PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a quality Receiver Extension?

D_M
09-29-16, 07:35
With the release of Magpul's new Receiver Extensions and the amount of praise the VLTOR A5 system has been given, I've taken a little more time to research receiver extensions, buffer weights, and springs. I'm not particularly looking to compare/contrast Carbine vs. Rifle vs. A5; Rather, I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking for when choosing a receiver extension. What separates a BCM, DD, Magpul, and other high quality brand parts from the typical "Mil-Spec Buffer Tube?"

For example, I've read people mentioning the Magpul RE's are smooth, which may get rid of the twangy spring noise.

stwings
09-29-16, 10:52
My advice would be to make sure you get a mil-spec RE made from T7075.

HeruMew
09-29-16, 11:03
Honestly, a lot of it is about features and durability.

Look at it this way, like STWINGS claims, if it's made to mil-spec dimensions and from T7075, you're looking for quality machining and durability anything extra is just icing on the cinnamon role.

For example:
You have "Stock Position" options.

You can get a BCM that has 6, a VLTOR (some) have 5, the Magpuls I believe go up to 8.

What does this translate to?

Length of Pull. More options, gets you closer to your preferred LOP. I would assume any of the name brand companies are going to be durable, and due to the mil-spec requirements, unless they use different materials the metals should all be the same "durability". Coatings and corrosion resistance are another factor, but that's getting very nitpicky.

But, to sum it up, just make sure to go with a reputable supplier and manufacturer. If they have the position options you like, and the coating you prefer, go with what speaks to you.

The harder part, usually, is deciding whether you want Mil-Spec, the A5, or a Rifle setup.

D_M
09-29-16, 19:33
Honestly, a lot of it is about features and durability.

Look at it this way, like STWINGS claims, if it's made to mil-spec dimensions and from T7075, you're looking for quality machining and durability anything extra is just icing on the cinnamon role.

For example:
You have "Stock Position" options.

You can get a BCM that has 6, a VLTOR (some) have 5, the Magpuls I believe go up to 8.

What does this translate to?

Length of Pull. More options, gets you closer to your preferred LOP. I would assume any of the name brand companies are going to be durable, and due to the mil-spec requirements, unless they use different materials the metals should all be the same "durability". Coatings and corrosion resistance are another factor, but that's getting very nitpicky.

But, to sum it up, just make sure to go with a reputable supplier and manufacturer. If they have the position options you like, and the coating you prefer, go with what speaks to you.

The harder part, usually, is deciding whether you want Mil-Spec, the A5, or a Rifle setup.

Thanks for the detailed response! You answered a few questions I was thinking up. Mainly the mil-spec dimensions and material.

lysander
09-29-16, 19:50
I hate to say it, but: who makes it...

You cannot really tell the difference between 6061 and 7075, especially if they are both extruded. You have to go by what the maker/seller says and how much you believe them.

Oh, and it's 7075-T6 or 7075-T651, and 6065-T6 or 6061-T651. The "T" stands for the temper, or how the aluminum was hardened. T-6 means it was solution heat-treated and artificially aged, the extra "51" means it was stress relieved by stretching, and usually applies only to extrusions.

markm
09-29-16, 20:02
You cannot really tell the difference between 6061 and 7075, especially if they are both extruded.

True. I couldn't tell if you handed me two unmarked REs. But getting a 7075 is critical for any serious use gun. I always say what would happen if you fell climbing an obstacle or were in a car crash with a cheap RE? If you're RE fails, your gun is done.

lysander
09-29-16, 20:11
True. I couldn't tell if you handed me two unmarked REs. But getting a 7075 is critical for any serious use gun. I always say what would happen if you fell climbing an obstacle or were in a car crash with a cheap RE? If you're RE fails, your gun is done.
No, you misunderstood the statement...you need to read the paragraph in its entirety.

You cannot really tell the difference between 6061 and 7075, especially if they are both extruded. You have to go by what the maker/seller says and how much you believe them.

I mean just looking at the extension, you cannot tell if it is one alloy or another. In fact, you really have to destroy the part, or at least damage it, to tell what alloy it is made from.

The relative strength of 7075 vs 6061 is another debate not really pertinent to the OP.

SomeOtherGuy
09-29-16, 21:02
What Lysander said. Fortunately the RE is not an expensive part and currently is readily available. Choose one of the reputable top brands (Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, VLTOR, Magpul) in the length you want and be done with it.

markm
09-29-16, 21:24
No, you misunderstood the statement...you need to read the paragraph in its entirety.

Nah.. I get what you're saying. I didn't mean to imply that you thought there was no difference.... I agree... on the surface, you can't tell much, but the difference is real.

Clint
09-29-16, 21:33
Look for an impact extruded 7075 RE tube with dry film lube from a quality vendor.

darkwater1967
09-30-16, 00:43
FYI, from all my research, Colt is the only manufacturer that makes rifle-length RE tubes with 7075, if you ever go that route.

HeruMew
09-30-16, 08:54
I hate to say it, but: who makes it...

Oh, and it's 7075-T6 or 7075-T651, and 6065-T6 or 6061-T651. The "T" stands for the temper, or how the aluminum was hardened. T-6 means it was solution heat-treated and artificially aged, the extra "51" means it was stress relieved by stretching, and usually applies only to extrusions.

Thanks for the extra insight to the metallurgy behind it all.

I can certainly concur that we are at the whim of the manufacturer to being honest; otherwise we may never know the difference without putting the product in an irreparable/non-working state.

Thanks for the extra knowledge and a good point.

RHINOWSO
10-01-16, 08:59
I prefer LMT when they can be found.

readyfireaim
10-01-16, 14:03
i recently inquired about iraqgunz thread on the new magpul re, and the response i got from him was i couldnt lose going with magpul,bcm or vltor re. as much as i want to trust his ability to not steer me wrong [he is,after all, a very respected fellow here] the pessimistic side of me wants to investigate further to find out the subtle differences each re offers. for anyone who will question that statement, let me explain further. i trust ig, hands down, hes btdt. if he says there all the same or extremely similair i have no problem taking him at his word.but, then again,i tend to question which direction the sun comes up each morning. i would like to hear some comparison reviews between all 3 and what re has this or that extra doodad that xyz company doesnt offer. i try to be an informed consumer