PDA

View Full Version : Soooo Noveske??..

p8ntball4dummies
10-10-16, 19:08
I have a lot of time behind DD and BCM rifles, but have the opportunity to get my hands on a like new Noveske Rogue Hunter 16". Can't find any weight specs and mostly reading about it being a great dedicated predator rifle. Any reviews/input on if this would be a good hard use range gun/carbine classes rifle, or just better off leaving this one for hunting?? Thanks for any info!!

Wake27
10-10-16, 19:25
I don't have any experience with any stainless barrels, so this is just opinion: I love Noveske, my first AR was a factory Noveske as is my current primary, so I am pretty biased towards them. However, I have decided that there really isn't anything they do, IMO, better than BCM except for make a gorgeous gun with their Gen III receivers. You pay for that in money and weight though. Both Noveskes I've used have been finicky with seating a full mag on a closed bolt and dropping mags free. M3 PMAGs are the only perfect mags I've come across for a Noveske lower so far. Unless the price is almost on par with a similar BCM, I'd put the money to better use. However, like I said, I have no experience with either stainless, so I'd check out Molon's thread here. I think he has at least one each for Noveske and BCM stainless. They really were known for their barrels after all.

p8ntball4dummies
10-10-16, 19:29
Okay thanks! I will look into his info. I am getting a really good deal on it so as far as value goes, it's beyond fair. More concerned with will it provide ANY advantages over a DD for hard range uses.

Skyyr
10-10-16, 20:10
It'll come down to cost. Noveske makes a great rifle. I've owned several and they've been great shooters. The only functional thing you might care about is their use of billet receivers over forged, but their Rogue Hunter series typically uses their older forged receivers, so you're probably good there. Other than that, again, their rifles are excellent. Their stainless barrels usually shoot sub-MOA and are typically very consistent.

The main detraction to them is that they've gone up in cost whereas most other manufacturers have maintained or dropped their cost. Considering what you typically pay for one new, it becomes hard to justify nearly $2k-3k for their rifle builds when you can get a BCM or Colt for half the cost; or you can get a KAC with ambidextrous controls and a bolt with a 20k+ round life for the same price or less (depending on which models you're comparing). Trading or buying used, that's less of a concern.

It sounds like you might have a good deal, so if you like it, jump on it. Keep in mind that the AR market is saturated, though, and depending on the configuration of the Rogue Hunter you're looking at, it might not really be that great of a deal. If it's their current model Rogue Hunter, I would have a hard time paying or trading more than $1300 for a used one (more than that and you could buy a new BCM in pretty much any configuration you'd like). They're beautiful rifles and typically very accurate, but at the end of the day, they're just an AR with a nice barrel and cool rollmark. Don't overpay/over-trade for it.

That's my .02

tvfreakarms
10-11-16, 01:54
I don't get why their lowers are so expensive.
Theres nothing special per say if u compared it to pof lower. At least you get cool features. Imo pof lowers are better.
But I'm sure there are other lowers cheaper but the same quality.
Plus doesn't some of these lowers are made buy the same company?
Not knocking noveske and I'm not a fan boy of pof lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

elephant
10-11-16, 02:02
I have a few Noveskes. One thing I will say is that they are top tier AR's. A little pricey for direct impingement rifles but at the same time, your not buying a mass produced rifle. Noveske buys 80% of the individual parts from suppliers and do the finishing in house. They do tend to be a little on the heavy side and even so if you have a stainless barrel. When I first got a N4 Infidel, I loved the trigger, ALG ACT, single stage, smooth and crisp. In fact I had purchased a Geissele SSA and a S3G because of how many people spoke so highly of them and I was less than pleased. I felt that the ALG ACT was a better trigger and especially that its price is less than $80. Noveske rifles include Raptor ambi charging handles, NSR Keymod Rails (most models), RCA black Nitride BCG, Magpul furniture, Troy flip up sights and a decent muzzle device/flash hider.

A couple of things to take in to consideration. If you ever change barrels and have a NSR Keymod rail, the barrel nut is extremely difficult to align properly when trying to attach the rail at torque. The mag well is flared, and that prevents from using an X Products drum, Magpul drum, C More, Beta drums etc. I do think Noveske rifles are machine matched, for whatever reason, the upper and lower fit perfectly and it can be hard putting my 6920 upper on my Noveske lower or vise versa- your experience could vary.

As far as price goes, this is usually when everyone will point out that you can have the same thing for a lot less if you buy a BCM. People buy Harleys knowing that Honda offers 0% financing, better warranty, road side assistance and a 10 year maintenance plan. But its not a Harley. There is a market for $2500 guns, Noveske, LWRC, USM4, Barrett, ADCOR, VLTOR but most AR manufactures stick to the $1000-1500 market like Colt, FN, SIG, BCM, S&W etc. But most people will buy a $1300 gun and invest $500 in furniture, rails, BCG, charging handles, triggers etc. If you look at how Noveske markets themselves, you will see that they do not market as a tactical company, they feature men and women between the ages of 24-35 who like the outdoors that want a great gun. They teamed up with Silencerco and created a lot of videos and I actually liked that they created a different vibe that anyone could own there product. The gun store where I buy everything is actually a distributor for Noveske and they say that they sell more Noveskes to younger people.

