PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Own a Basic 6920 Carbine. Am I Missing Out?

w3453l
10-04-16, 21:34
I don't want this to be read as something that would be posted on TOS; this is something that crossed my mind with the elections coming up.

I have two AR's currently set up with SR-15 uppers. I am sure that these are both above and beyond whatever skill level I reach with the AR. At the time of purchase I did research and saved up for them as I knew they were quality uppers, and I plan to never sell these.

Now what I'm wondering is, am I really missing out on not owning a basic 6920/KISS setup AR? Reading around it seems lots of people have 3 one of each gas length, barrel length, barrel profile, free float, non free float, &c.

I doubt I'll wear out the two I have, but s#%t happens so I believe a spare is a must.

With the current pricing being this low on Colts, should I just buy one or put the money into a couple cases of ammo?

I feel like these may be the last few weeks to make the move, and I do live in CA which has already placed a ban on semi rifles and online ammo purchases.

wigbones
10-04-16, 21:49
If you put the effort and research into your purchase from the start, and are still happy with your decision, I wouldn't worry about missing out on owning a more "simple" AR. If you want another rifle strictly for the peace of mind then go for it.

wildcard600
10-04-16, 22:04
If you have the cash, go for it. The 6920 is a fantastic rifle. Your SR-15's are "better" so your not missing out on anything, but three is two and 2 is one and all that.

3M-TA3
10-04-16, 22:05
Between another rifle vs ammunition in CA, I'd get the rifle - you can always get ammo even if you have to drive to NV or OR to pick it up.

Jwknutson17
10-04-16, 22:06
If you already own two SR15's, your aren't missing out on anything. I would buy another SR15 upper as a "spare" before a 6920.

mjpgolf1
10-04-16, 22:21
Depends on what you like and want in a rifle. I personally don't see the craze around the basic Colt rifle. I've handled many and in their stock form they do absolutely nothing for me. Now, that said it's the base from which most ARs are judged by and they are obviously very well built rifles that have earned their place in this industry. However with today's "modern" AR becoming more and more popular this style is looking more and more dated, at least in my eyes. I own guns with rails stretching to the very end of the barrel, with short throw safety levers, titanium muzzle devices, and many more modern upgrades. So it all comes down to what style you like. Both versions can be 100% reliable so it's all personal preference.

w3453l
10-04-16, 22:22
If you already own two SR15's, your aren't missing out on anything. I would buy another SR15 upper as a "spare" before a 6920.

This idea has been going thru my head as well. I want to still buy something before the shortages start. Although the SR-15 upper will be about double the price of what an OEM 6920 would cost.

I'm a firm believer in having spares and repetition. Although the Colt just stands out because of how little it costs right now.

SeriousStudent
10-04-16, 22:22
I would honestly spend the money on a good carbine class with the requisite ammo. Skill will always trump gear, if the gear of a reasonable quality. The SR-15 certainly qualifies in that regard.

w3453l
10-04-16, 22:32
I would honestly spend the money on a good carbine class with the requisite ammo. Skill will always trump gear, if the gear of a reasonable quality. The SR-15 certainly qualifies in that regard.

Yes, a class is definitely in the plans for the next year. The more posts I'm starting to read here, the more I'm thinking of just going with the ammo. I know for a fact that I need more training.

What gets me is the planning in the long run. My logic was that training and classes will still be available within the next year or so. I'm not too sure what availability of ammo and gear will be.

I do believe 100% that software is more important than the hardware. Just that like I said, I'm thinking whether this is just one of those rare cases where the smarter thing might be to just buy the gear while I still can; with the timing of everything involving local legislation, national political climate, and just current availability.

SeriousStudent
10-04-16, 22:35
All good points. I made an effort for a long time to just buy regular supplies of ammo, prior to 2008. I'm still shooting a lot of that stuff in classes and at the range.

Also not a bad idea to pick up some reloading components, even if you may not be a reloader. I was able to trade some Bullseye powder for some nice stuff over the last two years.

Just a thought.

mjpgolf1
10-04-16, 22:39
Yes, a class is definitely in the plans for the next year. The more posts I'm starting to read here, the more I'm thinking of just going with the ammo. I know for a fact that I need more training.

What gets me is the planning in the long run. My logic was that training and classes will still be available within the next year or so. I'm not too sure what availability of ammo and gear will be.

