PDA

View Full Version : KAK Adjustable Buffers

geoleo3
10-06-16, 09:13
Has anyone used these in their rifles? How does it compare to the JP SCS and Taccom ultralight setups? What spring did you use to pair with the buffers?

https://www.rainierarms.com/kak-ar15-configurable-buffer-kit

Clint
10-06-16, 23:03
That's not at all like the JP or taccom setups.

It's really just a standard CAR buffer with all the possible weights from lighter than CAR to H3.

For example, once you configure is as an H2 buffer, it will function exactly the same as a regular H2 buffer; no better or worse.

geoleo3
10-06-16, 23:28
That's not at all like the JP or taccom setups.

It's really just a standard CAR buffer with all the possible weights from lighter than CAR to H3.

For example, once you configure is as an H2 buffer, it will function exactly the same as a regular H2 buffer; no better or worse.

I see the advantage of the JP SCS but a H2 version would run me $170 which is rather pricy for simply reducing sproing. Don't understand how the Taccom really works being so lightweight - wouldn't that increase recoil since you have less mass countering the bullet propulsion?

Kdubya
10-08-16, 19:40
I've been considering the KAK as well. Admittedly, I've not invested much time, or money, with spring and buffer upgrades. Maybe I'm just lucky. I've never run into a problem with one of my guns cycling properly. Add in recoil not being an issue, and I've just never seen a reason to mess with the RE innards. I remember when I first started visiting the forums, long before actually joining, the T2/H2s were all the rage. They still are well regarded by many, but the latest flavor of the month is the VLTOR A5; and similar variants.

Recently, I've been giving a buffer change some more serious consideration. I've still not had any problems, but can see the benefit of having my rifles cycle a little more smoothly. However, given that nothing's broken, I likely won't be going the A5 route. Whether it's the VLTOR or BCM, it'd end up being at least $100. Then throw in the additional cost if I want to experiment with different Buffer weights. The KAK is pretty inexpensive, doesn't require a new RE, and provides the ability to experiment with difference weights at no additional cost.

For the same $100ish dollars that would be spent on an A5 system, one could purchase the KAK Buffer, Tubbs Flat Wire Spring, and 4 different Sprinco Springs. That's roughly 45 different configurations that could be tested! If opting for the "reliability kit" offering from Sprinco, at only $2 more for each spring, you'd also end up with 4 bolt extractor springs for the spare parts bin. Once you've landed on a configuration you like, the unused buffer springs could be sold or kept for testing and use in future rifles.

I may have gotten a little off topic from the original questions, so I'll try to circle back to your sproing and lower mass points. When it comes to the sproing, I feel like the JP would be the clear winner in reducing/eliminating the noise. My uncle's got one in a home build, and it does sound different. But, as you point out, that's a hefty price tag to correct a "problem" that has practically nothing to do with function. A less expensive alternative might be the Tubbs Flat Wire spring. I always try to call out when I lack first hand knowledge, and this is one of those times. However, David Tubb addresses the reduced sproing in his technical video regarding buffer springs. His spring has less reverberation than a traditional spring, which can somewhat be seen in his video. Apparently that cuts down on the noise; which makes sense in theory. As for the reduced mass and recoil, that's also something that sort of gets addressed in Tubb's video. BCG speed and perceived recoil are a function of two things. The weight of the buffer, and the "load" of the buffer spring. With the Taccom setup, you get one fixed weight. And a weight that is markedly lighter than even a standard carbine buffer. So, I'd think the initial recoil impulse would be greater, and the impulse from the bolt returning would be lesser. Altogether, I'm guessing it'd be a net gain in recoil impulse. The intent of their product is to speed up the system, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Hence the reason they recommend only using it in conjunction with an adjustable gas system. If it's too fast, you'll end up with malfunctions and possibly more wear on your rifle. So, in the grand scheme of altering buffers and springs, the Taccom would be last on my list.

I hope that I've added some value here in the conversation. Having mentioned Tubb's video a couple of times, I'll post a link to it below. It really is quite informative, and a great starting point for someone looking to upgrade springs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMVZbrnvu8