PDA

View Full Version : If you were limited to only ONE auto round, what caliber would you choose and why?

RogerinTPA
09-08-08, 22:51
Which would you choose and why?

DocGKR
09-09-08, 02:29
.40 S&W offers a good balance--plus what's not to like about 15 rounds of 180 gr JHP's in your mag?

Army Chief
09-09-08, 06:11
Tough question to answer, since much will depend upon individual priorities.

Some will stress ballistic performance (i.e. 10mm or .40 S&W).

Some will identify with proven combinations which work well (i.e. 1911 & .45 ACP).

Others will be more concerned with availability -- not just regionally, but around the globe.

None will really be wrong.

I guess I have to ask whether we're talking about a here-and-now situation, or a potential SHTF scenario. The disparity between the two would seem to rule out any one answer which addresses all possible variables.

Since I'm living abroad and doing most of my work abroad, the only argument that makes any sense in my situation is to favor the 9x19mm NATO loading, even though it clearly is a round of limited potential. It is obtainable anywhere, and with careful shot placement is still likely to get the job done. This isn't my favorite catridge by any means, but it will always be available -- and if we're talking about a post-catasrophe or post-anarchy survival scenario, availability will quickly become the most relevant concern of all.

In the U.S.A.? .45 or .40

Around the world? 9mm

Logic-be-d@mned? .50 GI ;)

Chief

alistaire
09-09-08, 06:44
I'd have to get a class 3 Thompson.

Intimidation Factor for Thompson with 50rd drum: 100
Intimidation Factor anything else: 10

A Thompson can even kill Borg.

topraider
09-09-08, 06:45
I love the 45 and that's my backup to the carbine, but if I was limited to just one firearm and that being a pistol, I would have to go with my G17 9X19.
Reason: High capacity, 17 and 31 rd mags loaded with Ranger T's.

ToddG
09-09-08, 08:22
9mm for me: most inexpensive "combat" caliber means more practice; fastest shot recovery; proven effectiveness with proper ammo.

markm
09-09-08, 08:42
I'm in agreement with Doc. My reason is that I just can't seem to fall in love with 9mm parabellum. I own, shoot, and reload them. But it has never impressed me.

d90king
09-09-08, 10:03
As a 1911 guy the .45 is it for me. There is something to be said for capacity though.

Failure2Stop
09-09-08, 10:09
9x19.
Low recoil, fast and accurate multiple shots, comparatively high capacity in similarly sized guns, decent performance with high quality JHPs.

Sometimes quantity has a quality all of its own.

If I was limited to ball ammo I would have to vote for the .45 ACP though.

KintlaLake
09-09-08, 11:52
Although "handgun" may be implicit because of the other rounds listed, I'm gonna be contrarian and say .22LR. :)

Otherwise, 9x19.

MarshallDodge
09-09-08, 11:54
I voted 45 because I am a 1911 guy but 40 would not be a bad choice either.

m4fun
09-09-08, 15:12
9mm - availability, large capacity mags and ability to carry a lot. Simple to reload with not too much powder, etc, etc.

In the right hands, +P+, being accurate and well placed shots, what cant you love.

Detmongo
09-09-08, 16:30
9x19 i get it free:D

ToddG
09-09-08, 17:42
9x19 i get it free:D

Have I told you lately how brilliant and handsome you are? :cool:

Damascus
09-09-08, 17:54
I voted for the .45... =I was just thinking... "If that was the only pistol I could ever have for the rest of my life - maybe in an "end of the world" type scenario..." We could be driven to scavenge for food, and of course, hunt. I've seen many deer killed with a 5" 1911 .45, and I have killed one. Only made it about 30 feet after taking the 230gr. Barnes hard in the vitals... not to say you couldn't take a deer with a 9, but I'd much rather have knockdown power for this scenario.
My close second choice would be the 9x19.. from all the human wounds I have seen, the 9 is as good, and sometimes even performs better than the .40S&W... I'm not a .40 fan.
If the 10mm Auto was listed, that would be my pick - I love 10's :D

RogerinTPA
09-09-08, 21:30
I really enjoy shooting the 9mm, .40 and .45, shooting the .40 the most. BUT, for one type of round, I would have to go with the ubiquitous 9mm. To echo what others have said, it's cheap, high cap, found world wide, good stopping power with good ammo, easier to control, faster follow up shots and easy to train all family members from children to the elderly, to shoot well.

Detmongo
09-10-08, 08:02
don't hate Todd, don't hate:D

decodeddiesel
09-11-08, 09:46
While I love my .45 1911, if it came down to one cartridge and pistol choice I would have to pick my Walther P99, ie the thinking man's G19 ;). 15+1 rounds, small frame so I can conceal it easily, accurate as hell (I can ping 12"x12" plates at 100 yards with ease), and absolutely 100% reliable with everything I have put through it. When loaded with 16 shots of 147gr HP it is a hard combination to beat.

adh
09-11-08, 12:16
assuming this is for handgun only 9mm......it's the most readily available round I've ever seen. I love the .45 but have been to numerous places that did not have it/have it in stock but did have 9mm

Tungsten
09-11-08, 12:19
I'm interpreting the question as one caliber for both handgun and rifle. That's why I voted 9mm.

It's available everywhere
Can be chambered in both handgun and carbine
Cheap to shoot

skyugo
09-14-08, 12:24
9mm for me: most inexpensive "combat" caliber means more practice; fastest shot recovery; proven effectiveness with proper ammo.

that's my logic lately...

all pistol rounds are pretty anemic.. the more well placed shots you can get off, the better your odds are of walking away.

Redsel
09-14-08, 13:32
.40 S&W offers a good balance--plus what's not to like about 15 rounds of 180 gr JHP's in your mag?