I do believe 100% that software is more important than the hardware. Just that like I said, I'm thinking whether this is just one of those rare cases where the smarter thing might be to just buy the gear while I still can; with the timing of everything involving local legislation, national political climate, and just current availability.

I was going to say exactly what you just said here. The classes are a great idea, however you will always be able to sign up for one, while you may not be able to get your hands on certain stuff for a while after the election.

scooter22
10-04-16, 22:51
My opinions:

SR-15 uppers are the way to go.

Currently, my only KISS is a 12.5" Kino.

I think ammo is the best use of funds.

However, if you want a 6920, and can afford it - go for it.

SeriousStudent
10-04-16, 22:56
I was going to say exactly what you just said here. The classes are a great idea, however you will always be able to sign up for one, while you may not be able to get your hands on certain stuff for a while after the election.

I'm not a hundred percent sure about training, and I have thought about that a whole lot. Ammo is always going to be the safer bet - I certainly agree with you there.

But considering some of the bills being discussed in Sacramento, it's not out of the realm of possibility that you could have people banned from training there. I know it sounds wacky to you and I, but it's not a big jump from "ban de killer riflez!" to "ban commando murderer training!"

One could always leave the state to train. Or buy ammo. But predicting the future is a pretty tough gig. Otherwise I'd be a Lotto Millionaire. :cool:

scooter22
10-04-16, 23:00
I'm not a hundred percent sure about training, and I have thought about that a whole lot. Ammo is always going to be the safer bet - I certainly agree with you there.

But considering some of the bills being discussed in Sacramento, it's not out of the realm of possibility that you could have people banned from training there. I know it sounds wacky to you and I, but it's not a big jump from "ban de killer riflez!" to "ban commando murderer training!"

One could always leave the state to train. Or buy ammo. But predicting the future is a pretty tough gig. Otherwise I'd be a Lotto Millionaire. :cool:

I have been thinking about this as well.

I could see the end of civilian firearms training on the horizon in the very near future.

Firefly
10-04-16, 23:29
Hrm...

SR-15 is pretty much CLEPing 6920s. Get the rifles you want. If youbwant an honest, stock 6920....no harm in it. At this point it is want vs need. Looking at a Colt M4 .22 since I've come into some .22 when I can shoot again.

Classes are good but IMO rifle classes seem to be redundancy on redundancy. If I were spending my personal money on a class, it would be handguns. Very hard to master and a lot of fine motor manipulation.

Rifles are more easier, especially with the triggers available, optics, etc. Unless it is literally your job, I'd sooner invest in handgun training if you've had some formal rifle training already. If not, range estimation, iron sight usage, electronic/telescopic zero and adj and remedial actions arent that hard and are more straightforward than close in handgun fighting where stress meets fine motor.

Really you have all you need. Get what you want. Anything I have is a result of a hobby, a historical interest, or wanting something I want.

If I could only take one 5.56 AR, It'd likely be my 6920 simply because I know it best. SP1 being a close second.

I understand ban panic/concern, but provided the world doesnt plunge into total chaos....I could live my life, personally, with an SP1 and 2 20 rounders. Boonie Hat and Ray Bans and taking my time.

If the world pooped the bed it'd be my 6920 and all the GI mags I could cram in my 5.11 ruck. I probably should put a red dot on it. Otherwise, I'd sooner have an SR-15.

FWIW, I think you are already g2g, but if you want something, go ahead and get it now.

SeriousStudent
10-04-16, 23:36
A Scotty Reitz pistol class or two would not be a bad thing to have at all.

wildcard600
10-05-16, 00:48

I could see the end of civilian firearms training on the horizon in the very near future.

Very true, but in Kali they are seeing the endgame of civilian firearm ownership NOW.

I think in the OP's case another rifle is the safest bet based on the current legislative environment there.

Sid Post
10-05-16, 01:59
I would buy another AR-15 or possibly a Tavor. You might also want to consider a pistol caliber SMG/Semi-rifle or an AR-10 platform.

If I was in your shoes however, I think I would be looking for a job out of state. I have turned down REALLY big money in the past because I absolutely did not want to live on the East or West Coasts. Business trip, OK. Vacation, not likely but possible. A permanent move, no way.

If you can cross the border into Arizona or Nevada, SBR's and full-auto's are possible. Life for me in Texas is pretty good too!

