PDA

View Full Version : Bad experience with ALG Lower Parts Kit

alx01
10-11-16, 12:42
Hi All,

Just wanted to post my negative experience with ALG Lower Parts Kit and their customer service I had some time ago. I came to know ALG from their AK triggers (which are excellent in my opinion with minor fitting required).

Since I'm fairly new to AR platform I wanted to get a good quality lower parts kit from a reputable company and decided to go with ALG and their ACT Trigger. I was considering a BCM LPK as well, but wasn't sure on their PNT trigger at first (wrong assumption which I came to regret).

At the time ALG didn't have LPK with ACT in the same package and I ordered both items separately on the same order (and therefore paid slightly more). ACT Trigger was just fine, but their lower parts kit was missing two parts and had some extra spring which didn't belong in LPK.

Because this was my first lower built I wanted to make sure I got all the correct parts and in spec (therefore the reason of ordering ALG in the first place vs a cheaper kit). Having two missing parts and especially one extra part got me really (and I mean really) concerned. I suspected that LPK might be out of spec or factory second. I contacted ALG regarding this issue and wanted them to have the whole kit replaced.

Basically the reply I got was - we can send you two missing parts or you can return the items at your own shipping cost. They didn't even offer to exchange this LPK or pay for the return shipping. They also said that items must not have been installed. This might be fine in most cases, but since I suspected LPK to be a factory second (or out of spec) I had no choice but to send it back at my own shipping cost. I kept the ALG trigger though although I was so annoyed with the customer experience that I wanted to send it back as well.

A few days later I've ordered a basic LPK from Aero Precision - all parts were of great quality. Aero Precision LPK was installed without issues along with the ACT Trigger.

Quite frankly I'm very disappointed with ALG's quality control and customer service. Next time I'll definitely be going with BCM LPK - should have a better quality, customer service for sure, and a better price when you take into account LPK, Trigger, Trigger guard, and a grip.

Regards,
Alex.

P.S.: I've decided to post this review here to let people know my experience. I've ordered from ALG before and haven't had any issues. I truly believe that company's customer service shows when you have issues with their products and how they address it. In this case ALG didn't do a good job in my opinion. I've also tried to post an objective and true review about a few missing parts on ALG LPK's web page, but as one might expect my review was not approved for posting. I also don't appreciate them trying to hide issues with their products from potential customers.

Hapworth
10-11-16, 12:47
I'm not following -- how do you go from two missing items in a LPK to suspecting the kit's factory seconds and out of spec?

tonyxcom
10-11-16, 12:49
I suspected that LPK might be out of spec or factory second. I contacted ALG regarding this issue and wanted them to have the whole kit replaced.

Having them send the missing parts like they wanted would have solved your problem. Sending the entire kit back because you suspect it might be factory seconds or out of spec was ridiculous and unreasonable.

ggammell
10-11-16, 12:49
Hi All,

Just wanted to post my negative experience with ALG Lower Parts Kit and their customer service I had some time ago. I came to know ALG from their AK triggers (which are excellent in my opinion with minor fitting required).

Since I'm fairly new to AR platform I wanted to get a good quality lower parts kit from a reputable company and decided to go with ALG and their ACT Trigger. I was considering a BCM LPK as well, but wasn't sure on their PNT trigger at first (wrong assumption which I came to regret).

At the time ALG didn't have LPK with ACT in the same package and I ordered both items separately on the same order (and therefore paid slightly more). ACT Trigger was just fine, but their lower parts kit was missing two parts and had some extra spring which didn't belong in LPK.

Because this was my first lower built I wanted to make sure I got all the correct parts and in spec (therefore the reason of ordering ALG in the first place vs a cheaper kit). Having two missing parts and especially one extra part got me really (and I mean really) concerned. I suspected that LPK might be out of spec or factory second. I contacted ALG regarding this issue and wanted them to have the whole kit replaced.

Basically the reply I got was - we can send you two missing parts or you can return the items at your own shipping cost. They didn't even offer to exchange this LPK or pay for the return shipping. They also said that items must not have been installed. This might be fine in most cases, but since I suspected LPK to be a factory second (or out of spec) I had no choice but to send it back at my own shipping cost. I kept the ALG trigger though although I was so annoyed with the customer experience that I wanted to send it back as well.

A few days later I've ordered a basic LPK from Aero Precision - all parts were of great quality. Aero Precision LPK was installed without issues along with the ACT Trigger.

Quite frankly I'm very disappointed with ALG's quality control and customer service. Next time I'll definitely be going with BCM LPK - should have a better quality, customer service for sure, and a better price when you take into account LPK, Trigger, Trigger guard, and a grip.

Regards,
Alex.

P.S.: I've decided to post this review here to let people know my experience. I've ordered from ALG before and haven't had any issues. I truly believe that company's customer service shows when you have issues with their products and how they address it. In this case ALG didn't do a good job in my opinion. I've also tried to post an objective and true review about a few missing parts on ALG LPK's web page, but as one might expect my review was not approved for posting. I also don't appreciate them trying to hide issues with their products from potential customers.

They addressed the missing parts by saying we will send them to you. You didn't like that option. They said you can return the whole thing on your duke because we've offered you a corrective course of action and chosen it to take it. Get a grip dude.

alx01
10-11-16, 13:00
This is a normal assumption from a novice person to have a set replaced if you suspect an issue with it. I'm not experienced enough to say if certain parts are out of spec, but having two missing parts and especially one extra part (which didn't belong there), as I said, lead me to believe that this was either factory second or didn't go through a proper QC.

If you think that they've done a good job regarding this matter that's your personal opinion. I'm simply posting my experience.

mjpgolf1
10-11-16, 13:01
I know it's always frustrating when an item doesn't show up as described or missing parts. That said it sounds like they offered a resolve and you declined. it sounds like they did what most companies would do which was correct the issue by sending out the missing parts. You have to understand that most companies have to be cautious with returns as well because lots of people try to take advantage of them as well. I'm sorry you had an issue to begin with but you also had an opportunity to accept the missing parts and resolve the problem.

SteveL
10-11-16, 13:09
What two parts were missing?

While I agree it's frustrating that parts were missing, IMO it's quite a stretch to assume the whole kit is bad because someone accidentally packaged it wrong. I think you would have been better off letting them send you the parts like they offered to do.

Wake27
10-11-16, 13:16
Yeah I have to agree with everyone else. I think your expectations were a little high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyLate
10-11-16, 13:29
I bought a QMS LPK direct from ALG. The kit components appeared to be high quality, there were no missing parts, and the LPK installed without issue. After 6 months or so, the safety felt a little "mushy". I removed and inspected the safety parts and noticed the detent was very worn. I emailed ALG, sent a pic, and received 2 new detents in the mail a couple days later. No charge, no fuss. I will definitely buy from ALG again in the future.
Andy

alx01
10-11-16, 13:55
Yeah I have to agree with everyone else. I think your expectations were a little high.

When is accepting inferior products and customer service has become a norm?

Basic counting is taught to kids in preschool. It's one of the first skills a human learns. How can anyone defend a mature company (any company) or individual for the lack of basic QC which does not verify a part count?

In my experience Aero Precision did it right, BCM probably does it right - so basic counting and QC are not impossible to do. Semiconductor companies rely on millions (50-100M) of transistors working together in a special order on a chip - they obviously can do it.

IMHO replacing (I mean replacing and not sending a second set for free) a cheap set of parts ($50) for the existing repeating customer is the least a company can do.

What two parts were missing?

Missing parts were: mag release and safety selector detent.

alx01
10-11-16, 13:57
I bought a QMS LPK direct from ALG. The kit components appeared to be high quality, there were no missing parts, and the LPK installed without issue. After 6 months or so, the safety felt a little "mushy". I removed and inspected the safety parts and noticed the detent was very worn. I emailed ALG, sent a pic, and received 2 new detents in the mail a couple days later. No charge, no fuss. I will definitely buy from ALG again in the future.
Andy

Now at least I know what happened to missing parts from my kit :D :D :D

tonyxcom
10-11-16, 14:06

Basic counting is taught to kids in preschool. It's one of the first skills a human learns. How can anyone defend a mature company (any company) or individual for the lack of basic QC which does not verify a part count?