A +2 Round advantage and a cartridge that delivers the almost near ballistics as .40 with half the snap!

Voted 9mm. Word.

bgoode
09-15-08, 08:29
I voted .45 simply because thast what my prefered platform was designed around. I simply am more accurate with it hense I like it better.

I enjoy seeing what other guys are into and handguns are ALWAYS fun to debate!

Now make a single stack glock - with a different grip angle and I'd be singing a different story possably:p:D

POF.Ops
09-17-08, 00:22
No question 9x19. Spray and pray is my motto and a full mag + 2 more = 57 rounds down range. That is some serious firepower.

Damascus
09-17-08, 14:11
Don't mean to be a smart-ass, I just am the opposite of "spray and pray"... all that firepower don't do you a bit of good if none of the rounds hits their target ;).
Might be good for making them keep their heads down, but it won't stop a fight.
I'd rather take aimed, well-placed shots with a "man-stopper" such as a .45ACP, 10mm Auto, .357 Magnum, etc.
Just my 2 cents, no offense intended :)

MarshallDodge
09-17-08, 14:17
Don't mean to be a smart-ass, I just am the opposite of "spray and pray"... all that firepower don't do you a bit of good if none of the rounds hits their target ;).
Might be good for making them keep their heads down, but it won't stop a fight.
I'd rather take aimed, well-placed shots with a "man-stopper" such as a .45ACP, 10mm Auto, .357 Magnum, etc.
Just my 2 cents, no offense intended :)
I agree and didn't find anything about your response as being an SA. Very logical as a matter of fact. If you can't hit the target then don't squeeze the trigger.

The "spray and pray" mentality is irresponsible and will have collateral damage that you will have to pay for in dollars and/or jail time.

LOKNLOD
09-17-08, 14:41
No question 9x19...57 rounds down range. That is some serious firepower.

...I'd rather take aimed, well-placed shots with a "man-stopper" such as a .45ACP, 10mm Auto, .357 Magnum, etc.

How about carrying a 9mm, and shooting it very well? Then, nothing's precluding a feller from delivering aimed, well-placed fire --- in large volumes. ;)

Damascus
09-17-08, 14:58
How about carrying a 9mm, and shooting it very well? Then, nothing's precluding a feller from delivering aimed, well-placed fire --- in large volumes. ;)

That's absolutely right. I just always keep myself thinking that I may only have time for one shot, or, under the duress of the situation, only one shot will hit home or hit vitals. I want that one bullet to be big and do massive damage ;) Hopefully, during a SHTF or end of the world situation, I won't be limited to one pistol in one caliber... chances are, I'll have my M4, and maybe even my .308 bolt rifle, but, in a perfect world....
Who knows, if Osama-bama wins the election, we may only be entitled to one defensive weapon per household, or perhaps WORSE... :eek:

decodeddiesel
09-17-08, 15:30

I agree as well. You going to be hard pressed to convince me 7+1 rounds of 230gr +P JHP .45ACP are somehow greater than 15+1 rounds of 124gr +P JHP 9mm.

Remember all pistol bullets just punch holes, rifle rounds tear sh*t up.

ETA: who in the hell voted for .22lr???

ETA 2: I absolutely love 1911s, and my SA Loaded is perhaps my favorite pistol I have ever owned. Even so, hi cap 9mms are hard to beat for their practicality.

POF.Ops
09-17-08, 21:28
Please excuse me but I was being a SA (sorry). I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra II +2 mags of Winchester Ranger 230gr SXT. There is no need for +P in the .45 ACP as the 230gr SXT makes a wonderful wound channel all on its own. I sold the only 9mm I ever owned, a Glock 17 about 25 years ago.

I am planning to purchase a S&W M&P .45 in the very near future before Obama bin Laden bans all handguns. His crew will only allow you to own one single shot rifle. Better to thwart revolutions if your citizens have limited firepower.

Robb Jensen
09-17-08, 21:36
Whichever one you can shoot REALLY well and afford to shoot often would be your best bet.............shooting is a perishable skill. You might shoot a bigger gun almost as good some of the time (compared to a smaller one), one that you shoot well MOST of the time would be your better choice.

toddackerman
09-22-08, 17:29
45 ACP. The most proven handgun battle cartidge in America's history and the most potent as far as Terminal Ballistcs. This is undisputed by those who have done thier homework, and no I won't do it for you ! :)

DocGKR
09-22-08, 17:40
Keeping in mind that handguns generally offer poor incapacitation potential, bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers—pick the one that you shoot most accurately, that is most reliable in the type of pistol you choose, and best suits you likely engagement scenarios. Since basically all the standard service calibers work when fed good quality ammunition, the platform picked tends to dictate the caliber. For example, Glocks and Sigs tend to run best in 9 mm; the S&W M&P is the first .40 S&W pistol that seems to offer an ideal ergonomic and shooter friendly package; while a properly customized 5" steel-frame single-stack 1911 in .45 ACP is a superb, unparalleled choice for the dedicated user willing to spend a significant amount of money to get it properly initially set-up and considerable time to maintain it. For folks who want a .45 ACP pistol, but don't want to invest the funds and effort into getting a good 1911, they would be better served with a S&W .45 ACP M&P or HK45.

Heavy Metal
09-22-08, 20:29
Doc,

My Serious Social Purpose load of choice is 124gr +p Gold Dot in a Glock 19.

Is there anything significantly better than that choice in 9mm?

DocGKR
09-22-08, 23:28
That's a very good and reliable choice--use it with confidence.

Heavy Metal
09-23-08, 22:04
Good to know, thanks Doc!

Cameron
09-23-08, 22:19
The nine is fine...

but I like my .45s