Regarding ammo, sure there will be panic buying and hoarding given the political climate but, look what happened when they tried to reclassify M855/SS109 ammunition as AP at the national level (sorry can't help you in California). Though in California, I'm sure an outright ban on ammunition purchases is possible given the wacky state of things out there. You can always travel out state and buy reloading components if you have too. While in Arizona, I ran into private pilots that flew into Tucson and bought basically every box of ammo Wal-Mart had. :eek: Not good for the locals but, it did some good to get ammo behind enemy lines for the good guys! :D

Professional training may be tougher in the future but, there is nothing preventing groups of like minded people meeting and practicing. If you must, go to a different state. When I was at Front Sight, we had students from Europe who basically had never held a gun. Granted it was sort of like learning to swim in Class IV rapids but, while they could not own a gun in their home country, they could train on one in Nevada.

C-grunt
10-05-16, 03:11
I recently built an iron sighted 20 inch A4 rifle. Very basic. Very user friendly. I dont have to worry about batteries or anything like that.

I use it mostly for practicing the fundamentals. Its basically what I used at Ft Benning in Basic many years ago. When my head starts getting wrapped around stupid things like obsessing over which sling is better.... that rifle centers me again. Back to the basics.

A plain jane 6920 with a carry handle is a great rifle. If you've never put serious time behind an iron sighted AR you will be surprised at how useful they actually can be.

mark5pt56
10-05-16, 05:31

Depending on a legal opinion of the activities and intent, it already does. Other than Virginia, I haven't read the others.

http://law.justia.com/codes/virginia/2006/toc1802000/18.2-433.2.html

http://thefiringline.com/library/milpara.html

Jwknutson17
10-05-16, 07:30
What about just a spare E3 bolt as backup for your 2 SR15 uppers? And ammo with remaining funds.

Arik
10-05-16, 07:49
I own 2 ARs. Both Colt. 6721 and 6920. Aside from optics I have no interest in gear. Both rifles are stock and the 6920 came with one of those giant Surefire M500 light that's part of the handguard. A smaller one would be nice but this one works fine too.

Part of the problem is I don't have enough experience to know what I want and why. At this point buying a railed handguard won't mean anything except money spent. And I hate spending good money only to find out the product doesn't work for me. The other part of the problem is I really have no interest in fiddling with firearms. A lot of guys will see a firearm and buy it so that they can add what they want to it. Something like a basic 1911 that they will gut and replace with better components, add night sights, maybe ambient safety. Or an AR that they will change the stock, handguards, triggers....etc.. Me, I just won't buy it. Or I'll wait till the one I do like is for sale at a good price.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TMS951
10-05-16, 08:00
I had only ever built guns, quite a few of them.

When 6720s were widely available at 799$ I picked one up. Pride of ownership was definitely there. It was very cool having a colt all nicely in all its factory packaging.

Eventually that wore off and the bug to modify bit. I added a DD Ris II I had around and it went down hill from there.

I'd never buy a 6920, go for the 6720

Renegade04
10-05-16, 09:04
I don't want this to be read as something that would be posted on TOS; this is something that crossed my mind with the elections coming up.

I have two AR's currently set up with SR-15 uppers. I am sure that these are both above and beyond whatever skill level I reach with the AR. At the time of purchase I did research and saved up for them as I knew they were quality uppers, and I plan to never sell these.

Now what I'm wondering is, am I really missing out on not owning a basic 6920/KISS setup AR? Reading around it seems lots of people have 3 one of each gas length, barrel length, barrel profile, free float, non free float, &c.

I doubt I'll wear out the two I have, but s#%t happens so I believe a spare is a must.

With the current pricing being this low on Colts, should I just buy one or put the money into a couple cases of ammo?

I feel like these may be the last few weeks to make the move, and I do live in CA which has already placed a ban on semi rifles and online ammo purchases.

You are not really missing out on not having a Colt 6920. There are other good quality options for a K.I.S.S. type AR and some are much less money.

C4IGrant
10-05-16, 09:11

I will share what we see during elections and mass shootings (and what I do for my family).

1. Election years always drive shortages for AR's, ammo and mags.
2. The first AR's to become rare are ones in the $500-$700 range and then the scale moves up to the next price bracket.
3. If an anti-gun politician is elected, the same low priced guns double and triple in value. This can be short lived or carry on for a year.
4. The Colt LE6920 is one of the most recognizable AR's on the planet. We have seen them sell on GB for over $4k during times of panic.

I have two boys. Each one of them has 100 AR mags with their name on them. Each one has multiple AR's (new) in both complete and stripped form with their names on them. Collapse of the US dollar (the most likely catastrophic event) means that people will go back to a barter system. Everyone and their mother has heard of Colt. These AR's will command the best trade options across a wider group of people. So I think it wise to put back a Colt for future events or as an inheritance.

C4

556BlackRifle
10-05-16, 09:26
I like the way you think Grant. Very good assessment and smart thing(s) to do.

tpe187
10-05-16, 09:33
Yeah, what Grant said ^^^

I have a dozen or so ARs (BCM, Colt, KAC, LMT, Stag, Rock River) in various calibers and configurations. Periodically I will have the desire to have a simple Colt 6920 and will probably shoot it a few times and then put it away. At certain times I will sell them to fund other projects. I don't ever lose much, if anything in the deal. For the price, the value, quality, and name recognition, the 6920 is unbeatable. I tell most of my guys to pick up a 6920 for their first AR. If they get serious, they can slap on a different upper. If they change their mind or never use it, they can sell and recover most of the cost because people know what Colt is.

Having said that, at this point I would put my money into complete lowers, like the BCM lower, and buy cases of 30rd magazines (PMAG, OKAY, Colt) If there is a panic, and I'm sure we will see it in a couple weeks, you will have all you need and might be able to make a few bucks in the process.

C4IGrant
10-05-16, 09:33
I like the way you think Grant. Very good assessment and smart thing(s) to do.

Thanks. Around the 2012 election, I had a nightmare (yes an actual nightmare where I woke straight up in the middle of the night). The dream was basically my two boys were adults and there had been a ban on all high capacity mags. I had not set aside any mags for them and now they weren't available. My boys asked me "what was I thinking" by not stockpiling as many mags as possible??? I knew the ban was coming and didn't do anything about it (especially as a gun dealer).

The next day, I made a phone call and had 200 mags appear by the end of the week.

C4

sevenhelmet
10-05-16, 09:37
I'm very interested in this thread, as a lot of the same things have been crossing my mind lately.

Regarding training, any recommendations for CCW/defensive pistol training near (or even in) Southern California? I'm only 3.5 hours from Vegas, but most of what I've researched has been the gee-whiz-tourist-shoot-a-machine-gun type stuff which holds little to no interest for me. Other classes had "prior badassery required" type prereqs, or were really far away in places like Ohio. I assume most good firearm training would be outside CA, but I could be wrong for pistol. I'd love to get at least a solid fundamentals class under my belt before those kinds of opportunities go away.

C4IGrant
10-05-16, 09:41
I'm very interested in this thread, as a lot of the same things have been crossing my mind lately.

Regarding training, any recommendations for CCW/defensive pistol training near (or even in) Southern California? I'm only 3.5 hours from Vegas, but most of what I've researched has been the gee-whiz-tourist-shoot-a-machine-gun type stuff which holds little to no interest for me. Other classes had "prior badassery required" type prereqs, or were really far away in places like Ohio. I assume most good firearm training would be outside CA, but I could be wrong for pistol. I'd love to get at least a solid fundamentals class under my belt before those kinds of opportunities go away.

http://www.aztectrainingservices.com

The one owner also teaches some entry level classes (SMGLee) which might be a good start. So I would e-mail them and see what they can help you with.

C4

1911-A1
10-05-16, 10:06
I did exactly this a couple years ago. I have an SR15 and a BCM mid. I had the chance to get a 6920 for cheap, so I grabbed it. I hung a simple MI rail on it and a spare CompM4. The first thing I noticed was how sharp the recoil was compared to the mid guns. I'm glad I have it and I don't think I'll EVER lose money on it. It's a great addition, a solid loaner/training rifle for new shooters too.

JC5188
10-05-16, 11:01
I will share what we see during elections and mass shootings (and what I do for my family).

2. The first AR's to become rare are ones in the $500-$700 range and then the scale moves up to the next price bracket.
3. If an anti-gun politician is elected, the same low priced guns double and triple in value. This can be short lived or carry on for a year.
4. The Colt LE6920 is one of the most recognizable AR's on the planet. We have seen them sell on GB for over $4k during times of panic.

I have two boys. Each one of them has 100 AR mags with their name on them. Each one has multiple AR's (new) in both complete and stripped form with their names on them. Collapse of the US dollar (the most likely catastrophic event) means that people will go back to a barter system. Everyone and their mother has heard of Colt. These AR's will command the best trade options across a wider group of people. So I think it wise to put back a Colt for future events or as an inheritance.

C4

While I agree and appreciate this line of thinking, if 6920's start selling for $4k mine is G-O-N-E.

[emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C4IGrant
10-05-16, 11:08
While I agree and appreciate this line of thinking, if 6920's start selling for $4k mine is G-O-N-E.

[emoji14]

Understand. This is why you buy two of them. ;)

C4

DEPUTY346
10-05-16, 11:18

Ask yourself how much do I feel comfortable spending. There are better AR's out there than Colt.

JC5188
10-05-16, 11:18
Understand. This is why you buy two of them. ;)

C4

Lol...right on.

C4IGrant
10-05-16, 11:20
Ask yourself how much do I feel comfortable spending. There are better AR's out there than Colt.

I always find these statements interesting. What AR beats a Colt 6920 for the same dollar amount?

C4

CRAMBONE
10-05-16, 11:32
I always find these statements interesting. What AR beats a Colt 6920 for the same dollar amount?

C4

Whatever ones you have in stock! :jester:

C4IGrant
10-05-16, 11:51
Whatever ones you have in stock! :jester:

Well, at this point you are probably right.

C4

Hapworth
10-05-16, 12:27

C4For the money, none. But the poster needs to define what is meant by "better" first or we end up talking at cross purposes.

scooter22
10-05-16, 12:41
Oh look, it's this thread again...

wildcard600
10-05-16, 14:49

C4

I think they may mean that you can spend more and get a "better" AR like the SR-15, hence the "how much do I feel comfortable spending" preface.

C4IGrant
10-05-16, 15:01
I think they may mean that you can spend more and get a "better" AR like the SR-15, hence the "how much do I feel comfortable spending" preface.

True, but you never know and is why I asked the question.

C4

nova3930
10-05-16, 15:22

I'm totally stealing those ideas for my boys :D

sevenhelmet
10-05-16, 15:43

The one owner also teaches some entry level classes (SMGLee) which might be a good start. So I would e-mail them and see what they can help you with.

C4

Thanks, Grant.

Sid Post
10-05-16, 19:21

C4

Grant,

Thanks for providing that information. That's one training option I haven't seen in my research. As I hope for a better 2017, I will keep them in mind with my other training options.

williejc
10-05-16, 20:08
I plan to buy FN's version of the M4 carbine because it's available and because I've worked out details of a fair trade. My intent is to replace my 12 ga pumps for home defense because arthritis has begun to limit effective handling. I assume that the FN AR line demonstrates good quality control. Other than making changes enabling installation of a first class light, I will leave the weapon original. Investing for resale is not a concern, I have no heirs.

C4IGrant
10-05-16, 20:39
I plan to buy FN's version of the M4 carbine because it's available and because I've worked out details of a fair trade. My intent is to replace my 12 ga pumps for home defense because arthritis has begun to limit effective handling. I assume that the FN AR line demonstrates good quality control. Other than making changes enabling installation of a first class light, I will leave the weapon original. Investing for resale is not a concern, I have no heirs.

An FN made M4 would be down he list behind Colt, BCM and some other companies.

C4

Benito
10-05-16, 21:01
Grant must be using that dream sharing machine from Inception. I had an eerily similar dream.

SE Flyer
10-06-16, 11:07
My first AR was a 6920, thanks in large part to the knowledge that I gained from this forum.

chuckman
10-06-16, 12:00
Over the years I have redefined what I want and need out of guns. Right now I have one AR: a Daniel Defense. I fully buy into the "two is one, one is none" school of thought (as beat into me in the mil), but I decided to roll the dice and go for quality over quantity for me, for now. What happens on November 8 (aside from me turning 48, that lesser important thing known as 'the election') and subsequent fallout on the firearms industry will help me decide what I want to do regarding getting another. I am buying up ammo and mags, though.

Vegas
10-06-16, 12:19
I stopped buying guns 18 months ago, sold all my .22LR gear to just buy components for reloading in anticipation of your birthday chuckman :) I have a built AR that fits the profile of a 6920 and it rarely gets shot. I find myself reaching for my recce style gun (more fun) or the SBR (handier).

MistWolf
10-06-16, 13:34

Perhaps. But few are equal to the Colt in quality of springs and matching port diameters, reciprocating mass and spring rate

leibermuster
10-06-16, 18:14
Buy a 6920 for sure, you should have extra ARs(colts) by now. A few shorty's as well. Colts comes in at an amazing price down south compared to Canada, so no excuses, go out and get one ..err, actually 2.

williejc
10-06-16, 19:21
I had assumed that since FN has had "the contract"' for ARs that the company would be doing it right. My technical knowledge of the subject is so low that Im not qualified to explain why Colt might be better than FN. However, I could discuss with a beginner why Colt is better than all the Bushmaster types. I must point out that I accept forum doctrine about Colt high ranking on the list. Can someone point out the main points whereby Colt trumps the FN. If I do buy the FN, I'll run 750 rds through it, clean it, and thereafter fire it infrequently. I may have 10 active years left so this choice may work for me.

leibermuster
10-06-16, 19:24
I had assumed that since FN has had "the contract"' for ARs that the company would be doing it right. My technical knowledge of the subject is so low that Im not qualified to explain why Colt might be better than FN. However, I could discuss with a beginner why Colt is better than all the Bushmaster types. I must point out that I accept forum doctrine about Colt high ranking on the list. Can someone point out the main points whereby Colt trumps the FN. If I do buy the FN, I'll run 750 rds through it, clean it, and thereafter fire it infrequently. I may have 10 active years left so this choice may work for me.

I would buy FN in a heart beat, if comparing to their LMG and GPMG I have used extensively and fondled a few FAls its hard for me to not consider them a top dog in the market especially with there latest offerings to the civilian market which is by far not their bread and butter.

brushy bill
10-06-16, 20:18
Can someone point out the main points whereby Colt trumps the FN. If I do buy the FN, I'll run 750 rds through it, clean it, and thereafter fire it infrequently. I may have 10 active years left so this choice may work for me.

Main concern I've seen here is that FN is not made to TDP...apparently, they are not permitted to use their inside knowledge to manufacture commercial variants to TDP spec. Since Colt had the TDP, this does not affect them. NOTE: I have no experience with the commercial FN, only military issue version from year ago.

Sid Post
10-06-16, 21:44
Colt's are built closely to the TDP spec. Commercial FN's may be good rifles but, they aren't built to the same TDP as Colts. For the money, a Colt 6920 is hard to beat for most people without a very specific reason for something else.

Hapworth
10-06-16, 22:05
I had assumed that since FN has had "the contract"' for ARs that the company would be doing it right. My technical knowledge of the subject is so low that Im not qualified to explain why Colt might be better than FN. However, I could discuss with a beginner why Colt is better than all the Bushmaster types. I must point out that I accept forum doctrine about Colt high ranking on the list. Can someone point out the main points whereby Colt trumps the FN. If I do buy the FN, I'll run 750 rds through it, clean it, and thereafter fire it infrequently. I may have 10 active years left so this choice may work for me.FN makes several superior products; their civilian AR line, however, appears closer to middling. You could do worse, but for the money you could do better.

Sid Post and brushy bill touched on why; if you want to read the mother of all threads on the subject, here goes: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?143446-Is-FN-preparing-to-release-their-own-AR

JC5188
10-07-16, 04:58

I don't think he necessarily meant the FN is poor quality, but when comparing ARs at a certain price point it's impossible to beat the 69/6720. Primarily because it is exactly what the thing is supposed to be. The "standard" if you will.

williejc
10-07-16, 08:22
Now I understand. Thank you.

C4IGrant
10-07-16, 09:51
I know this thread is about the 6920, but I consider the 6720 to be the best value.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720

C4

leibermuster
10-07-16, 13:10
I know this thread is about the 6920, but I consider the 6720 to be the best value.

C4

Man that is such a low price too. When i look at US prices i always laugh. You guys have it so easy. I cant imagine what some Americans bother buying lower quality commercial guns.

C4IGrant
10-07-16, 13:20
Man that is such a low price too. When i look at US prices i always laugh. You guys have it so easy. I cant imagine what some Americans bother buying lower quality commercial guns.

Very good question, but yet they do.

C4

Falar
10-07-16, 13:45
Main concern I've seen here is that FN is not made to TDP...apparently, they are not permitted to use their inside knowledge to manufacture commercial variants to TDP spec. Since Colt had the TDP, this does not affect them. NOTE: I have no experience with the commercial FN, only military issue version from year ago.

