PDA

View Full Version : Remote Pilot License - 107 Test Prep, Information, Support

tb-av
09-28-16, 14:59
This thread is intended as a resource for those wishing to get a part 107 license to fly a drone commercially.

There will be links to some info and hopefully some pilots can help non-pilots with understanding charts, weather, air space, etc..

Here is the official FAA study guide. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

Here is the official FAA Pilot Handbook. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/pilot_handbook.pdf

Pilots need only pass with 100%* the online UAS exam and print the certificate then file it.
--- *I took the test as a Non-Pilot, and it allows me to go back and correct missed answers. Out of 35 questions I missed two. Then corrected one properly, and finally next try got the other one corrected for 100% and printed certificate. I do not know if a Pilot needs to get 100% on first try, or if they get options for correcting answers as well. Everyone has to get 100% though. This exam is simply good practice for a Non-Pilot. It will not get you your part 107 papers.

The part 107 test is taken at various testing centers for $150 and requires a 70% passing score from 60 questions. So 43 correct to pass. At $150 a shot I suppose that's a fair miss rate.

Here is a sample of the 100% exam you can take online. https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/uag_sample_exam.pdf

Here is the publication that contains the diagrams and information referenced in the exam. http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf

There was one question I got that is not in that practice test that goes something like the following.....

Which person can process an application for a part 107 certificate with a sUAS rating.
A. the remote pilot in command
B. a commercial balloon pilot
c. the designated pilot examiner

I didn't understand the question and none of the answers made sense to me. Now afterwards, if I simply read "Which person can process an application...." and just stop right there. Obviously a PIC can't or wouldn't need to. Nor would a Balloon pilot need to. The person that can "process an application" would obviously be a designated pilot examiner. They would process your application for your sUAS certificate.

That was the only question that I simply had no idea what they were getting at. The rest were rather easy. Except for some of the chart reading things. Others you also can use the process of elimination if you are not sure. Generally two of the choices don't make sense.

It looks like this is not that hard for Non-Pilots to do but I am still not clear as what would be on the actual 60 question part 107 test.
Reading charts and weather report data is must though.

Alex V
09-28-16, 15:51
This thread is intended as a resource for those wishing to get a part 107 license to fly a drone commercially.

There will be links to some info and hopefully some pilots can help non-pilots with understanding charts, weather, air space, etc..

Here is the official FAA study guide. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

Here is the official FAA Pilot Handbook. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/pilot_handbook.pdf

Pilots need only pass with 100%* the online UAS exam and print the certificate then file it.
--- *I took the test as a Non-Pilot, and it allows me to go back and correct missed answers. Out of 35 questions I missed two. Then corrected one properly, and finally next try got the other one corrected for 100% and printed certificate. I do not know if a Pilot needs to get 100% on first try, or if they get options for correcting answers as well. Everyone has to get 100% though. This exam is simply good practice for a Non-Pilot. It will not get you your part 107 papers.

The part 107 test is taken at various testing centers for $150 and requires a 70% passing score from 60 questions. So 43 correct to pass. At $150 a shot I suppose that's a fair miss rate.

Here is a sample of the 100% exam you can take online. https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/uag_sample_exam.pdf

Here is the publication that contains the diagrams and information referenced in the exam. http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf

There was one question I got that is not in that practice test that goes something like the following.....

Which person can process an application for a part 107 certificate with a sUAS rating.
A. the remote pilot in command
B. a commercial balloon pilot
c. the designated pilot examiner

I didn't understand the question and none of the answers made sense to me. Now afterwards, if I simply read "Which person can process an application...." and just stop right there. Obviously a PIC can't or wouldn't need to. Nor would a Balloon pilot need to. The person that can "process an application" would obviously be a designated pilot examiner. They would process your application for your sUAS certificate.

That was the only question that I simply had no idea what they were getting at. The rest were rather easy. Except for some of the chart reading things. Others you also can use the process of elimination if you are not sure. Generally two of the choices don't make sense.

It looks like this is not that hard for Non-Pilots to do but I am still not clear as what would be on the actual 60 question part 107 test.
Reading charts and weather report data is must though.

When I took my written in 2001 for my Pvt Pilot license a lot of the questions were not set up to have one right answer, they were set for you to choose the best answer. Seems like a lot of licensing exams are like that. My Architecture license exams were the same.

That's kinda messed up that I would have to get a 100% but I guess if I am allowed to fly a real plane, with people on board I sure as hell better be able to fly a drone.

Is there a flight exam or only a written one?

tb-av
09-28-16, 19:21
When I took my written in 2001 for my Pvt Pilot license a lot of the questions were not set up to have one right answer, they were set for you to choose the best answer. Seems like a lot of licensing exams are like that. My Architecture license exams were the same.

That's kinda messed up that I would have to get a 100% but I guess if I am allowed to fly a real plane, with people on board I sure as hell better be able to fly a drone.

Is there a flight exam or only a written one?

Two different exams / tests. I agree on the "best answer" type tests. I've taken quite a few as well. These exams don't seem to be that intense. IOW, they want you to know a certain thing. Whereas some fields the final decisions or possibilities may not have a perfect possible solution. Only an answer that covers the most ground so to speak. No flight exam. No practical operation skills tested. You can bet your ass that will change down the road. All the more reason I want one now.

Government licensing only gets more difficult as time passes.

The 100% EXAM - you can go online right now and take that for free. It's 35 questions. Like I said, I missed 2, but it instructed me to go back and select the correct answers, which I did. That is if you are already a Pilot OR a Non-Pilot that simply wants to practice/learn.

The TEST that costs $150 is 60 questions and you need 70% to pass. About 90% of the people that take it, also pass it.

Depending on your current status as a Pilot, you may only need the online EXAM. Otherwise you need the TEST which is done on a computer at a testing center.

nimdabew
09-28-16, 20:40
Do you mean to tell me all I have to do is to take an online test and I get another "qualification" on my certificate?

Hmac
09-28-16, 20:51
A pilot with a license under part 61 needs to take the online exam. He needs to be within his 24 month flight review period and the be signed off by a Designated Examiner or CFI. He/She can the print off their commercial drone certificate. I don't really have a pressing need for commercial certification, but since that's all that's involved for me I might as well just go ahead.

nimdabew
09-28-16, 23:07
Do you know if it is a separate certificate or if it is printed on my commercial certificate as well? I assume printed on the same one since it would be a commercial certificate for droneing and drone related activities.

tb-av
09-28-16, 23:19
Man if you guys have Pilots license, go for it. Last night I knew Zero, and worked my way through the online study guide then exam.... the web site is kinda funky. Like I said I got 94% the first go and I actually knew the answers to all but maybe 4. Two I guessed at. Two, I just flat out didn't know. Ended up I got two wrong. If you already know this stuff, you will get 100%.

The test I have to take now is a lot harder.

I just found this vid on airspace that cleared up a lot.... but I have a question if any of you know what's going on.

At about 17:00 he describes a tower and its in G space but I think some D space overhead... but that's not what is confusing me...

The chart shows a tower with 6182(320). So now I thought drones could not go over 400'. Above that space, above that tower is C space 102/75... Now he mis-speaks in his math and says 68xx when he meant 58xx, and I get that. But he says.... 'so you get hired to inspect the tower, and you can fly 400' over it'

So is the base of the tower at 6182 over sea level? Because he seems to add 320+6182=6502. So then add 400 = 6902 and that's still under the C space starting at 7500 but he figures you will get into C Space, which I can't understand. Earlier he actually subtracted the 320 from the 6182 = 5862 ( that's where he was mis-speaking and saying 68xx ).

But can anyone explain that to me? A. can you fly over 400' and B. Why would bump into C Space marked 102/75 for a 6182(320) tower, even if you fly your max 400' over it.

