PDA

View Full Version : I want to replace my BDU pants

Rattler5
10-10-16, 05:09
Can anyone give me an alternative to BDU pants (Even thought they are the perfect pants for me and I know lots of other guys love them too!). I have 3 pairs, but as I am not military or former military, I want to change my choice of cargo pants (I do not care for 5.11 stuff). Also because I sort of feel like a poser wearing them. Plus I have a tan maxpedition backpack which adds to the poser look (And the Condor II is the perfect backpack for me).

travistheone
10-10-16, 08:07
I am wearing TAD Gear jeans. hundred bucks, made in America. Great quality and you don't look like a halloween costume.

pistol and rifle mag pockets (hidden).

check em out.

pointblank4445
10-10-16, 10:16
Check out some of the Rail Rider offerings. You can get traditional pants or cargo type that have more of an outdoorsy/hiker look to them. I love mine and they have replaced my jeans for most day-to-day wear. I also really like they Arcteryx Xfunctional pants (wish I had more than one pair); they are better for mixing in with the bus-cas docker crowd and not looking like a complete tool.

Hmac
10-10-16, 10:36
I'm a big fan of the Prana Zion pants. Very flexible, don't wrinkle, very durable and scratch/scuff resistant. I also like the Gander Mountain Guide series. Nice pants at half the price, but then do tend to wrinkle just a little bit more. I abandoned BDU-style cargo pants when I came across the Pranas.

Zim
10-10-16, 11:36
Kuhl has some nice offerings as well.

HCrum87hc
10-10-16, 12:43
Kuhl has some nice offerings as well.

I love my Kuhl pants and shorts. They're a great value if you can find them on sale.

SFree
10-11-16, 05:45
When I"m not in my Carharts I wear Vertx. They're lightweight, comfy, breathable, and nice pockets with cargo's that neither button or have hook n loop...

slowlowmiata
10-11-16, 09:03
I know you said you don't like 5.11 and I agree their base pant, the tac lite , kind of sucks. Check out the stryke version. They look less tacticool, have a better cut, and are made with a better fabric blend. I wear them most days at work and have gotten at least 3 years off the pairs I have

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

Vandal
10-11-16, 13:16
I am a huge fan of Vertx and the above mentioned 5.11 Stryke pants. I have both and they are fantastic, though my preference is the Vertx for the cargo pockets. I used them as range and outdoor pants.

My daily wear though are still Lucky jeans. Dress for the environment you live in to blend in.

HighDesert
10-11-16, 14:04
I live in Tru spec 24/7s shorts and the pants are just as good.

I literally rotate 5 pairs and don't really wear anything else.

They are phenomenal and have help up extremely well.

lee1000
10-11-16, 20:32
Check out Diamond Gusset jeans, they're American made, affordable and very comfortable for concealed carry.

Buckaroo
10-11-16, 21:09
I am a huge fan of Vertx and the above mentioned 5.11 Stryke pants. I have both and they are fantastic, though my preference is the Vertx for the cargo pockets. I used them as range and outdoor pants.

My daily wear though are still Lucky jeans. Dress for the environment you live in to blend in.
I 2nd the Vertx pants and shorts as a civilian. Great design & durability with a reasonable price

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HCrum87hc
10-12-16, 12:04
Check out Diamond Gusset jeans, they're American made, affordable and very comfortable for concealed carry.

Diamond Gusset does make nice jeans. They're very comfortable, and so far they're holding up well. Their customer service is also incredible.

Hound
10-12-16, 13:49
I live in Tru spec 24/7s shorts and the pants are just as good.

I literally rotate 5 pairs and don't really wear anything else.

They are phenomenal and have help up extremely well.

2nd this. I am still on the hunt for the perfect pants, but the 24/7s have been filling that role for the time being. Cost is reasonable and I find them a great improvement on BDUs. Before finding the 24/7s I was relatively pleased with 5.11s. Much better implementation of elastic waistband on the 24/7s. The tru specs come in both cargo and non cargo configurations depending on preference. I have both and award each with high marks.

Warning: fit is generous and intended for guys who don't skip leg days. If you are looking for a more modern/ slim-fit pant, you will not be happy. If you like your boys to breathe, you will appreciate the spacious fit.

jpmuscle
10-12-16, 14:28
2nd this. I am still on the hunt for the perfect pants, but the 24/7s have been filling that role for the time being. Cost is reasonable and I find them a great improvement on BDUs. Before finding the 24/7s I was relatively pleased with 5.11s; I find the 24/7s to blow the 5.11s out of the water. Much better implementation of elastic waistband on the 24/7s. The try specs come in both cargo and non cargo configurations depending on preference. I have both and award each with high marks.