Not too long ago, I bought an FN to check out. I had been "away" for several years in a ban state and completely out of the loop in the firearms world. After using FNs in the military I was excited to see they entered the civilian market finally.

Per the users manual, the barrel steel is 4140. I looked over everything else as well as I could:

Taper pins were used.
"F" FSB ws used.
1:7 barrel with great M4 feedramps.
Milspec tube but I'm not a metallurgist so can't tell 6061 vs 7075.
Great staking on the BCG.
"meh" staking on the castle nut but it was staked. More like "dimpled" actually.
T-marked upper.
Bolt had "MPI" on it.
M16 Carrier.
"H" buffer.

At the time these models were going for over a grand so I was unhappy with the 4140 barrel steel. Everything I could check out in the store looked ok, so I gave it a shot. I ended up selling it after I found out the barrel was 4140 and it hurt extra since the prices on them fell considerably after I had bought it. While they are going for less now it is still pretty much the same as 6920 money so I just don't see the point in them.

The more expensive models have hammer forged barrels, maybe those have the correct barrel steel (I would assume they would since they would actually be made by FN) but at that price point I think there are still other options where you aren't taking a chance.

They are definitely better than most of what's out there but I wouldn't pay more or the same money for an FN that checks almost all of the boxes when I can get one that checks them all. Barrel steel is an important one to me as well.

WynnS
10-07-16, 15:55
I went this same route this spring. I have a BCM 16inch LW Mid Length and saw a Colt 6720 at lgs for $799 and couldn't turn that kind of price down.

I have been putting rounds through it this summer and it is an extremely light & maneuverable rifle.

w3453l
10-07-16, 19:33

This has been one of my biggest fears for a while. I didn't even want to post anything relating to the possibility of legislation against civilian training to not give lurkers any ideas. Those bills are the first I hear of something like this actually going thru.

Regardless, I think that I can scrap up some money for a class again sooner than I'll be able to put the money into another rifle, mags, ammo, &c.

I would buy another AR-15 or possibly a Tavor. You might also want to consider a pistol caliber SMG/Semi-rifle or an AR-10 platform.

If I was in your shoes however, I think I would be looking for a job out of state. I have turned down REALLY big money in the past because I absolutely did not want to live on the East or West Coasts. Business trip, OK. Vacation, not likely but possible. A permanent move, no way.

If you can cross the border into Arizona or Nevada, SBR's and full-auto's are possible. Life for me in Texas is pretty good too!

Regarding ammo, sure there will be panic buying and hoarding given the political climate but, look what happened when they tried to reclassify M855/SS109 ammunition as AP at the national level (sorry can't help you in California). Though in California, I'm sure an outright ban on ammunition purchases is possible given the wacky state of things out there. You can always travel out state and buy reloading components if you have too. While in Arizona, I ran into private pilots that flew into Tucson and bought basically every box of ammo Wal-Mart had. :eek: Not good for the locals but, it did some good to get ammo behind enemy lines for the good guys! :D

Professional training may be tougher in the future but, there is nothing preventing groups of like minded people meeting and practicing. If you must, go to a different state. When I was at Front Sight, we had students from Europe who basically had never held a gun. Granted it was sort of like learning to swim in Class IV rapids but, while they could not own a gun in their home country, they could train on one in Nevada.

Moving out of state isn't something that's in the cards for the moment. Long term yes, but right now I have no idea when that would be.

As for Bullpups: if I were going that route it would be an AUG. I've shot the Tavor, but for me the AUG was preferred. As much as I'd like one, that's going to be a a lot of money. Long story short, it's not a logistically smart choice for me now.

I have been dreaming of having an LMT MWS, and while I can justify the price of the rifle I don't have any mags or ammo for it. It will be very expensive to obtain just a small amount of mags and ammo. At this point I don't know if I want to buy a gun that I will be struggling to buy ammo for from the start.

C4

I had a similar dream about buying AK mags for my self the night of SH shooting. When I woke up they were sold out.

As for reloading components: I've been stocking up for over a year. I have no equipment, but a decent amount of what I need for .223 and 9 mm.

I'm relatively young, so I haven't had much time to stash pallets of ammo and 100's of magazines. I was in High School during the 2008 panic, but I was into firearms when SH happened.

