at all.

Would you take your steiner over the USO and NF?

cop1211
09-26-16, 17:35
I've had the NF 1-4, I have had the Militay Steiner 1-4, I now have the Steiner P4XI.
For the price you can't beat the P4XI. I plan on getting 1-2 more.

gaijin
09-26-16, 19:44
I have the NF 1x4, the Steiner military 1x4 and their P4Xi 1x4.
While I've heard some ragging on the P4Xi, re quality, I haven't seen it.
The only thing I'm not crazy about with this optic is the reticle.
I much prefer the reticle in the military scope to the plex type (with ranging hash marks) in the P4Xi.
The flip side; the military scope is substantially heavier- 23 to 17 oz. from memory.
Both have (very) daylight bright illumination.
The 1x appears damned close to 1x.
Both of my Steiners are currently on rifles, the NF is on the shelf.

Furbyballer
09-27-16, 07:40
I have the NF 1x4, the Steiner military 1x4 and their P4Xi 1x4.
While I've heard some ragging on the P4Xi, re quality, I haven't seen it.
The only thing I'm not crazy about with this optic is the reticle.
I much prefer the reticle in the military scope to the plex type (with ranging hash marks) in the P4Xi.
The flip side; the military scope is substantially heavier- 23 to 17 oz. from memory.
Both have (very) daylight bright illumination.
The 1x appears damned close to 1x.
Both of my Steiners are currently on rifles, the NF is on the shelf.

Thanks man. So I guess the steiners are indeed in the same league and no one has mentioned USO. So I guess they are definitely worth looking into and considering.

drift_g35
09-27-16, 09:33
My uncle works for Steiner here in Colorado. He said they have a pretty crazy the torture test room. I won't buy anything but a Steiner after seeing some optics they have trashed and still work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk