PDA

View Full Version : Rock River Waiting Period?

STI2031
09-08-08, 17:30
:mad:Whats up with Rock River. My FFL placed an order for me for a Entry Tactical on May 15th.

This is what was received back:

Thank you for your online order. Please allow 4-8 weeks delivery for .223 upper halves, rifles or rifle kits. Please allow 12-14 weeks delivery for the Elite Comp Rifle and .458/6.8/9mm upper halves or rifles. Please allow 10-12 weeks delivery for Pro-Series Rifle Packages and .223/9mm pistols or pistol upper halves. RRA LAR-8 .308 rifles are not in production at this time, please check our website for updates. Stripped and complete lowers delivery time is approximately 8-12 months.

Come Sept. 15th I will be at 16 weeks. He's called and checked on the order being told their isn't a ship date as of yet.

Really getting discouraged with Rock River.

joe_sun
09-08-08, 17:52
You left out the best part of that email

NOTE: Once submitted, all orders are final. Any changes in your order requested after submission, including configuration, subs, etc., will result in a $25 reprocessing charge.

I just ordered some middy handguards from them and got that email. I thought to myself that I was glad I hadn't bought an upper from them.

Cowtown556
09-08-08, 18:28
http://www.ar15sales.com/ call Pete

GONIF
09-08-08, 19:09
when it comes to RRA ,Pete is the man.:D

JDL Sales
09-09-08, 10:16
RRA makes nothing themselves. They purchase from others. An example would be the RRA lower is manufactured by CMT (Stag Arms) RRA takes orders until they have enough for production then they submit the order to CMT and the lowers get manufactured. They do not like to have anything in inventory.
It is kind of a lousy system for the consumer; however this is how they keep their costs down. Unfortunately they don't extend the savings to their customers. Long waiting time and high prices, they are also hard to deal with as a dealer.
RRA is not not my favorite.

C4IGrant
09-09-08, 11:57
When I see people waiting for RRA, I always have to ask why???

C4

STI2031
09-09-08, 12:28
When I see people waiting for RRA, I always have to ask why???

C4

Because I was able to configure the Rock River the way I wanted, plus Armalite isn't currently producing the model I wanted to purchase.

C4IGrant
09-09-08, 12:52
Because I was able to configure the Rock River the way I wanted, plus Armalite isn't currently producing the model I wanted to purchase.

Roger. Let's take a look at the RRA Tactical Entry.

Price on this weapon runs around $1k (depending on how you have it configured).

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/rra/rra_ar1251.jpg

The first problem with the gun is that the Tactical Carry Handle is the worst idea ever. It is heavy, expensive and limits what you can use with it (scopes, EOTech's and ACOG's will not work).

The second issue is that that the barrel only comes in 1/9 twist, is made out of the cheapest barrel steel available (4140) and is not HPT or MP'd.

The third issue is that the RRA Bolts are not HPT/MP'd, and their gas keys tend to be poorly staked.

The fourth issue is that RRA uses commercial receiver extensions (the cheapest available) and tends to use loctite on the castle nut instead of staking them properly (big no no).

The fifth issue is that RRA uses large gas ports on their carbines. This means that you have more powder/residue in your weapons, more recoil and are basically beating the weapon to death.

So now lets look at what you COULD have bought for around the same money.

BCM 16" M4 (all mil-spec)
LMT or BCM BCG (all mil-spec)
LMT lower (L7C2) (all mil-spec)
M4 Double Heat Shield HG's
Forged Charging Handle (mil-spec)

All for the price of $899.

I am not trying to tear down your AR choice, but there are a lot better quality choices out there for equal or less money and there is no waiting on them! ;)

C4

STI2031
09-09-08, 14:23
Roger. Let's take a look at the RRA Tactical Entry.

Price on this weapon runs around $1k (depending on how you have it configured).

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/rra/rra_ar1251.jpg

The first problem with the gun is that the Tactical Carry Handle is the worst idea ever. It is heavy, expensive and limits what you can use with it (scopes, EOTech's and ACOG's will not work).

The second issue is that that the barrel only comes in 1/9 twist, is made out of the cheapest barrel steel available (4140) and is not HPT or MP'd.

The third issue is that the RRA Bolts are not HPT/MP'd, and their gas keys tend to be poorly staked.

The fourth issue is that RRA uses commercial receiver extensions (the cheapest available) and tends to use loctite on the castle nut instead of staking them properly (big no no).

The fifth issue is that RRA uses large gas ports on their carbines. This means that you have more powder/residue in your weapons, more recoil and are basically beating the weapon to death.

So now lets look at what you COULD have bought for around the same money.

BCM 16" M4 (all mil-spec)
LMT or BCM BCG (all mil-spec)
LMT lower (L7C2) (all mil-spec)
M4 Double Heat Shield HG's
Forged Charging Handle (mil-spec)

All for the price of $899.

I am not trying to tear down your AR choice, but there are a lot better quality choices out there for equal or less money and there is no waiting on them! ;)

C4

Thanks for providing your insight. I won't disagree or agree with what you've said nor will I debate one brand being superior to the other.

However this is how I configured my Entry Tactical.
1. Entry Tactical W/Chrome Lined Barrel with out carry handle or mount
2. R-4 Handguard
3. Ergo Grip
4. 6 Position Tactical Stock
5. A2 Front Sight
6. Star Safety Selector
7. Chrome Lined Lightweight R-4 1:7 Twist
8. Smith Vortex Flash Hider
9. Standard Trigger Guard
10. Standard Latch
11. Standard Mag Catch

As for the bolt easily replaced or one could stake yourself.

My Bushmaster bolt gas key was never staked, not one issue with the fuction of the rifle, due to gas key being unstaked.

Knownot
09-09-08, 14:32
Lilja uses 4140 for barrels. It's not like 4140 is pot metal. :rolleyes:

C4IGrant
09-09-08, 14:40
Thanks for providing your insight. I won't disagree or agree with what you've said nor will I debate one brand being superior to the other.

However this is how I configured my Entry Tactical.
1. Entry Tactical W/Chrome Lined Barrel with out carry handle or mount
2. R-4 Handguard
3. Ergo Grip
4. 6 Position Tactical Stock
5. A2 Front Sight
6. Star Safety Selector
7. Chrome Lined Lightweight R-4 1:7 Twist
8. Smith Vortex Flash Hider
9. Standard Trigger Guard
10. Standard Latch
11. Standard Mag Catch

As for the bolt easily replaced or one could stake yourself.

My Bushmaster bolt gas key was never staked, not one issue with the fuction of the rifle, due to gas key being unstaked.

Roger. By changing out the bolt you are adding more money. The barrel is also not equal to that of a BCM or LMT (and you paid more for it). Staked gas keys is a MUST as they WILL ALL EVENTUALLY come loose.

The point is that you could have a better weapon for cheaper in your hands already.

C4

GONIF
09-09-08, 14:41
you can lead a horse to water ,but you can't make him drink :rolleyes:

C4IGrant
09-09-08, 14:41
Lilja uses 4140 for barrels. It's not like 4140 is pot metal. :rolleyes:

No, but it is not the best. Why settle when you can have better for the same amount of money. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
09-09-08, 14:43
you can lead a horse to water ,but you can't make him drink :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know. I find though that people are not aware of the fact that brand XYZ is of lesser quality and often times could get something better for the same amount of money.

C4

theJanitor
09-09-08, 15:15
My first AR was build on a stripped RR upper and lower. i did this so i would know more about the weapon system and i thought it'd be pretty cheap. i DID learn tons about what it takes to build one and keep it running and it was not terribly expensive or cheap. But the thing i learned the most is: you can do better with products from LMT and the like for comparable money.

Copis
09-09-08, 15:16
Advertising works....RRA pays for big adds...They all want the 'Rock :D

Bill

STI2031
09-10-08, 21:44
I found in an email from Rock River that they have significant delays from suppliers due to high demand(barrels ets.)

I think I'm going to place an order for a Noveske N4 Light Carbine, Basic.

rob_s
09-10-08, 21:54
I'm waiting on an RRA 9mm upper to show up at my dealer. This damn project has been plagued, but the worst offender by far is RRA with their ridiculous lead times on things.

If you're absolutely fixated on something from RRA, buy it from a dealer that has it in stock.

STI2031
09-10-08, 22:12
Noveske if correct approximately 2 weeks to my FFL.

A friend of mine is still waiting for a RRA lower since January.

28_days
09-10-08, 23:31
Noveske if correct approximately 2 weeks to my FFL.

A friend of mine is still waiting for a RRA lower since January.

So you canceled your RRA order? Good choice. You won't be disappointed.

Magic Sauce
09-11-08, 00:20
I love my Noveske LC, and if you get one, you will too! :p

Dualspringfields
09-20-08, 00:53
So Rock Rivers sucks???? Just wondering because I was going to get one monday.

BAC
09-20-08, 01:36
:mad:Whats up with Rock River. My FFL placed an order for me for a Entry Tactical on May 15th.

That's almost exactly when I ordered uppers. Beat my by two weeks, looks like.

Waiting on three uppers and nobody's exactly thrilled with RRA right now. I grumbled when I was told 8-12 weeks on the phone (already a 4-8 week extension), but this is getting ridiculous. I coulda (shoulda) picked up a BCM upper in this time and had it in-hand. This was meant to be a budget build but honestly I'm not sure the time it's taken to get the upper, wherein the price of ammo just keep gradually creeping up, justifies the discounted price. :rolleyes:

-B

JDL Sales
09-20-08, 08:01
I have been using Stag and Spikes stripped uppers and lowers for my current builds. I also use Vltor uppers some tiimes. I get these parts in two days no problem. In fact CMT (Stag) makes the RRA lower . Rock River just takes orders and when they have enough to make a production run at CMT they have them manufactured that is why the wait.