I'm starting to get the idea that I should just grab one more SR-15 upper and be done with it. I'm still open to further discussion, I've enjoyed reading all the replies.

Thanks again to the contributions

ETA: Ah man C4IGrant, I clicked that long and the 6720 is actually in stock; this is getting hard haha.

twm134
10-07-16, 20:28
This is why Colts make so much sense. Knights are great rifles and in many ways possibly/likely better than a Colt. However, at these prices NOTHING beats these rifles and with a few modifications they are capable of everything most will ever need or want to do with a 5.56 AR.

C4

CPM
10-07-16, 23:36
Grant, why do you like the 6720? Is the pencil barrel that much better?

556Cliff
10-08-16, 09:34

I'm not Grant but yes, the 6720s pencil barrel makes a world of difference.

Pilot1
10-08-16, 10:17
I'm not Grant but yes, the 6720s pencil barrel makes a world of difference.

What is the trade off for having the thinner, lighter barrel? Is their any difference in accuracy, especially when it heats up?

556Cliff
10-08-16, 11:31
What is the trade off for having the thinner, lighter barrel? Is their any difference in accuracy, especially when it heats up?

Molon's testing shows that it's not as accurate as Colt's 16" M4 barrels.

leibermuster
10-08-16, 12:24
W34531. Are you getting a 6920 or what ? Call Grant get one. Then make a youtube video about it for me.

MistWolf
10-08-16, 13:10

Colt 6920: $950.00
Colt 6720: $899.00

I believe the price of 6720 has gone up some

leibermuster
10-08-16, 14:36
Colt 6920: $950.00
Colt 6720: $899.00

I believe the price of 6720 has gone up some

With prices like that. I would have owned like 20 Colts by now along with all my other superior HKs and KACs.

Pilot1
10-08-16, 14:41
Molon's testing shows that it's not as accurate as Colt's 16" M4 barrels.

Thanks Cliff. That makes sense. My 6920 is very accurate.

556Cliff
10-08-16, 15:48
Thanks Cliff. That makes sense. My 6920 is very accurate.

Molon's testing also shows that the Colt M4A1 barrels are even more accurate than the Colt 16" M4 barrels.

I looked for a link to Molon's accuracy testing comparing these 3 barrels but I couldn't find it... Maybe someone here knows where it is and can provide a link?

williejc
10-08-16, 20:25
My local dealer told me that the 6720(in stock)lacks the chrome lined barrel. What else is different?

ST911
10-08-16, 20:30
My local dealer told me that the 6720(in stock)lacks the chrome lined barrel. What else is different?

That's incorrect.

williejc
10-08-16, 20:37
Thank you. I did a forum search on the 6720 and learned lots of good info. I've decided to buy one--if its still in the shop on Monday. If I do bring it home, I must apologize to my old school pump guns, which I truly have enjoyed for many decades.

Hapworth
10-08-16, 20:40
My local dealer told me that the 6720(in stock)lacks the chrome lined barrel. What else is different?Nothing like going to the source; Colt says the barrel is chrome lined: http://www.colt.com/Portals/0/Specs/2016/AR6720.pdf

556BlackRifle
10-09-16, 10:17
Just make sure they guy isn't trying to pawn off one of these (http://www.colt.com/Portals/0/Specs/2016/CE2000.pdf) as a 6720.

williejc
10-09-16, 14:18
Oh, no. That's what my local dealer has, and until your post, I did not know the difference. My thanks to you, sir.

556Cliff
10-09-16, 14:26
Oh, no. That's what my local dealer has, and until your post, I did not know the difference. My thanks to you, sir.

Buy one from Grant at G&R Tactical.

Arch
10-15-16, 12:30
For the money, I'd pick up a 6920. I bought a couple right after the 2004 sunset, and paid about $1250 each for them. At the current $900 range it wouldn't take much to convince me to buy TWO. Worst case: they go up in value; you have a spare "gold standard" carbine.

Arch
10-15-16, 12:34
RE: the 6720...

I greatly prefer it to the 6920 because I have no need of the extra barrel weight or 203 attachment. My wife's gun is a 6720 with: Aimpoint T1; Troy flip rear; BCM GF stock and pistol grip; MOE handguards; Scout M600C WML. Its about as perfect a carbine as we've owned. Light; accurate; reliable. I do have a LaRue MBT on order for it (the factory trigger is ... awful).