PDA

View Full Version : My KAC 14.5" MOD 2 MLOK is finally assembled!

BallisticHarmony
10-06-16, 13:06
Had to buy the upper and lower separately since SR-15s are banned in California.
http://i68.tinypic.com/ok36df.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/dg1eg5.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2evsoeo.jpg

Then when I finally found an SR-30 lower, my FFL wouldn't take it unless it was fully disassembled by my seller for bullet button reasons. I have been debating whether or not that was entirely necessary for days.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2jaglcz.jpg

I had to assemble it myself, and since this was my first time there are some scratches on the receiver. Not really a concern to me, but still annoying. I'll add "punching pins" to the list of things I could live without. Also wasn't allowed to install the ambi mag release because California is stupid. If anyone knows a CA-legal way I can install it, lemme know.

http://i65.tinypic.com/28s2ez6.jpg

Coupled ten-rounders. Looks a little more free-state without having a 10/30 that doesn't have any utility.

http://i63.tinypic.com/ws5i02.jpg

Next up is a Micro H2, Elzetta light and possibly a sling.... But my budget's kind of shot right now and I want to learn the sights first. But I have a question:

Tried to do some function testing. With no mag inserted, uncocked hammer and the weapon on safe, the charging handle and bolt will barely budge. I've seen videos with guys charging the weapon on safe, and the only explanation I can think of is that they already flipped to semi and cocked the hammer off-camera. Trigger reset and fire controls are operational. Is everything good with my carbine?

Thank you to everyone who steered me in the right direction for this purchase. I appreciate all of the awesome advice I got from everyone here and I look forward to learning more every day!

Wake27
10-06-16, 14:16
You should be able to charge the weapon whether it's on safe or fire. Are you pulling hard enough to lock the hammer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BallisticHarmony
10-06-16, 14:38
Yes I've pulled on it pretty hard. It's not a problem at all when the hammer is cocked, but if it's on safe with an uncocked hammer there's no way that I can charge the weapon.

^Rb
10-06-16, 15:05
Painter's tape next time you're working on an $800 lower.

Wake27
10-06-16, 17:20
Wait, how is the weapon on safe without the hammer being cocked?

firefighter37
10-06-16, 17:26
Wait, how is the weapon on safe without the hammer being cocked?

I am wondering the same thing.

OP, what parts are in this gun as far as trigger and safety. It appears to be factory, but hard to tell. Also, a picture of the lower looking down without the upper installed my be helpful.

BallisticHarmony
10-06-16, 17:35
All LPK and fire controls are KAC. Pretty damn sure I installed it correctly. I'm gathering from your responses that what I thought I should be able to do is not actually a thing, and maybe it's never designed to be on Safe when uncocked.

Hammer up and semi selector:
http://i63.tinypic.com/dxo5n9.jpg

Hammer down and safe selector:
http://i66.tinypic.com/t5m3kg.jpg

ColtSeavers
10-06-16, 17:54
All LPK and fire controls are KAC. Pretty damn sure I installed it correctly. I'm gathering from your responses that what I thought I should be able to do is not actually a thing, and maybe it's never designed to be on Safe when uncocked.

Hammer up and semi selector:
http://i63.tinypic.com/dxo5n9.jpg

Hammer down and safe selector:
http://i66.tinypic.com/t5m3kg.jpg

First picture, can you rotate the safety selector to the safe position with no change to the hammer position?

BallisticHarmony
10-06-16, 17:58
Safety won't move to Safe if hammer isn't cocked.

Jwknutson17
10-06-16, 18:02
I would pull out the FCG and start over. At least to double check everything is installed properly.

firefighter37
10-06-16, 18:03
Here you said it did. I am confused.

Yes I've pulled on it pretty hard. It's not a problem at all when the hammer is cocked, but if it's on safe with an uncocked hammer there's no way that I can charge the weapon.

MegademiC
10-06-16, 18:06

That's how it should be.

Jwknutson17
10-06-16, 18:07
Do you have normal motion of the hammer with the upper off of the lower? No binding, trigger will reset, and you have full operation?

BallisticHarmony
10-06-16, 18:08
Here you said it did. I am confused.

To reiterate:

When the hammer isn't cocked, I cannot put the weapon on safe. If the weapon is on safe and the hammer still isn't cocked (through flipping the selector during a partial depression of the hammer, which I have since stopped doing), I cannot pull the charging handle.

BallisticHarmony
10-06-16, 18:09
Do you have normal motion of the hammer with the upper off of the lower? No binding, trigger will reset, and you have full operation?

Yes as far as I can tell it will pass function test. I just wasn't aware that the weapon need to be on Fire to charge it.

^Rb
10-06-16, 22:41
I just wasn't aware that the weapon need to be on Fire to charge it.

It doesn't. You fcked something up.

BallisticHarmony
10-06-16, 23:29
It doesn't. You fcked something up.

I just double-checked my FCG.... Are you sure? To clarify, once the hammer is cocked I can put the selector whichever way I want and the weapon will charge just fine. This is hammer up, safety, no charge.

