PDA

View Full Version : Cz SP-01 vs Arex Rex zero 1

Mav
10-02-16, 10:34
I'm currently in the market for a all metal framed full sized handgun. I've narrowed it down to these two options currently. The basic attributes of capacity (15+), metal frame, light rail are both satisfied by both of these at an affordable price. I considered a colt 1911 (and still want one) but don't care for the stainless steel railed options currently.

I intend to use it as an all around gun for home defense, winter carry, and a range gun. Of the two which would be better, the Cz sp-01 or arex Rex zero 1?

DirectTo
10-02-16, 10:42
Which one has history, aftermarket and factory support, parts availability, and is from a respected manufacturer with a sizable share of the US market? Which one is pretty new to the market, virtually unheard of outside a couple YouTube videos, and is from a company with little share in the US market?

That should cover most of the important bases. SP-01 all the way.

TheChunkNorris
10-02-16, 12:52
I have a SP01 and would take that all day. The other full framed all metal weapon I like is a Sphinx.

Mav
10-02-16, 13:18
I've been leaning SP-01 but was impressed by the torture tests of the Rex by Mac. If I find a CZ at an lgs I'll probably pick that up.

TheChunkNorris
10-02-16, 13:21
I've been leaning SP-01 but was impressed by the torture tests of the Rex by Mac. If I find a CZ at an lgs I'll probably pick that up.

Mac is a shill and those tests are idiotic at best... you won't regret the CZ.

AppalachianThunder
10-02-16, 13:23
SP-01 all day. I'm surprised this is even a question.

KalashniKEV
10-02-16, 13:56
Mac is a shill and those tests are idiotic at best... you won't regret the CZ.

+1

SP-01 all day. I'm surprised this is even a question.

This, but can it be a normal CZ-75B?

I hate the trigger on the SP-01.

Or how about a P226 or M9?

Kenneth
10-02-16, 14:02
Urban grey SP01 suppressor ready.

I have a Shadow, P01, P07, P09, and a scorpion.

The P09 is the urban grey with the suppressor sights and barrel. It shoots softer than my $1200 shadow go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AppalachianThunder
10-02-16, 14:08
Or how about a P226 or M9?

Agreed. The P226 seems like a logical route if the OP likes the Arex. Looks damn near identical to me. Controls and all.

You get a proven track record with a CZ or a Sig. I'm leery of newcomers in any field. Atleast shoot it alot before you carry it.

timmybadshoes
10-02-16, 15:21
Here is a vote for a SP-01. Love this gun and recent got a Kadet kit for it which is pure joy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mav
10-02-16, 15:23
I can't afford to drop that much $ on the sig with the other projects and guns I want. Looks like I'll be goin CZ for sure. Damn, and the gun show just left town. On another note, I may just be ignorant but why is Mac a shill?

Kenneth
10-02-16, 18:48
Some people here don't like him. He's a YTuber and many people believe that he doesn't give honest opinions about products due to him making money off of reviews. Hatred him started around here recently for the KAC suppressor review.

The review showed that suppressor didn't shoot unicorn tears so now he's looked down upon for talking about the almighty KAC!

Frailer
10-02-16, 20:21
I haven't the first clue about the Rex, so I can't possibly compare the two guns.

I can, however, say that my SP-01 Tactical has been as reliable as a handgun can possibly be through its first thousand rounds or so. It's also the most accurate 9mm I own.

Screwball
10-02-16, 20:36
I picked up a SP-01... was never a big fan of them, but I was between a CZ-75 and a Hi Power. Stocked up on magazines, and picked up a Kadet kit.

When I was looking at CZs, I had the stainless 75, 85, and SP-01. Didn't like the ambidextrous slide lock on the 85, but the rail made the decision... but the savings with the SP-01 also helped. The SP-01 is a very comfortable pistol and shoots great. I prefer the safety version over the decocker.

TheChunkNorris
10-02-16, 23:40
Some people here don't like him. He's a YTuber and many people believe that he doesn't give honest opinions about products due to him making money off of reviews. Hatred him started around here recently for the KAC suppressor review.

The review showed that suppressor didn't shoot unicorn tears so now he's looked down upon for talking about the almighty KAC!

Bingo. He's the Gallagher of the YouTube gun world.... once upon a time I found his vids to be very informative but after watching the VP9 "fail", I just don't pay attention to him. He routinely bashes companies who don't sponsor him. If you want a good, informative and not stupid vids... MrGunsnGear Channel is probably one of the best to get an unbiased review from.

KalashniKEV
10-03-16, 10:03
Another option for the OP might be a good, clean (not stored on the bottom of the ocean), Israeli surplus Hi Power- if SA is an option. I actually think those are the best deal going now, and it's tough to consider budget or off brand pistols that are new to market.

Wait... I thought he was a shill for KAC because he spoke so highly of the can?

The 556 QDC flat-out sucks.