I just could not understand that part at all. All the rest makes perfect sense.

Does the Part 107 license allow you access to all the G Space? Even above 400'?

No Certificate = 400' and below. 107 Cert let's you have G Space?

I still don't get the tower deal as he described it though.

ETA: I've just watched this again and realize that the G space has dropped to 700' where that tower is. So why doesn't he just say... the tower is 320' tall. You have a 700' ceiling ( which I still don't get with a 400' limit ) so you only have 380' more space left? 320+380=700... I still don't it. I don't see an issue.

Again it's about the 17:00 - 19:00 minute mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRVyr2R5iU4

tb-av
09-28-16, 23:38
Do you know if it is a separate certificate or if it is printed on my commercial certificate as well? I assume printed on the same one since it would be a commercial certificate for droneing and drone related activities.

You get a certificate right then and there when you pass the exam and then you have to file it. Not sure how that gets added to or whatever. what I did gave me a certificate and a little one to carry with you. But I obviously didn't file it with anyone.

Hmac
09-29-16, 05:19
I asked my Anesthesiologist buddy, who is also my flight instructor. He hasn't certified anyone yet, but his understanding is that once he validates your identity and your online test score certificate that you print out, he approves you and sends it in. He can't issue a temporary certificate, you have to wait for that to come from the FAA or someone higher up the chain. IIUC, a Designated Examiner can issue a temporary certificate, so if you have one close by, that might be a better choice if you need the certificate in short order.

According to him, it's not a category rating, so it doesn't go on your pilot certificate

Here's the FAA blurb...https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/becoming_a_pilot/#existing

tb-av
09-29-16, 08:47
I remember reading there is a way to get the temp cert. I can't recall what is was... -- I think -- is was simply a matter of having that 35 question exam pass being emailed to you. I think that serves as your temp... again,,, IF you are already a Pilot up to date.

I know there is a way and it seemed very easy.

nimdabew
09-30-16, 09:58
Man if you guys have Pilots license, go for it. Last night I knew Zero, and worked my way through the online study guide then exam.... the web site is kinda funky. Like I said I got 94% the first go and I actually knew the answers to all but maybe 4. Two I guessed at. Two, I just flat out didn't know. Ended up I got two wrong. If you already know this stuff, you will get 100%.

The test I have to take now is a lot harder.

I just found this vid on airspace that cleared up a lot.... but I have a question if any of you know what's going on.

At about 17:00 he describes a tower and its in G space but I think some D space overhead... but that's not what is confusing me...

The chart shows a tower with 6182(320). So now I thought drones could not go over 400'. Above that space, above that tower is C space 102/75... Now he mis-speaks in his math and says 68xx when he meant 58xx, and I get that. But he says.... 'so you get hired to inspect the tower, and you can fly 400' over it'

So is the base of the tower at 6182 over sea level? Because he seems to add 320+6182=6502. So then add 400 = 6902 and that's still under the C space starting at 7500 but he figures you will get into C Space, which I can't understand. Earlier he actually subtracted the 320 from the 6182 = 5862 ( that's where he was mis-speaking and saying 68xx ).

But can anyone explain that to me? A. can you fly over 400' and B. Why would bump into C Space marked 102/75 for a 6182(320) tower, even if you fly your max 400' over it.

I just could not understand that part at all. All the rest makes perfect sense.

Does the Part 107 license allow you access to all the G Space? Even above 400'?

No Certificate = 400' and below. 107 Cert let's you have G Space?

I still don't get the tower deal as he described it though.

ETA: I've just watched this again and realize that the G space has dropped to 700' where that tower is. So why doesn't he just say... the tower is 320' tall. You have a 700' ceiling ( which I still don't get with a 400' limit ) so you only have 380' more space left? 320+380=700... I still don't it. I don't see an issue.

