PDA

View Full Version : What is the 124 gr 9 mm bullet equivalent of Hornady 55 gr FMJ (logistically)

w3453l
09-30-16, 20:46
Hi everyone, the title may be a little unclear so just read on.

I have been stocking up reloading components for the past year. My goal for reloading is simply to be able to shoot despite ammo shortages and legislation. I'm not so concerned about making match grade ammo. I just want to continue to train with my 9 mm and 5.56 caliber guns.

I've researched what components people were buying for this type of ammo. What I have come to is:

.223/5.56

Powder: H335
Primers: CCI #41
Bullets: Hornady 55 gr FMJ
Brass is mix of once fired LC, PPU, Wolf Gold

9 mm

Powder: Alliant BE-86
Primers: CCI #500 Small Pistol
Bullets: ?
Brass is mix of once fired Speer Lawman, Fiochi, Geco

What's a good bullet that people are using for reloading bulk 9 mm? I don't need the highest end/most expensive match bullets. I want something that will work well, and still be economical to buy.

Ideally I want 124 gr. Reading online I see Xtreme bullets getting mentioned often. Are these good to go? Are there any other good alternatives?

All advice and recommendations are welcome.

Thanks

wahoo95
09-30-16, 20:57
I use Bayou Bullets Hi-Tek coated bullets

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Chubbs103
09-30-16, 21:47
For jacketed, I like Zero bullets. Sometimes they can be hard to find in stock. I have also heard good things about Montana Gold, but they are a little more expensive.

Chubbs

twm134
10-01-16, 14:45
These have worked well for me and are on sale:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/943564/berrys-bullets-9mm-356-diameter-124-grain-plated-round-nose-box-of-1000

gaijin
10-01-16, 16:03
Accuracy from plated bullets has always been poor for me.
As stated, Bayou bullets are reasonably accurate and economical.
I've had good look with Blue Bullets as well (also coated).

My preferred 124 gr. 9 mm "range load" bullet is either Zero or Precision Delta JHP.
PD is usually easier to locate and a bit cheaper than Zero in quantity.

TomMcC
10-01-16, 18:59
Another Bayou loader here. I don't see the point of using jacket bullets for 3gun, plinking, or other practice. With coated lead your barrel will basically last forever.

Alphasig
10-01-16, 19:37
I'm a berry guy. Power valley has 124gr for 78.72.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T2C
10-02-16, 05:37
The Berry's 124g bullets are OK. With a wide range of powders and shooting them through several different pistols, sub 4" groups at 25 yards are the norm. I've fired 2-1/2" groups with them at 25 yards with my 1911.

For match performance I load a 125g Hornady HAP with CFE pistol powder and sorted cases.

Tigereye
10-02-16, 07:58
I shoot Bayou or Black Bullets International coated bullets.

MegademiC
10-02-16, 09:59
The Berry's 124g bullets are OK. With a wide range of powders and shooting them through several different pistols, sub 4" groups at 25 yards are the norm. I've fired 2-1/2" groups with them at 25 yards with my 1911.

For match performance I load a 125g Hornady HAP with CFE pistol powder and sorted cases.

Interesting. I didn't think bullets would make that much of an accuracy difference at 25 yards. I may have to try some different bullets now.

Well, since they group poorly and are cheap, I'd say berrys/plated bullets would fit the 55gr fmj analogy quite well.

chamber143
10-02-16, 16:21
I did the same thing a couple of years ago. I shoot 124 gold dots for SD/HD so I went with Montana gold 124 and couldn't be happier. I use 4.2 gr titegroup and they are within +- 10 fps of the gold dots. I've always believed in trying to shoot stuff that mimics as much as possible what u use in SD/HD and this does for me.

jbdesigns
10-02-16, 16:59
I use Bayou Bullets Hi-Tek coated bullets

+1
The 124 grain truncated nose is very economical and shoots very well. My hand loads are far away more accurate than typical 115gr fmj which is the cheapest factory. So my loads cost less and shoot better. I also run them a bit milder since I'm just target practicing with the wife.

