PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint PRO or Vortex or Steiner M332/P4Xi or ...?

Sid Post
10-03-16, 13:57
I am thinking about a red dot sight or LPV for an AR-15. With the high price points of the Aimpoints, I have been looking at the Vortex options. With the Aimpoint Pro running ~$425 street price and the Vortex RDS/Prism running ~$200, is the Aimpoint twice as good? Or, would a different ~$425 RDS be a better option? Then there are the prism options like the Vortex StrikeFire AR and Steiner M332. The thought of a LPV is attractive but, descent glass and reticles seem to get expensive fast. The Steiner P4Xi is a reach but, doable.

I need an optic that will allow me to reliably hit a piglet, coyote, or feral dog at 200 yards at dusk in a tree line while still working well for closer in daytime uses. The Leupold 3x9 works well for the 200 yard shots but, closer in all I see is hair/furr and I loose situational awareness tracking predators killing my livestock.

I have a Vortex VMX-3T magnifier sitting in a box so, the thought of using a RDS with that is attractive as I can get some magnification for longer shots and go back to nothing for close shots. I wear glasses and have some astigmatism so the Prism sights have piqued my curiosity. However, I think I may be coming full circle back to a low power scope with some illumination for dusk shots into shadows.

Should I skip my fascination with the Aimpoints and Vortex sights and go old school with a LPV like the Steiner P4Xi? If so, what other scopes should I consider in the sub-$600 range?

TIA,
Sid

Furbyballer
10-03-16, 14:17
I am a huge fan of the Steiner P4Xi and Aimpoint. You get a tremendous amount of value for your money with the steiner and aimpoint is a solid product you can always trust your life to. I would say that the steiner is on par with scopes that are twice as expensive. I am a buy once, cry once type of guy and usually do not recommend any budget red dots over aimpoint or the new MRO. BTW, you could pick up a new MRO with a mount for around $450 or so now.

GH41
10-03-16, 14:27
I I knew I had to shoot a dusk at the ranges you describe I would go for a scope for it's light gathering ability. Probably a 1X4. The Leupold SPR is a decent little scope in the $500 price range.

cop1211
10-03-16, 19:53
P4XI all day long for your intended use. Ive got Aimpoint, MRO and the Steiner.