PDA

View Full Version : AR's chambered in 40 a good choice??

C4IGrant
10-14-06, 09:03
I was reading another board when I found this below post. To think that a dept. would ditch their M16's in favor of some bastardized .40 AR just blows my mind!

C4

My department is looking at purchasing a couple .40 cal uppers to place on our m-16 A1s. Does anybody know if these will run properly and reliably? I thought I remembered hearing they will not run real well.
Thanks for any advise.

USMC03
10-14-06, 09:58
Grant,

Most of the time, people in charge of ordering gear are not even cops. Most of the time it's a purchasing agent who works for the city / county / state (ie. it's not a cop, it's a bean counter).

Most purchasing agents look at gear from a logistical stand point, not what will best serve the Officer on the beat.

From a gun guy's standpoint getting a AR in .40 S&W makes no sense. From a bean counters standpoint, getting an AR15 in the same caliber as the department's pistol is a dream come true. The bean counter will now only have to send out one bid for ammo and that ammo will feed both pistols and rifles. Makes his job much easier for the bean counter, even if it's at the expense of the Officers using that gear.

More often than not, the guys using the gear have no say so in what gear they use. A lot of our guys bitch that we have to supply our own gear (over 200 sworn Officers)......for me, I don't like having to pay for my gear out of pocket, but the nice thing is that I get to select the gear that is right for *me*. Having to supply your own gear can often be a blessing in disguise.

C4IGrant
10-14-06, 11:05
Grant,

Most of the time, people in charge of ordering gear are not even cops. Most of the time it's a purchasing agent who works for the city / county / state (ie. it's not a cop, it's a bean counter).

Most purchasing agents look at gear from a logistical stand point, not what will best serve the Officer on the beat.

From a gun guy's standpoint getting a AR in .40 S&W makes no sense. From a bean counters standpoint, getting an AR15 in the same caliber as the department's pistol is a dream come true. The bean counter will now only have to send out one bid for ammo and that ammo will feed both pistols and rifles. Makes his job much easier for the bean counter, even if it's at the expense of the Officers using that gear.

More often than not, the guys using the gear have no say so in what gear they use. A lot of our guys bitch that we have to supply our own gear (over 200 sworn Officers)......for me, I don't like having to pay for my gear out of pocket, but the nice thing is that I get to select the gear that is right for *me*. Having to supply your own gear can often be a blessing in disguise.

Oh, I understand how the game is played. It just blows my mind that the CLEO or someone isn't just about standing on their heads when an idea like this is presented.

The local Sheriff was in the shop last week. He told me that they get to carry whatever pistol they want (Glock, Sig, 1911, etc) and they can carry an AR15 in just about any config as well! I told them that they have it really good and they should be buying rounds for CLEO!

C4

ArchAngel
10-14-06, 14:01
A lot of administrators fear the 5.56 round because they don't understand.

Liability is all some of them think about.

I agree it doesn't make any sense at all.

Patrick Aherne
10-14-06, 18:21
You average Chief or Sheriff has about as much knowledge about firearms as the folks who post in General Discussion in the board that shall not be named. The "knowledgeable" ones get their info from gun rags. Or, perhaps they got their information on the penetration risks of 5.56 from the latest episode of CSI Miami.

There is another factor invovled, as well, because many LE firearms instructors are just as susceptible to the CDI factor of new stuff. What cop doesn't know of a department that switched from 9 to .40 not because the 9mms wore out, but because everybody was going to .40 so they had to also?

In truth, gear and even ammo selection is far less important, as long as it is serviceable, than the amount of time and effort a department puts into a training program.

I happen to work for a department that provides us AR pattern rifles with optics, lights and single-point slings. The issue pistol is an HK USP .45 with UTL MkII. We have LL 870s and Taser X26s available to each officer. The only downside is that we can't carry anything but department owned and issued pistols.

It would be nice if their was a happy medium; guns are just tools. Do we make every carpenter on a jobsite carry the same hammer?

K.L. Davis
10-14-06, 18:39
Grant... not for nothing, but my experience is that a lot of posts that start with "My Department/Unit/Team" are the firearms forum equivilant to a conversation with a doctor or lawyer that starts with "This guy I know..." or "A friend of mine's uncle..." :rolleyes:

-Wes-
10-15-06, 00:38
Who even makes a .40 upper? Olympic? Yuck.

I can see why though. Especially the Glock mag lower. "They can use the same mags for their G-22, G-27 backup, and Carbine.

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 11:11
Who even makes a .40 upper? Olympic? Yuck.

I can see why though. Especially the Glock mag lower. "They can use the same mags for their G-22, G-27 backup, and Carbine.

Yep, Oly is the only one that I am aware of (yuck is right).

C4

Voodoochild
10-15-06, 13:13
I believe RRA has plans of doing a .40 Cal Carbine. Along with some other things.