In my experience Aero Precision did it right, BCM probably does it right - so basic counting and QC are not impossible to do. Semiconductor companies rely on millions (50-100M) of transistors working together in a special order on a chip - they obviously can do it.

You've bought 2 parts kits and all of a sudden you can speak to several companies QC standards? Stop being so obtuse and ridiculous.

Missing a mag release and selector detent does not mean your bolt catch is out of spec. The solution to your problem was having them send you the missing parts, which it sounds like they quickly offered.

When has throwing a hissy fit over the best solution to you problem become the norm?

Shit happens.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4481604/forum-pics/bcm-hat.jpg

alx01
10-11-16, 14:18
That's funny about the hat. A bit disappointing, but funny nonetheless. If I paid for the hat would I expect BCM to replace it or send me the letters separately in the correct order? Judging by replies from people here they would definitely want the latter.

556BlackRifle
10-11-16, 14:22
Hey Alx, firstly - welcome to M4C.

Secondly, this kind of thing happens sometimes. I've had it happen twice and I'm sure that anyone here who has built more than a few ARs has also. The company sent me the missing parts and all was fine.

I wouldn't sweat it. Just let them make it right by sending the missing parts and get out and shoot your rifle.

tonyxcom
10-11-16, 14:27
That's funny about the hat. A bit disappointing, but funny nonetheless. If I paid for the hat would I expect BCM to replace it or send me the letters separately in the correct order? Judging by replies from people here they would definitely want the latter.

Your ridiculousness, knows no bounds.

I bet if you were out to dinner with your family and your steak came over-cooked you'd send everyones food back and demand a refund.

WS6
10-11-16, 14:29
Having them send the missing parts like they wanted would have solved your problem. Sending the entire kit back because you suspect it might be factory seconds or out of spec was ridiculous and unreasonable.

Hell, G&R wouldn't even send me the missing parts, at least ALG was willing to do that, OP!

scooter22
10-11-16, 14:36
Hell, G&R wouldn't even send me the missing parts, at least ALG was willing to do that, OP!

Uh oh...

WS6
10-11-16, 14:49
Uh oh...

Oh, I've posted about it, PM'ed Grant, called G&R, E-mailed G&R, FB messaged G&R, On a couple of occasions they said they would put the missing parts in the mail, and blamed "those union workers..." at Colt (It was a Colt LPK). In the end, I just decided to stop doing business with G&R, and ordered the parts I was missing from Brownells, and so forgot about it until I saw this LPK thread, which pissed me off all over again.

AndyLate
10-11-16, 15:15
Now at least I know what happened to missing parts from my kit :D :D :D
When you said you were missing a detent I had the same thought lol

Leaveammoforme
10-11-16, 16:04
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4481604/forum-pics/bcm-hat.jpg

I'd rock the f outta that hat.

RazorBurn
10-11-16, 16:18

IMHO replacing (I mean replacing and not sending a second set for free) a cheap set of parts ($50) for the existing repeating customer is the least a company can do.

Missing parts were: mag release and safety selector detent.

Ok, how do you know or can you prove it was an "inferior product or factory second"? Second, I say this assuming you're not the Borg and still human, have you ever made a mistake or missed something? That's called being human. They owed you a mag release and a safety selector detent which you state they offered you. You refused a reasonable and potential successful resolution to this and you refused. You don't have a complaint. You're upset that they didn't cave into your unjustified demands.

Now, if they had refused to send you the missing parts you would have a leg to stand on.

MegademiC
10-11-16, 16:23

If you ordered a hat kit all separate and they sent you 'b' 'c' and an extractor, would you assume the hat is of inferior construction and request a new kit, or could they send you the 'm'? That's a better analogy. The hat is assembled, your kit is not.

You could have asked here for advice before shipping on your own dime since you're a novice. I don't see the issue with ALGs response.

And I suggest you refrain from jumping all over them about counting and it being kindergarden stuff. People make mistakes, engineers, doctors, pros of all sorts. They offered to make it right and you post here complaining because it wasn't how you wanted? Sometimes it costs a little money to have it your way.

tonyxcom
10-11-16, 16:41

I traded my buddy my perfectly good copy of the same hat for that upside down one.

