PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Tactical Advanced Pistol Marksmanship Course, 6 December, 2008

zushwa
09-09-08, 15:40

(Course Description courtesy of Tim Lau)

Eight mentally fatiguing hours on the range making each and every shot count. This course defines the technical aspects of marksmanship, specifically relating to the service pistol. Larry Vickers gives students his take on the mechanical accuracy of the service pistol, and what we can realistically expect to see in real world conditions. Students can expect extensive trigger control diagnostics, dissection of the principles of marksmanship, and challenging courses of fire that are anything but basic. This course is a unique opportunity to focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship, and further develop these skills in order to break through that next plateau.

Class requirements:
• Eye and Ear Protection (electronic hearing protection is preferred)
• Serviceable handgun of at least 9mm Para caliber
• Serviceable holster
• Minimum 1 double magazine pouch
• Minimum of 3 serviceable magazines (5 is better)
• 400 rounds of ammo – factory service type (no reloads)
• Suitable range wear depending on the season
• Good attitude
Cost: $225

http://www.greygrouptraining.biz/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=6-December

30 cal slut
09-10-08, 09:27
:eek:

NCPatrolAR
09-16-08, 20:31
I'm in!!!!

Funds will be enroute next week.

Business_Casual
09-16-08, 22:05
I will try to make time to embarrass myself again.

M_P

GLOCKMASTER
09-17-08, 20:04
I'm in. Payment going out tomorrow.

zushwa
09-17-08, 20:14
I will try to make time to embarrass myself again.M_PI smell a walk back challenge.* No smoking allowed.* I think that's your Mojo.* Tell your bald friend to stop being a dedicated dad and come on down too!!Later,

noslorob
09-18-08, 08:16
I'm all over this. I was just trying to find some training to do in Dec. Thanks,

Scott

GLOCKMASTER
09-22-08, 21:04
I'm there!!! Payment sent today.

vcpk9
09-27-08, 15:30
How far is fayetteville,NC from Richmond,VA? I would like to attend.

Robb Jensen
09-27-08, 15:41
How far is fayetteville,NC from Richmond,VA? I would like to attend.

3.5hrs and a little over 200 miles.

tjcoker
09-27-08, 16:18
I smell a walk back challenge.* No smoking allowed.* I think that's your Mojo.* Tell your bald friend to stop being a dedicated dad and come on down too!!Later,

It will be classic if Josh's dad comes out and laughs his ass off when/if he misses a shot... I still remember that about Utah.

ccmdfd
10-15-08, 13:24
E-mail sent.

rgrwilcox
10-24-08, 01:04
Are there any slots left for this?

zushwa
10-25-08, 17:35
Are there any slots left for this?

Yep. shoot me an email or give me a call.

Later,

Sproggy
10-26-08, 22:27
How close is this to being full? Would love to attend but have to wait until the 1st of November for funds.....

Business_Casual
10-27-08, 08:15
Tell your bald friend to stop being a dedicated dad and come on down too!!Later,

I did, he is.

M_P

zushwa
10-27-08, 12:34
I did, he is.

M_P

Very cool!!

There are plenty of spots left, but don't wait too long. These tend to fill up quickly as the date draws closer.

Later,

GunSlinger
10-28-08, 11:16
I smell a walk back challenge.* No smoking allowed.* I think that's your Mojo.* Tell your bald friend to stop being a dedicated dad and come on down too!!Later,

where I come from those are fightin words.
nobody calls me friend.
I'll have to dedicate myself to actually beating the Urban Pirate in a walk back

zushwa
10-28-08, 12:14
where I come from those are fightin words.
nobody calls me friend.
I'll have to dedicate myself to actually beating the Urban Pirate in a walk back

Be careful what you wish for!! :cool: :D

BrianC
11-11-08, 08:54
Josh:

I just signed up and paid for this course on the Grey Group website. I am bringing two other shooters with me. My order number is 4294.

Thanks,
Brian

zushwa
11-30-08, 16:14
OK guys, the class is next weekend. A few of you have said you are trying to clear up scheduling conflicts to attend. Just contact me via phone, email, or PM and I'll pencil you in.

There are a few of you that still need directions, hotels, strip clubs, etc. I'll get an email out today or tomorrow with that info. Worst case scenario we have a safe house with a bed or two not being used right now.

Have a good one guys. I look forward to shooting with you.

GLOCKMASTER
11-30-08, 16:57
OK guys, the class is next weekend. A few of you have said you are trying to clear up scheduling conflicts to attend. Just contact me via phone, email, or PM and I'll pencil you in.

There are a few of you that still need directions, hotels, strip clubs, etc. I'll get an email out today or tomorrow with that info. Worst case scenario we have a safe house with a bed or two not being used right now.

Have a good one guys. I look forward to shooting with you.

Josh thanks for putting this class together. I'm really looking forward to it.:)

zushwa
12-09-08, 14:08
It was great shooting with everyone. Nice to see some familiar faces. The new guys were cool too. :)

Anyone with an AAR??

Business_Casual
12-09-08, 16:14
There was a mix of shooters and backgrounds. Glocks were the majority pistol, 1911s, SIG and XD were also there.

Larry started with his version of the four rules of gun safety. We then progressed into a discussion on why pistols are more challenging to shoot than rifles. Larry also demonstrated how good trigger control means more than perfect sight alignment. Larry covered how a range can be so safe it is unsafe with a few real world examples of range habits causing tactical problems.

We worked 3 variations of the ball and dummy drill including a command fire version.

There was some lecture regarding trigger reset and a trigger reset drill. We then did a walk back drill before lunch.

I have to point out that I dropped out of the first walk back drill before Josh did. I point this out so he doesn't have to do so. :cool:

After lunch, we worked on the Siebel, the 600 point aggregate "Test", and a few other reload drills. There was another walk back.

All the drills were designed to work on/test specific accuracy and time standards. This is the fundamental, if I may make that point on LAV's behalf, emphasis of the course - accurate shots win gunfights and misses don't. That applies to all of his teaching in my opinion.

As the recent news shows, even in combat military and military contractors are held accountable for every round fired. Similarly, for civilian CCW and police in the US, it is important to hit the best backstop available, and hit it every time - the upper torso. "Every round has a lawyer attached to it" was how Larry put it.

I'm sure others will have more to add.

M_P

GLOCKMASTER
12-11-08, 20:05
Modern Pirate pretty much covered what took place in the class. With the exception of the cold start the weather for the class was almost perfect for a day of intense pistol shooting.

It was nice to see Josh again and he is no slouch with the pistol either.;)

For this class I used my G17 with MMC sights, BladeTech holster and Com Tac mag pouches.

This was my first class with Larry and I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed the class. I feel that I got my monies worth well before lunch. The drills were great and they pressed the shooter to make every shot count, which in a gun fight they should.

The walk back drills were conducted with a 12"x12" piece of steel and they were a real challenge as was about every drill in this class.

It was nice to meet and train with everyone that attended and I hope to see you guys on the range in the future.

I will close by saying that I will be back for more of LAV's classes.:cool:

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC_0830.JPG
http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/DSC_0831.JPG
http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC_0833.JPG
http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC_0836.JPG
http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC_0838.JPG
http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC_0839.JPG
http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC_0840.JPG

Larry Vickers
02-13-09, 15:37
great one day class - perfect weather and a good bunch of shooters - got to do find time to do more of these in the future

cheers

LAV