Again it's about the 17:00 - 19:00 minute mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRVyr2R5iU4

The top of the tower is 6182 MLS, or 320 feet AGL. The base of the class C is 7500 MLS, top 10200 MSL so you would be sandwiched between the 400' AGL limitation, the base of the tower at 58xx, and the base of the class C at 7500.

As far as class G, it is everywhere that there is no other airspace basically. It either starts at 700' or 1200' depending on different factors. I would need to sit down with a sectional with you to point out the differences. $60/hr :D

Hmac
09-30-16, 10:26
I remember reading there is a way to get the temp cert. I can't recall what is was... -- I think -- is was simply a matter of having that 35 question exam pass being emailed to you. I think that serves as your temp... again,,, IF you are already a Pilot up to date.

I know there is a way and it seemed very easy.

If you take your test and bring the test score with application form to a Flight Standards District Office (FSDO, an FAA-designated pilot examiner (DPE), an airman certification representative (ACR)...they can issue you a temporary certificate on the spot. A CFI can't, he can only approve it and send it up the chain somewhere so they can mail you a certificate.

DirectTo
09-30-16, 11:46
Can a CFI do it online via IACRA? That would be worth trading training/IACRA out with a buddy just for kicks. More plastic is always good.

tb-av
09-30-16, 12:34
The top of the tower is 6182 MLS, or 320 feet AGL. The base of the class C is 7500 MLS, top 10200 MSL so you would be sandwiched between the 400' AGL limitation, the base of the tower at 58xx, and the base of the class C at 7500.

As far as class G, it is everywhere that there is no other airspace basically. It either starts at 700' or 1200' depending on different factors. I would need to sit down with a sectional with you to point out the differences. $60/hr :D

Ok, I think I found my answer.....

Maximum altitude of 400 feet above ground level (AGL) or, if
higher than 400 feet AGL, remain within 400 feet of a
structure.

So the structure was at 6182. Now if you are hired to inspect it you can be 400' from it's top or 6582.... But in that example the Class C started at 7500. So I still don't see why you couldn't inspect that tower as long as you stayed below 700' AGL which is top of Class G. 320' tower + 400' above that which you wouldn't need all of. So you would be at 720' AGL or 20' above your limit. So you just stay say a 100' or so above the tower.... and you would be under the 700' G roof and under the 7500' C roof.

I just listened to his vid again. He is mis-speaking in a couple parts. First he says 6218(320) both represent top of tower. Which is correct. Then he says ... let's figure where the top is and says it's 6182+320=6502... that's not right. But then he goes back to AGL of tower at 320 and adds 400' of allowable flying space and says not you have an issue... 320+400=720 and if you go that high you enter E Space after 700'. That, is right as far as I understand it all. I think he just got mixed up in explaining it and the numbers but the final message was ... you need to look at all the numbers to see if you might enter another airspace above you if you try to fly over a tall object. That I get.

So for a typical sUAS pilot in G space of 700' or 1200', that's really what you need to be worried about. If you fly over a tall building or what ever, that 400' above it could cause you issues depending on other airspace present. If you had a 699' tall building in G space, you can't fly over it in 700' G space, but could in 1200' G space.

Here is an interesting rule........

Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons
not directly participating in the operation, not under a
covered structure, and not inside a covered stationary
vehicle

Half the vids on YT are under covered structures. Abandoned warehouses, picnic areas, I'd imagine someone has flown through a covered bridge. So you can't inspect a tunnel, mine, barn, warehouse? That makes no sense. That's one of the commercial purposes they are good for.

tb-av
09-30-16, 12:39
Can a CFI do it online via IACRA? That would be worth trading training/IACRA out with a buddy just for kicks. More plastic is always good.

Here is everything you need to do....
http://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/becoming_a_pilot/#existing

It would take you 2 hours online, then just wait for them to send your cert back after you file it.

DirectTo
09-30-16, 21:02
Here is everything you need to do....
http://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/becoming_a_pilot/#existing

It would take you 2 hours online, then just wait for them to send your cert back after you file it.
Thanks tb. I'll knock it out.