PDA

View Full Version : FBI: Murders Up Nearly 11 Percent In 2015; Violent Crime Rose Slightly

WillBrink
09-26-16, 12:56
Fresh stats of interest. Does not come as a surprise to anyone paying attention and the actual causes will be ignored:

Newly released FBI data show the number of murders in the U.S. rose nearly 11 percent last year and violent crime increased by nearly 4 percent, but crime researchers said homicides and other violence still remain at low rates compared with a crime wave from 20 years ago.

Seven cities are largely responsible for the increase in murders last year: Chicago, Baltimore, Houston, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Kansas City and Washington, D.C. That pattern has not held steady into 2016, as homicides in some places, including Baltimore and Washington, D.C., have dropped.

The FBI says firearms were used in more than 70 percent of the murders last year.

John Pfaff, a law professor at Fordham University who closely follows crime, said on Twitter, "The number of rapes is less than in 2009, the number of robberies less than in ... 2013, and assaults less than in 2010. Still quite safe."

But for the Justice Department, the rise in homicides and some other violent crime compared with 2014 is getting plenty of attention.

U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch, speaking in Arkansas on Monday at a meeting on targeting trouble in urban centers, said violence "tears at the fabric of our common life." She added that any such increase "is of the deepest concern ... to the entire Department of Justice." Federal authorities blasted out a series of news releases announcing grant awards to communities to enhance the sharing of information about illegally purchased weapons and other crime-fighting measures.

The issue of law and order has been a persistent theme in this year's presidential race, as Republican candidate Donald Trump has urged the need to restore order to U.S. cities, and his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, has emphasized the need for partnerships between law enforcement and communities of color. The new FBI crime data could become a topic during their first presidential debate Monday night in New York.

Cont:

http://wlrn.org/post/fbi-violent-crime-rose-slightly-2015-murders-nearly-11-percent

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-26-16, 13:30
City isn't even the right granularity level. It should be zip codes. That will really make things evident. The gun grabbers love to use state level info because the large populations of states outside of major cities hides the murder rates when done per capita.

There should be a metric for how close the next murder it. On the South side of Chicago, it would be measures in yards.

WillBrink
09-26-16, 13:38
City isn't even the right granularity level. It should be zip codes. That will really make things evident. The gun grabbers love to use state level info because the large populations of states outside of major cities hides the murder rates when done per capita.

There should be a metric for how close the next murder it. On the South side of Chicago, it would be measures in yards.

And considering the cities they list as the primary drivers of those increased numbers, no correlation between those with restrictive gun laws and those without seems evident. Banners will simply say that's because the guns are purchased in states with "lax" gun laws, where as we'll simply point out criminals will get guns regardless of the laws.

sevenhelmet
09-26-16, 16:03
And considering the cities they list as the primary drivers of those increased numbers, no correlation between those with restrictive gun laws and those without seems evident. Banners will simply say that's because the guns are purchased in states with "lax" gun laws, where as we'll simply point out criminals will get guns regardless of the laws.

Exactly. The best response to the "nearby purchase" argument is that such purchase and transport schemes are illegal. The gun laws aren't lax, the criminals are simply ignoring them.

Averageman
09-26-16, 16:19
Exactly. The best response to the "nearby purchase" argument is that such purchase and transport schemes are illegal. The gun laws aren't lax, the criminals are simply ignoring them.

And when they aren't covenant to the narrative, like more gun control the ATF will overlook them also.
Like I have said before, they don't want to get in to these area's where the gun crimes are happening, they could get hurt. They will however go out to Cron Field County Illinois and catch a Farm Boy shooting turtles with a "sawed off" that's a smidge under the limit.
Go in to the high crime zip codes in Chicago? That aint gonna happen.

Firefly
09-26-16, 16:36
And when they aren't covenant to the narrative, like more gun control the ATF will overlook them also.
Like I have said before, they don't want to get in to these area's where the gun crimes are happening, they could get hurt. They will however go out to Cron Field County Illinois and catch a Farm Boy shooting turtles with a "sawed off" that's a smidge under the limit.
Go in to the high crime zip codes in Chicago? That aint gonna happen.

This. Rufus in the woods with an oil filter suppressor and a shotgun 17.9999999994 inches long shooting possums gets ATF wearing cammies and getting their operator on.

Chiraq and any other hood not a peep. I personally saw a Fallout looking single shot break action shotgun cut down to the nub on tge barrel and stock cut off and wrapped in duct tape and rusted to hell. ATF was nowhere in sight. Not even a state charge. Reduced to a misd of CCW no license and felon in possession dropped. "Well it was just a burglary. If someone died or was home we might not cut this deal. Gun still getting destroyed, no big deal"

Yeeeaaaahhhhh.......ATF, ADA and so on really earning that paycheck

Averageman
09-26-16, 17:36
This. Rufus in the woods with an oil filter suppressor and a shotgun 17.9999999994 inches long shooting possums gets ATF wearing cammies and getting their operator on.

Chiraq and any other hood not a peep. I personally saw a Fallout looking single shot break action shotgun cut down to the nub on tge barrel and stock cut off and wrapped in duct tape and rusted to hell. ATF was nowhere in sight. Not even a state charge. Reduced to a misd of CCW no license and felon in possession dropped. "Well it was just a burglary. If someone died or was home we might not cut this deal. Gun still getting destroyed, no big deal"

And that guy's going to get an early "Non Violent Offender" release because he was able to cut that deal.
The only thing between him and murder with the gun was being caught in the act.
I have a feeling that streamlining these cases also fits someone's agenda.

sevenhelmet
09-26-16, 18:02

So I don't need to worry about violating NFA, as long as I don't kill anyone? Cool! :rolleyes:

SteyrAUG
09-26-16, 19:18
Obama's America.

jpmuscle
09-26-16, 19:22
So I don't need to worry about violating NFA, as long as I don't kill anyone? Cool! :rolleyes:
Not unless your white man

sevenhelmet
09-26-16, 21:00
Not unless your white man

Aw, darn. I knew that would bite me in the ass someday. Sigh. I guess all that "privilege" comes with a price.

Could I change my race to "trans-European"? My mother was an immigrant... then can I have SBRs and suppressors?

T2C
09-26-16, 22:46
In all fairness to the city of Chicago, it is far from being the most violent city in the country.

In the past, the City of St. Louis had a homicide rate of 50 per 100,000 and may hit 56 per 100,000 this year. The city of East St. Louis now has a small population, but averages 100 homicides per 100,000. The city of Chicago averages 18 homicides per 100,000. The city of Chicago accounts for a large number of violent crimes, but that is due to the large population of the city. The city of Chicago may have the highest number of homicides this year, but the rate per 100,000 pales in comparison to other cities in the Midwest and Chicago is far from being the most violent city.

If tax payers would apply pressure on their Congressmen and Representatives to provide political support to police agencies, the violent crime rate will correct itself.

glocktogo
09-26-16, 23:20
Hillary lied in the debate about the NYC murder rate being lower since they ended stop and frisk. Lester Holt didn't correct her, but he incorrectly "corrected" Trump on it being ruled unconstitutional. :(

Fwiw, I'm against stop and frisk, but the double standard is palpable.

Moose-Knuckle
09-27-16, 02:34
Of course violent crime is on the rise, you have to drink some serious Kool-Aid and smoke some bad $hit not to pick up on that.