PDA

View Full Version : Vltor CASV-M vs. other options

blkexp98
09-08-08, 16:25
I am looking for some opinions on the Vltor CASV-M vs some other options out there. The other rails im interested in are: Larue 10", DD M4 10.0 (I thought DD made a 10.0 lite or was that a screw up on my part?). The upper in question has a 12.5" barrel and a muzzle mounted suppressor (not reflex).

One of my main potential problems with the Vltor CASV-m is the rail. My rear iron would still work but i would need to figure out something for the front as it doesnt look like my Troy sight will cooperate. Im also not wild about the sight that you can get with it. It would also mean leaving off my magnifier and taking the spacer out of my aimpoint mount. It just seems with that handguard i would have to "make it work" if that makes sence.

What does the DD MK18 RIS II offer over the other rails if i dont plan to own a 203? Also does it come in basic black? I only see tan on the site. DD is about 4 or 5 hours from me so it would almost be worth me driving there if i could see the place and get the handguard too.

Another option is the SWS rail but i would really prefer a 10" over a 9" midlength. Have any of you done their custom work option? If so what did you have done and what were some rough prices? Do you ever find your fingers getting to the barrel or is it pretty well protected?

Thanks for any help.

spamsammich
09-08-08, 16:45
I am looking for some opinions on the Vltor CASV-M vs some other options out there. The other rails im interested in are: Larue 10", DD M4 10.0 (I thought DD made a 10.0 lite or was that a screw up on my part?). The upper in question has a 12.5" barrel and a muzzle mounted suppressor (not reflex).

One of my main potential problems with the Vltor CASV-m is the rail. My rear iron would still work but i would need to figure out something for the front as it doesnt look like my Troy sight will cooperate. Im also not wild about the sight that you can get with it. It would also mean leaving off my magnifier and taking the spacer out of my aimpoint mount. It just seems with that handguard i would have to "make it work" if that makes sence.

What does the DD MK18 RIS II offer over the other rails if i dont plan to own a 203? Also does it come in basic black? I only see tan on the site. DD is about 4 or 5 hours from me so it would almost be worth me driving there if i could see the place and get the handguard too.

Another option is the SWS rail but i would really prefer a 10" over a 9" midlength. Have any of you done their custom work option? If so what did you have done and what were some rough prices? Do you ever find your fingers getting to the barrel or is it pretty well protected?

Thanks for any help.

Just get the lite rail, same lockup as the RIS II without the extra stuff you probably don't need. G&R and Bravocompany carry it.

KevinB
09-09-08, 09:06
If you not wedded to the current upper - VLTOR's VIS upper.

KAC URXII (I'd get a rifle length cut to fit you system, one KAC guy in Fla does it)
DD RIS II
DD OMEGA 9
Larue 10"

C4IGrant
09-09-08, 13:03
The VLTOR CASV-M is fantastic (especially with their flip front sight).

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/JN%20Rifleworks/Switch_Block_Build1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/JN%20Rifleworks/Switch_Block_Build.jpg

chadbag
09-09-08, 13:30
It would also mean leaving off my magnifier and taking the spacer out of my aimpoint mount. It just seems with that handguard i would have to "make it work" if that makes sence.

I am not sure why you would have to leave the magnifier off?

FWIW, the folks I have sold the CASV-M to have really liked it

Chad

blkexp98
09-09-08, 21:05
I was under the impression the flip front sight was less than desirable on the CASV-M. Thats good to know that i was mistaken. How much does that front sight add to the price from any of you site sponsors? (A pm or e-mail may be more appropriate)

Grant thats a great looking build you have too. Im sure you or the customer will be happy to get that.

After some thinking your right there is no reason i couldnt use the magnifier. I like the fact that you can add rails but there not on the handguard (except the top one) unless you need them.

Do any of you have the Vltor CASV-M on a 12.5" barreled upper or a 16" with a carbine length gas system that i can edit?