KalashniKEV
10-11-16, 09:22
Chalk it up to psychosomatic effect, but my Noveske's all outperform my BCMs. Stainless or Standard.

IMO, Noveske is a class above BCM. It's a boutique rifle.
(...or it used to be, my 3 are all Johnny-era)

Pappabear
10-11-16, 09:28
The great thing about Noveske is their barrels. If your getting a smoking deal, buy it. It should perform well as a hard use AR. Their QC is a pinch above the norm. When you buy top tier you increase the probability you will get a great gun.

All that being said, there are plenty of excellent rifles so buy what you want. If your getting a smoking deal, buy it and shoot it often.

PB.

Eurodriver
10-11-16, 09:34
My only Noveske was a stainless 300BLK bought early 2012. That thing would literally put my handloads where the crosshair was at 100 yards. I've never seen anything like it, and I firmly believe if the caliber was something like 6.5G it would have been sub MOA beyond 800 yards.

But I won't buy another one - their prices are custom built Krieger money.

3ACR_Scout
10-11-16, 09:59
The mag well is flared, and that prevents from using an X Products drum, Magpul drum, C More, Beta drums etc.

I have a Gen II lower that I'm slowly assembling - my first build, so I'm reading, watching videos, and learning as I go. The Magpul D-60 seats just fine in the flared mag well. It was one of the first things I tried after installing the magazine catch. I would bet that was one of the things that Magpul tested during the D-60 design process, and I would have thought a Gen III would fit the same way.

I wanted one Noveske as an example of their quality and the flared mag well design, but I sought out a Gen II for the extra strength of the forged lower. The stripped lower wasn't cheap, but I'm taking my time buying parts to spread out the cost. It was just something I wanted to have. I'm not even sure what final configuration I'm going for - I'm just building the lower for now with Colt and BCM parts and an SSA.

Dave

Wake27
10-11-16, 13:22
Yeah I thought I remembered reading that the Magpul drum worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

556BlackRifle
10-11-16, 13:48

I tried one at the range one day and it worked fine on my Gen III but my Gen I was at home in the safe so no info on that.

jerrysimons
10-11-16, 13:48
Chalk it up to psychosomatic effect, but my Noveske's all outperform my BCMs. Stainless or Standard.

IMO, Noveske is a class above BCM. It's a boutique rifle.
(...or it used to be, my 3 are all Johnny-era)

Here, here to the glory days! Glad I got Gen 2 stuff while it was out. I am still partial to Noveske barrels though. Everything else off the Gen 3 stuff, well I would rather roll my own at this point. The NSR is a great rail and was ground breaking at the time but the industry has advanced.

3ACR_Scout
10-11-16, 13:56

I think I posted about it in the D-60 thread the same day I received my drum in the mail. I was concerned based on the fit issues with early Gen II lowers and PMAGs, but I bought a later production lower, so everything seems to work fine.

Dave

WS6
10-11-16, 14:27
I have a lot of time behind DD and BCM rifles, but have the opportunity to get my hands on a like new Noveske Rogue Hunter 16". Can't find any weight specs and mostly reading about it being a great dedicated predator rifle. Any reviews/input on if this would be a good hard use range gun/carbine classes rifle, or just better off leaving this one for hunting?? Thanks for any info!!

I'd pass, personally.

Owned 2 Noveske rifles. Own 0 now, won't own anymore, and mine were from when John was still alive, even.

Falar
10-11-16, 14:28
Here, here to the glory days! Glad I got Gen 2 stuff while it was out. I am still partial to Noveske barrels though. Everything else off the Gen 3 stuff, well I would rather roll my own at this point. The NSR is a great rail and was ground breaking at the time but the industry has advanced.

When they were newer and still available 8 years ago (**** time flies) I had one of their 21" heavy .308 barrels. Shot like a dream.

Stickman
10-11-16, 17:00
will it provide ANY advantages over a DD for hard range uses.

No, a lighter weight SS barrel is not going to be the best of choices for a hard use range gun. A lighter weight semi-precision rifle? Sure. A setup for hunting? Absolutely. A hard use training/ range blaster weapon? Nope.

RHINOWSO
10-11-16, 17:02
I'm glad I have one complete Noveske, but it'll remain the only one.

tom12.7
10-11-16, 17:57
No, a lighter weight SS barrel is not going to be the best of choices for a hard use range gun. A lighter weight semi-precision rifle? Sure. A setup for hunting? Absolutely. A hard use training/ range blaster weapon? Nope.
This.

Ratfink
10-11-16, 19:01
I have a noveske afghan that I bought when they came out whenever that was and I have a newer one as well so I have two. There qc and customer service is great. But so is Bcm and DD just had the best customer service of my life with DD

Is my Afghan accurate Yes very,but they aren't doing anything that others are not doing. I don't see the increased price having any impact on the performance of the rifle.

If you want one then get it. I have guns I just wanted and paid a premium for but I'm glad I have them.