PDA

View Full Version : Still having M&P9c mag retention issues

Pilgrim
09-09-08, 16:05
Last year I bought an early model M&P9c.

Mag could be released from the gun with a measured 1.5 pounds of pressure and only 1/16 of an inch travel.

Applied Google Fu to the problem. Ended up at the M&Ppistol.com site. Suggested to change out mag button that has a little #1 on it...with one that has a little #2 on it.

Called Smith, told the customer service rep the problem, he sent me a #2 marked mag button that only partially helped the problem.

Sold the gun for 1/2 it's value to a fella that will never use it.

Last week I bought another one.

Would you believe this one will drop the mag also at the slightest provocation. I am depressed...

Took the mag button out of my M&P45 (which is marked with a '2') and tried it in the offending M&P9c with only slightly improved results.

I am attempting to carry this pistol in a Maxpedetion Versi-Pack, and am having issues with the mag popping out while the gun is secured in the pack.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated as I'm attempting to commit myself to the M&P line of pistols, but the pistols are not being too cooperative

ToddG
09-09-08, 17:38
Without seeing what you're doing it's impossible to say whether it's the gun or your technique.

What is the serial number prefix of the "new" gun? If you got a NOS gun, it could be from the same production timeline as your first one. Certainly there was a period during which the guns were having that problem. My first M&P consistently starts dropping mags every 12,000 or so rounds until I replace the mag catch. Plenty of guns were far worse.

However, if you're putting the gun in the pack in such a way that pressure can be applied to the button, well ... something will press the button. It's one of those annoying compromise issues every gun design faces. The easier the mag catch is to press under stress, the easier it is to press when at ease.

Another thing you could try, depending on your hand and finger size, is reversing the mag catch. Personally, I find it easier to hit the catch with my trigger finger ... but some folks with longer fingers don't like it. Reversing the mag catch could place it somewhere (both when you shoot and when you bag the gun) less likely to cause the drops.

If it's not you (primarily determined by serial number) and using the larger #2 catch won't solve the problem, you can send the gun to Smith. If they cannot resolve the problem, they'll replace the frame which should put the problem to rest permanently if it's not a human-induced error.

ToddG
09-10-08, 00:15
Pilgrim -- If you look around on the mp-pistol.com forum you'll see some posts about how to change the magazine catch spring, replacing it with one that is stiffer & stronger. Personally, I'd rather send the gun to Smith for a check-up but if you want to go that route, it sounds simple enough.

Pilgrim
09-10-08, 00:27
Ahh very good.

Was not aware a stiffer spring was available.

Will most surely check it out.

Thanks man.