C4IGrant
09-20-08, 08:44

No, but there are other options out there for the same money with NO WAITING!

C4

28_days
09-20-08, 11:39

Suck? No. But there are far better options for around the same price. BCM, LMT, CDD...look in those directions.

The owner of BCM is fairly active on the boards, as is the owner of CDD. That speaks volumes by itself.

Scapegoat
09-20-08, 12:19
Thank God I found "this" forum, I had initially ordered a RRA as well. In my case their horrible lead time worked in my favor. I was able to cancel my order and get a Charles Daly D-M4LE the next day. :D

KyAKGuy
09-20-08, 13:29
RRA is no longer the "deal" they were 4-5 years ago when they were the
"new guys" in the AR market. Their waits have always been long, but they are
bordering on the absurd right now. There are much better choices out there,
with shorter delivery timelines right now. Take advantage of the other
products out there that are better, close to the same cost, and without
the long wait.

KyAKGuy

d90king
09-20-08, 13:42
Not sure if this will speed up wait times on rifles or not but they have stopped building 1911's.

nickdrak
09-20-08, 14:23

I would have to say that while they are capable of building a quality rifle, far too often they allow a turd to come out of their factory. Their quality control sucks. Completely. For me, that would be the deciding factor for picking another brand over a RRA gun. I have seen far too many issues with RRA carbines to recommend them to anyone. Their dremeled extended feedramps at times look like they have been done by a chimp with a hacksaw, and this senseless pratice pretty much eliminates one of the beauties of the AR platform: serviceability. If you want to switch out your barrel for something that fits your specific needs or mission, or you shoot out the barrel and it needs to be replaced, you will probably need to change out the entire upper as there is NO "spec" to what they are doing with their dremeled extended feedramps. You will not find a barrel extension that will match up properly with the ramps that were dremeled into the receiver during their assembly process.

It makes zero sense why they dont just use real M4 receivers and barrel extensions.

Dualspringfields
09-20-08, 18:08
Damn had a woody and all to get one monday. Weapon store here has several of them in stock. I have a 16" DPMS right now and was looking to make that one like a back-up weapon. I like having a back-up. I guess I'll have to look at the other brands he has. I know I saw some Bushmasters there too. I think they are low on the chart too. Damn it Damn it Damn it! If i was to order a new upper from say someone like LMT. Would I need to go through a FFL?

Looking at this upper LMT http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=63&session=a7e36b7cfbdd465de9416e7ccd183a4e $871.90
Does it matter which carrier group I get? Is it worth the extra cash for the Enh S/A BCG? (S/A semi auto?)
Looking at his lower http://www.del-ton.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LR102&CartID=1 $365.00
Total $1236.90

STI2031
09-20-08, 18:46
I was able to cancel my RRA order. I then placed an order for a Noveske N4 Light Carbine Basic. I should have in hand in a couple weeks.

As I recall what first sent me in the direction of RRA was there ability to obtain a contract from the DEA and the ability to pass their torture test.

I still believe I would have stuck with my RRA purchase if it wasn't for the waiting period. I just couldn't wait anymore.

nickdrak
09-20-08, 20:19
I was able to cancel my RRA order. I then placed an order for a Noveske N4 Light Carbine Basic. I should have in hand in a couple weeks.

As I recall what first sent me in the direction of RRA was there ability to obtain a contract from the DEA and the ability to pass their torture test.

I still believe I would have stuck with my RRA purchase if it wasn't for the waiting period. I just couldn't wait anymore.

You are getting a far superior fighting rifle with the Noveske then you would have gotten from RRA. The RRA DEA contract is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. I have seen multiple department purchase order RRA carbines that were delivered in a non-functioning state due to defective FCG parts. This should have been screened out during the quality control check process, but some how they missed it.:eek:

nickdrak
09-20-08, 20:26
Looking at this upper LMT http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=63&session=a7e36b7cfbdd465de9416e7ccd183a4e $871.90
Does it matter which carrier group I get? Is it worth the extra cash for the Enh S/A BCG? (S/A semi auto?)
Looking at his lower http://www.del-ton.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LR102&CartID=1 $365.00
Total $1236.90

You can get a complete LMT rifle for less. Stick with the standard bolt carrier group. The "Enhanced BCG" doesnt offer any advantages over the standard BCG aside from non-standard parts;)

You can get a LMT M4 upper for $485.00
LMT Standard BCG for $130
LMT complete lower receiver with SOPMOD stock and standard trigger for around $485.00

Total: $1100.00

Dualspringfields
09-22-08, 17:19
Got a Stag for $941.00

variablebinary
09-23-08, 02:22
RRA doesnt suck, but a buyer can do better.

Go shopping for parts from Colt, LMT, Sabre and BCM and you can build a gun that is better than anything RRA puts out for either cheaper or about the same.

Or just buy Colt...