PDA

View Full Version : Troy CQB

Psalm144v1
10-09-16, 19:36
Anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with the Troy CQB SPC A3? Looking to get my first AR as a relatively new shooter (1 yr) looking to use it for home defense and range time, probably won't shoot any further than 200 yards at first, but would love to be able to shoot further with growing skill and experience. Someone recommended to get this one at a very attractive price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nightchief
10-09-16, 19:53
I looked at the rifle on on Troy's webpage. Under their specifications tab, they list out things such barrel twist, handgaurd type, etc. There is no information on the internals. They don't specify what type of material the barrel, upper, lower, RE are made from. It doesn't say if it comes with an auto or semi-auto BCG. Is the RE commercial or mil-spec sized, Etc.

There is no infomation on what sort of QC they do on the rifles components. These are things I would want to know before purchasing. Considering the price point and the lack of this information, I would have some concerns until I could verify the specs.

My $.02

NC

Benito
10-09-16, 21:26
Troy? Might as well purchase a gun from the ATF.

Hapworth
10-09-16, 22:36
Troy? Might as well purchase a gun from the ATF.The OP asked for hard facts on a specific rifle. Might as well stick to that.

Iraqgunz
10-09-16, 22:52
What kind of BCG and what is it made from?

What kind of barrel and what is it made from?

Where are all the specs?

Anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with the Troy CQB SPC A3? Looking to get my first AR as a relatively new shooter (1 yr) looking to use it for home defense and range time, probably won't shoot any further than 200 yards at first, but would love to be able to shoot further with growing skill and experience. Someone recommended to get this one at a very attractive price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ffhounddog
10-09-16, 23:12
BCG is 8620 with c158 bolt. My BCG is AR15 type, not M16 type. I use it cause it's within spec and works.

Barrel is 4150 cmv nitrated.

Milspec fcg with the SS breaks at 6.4lbs but mine is now at 5.9lbs.

Carbine buffer and milspec buffer tube 7075-6 with dry film internal tube.

I like mine and it's my favorite DI gun that is not SBR or piston. My Troy is setup with a silencerCo ASR flash hider to run my SiCo SpecWar K. My wife runs a Troy upper on top of her Colt lower at work.

Hapworth
10-10-16, 10:54
BCG is 8620 with c158 bolt. My BCG is AR15 type, not M16 type. I use it cause it's within spec and works.

Barrel is 4150 cmv nitrated.

Milspec fcg with the SS breaks at 6.4lbs but mine is now at 5.9lbs.

Carbine buffer and milspec buffer tube 7075-6 with dry film internal tube.

I like mine and it's my favorite DI gun that is not SBR or piston. My Troy is setup with a silencerCo ASR flash hider to run my SiCo SpecWar K. My wife runs a Troy upper on top of her Colt lower at work.Certainly those are specs are one would look for (among others); are they confirmed and how so?

joeyjoe
10-10-16, 12:37
I have, in the past, spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Troy, attempting to pin down the precise barrel steel used in Troy rifles...to no avail. There may be a couple of models where they state, definitively, the materials used, but most Troy rifles are complete unknowns. I was interested in the new Troy XM177E2 and GAU-5 rifles. No one associated with the company was able to tell me any of the specs, concerning the aforementioned rifles. The majority of Troy rifles do not sport 4150 CMV barrels.
I don't own anything but Colt and BCM. I decided to swerve out of that lane and jump on one of the Troy XM177E2s. You can look at my review by using the search function on this site. Long story short, the Troy XM177E2 that i received was completely unacceptable and that rifle went back to Troy for a full refund. The problems were grave and concerning. The shittiest QC around would have caught the issues in my former rifle. They were clearly banking on the customer knowing nothing about AR's, as that is the only scenario in which such a rifle wouldn't be rejected. Doesn't inspire confidence when the customer is having to teach the tech guy about his own rifle. I learned my lesson...no longer veering out of the Colt/BCM et al. lane. Based on my personal experience, i would suggest staying away from Troy rifles.

ffhounddog
10-10-16, 13:28
LSL tour, booth at AUSA, talked with a few trainers that run their rifles now and past, and talking with Troy. My barrel says 4150cmv.

Bolt does have "mp"on it.

Vegasshooter
10-10-16, 14:09
^^^^Glad you were able to glean that info. I hope, for your sake, it is accurate. I was not able to get that info. I e-mailed a rep from the company who gave me his card at SHOT Show in 2015. I asked him the specifics on barrel steel, BCG steel, bolt steel, batch tested or individual HPT/MPI, etc. I got nothing back. There is not a chance I could recommend a Troy rifle to anyone I know. Too many great companies that state, print, and guarantee their specs and rifles to gamble on an unknown. I will stick with known products from BCM, Colt, Sionics, and even DD.

joeyjoe
10-10-16, 14:19
^^^^Glad you were able to glean that info. I hope, for your sake, it is accurate. I was not able to get that info. I e-mailed a rep from the company who gave me his card at SHOT Show in 2015. I asked him the specifics on barrel steel, BCG steel, bolt steel, batch tested or individual HPT/MPI, etc. I got nothing back. There is not a chance I could recommend a Troy rifle to anyone I know. Too many great companies that state, print, and guarantee their specs and rifles to gamble on an unknown. I will stick with known products from BCM, Colt, Sionics, and even DD.

^ my experience and sentiments, exactly.

noonesshowmonkey
10-10-16, 18:21
I purchased a Troy carbine after doing some research. Spoke with a sales rep, an engineer via the phone, and e-mailed one of their gunsmiths, and got back consistent answers re: the materials. The bolt is milspec (8620 carrier with carpenter 158 bolt) but in an AR-15 configuration. The staking was good. Everything on the rifle was tight and within spec. The barrel is 4150 CMV and nitrided with midlength gas. The barrel has been consistent and accurate. Milspec buffer tube with a carbine buffer. The lower is 7075, and the only error in the whole shebang was a missing pin in the trigger guard, which was weird, but an easy fix.

I have zero experience with their other lines, such as their GAU5 or XM177E2 remakes. I've only the one, a Troy Carbine, and it has been a great rifle. For the price I paid ($600 for a contract over-run gun), you absolutely couldn't find anything even remotely close in terms of quality. If what they are peddling these days is the same stuff, they are good to go.