PDA

View Full Version : When it comes to "plastic" holster?

Giggles
09-29-16, 22:03
When it comes to "plastic" holsters like those made of kydex, whats melting point of the top manufactures. I was just wonderng cause I know a few companies use boltoran. Im just comparing apples to oranges.

tab0013
10-05-16, 19:39
MSDS states the flash point is 735 degrees Fahrenheit and temps above 425 degrees Fahrenheit should be avoided. There is no melting point given if you are melting your holster then there are more pressing issues to deal with. If you are just worried about it deforming in a hot car then get one that's made out of .093 kydex and you won't have any issues.

MegademiC
10-05-16, 20:37
Kydex gets soft and deform well before it's melting point, so the number may mislead you. Most formulations of kydex become maliable around 300F according to the internet.

sevenhelmet
10-05-16, 20:49
I have heard stories of kydex holsters deforming to the point of not fitting well if left in a trunk or sitting in a car in full sunlight in the summer.

That said, I'm still a big fan of kydex and the kydex/leather combos, like the ones Crossbreed makes.

Campbell
10-05-16, 21:23
Kydex gets soft and deform well before it's melting point, so the number may mislead you. Most formulations of kydex become maliable around 300F according to the internet.

This has been my experience, with some getting soft even sooner....

HeruMew
10-06-16, 10:14
I purchased a Walther P99 holster, on the cheap, on Ebay. It was the .80 kydex.

After trying to fit a Canik TP9 in it, without it fitting very well, I threw it on the dash of my car parked outside for a couple hours.

Came back to it and could have molded it into a sculpture for how soft it was, i slipped the Canik in, using a couple pieces of foam and a sheet of ply wood, I reset the form of the kydex to match the canik better

They were already very close, after that, it fit perfect. It was cool enough to stop being malleable by the time I took it out of the press board, which was 2-3 minutes.

Long story short: Not all kydex is created equal, but make sure to buy to your use. An IWB, even a cheapy, should never get about 150 degrees on your side. If so, wowza, working hard on the road crews/construction is all I can imagine.