Warning: fit is generous and intended for guys who don't skip leg days. If you are looking for a more modern/ hipster/ skinny pant, you will not be happy. If you like your boys to breathe, you will appreciate the spacious fit.
Are you guys rocking the Lite version or regular cotton?

Hound
10-12-16, 15:34

I tend to prefer the lite cotton/poly blend version. They dry faster and are obviously lighter weight.

Trixxterr
10-12-16, 16:52
My only pair of bdu's, left from the army are in need or replacing. Good to know there are options out there. Thanks.

remington79
10-20-16, 22:51
I wear the Wrangler Riggs work pants. They're roomy and the cargo pockets will hold a 32 ounce Gatorade bottle. The hammer loop helps throw off any notions of a tac pant. https://www.wrangler.com/shop/men-collections-riggs-workwear/wrangler-riggs-workwear-ripstop-ranger-pant?variationId=3W060BR

Rattler5
10-21-16, 01:30
I may be getting the Vertx sometime in the future. I really tire of the the tool look from the BDU pants.

Jewell
10-21-16, 04:58
I wear the Under Armour Tac Patrol II Pants every day to work. They are polyester, but almost feel like a cotton to me. They have the big belt loops that I like, are water repellant, dry super fast, and are rip stop. The waist line in these pants is a thing of beauty. Soft and flexible. In my eyes, the only downside to these are that if you get lit on fire, they are going to melt to your damn skin.

Black_Sheep
10-22-16, 09:13
Duluth Trading offers pants that are well made, comfortable and available with or without cargo pockets. The "Fire Hose" pants are my favorite...

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/mens-pants.aspx

26 Inf
10-22-16, 12:59
For the most part I abandoned the 5.11/BDU type pants about a decade ago. My go to pants for the range/training are Wolverine and Dickies (green cotton duck) and Wrangler/Riggs technician pants. I cut the hammer loop off the Wolverines, the others don't have one. All fit my activities on the range. I had to have a bursa sack removed from my right knee, as a result I don't kneel on the range without kneepads or a mat, so double knees are not an issue. The Dickies and Wrangler/Riggs Technicians have a built in cell phone pocket, which hold a 30 round mag just fine for impromptu reload drills, as do the Wolverine carpenter pants. The Wrangler/Riggs Technicians also have a tape measure/knife leather patch on the front right side pocket. The caveat to this is that I'm a lefty so the right hand side location for the cell phone and 'carpenter pockets' is ideal for me.

Cabella's is where I found my first pair of Technicians, they only sold green and khaki, I looked the other day and the Wrangler site has two other colors.

I also wear Duluth Firehose pants, sans cargo pockets, they are good to go IMO. About all I wear on motorcycles.

Outlander Systems
10-24-16, 03:46
The NYCO blend for me. They dry a lot faster, and I am known to be a sweaty sumbitch.

Great pants.

militarymoron
10-24-16, 10:56
VERTX for a more low-profile pant that doesn't scream 'tactical'.

Cold Pizza
11-18-16, 14:55
Just about anything Cabelas brand for me, from the cheap cotton pants up to the spandexy ones. Great value at every price point.

tacoops
12-06-16, 11:53
I have been wearing 4 pairs of 24/7s for three years now. I can't give them up. I have a couple pairs of vertx pants I wear too. I want to switch to jeans and I would if I could find some with a knife pocket like the 24/7's.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-06-16, 13:39
Duluth Trading offers pants that are well made, comfortable and available with or without cargo pockets. The "Fire Hose" pants are my favorite...

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/mens-pants.aspx

I find the Duluth pants to have fairly small pockets. That is what I really like about my 5.11 Tactical Pants is the rear pockets that I can dump stuff. The Duluth firehose material is excellent though. I wish 5.11 had the Tactical pants in a non cargo pocket, or hidden pockets.

ETA: That MEN'S 24-7 SERIES® VECTOR PANTS might be what I'm looking for.

RioGrandeGreen
12-06-16, 23:14
I recommend the Vertx Phantom LT 2.0. Nice and light, comfy. Just order a size up in waist if you carry IWB. All around great pant except maybe for winter. Very low profile.

Carry and stay safe
RGGreen

HighDesert
12-07-16, 07:55
I have been wearing 4 pairs of 24/7s for three years now. I can't give them up. I have a couple pairs of vertx pants I wear too. I want to switch to jeans and I would if I could find some with a knife pocket like the 24/7's.

I having been wearing their shorts pretty much every day for a while now - my only gripe is that I find the knife pocket a tad too tight for most of my knives!

Other than that, they are perfection.