Iraqgunz
10-06-16, 23:51
We also have a picture thread area. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?642-AR-Picture-Thread&p=2390827#post2390827

acrocat
10-07-16, 00:36
I have never removed the trigger from my SR-15 MOD 2 and I’m pretty sure I know how to reproduce the issue. If I push the hammer back a little bit with my thumb, it is possible to engage the safety. This isn’t a valid position and you have to intentionally massage it to make it happen. So no, you will not be able to charge your rifle after doing that because the the hammer will not go back far enough to allow this to happen when the safety is engaged. Technically the hammer isn’t all the way forward when you do this but it is almost all the way forward and if you try to move the selector to fire when it is like this and the springs are under tension, you can feel things grinding and it is obvious that something is not right when you intentionally put it in this state.

Nightstalker865
10-07-16, 06:49
With the hammer up, the selector should not be able to go on safe. Hammer down, it should move freely. This is normal function for the FCG.

Now, you should be able to run the charging handle no matter what condition the hammer is in. That's how you would cock the hammer if you were doing dry fire practice.

acrocat
10-07-16, 07:59
Perhaps someone else with an SR-15 can test this as well but just like the OP, with my KAC 2-stage nonadjustable trigger; the safety will not engage with the hammer up; however, you can push the hammer back a little and massage it just right and you can get the safety to engage when the hammer isn't locked back (it isn't really forward either when you do that). I never noticed that before reading this thread; I thought OP was doing something funky at first too. None of my Geissele or milspec triggers will do this; just my nonadjustable KAC 2-stage with the factory KAC selector. It doesn't naturally do that, you have to work it just right to make it happen.

556BlackRifle
10-07-16, 09:32
To reiterate:

When the hammer isn't cocked, I cannot put the weapon on safe. If the weapon is on safe and the hammer still isn't cocked (through flipping the selector during a partial depression of the hammer, which I have since stopped doing), I cannot pull the charging handle.

You should be able to pull the charging handle to charge or uncharge a round with the selector in safe or fire.

When the hammer isn't cocked, I cannot put the weapon on safe. This is normal.

With the lower separated from the upper and the the selector is on fire, can you manually move the hammer to the cocked position? If so, this is normal. If not, something is not right either in the assembly of the FCG or with the parts.

ETA: Can you post a pic of the underside of the upper / BCG?

mtdawg169
10-07-16, 09:37
Something very strange going on here. I'd say it's a safe bet that it has to do with the lower being completely disassembled.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

scooter22
10-07-16, 14:00
I would disassemble the FCG, and pay close attention to the orientation of springs when re-assembling.

BallisticHarmony
10-07-16, 16:36
Guys I'm pretty sure everything is organized correctly inside. I never should have even tried to charge the weapon on safe with an uncocked hammer, since that wouldn't happen unless I purposefully half-cocked the hammer to put it on safe.

NongShim
10-07-16, 17:01
Holy smokes there is massive insanity occurring.

The only issue is the desire to improperly configure the weapon. Here is the deal: the selector blocks the trigger while in the SAFE position. The front of the trigger has your sear surface which engages a notch in the hammer once the hammer is fully cocked. There is insufficient clearance for the trigger to pivot out of the way of the selector when the hammer is forward. For some crazy reason, several folks have figured out a way to half cock the hammer and rotate the selector to SAFE. This is out of the scope of the design of said parts. When you do this (which I had no idea was possible until I read this pile of crazy), you are binding the sear surface against a surface for which it was never intended to be fixed against. That is why your BCG is smashing against it and failing to fully charge.

STEP AWAY FROM THE GUNS AND CRACK PIPES. Stop fiddling with guns and forcing them into configurations the designers never intended them to be in.

This is like the morons in the military that think that GPMGs have a half cock setting and should be placed on "half cock" then on SAFE and carrier that way on patrol. Insane.

acrocat
10-07-16, 18:05
No worries. I didn't find a way to do anything new or exciting or try to charge any upper in this obviously jacked up state. I was just as surprised as everyone else to find out it can somehow be done sometimes with this trigger. Nothing more and nothing less. Clearly, it can't be good for it to do things with it that it was never designed to do. I imagine there are all kinds of ways to make a lot of things act funky if you dick with them enough. It appears likely that OP has installed his trigger correctly which was the point. :)

BallisticHarmony
10-07-16, 18:40
No worries. I didn't find a way to do anything new or exciting or try to charge any upper in this obviously jacked up state. I was just as surprised as everyone else to find out it can somehow be done sometimes with this trigger. Nothing more and nothing less. Clearly, it can't be good for it to do things with it that it was never designed to do. I imagine there are all kinds of ways to make a lot of things act funky if you dick with them enough. It appears likely that OP has installed his trigger correctly which was the point. :)

Thank you

hk_shootr
10-12-16, 06:39
OP....... would you like a manual for your SR15?
It will describe the proper operation of the safety and how it should be operated.

When all else fails.........RTFM!