PDA

View Full Version : internet censorship up for vote Oct. 1?

rocsteady
09-28-16, 12:28
I am hearing so many different stories on this. Does anyone have a definitive answer on exactly what this means, if it's real, what it actually means to America and Americans? Who exactly will be in charge of "...the administration of changes to the DNS’s authoritative root zone file – the database containing the lists of names and addresses of all top-level domains – as well as managing the unique identifiers registries for domain names, IP addresses, and protocol parameters."

I guess I'm looking for the cliff notes as we're running out of time.

Averageman
09-28-16, 12:37
If it passes I will bid you all best wishes and to go with God.
Being that this place is full of common sense, been there done that advice and opinion and a mutual fondness shared by all of us for Firearms, well...
I shall see everyone of you Deplorable's again if not in this Life, in the Next.
The doors to this place will be slammed shut.

Outlander Systems
09-28-16, 12:40
See for yourself:

http://freebeacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Open-Letter-on-Internet-Security-92616.pdf

The IANA function is critical to our nation’s ability to effectively defend our national assets and
civilian population and ensure integrity in our cyberwarfare capabilities. As Congress has considered this
transfer of authority, it has stated that ICANN should ensure that .mil and .gov remain exclusive to DoD
and that all IP addresses assigned to DoD are used exclusively by the Government. That ignores the fact
that DoD is reliant upon private sector critical infrastructure for its operations, and the integrity and
security of the IP addresses associated with these assets are equally important to the protection of the
American people.

In the absence of U.S. Government involvement in IANA, it seems possible that, over time,
foreign powers – including potentially or actually hostile ones – will be able to influence the IANA
process. Even coercing the delay in approving IP addresses could impact military capabilities. From a
broader view, given the well-documented ambition of these actors to restrict freedom of expression and/or
entrepreneurial activity on the Internet, such a transfer of authority to ICANN could have far-reaching and
undesirable consequences for untold numbers of people worldwide.

Of more immediate concern to us, however, is the prospect that the United States might be
transferring to future adversaries a capability that could facilitate, particularly in time of conflict,
cyberwarfare against us. In the absence of NTIA’s stewardship, we would be unable to be certain about
the legitimacy of all IP addresses or whether they have been, in some form or fashion, manipulated, or
compromised. Given the reliance of the U.S. military and critical infrastructure on the Internet, we must
not allow it to be put needlessly at risk.

rocsteady
09-28-16, 12:43
Is there a vote or anything on this? Is it a (for as much good as they will actually do) contact your congressman/senator sort of thing?

titsonritz
09-28-16, 13:41
Coincidence?
Is September 30 really “D-Day for the U.S. Dollar” as Jim Rickards is Warning? (http://www.stockgumshoe.com/reviews/strategic-intelligence/is-september-30-really-d-day-for-the-u-s-dollar-as-jim-rickards-is-warning/)

wilson1911
09-28-16, 15:03
I've been keeping up with this for the last month off and on. I did not read the entire article. Senator Cruz has been trying to bring some light to the situation. From what I gathered, barry is going to give up US control of icann and ntia. While on the surface this may sound good. We get less us govt regulation and save the tax payers a few bucks.

What barry is not telling you is how the new agency will end up being controlled by the UN. Any rights you think you have will be discarded and replaced with UN regulations. The US constitution will no longer apply to the internet.

It will be moving to a global initiative. I will see if I can find some of the good articles.

https://newrepublic.com/article/117037/us-gives-iana-and-dns-control-icann

elephant
09-28-16, 23:30
the new agency will end up being controlled by the UN. Any rights you think you have will be discarded and replaced with UN regulations.

The UN, excuse me while I laugh. The UN in nothing more than 4 super powers contributing 90% of the funds it takes to get a bunch of 3rd world countries together in case of all out war. The fact that the UN contracts armies from broke and poorly equipped nations to help in remote shit holes around the world should tell you something. The UN was a good idea during the cold war but now having a hard time finding value to bring into the 21st century. The UN is slowly being replaced by the "group of twenty" (G20 summits) which is the top 20 powers in the world. Nobody including the US wants to take orders from some Korean named Ban Ki-moon who is the head of the UN. The G8 as well as the G20 were set up to bypass the UN so I wouldn't loose any sleep over the internet being controlled by the UN- it will never happen.

scooter22
09-28-16, 23:35
My understanding is that the UN will take control of the internutz.

Please correct me if this is inaccurate.

Moose-Knuckle
09-29-16, 01:05
Coincidence?
Is September 30 really “D-Day for the U.S. Dollar” as Jim Rickards is Warning? (http://www.stockgumshoe.com/reviews/strategic-intelligence/is-september-30-really-d-day-for-the-u-s-dollar-as-jim-rickards-is-warning/)

There is a massive bubble currently, when it bursts and we get the next "market correction" many that have PhDs in this sort of thing are saying that it will be worse than the stock market crash of '29. Sometime in 2017 we should see the reset button hit.

The Federal Reserve has not raised interest rates as this would only speed up the bubble's burst. IMHO they are waiting for the election, either they can cause the market to crash after a Trump win or cause it to crash and green light EOs/COG protocols that essentially suspend the elections and we get a "Constitutional Dictator".

elephant
09-29-16, 01:42
what bubble is that you speak of? Housing is doing well because people have access to money and that is about it.

Other than that, oil sucks, steel sucks, coal mining sucks, heavy equipment sales suck, aircraft sales suck, boat sales suck, luxury market big ticket items suck, lots of national retail companies are downsizing, filing bankruptcy or closing all together, a lot of technology product companies are having a hard time right now besides maybe Sony, Apple, Google and Samsung. HP, Dell, Microsoft, Cisco and IBM are having a tough time. They are laying off thousands. Peter built, Freightliner, John Deer, Link Belt, Bobcat, Caterpillar, Sports Authority, Sears, Bed Bath and Beyond, Conns, Jo Ann's, Macy's, Burger King, Wendy's, Abyss and like 500 other national stores are hurting. I heard Wall Mart was going to shut down like 288 stores nationwide, I heard Sears was going to shut down something like 120, Best Buy something like 100, Sports Authority I heard shutting down all. I keep hearing of a bubble but the US is not doing that great right now to begin with. The military isn't buying shit right now. The steel industry like Nucor, Arkansas Steel, Keystone steel, Gerdau Ameristeel, US steel are running at 40% throttle and that is 1 or 2 shifts. The oil industry like Ensco, Chevron, Exxon, Transocean, Diamond, Lewco, Rowan are running at 35% throttle. The open pit coal mines are running 1 shift a day. The price of gas needs to go back to $5/gallon before the US can pull out of this economic crisis. A customer of mine just scrapped an offshore oil rig that was completed in 2009 that $480 million. Its been sitting since 2013, go down to Pascagoula. Vicksburg, Galveston or Brownsville and you will literally see billions of dollars worth of rigs just sitting, waiting to be scrapped. Go drive past Nucor Hickman, Nucor Darlington, Nucor Yamato, Nucor Berkley, Nucor Jewitt, Gerdau in Virginia, and Texas, US Steel, Bethlehem steel, Arkansas steel, Joy Global etc. There lots are empty! They are not producing shit!

Coal Dragger
09-29-16, 10:35
Well our steel industry is being driven out of business. Between Chinese dumping of steel on the market, and our own EPA's carbon nonsense it's tough to make steel in the US anymore.

Soon we won't be able to produce our own raw materials. I figure that's when the Chinese will make their move. The only consolation for me us that all the liberal assholes who brought this on us live in coastal metro areas, so they can be the first to die in the invasion. I hope their deaths are slow and painful.

Dienekes
09-29-16, 13:45
Of all the things I don't know much about, the actual underpinnings of the internet are probably at the top of the list. But I do get the free speech and free flow of ideas part of it....

Without our "air supply" we're headed back to the 1930s , whether it's Feliks Dherzinsky's Cheka, the Volksjager Beobachter, the NYT's Walter Duranty, or Josh Earnest on speed. To repeat, I don't know much, but I do know I don't want anyone screwing around with my air hose just because they can. They sure as hell aren't my friends and I don't owe them a damned thing.

Think I'll go hug my books now.

While I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7T5YTgj6M

Doc Safari
09-29-16, 17:33
You know at its heart it's just another way Barack Hussein Obama is diminishing the power and influence of the United States of America.

The_War_Wagon
09-29-16, 21:50
You know at its heart it's just another way Barack Hussein Obama is diminishing the power and influence of the United States of America.

Yep...

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/icann_zpsxz0fjgmk.jpg

Firefly
09-29-16, 22:16
Lol. Obama is a punchline. You cant shut off the internet. Everything will just move to the deep web.

I for one miss the BBS days. Everything was more interesting and civil.

Outlander Systems
09-30-16, 08:11
BBS were what they were because the "internet" was for the computer savvy.

The introduction of the corporate internet and the proliferation of baby's first Fisher-Price surfing device (see also Smartphones), created the shitshow we have now.

When grandma's on the internet, it's "edginess" is gone. Toodles. Toast.

Lol. Obama is a punchline. You cant shut off the internet. Everything will just move to the deep web.

I for one miss the BBS days. Everything was more interesting and civil.

Doc Safari
09-30-16, 09:03
Will we all end up on the Dark Web where the child molesters and identity thieves go?

wildcard600
09-30-16, 09:19
Will we all end up on the Dark Web where the child molesters and identity thieves go?

Nah, I would bet that most would simply end up in the deep web with the other 96% of the content on the internet.