What is the heat transfer like on the vltor handguard. I dont have FA but may shoot faster than normal in semi at times. Is this handguard more of a glove handguard or does it dissipate the heat pretty well? How do the Larue and DD compare?

Is there any reason any of you would say to take a careful look at the Vltor as if there was some issue with it? If so what kind of issue am i looking at?

Thanks for all the help so far,

Major

The VIS would be a great option but Id rather just keep my upper for the moment atleast.

spamsammich
09-09-08, 23:04
I was under the impression the flip front sight was less than desirable on the CASV-M. ..

What gave you that impression?

Are you worried about co-witness? If not, CASV for sure man. It would look amazing with a SBR. Be sure to post pictures. I really like that handguard.

Lawdog-1
09-09-08, 23:43
Grant, is that a Gas Piston upper? and if so what brand and price?

spamsammich
09-09-08, 23:57
Looks like a noveske switch block to me.

Lawdog-1
09-10-08, 00:10
when in the world did Noveske come out with a switchbox upper?

spamsammich
09-10-08, 00:56
It's been in the works.

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com
Check it out man, it looks sweet!

spamsammich
09-10-08, 00:59
OP,
Check out

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.uppers.html#casvmg

for pics of the CASV-M on lots of different uppers. The SBR with the KX3 looks mean.

login is: mm
password is: mm

C4IGrant
09-10-08, 08:40
I was under the impression the flip front sight was less than desirable on the CASV-M. Thats good to know that i was mistaken. How much does that front sight add to the price from any of you site sponsors? (A pm or e-mail may be more appropriate)

Grant thats a great looking build you have too. Im sure you or the customer will be happy to get that.

After some thinking your right there is no reason i couldnt use the magnifier. I like the fact that you can add rails but there not on the handguard (except the top one) unless you need them.

Do any of you have the Vltor CASV-M on a 12.5" barreled upper or a 16" with a carbine length gas system that i can edit?

What is the heat transfer like on the vltor handguard. I dont have FA but may shoot faster than normal in semi at times. Is this handguard more of a glove handguard or does it dissipate the heat pretty well? How do the Larue and DD compare?

Is there any reason any of you would say to take a careful look at the Vltor as if there was some issue with it? If so what kind of issue am i looking at?

Thanks for all the help so far,

Major

The VIS would be a great option but Id rather just keep my upper for the moment atleast.

I believe the VLTOR flip sight for the CASV-M is like $59. LT and DD rails are both quality IMHO.

The CASV-M has no issues with heat so I would not worry about that. It is also one of the more rigid rail systems out there and you can place rails where you want them.

C4

C4IGrant
09-10-08, 08:41
Grant, is that a Gas Piston upper? and if so what brand and price?

It is the Noveske Switch Block. They are not available yet and no firm pricing. They will also ONLY come installed on a Noveske barrel.

C4

blkexp98
09-10-08, 18:59
Sounds good so far. Lets say i do buy the Vltor CASV-M and now my optics will no longer interchange between my ar's. I like the ARMS #40L rear sights and have one i can use behind the CASV rail. For my other 2 rifles would a ARMS #38 ex swan sleeve with the attached 40L be the best bet to get my optics back to being universal. Are they approximatly the same height?
Are there any other good options for a riser? I have a YHM but it doesnt seem as permanet (strong) as the ARMS swan sleeve. My current aimpoint mount is the #22 M68 mount with the cantilever riser.

Do any of you or the board sponsors have an option for the riser or the ARMS #38 ex with the 40L?

I would like to be able to swap my aimpoint and scope between uppers. As for a cowitness that isnt a nessesity to me but is nice for a quick and dirty zero check. I would like to be able to use the irons through the aimpoint though.

On the Vltor CASV front sight, can you swap front sight posts or would i be limited to that one if i didnt like it?

Sorry for all the questions. Im one of those people who likes to research allot before i buy something important.