It's not light, it's not short, it's not quiet, it's not inexpensive... and all cans shift POI.

It has nothing going for it, and quite a bit against it.

If you want a good, informative and not stupid vids... MrGunsnGear Channel is probably one of the best to get an unbiased review from.

Eh... I can't really get past that neck. Is his mom a giraffe or something?

Zim
10-03-16, 14:55
MAC is literally the dictionary definition of a shill for the Arex Rex Zero. He puts out his review of the pistol and heaps praise, then pits it against a known commodity where the Rex Zero does surprisingly well and the known commodity does surprisingly really terrible. Now MAC's own store is selling the Rex Zero and the distributor is using MAC's videos to sell the pistol. Take everything he says with a huge grain of salt.

m4brian
10-03-16, 15:45
Unless you know something provable about the falsehood of the test, it's ridiculous to dismiss it on its face. If operating in adverse conditions means something to you it's a decent test, done systematically. The p320 did much better.
Because he advertises and sells it doesn't invalidate the test. Just tells you where he is coming from.

I don't like the XD-like extractor which alone might DQ it in my book. Then there is the support issue. But I like the test, and want to see it on the whole gambit of go to guns.

Zim
10-03-16, 15:58
Running the gun bone dry in adverse conditions invalidates the test, and he's doing it for personal profit.

m4brian
10-03-16, 17:49
Both were lubed to start. Watch the vid. MAYBE he found out that the SIG does worse with CLP than the AREX, maybe. Still, the AREX performance is pretty impressive, regardless of who did it.

For other reasons it may be a non starter anyhow, so attack with truth.

Mav
10-03-16, 17:51
Well if everything said here is true then his test of the CZ will be interesting as it is his current carry gun. I haven't seen enough evidence to call him a shill one way or another, everyone has a bias and Ill just take his opinion with that in mind. Anyways thanks to everyone for filling me in on the gun choice, looking forward to the new gun.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-03-16, 17:51
The SP-01 is an excellent gun. Until mine was stolen it was my favorite range gun and it sat beside my bed with an X400 attached.

Zim
10-03-16, 18:39
Both were lubed to start. Watch the vid.

He claims they were both lubed equally at the start, yes. He also took the Legion apart on camera, sprayed a little CLP at it, and wiped it off. If that's your idea of well lubed you should probably steer clear of metal framed firearms.

attack with truth.

I did that; you disagreed.

TheChunkNorris
10-03-16, 22:05
He claims they were both lubed equally at the start, yes. He also took the Legion apart on camera, sprayed a little CLP at it, and wiped it off. If that's your idea of well lubed you should probably steer clear of metal framed firearms.

I did that; you disagreed.

Guess he likes his "informative" vids.

m4brian
10-03-16, 22:08
There is nothing wrong with this particular test. He gives the Legion more breaks than the AREX. The AREX performed better, period. Get over it.

TheChunkNorris
10-03-16, 23:08
There is nothing wrong with this particular test. He gives the Legion more breaks than the AREX. The AREX performed better, period. Get over it.

I couldn't care less about that particular vid. I'm referring to Gallagher's gun tests in general... get over it.

Well if everything said here is true then his test of the CZ will be interesting as it is his current carry gun. I haven't seen enough evidence to call him a shill one way or another, everyone has a bias and Ill just take his opinion with that in mind. Anyways thanks to everyone for filling me in on the gun choice, looking forward to the new gun.

Check out how critical he was about Keltec in his older vids(RFB) and how much he loves them now that he's getting exclusive press release stuff... if that's not a shill I don't know what is. Same thing with Sig and some of his other new buddies. Either way you'll enjoy the CZ in whatever model you decide. Cajun customs does work on them if you decide to want to upgrade in the future. CZ USA is pretty good with having parts on hand and magazines aren't terribly expensive, it's a win win.

m4brian
10-05-16, 15:50
Back to the OP.

If it were primarily a range gun and maybe home defense I'd say SP01 - as long as carry wasn't a concern. The SP01 is VERY flat shooting, and the trigger is pretty good OTB, and likely cleans up well. It has MEGA support, and mags are pretty cheap. Again, it is a BIG, heavy gun, with a relatively low bore axis and shoots like a dream. Took my PreB out again yesterday, and it was PLEASURE to shoot.

If carry is a good portion of your concern, also think P01 Omega. Very versatile (switch from C/L to deccoker) and the Omega system is simpler to work on - not QUITE as tunable for sports, but fine for HD and carry. It is also pretty light and support is strong. You can shoot larger mags through the P01 also for HD. Its more versatile.

I will caveat. The Arex likely comes with a better OTB trigger if it decently replicates the SIG in that regard. But, the DA may be pretty heavy from reviews I've seen.

The vid that gets all the trash here makes LOOKING at an Arex a valid proposition. But, the support is minimal at this point and if the election goes a certain way, it could be an orphan. Then there is the XD like extractor I mentioned.