For more accuracy and cost, 115gr hor XTP bullets. They have been my most accurate hand load. And they would work as SD too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twm134
10-02-16, 19:10
I've used coated cast bullets out of revolvers but I haven't gotten around to trying them out of Glock's polygonal barrels. Anyone have experience using them with the Glock factory barrel? The polygonal rifling is the reason I started using plated bullets.

wahoo95
10-02-16, 20:26
I've used coated cast bullets out of revolvers but I haven't gotten around to trying them out of Glock's polygonal barrels. Anyone have experience using them with the Glock factory barrel? The polygonal rifling is the reason I started using plated bullets.
The coated bullets are a better option than plated. The coated won't chip off and they leave no residue in the barrel. You can also push them much faster than plated if you wanted to.

T2C
10-02-16, 20:59
The coated bullets are a better option than plated. The coated won't chip off and they leave no residue in the barrel. You can also push them much faster than plated if you wanted to.

How fast do you push the bullets? What kind of accuracy are you seeing?

wahoo95
10-02-16, 21:15
You can push them past 2000fps so they stand up perfectly fine in pistol cal loads which don't even come close.

Accuracy has been comparable to plated or cast lead

twm134
10-02-16, 21:38
Has this been in a factory glock barrel? This is the specific application for my use. I have not had any problems with plated bullets in 9mm for training loads and velocity is not an issue with 124gr and 147 gr loads. I have been able to get ten shot 3" groups at 25yards and that is sufficient for my training purposes. I am asking just so I have some knowledge for other options in case availability is limited in the future and also to try to save some money.

You can push them past 2000fps so they stand up perfectly fine in pistol cal loads which don't even come close.

Accuracy has been comparable to plated or cast lead

wahoo95
10-02-16, 21:58
Has this been in a factory glock barrel? This is the specific application for my use. I have not had any problems with plated bullets in 9mm for training loads and velocity is not an issue with 124gr and 147 gr loads. I have been able to get ten shot 3" groups at 25yards and that is sufficient for my training purposes. I am asking just so I have some knowledge for other options in case availability is limited in the future and also to try to save some money.
Yes, a quick Google search will show you how popular Hi Tek and Polymer coated bullets are. This isn't really new and is in wide use by competitive shooters in all types of barrels.

twm134
10-02-16, 22:48
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it and try some in the future.

T2C
10-03-16, 08:45
Yes, a quick Google search will show you how popular Hi Tek and Polymer coated bullets are. This isn't really new and is in wide use by competitive shooters in all types of barrels.

I've fired thousands of SNS Casting bullets with the Hi Tek coating. http://www.snscasting.com/ They are more cost effective than a quality FMJ bullet. They are reasonably accurate for most purposes unless you are trying to shoot a sub 2" group at 50 yards at a PPC match.

w3453l
10-03-16, 21:08
Thanks for all replies everyone.

I will take a look at the Hi-tek coated bullets as well as the others.

What exactly do I need to know about the truncated vs round nose? Both are the same price.

I'm also assuming I'll be good to go with putting any of these thru HK P2000, VP9, and Beretta 92?

I saw tom's post above asking about the Glock barrel which got me thinking as I thought there shouldn't be a problem shooting any bullet thru any factory barrel.

The Beretta is a 92G-SD, which has a stainless barrel if that makes any difference.

Lastly, I was considering picking up some XTP bullets. While I plan to buy factory SD ammo, in a pinch, would the XTP's be good to go for SD ammo?

I know any bullet is better than none, but is it worth the $0.18/bullet for the XTP's for the purpose of loading a couple hundred defensive rounds?

wahoo95
10-03-16, 21:31
Truncated nose has a JHP profile and makes a nicer cut in paper targets.

XTP bullets are widely available for loading and are suitable though I've never found their expansion to be anything close to the more modern designs. They are quite accurate though. Gold Dots and HST can also be found on occasion, though they are pull downs.

TomMcC
10-04-16, 10:43

The coated bullets work just fine in Glock barrels. I've shot thousands through a Glock 34 with zero leading. I wouldn't shoot moly bullets through a stock Glock. Others have stated it worked, but I almost blew up a 23 with molys. Bayou/Hi-tek works very well poly barrels. RN/Truncated....it personal preference. I use RN for maximun reliability, at least that's my rationalization.