ColtSeavers
10-11-16, 16:55

Same here!

Regarding the OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs

dmd08
10-11-16, 16:56
C'mon people, OP is right and every other person responding in this thread is wrong.

Stickman
10-11-16, 17:02
You had a LPK missing two parts, when the company stated they would send you the missing parts, you declined, and somehow ALG is at fault. Did I understand this correctly?

ColtSeavers
10-11-16, 17:05
You had a LPK missing two parts, when the company stated they would send you the missing parts, you declined, and somehow ALG is at fault. Did I understand this correctly?

You missed the OP's ability to deduce that the LPK was therefore factory seconds and/or out of spec as well.

Hapworth
10-11-16, 17:42
You missed the OP's ability to deduce that the LPK was therefore factory seconds and/or out of spec as well.Precisely, "out of spec" deduced from pieces missing -- by a self-described novice. Two-plus-two equals duck.

At best, someone who has unrealistic expectations. Otherwise, well, first time poster with stubbornly unreasonable complaints against an established quality vendor followed by repeat plugs for Aero (and tepid "maybe"s for BCM). Just sayin'...

NWcityguy2
10-11-16, 18:00
I'm not going to jump on the OP, but... Even if they were selling factory second parts as kits, they would still need to sell the correct parts. A kit that's missing parts doesn't meet the definition of a second, by anyone's standards.

sed
10-11-16, 18:43
This is hilarious.
- When do two missing parts make you suspect the LPK is "out of spec or factory second" as stated in post #1? What led you to jump to this conclusion?
- Two parts missing and now you expect ALG to give you a second LPK for free? How is that rational? Put yourself in the manufacturers shoes, how do they know you're not trying to cheat them? Not saying you are, but it's a goodwill gesture on their end to simply even offer to send you the two missing parts that weren't in your kit.
- Post #10 now your claiming "inferior products & customer service? Interesting...short a couple parts...QC issue maybe, but product quality isn't even part of the equation here. And inferior customer service??? No, that's you with unrealistic expectations.

I don't post a lot (first post actually), but read a lot and figured I would post a reply only because of the timeliness of my own experience and seeing this thread.
Oct 6 - I disassembled and reassembled one of my uppers with an ALG EMR V2. While reinstalling I damaged two of the hex head screws that hold the rail to the barrel nut.
Oct 7 - I called ALG, spoke with a great rep named "Hawk." I told him I messed up and wanted to see about getting qty 2 of the small hex screws, I offered to pay for the parts. They said don't worry about it, shoot us an email briefly reviewing our phone conversation and your address and we'll get a couple out to you. I emailed them after that phone call. I received same day a ship notification email with a tracking number.
Oct 11 - I received in the mail today from ALG, not just two screws, but six. Also included was an extra hex wrench, rail shim kit and a small tube of the ALG Go-Juice!

Let's review...I screwed up, but ALG responded with their "inferior customer service" by sending me same day the parts I damaged, plus extra spares, plus extra tools/parts, plus a free sample of lube.
They fulfilled and shipped the parts from PA, on Friday (same day I called them) and I received the package in OR, on Tuesday. Keeping in mind that obviously there's a weekend in there, but also USPS was shut down yesterday for Columbus Day. This is exceptional customer service!!

I have no affiliation with ALG other than owning a couple of their rails and a couple Geissele triggers. I think their products are top notch. And their customer service??? Equal to, if not better than their products!!!!

Here's a big thank you to ALG/Geissele for great products and customer service!! Thank you ALG!!

alx01
10-11-16, 19:02
@556BlackRifle thanks for welcome.

To everyone else with negative attitude: there is a lot of hate and accusations flying around - do what wish. I have nothing really else to add from my experience.

As I said before in my original post:
- novice to ARs
- don't have a lot of experience with the platform, LPKs, or other parts and mostly go by forums (including this one) on what people's experiences are
- never claimed that LPK was in fact defective or out of spec or factory second. I suspected that it might be not only due to missing parts, but also due to presence of another spring which did not belong there. I wanted to have a smooth experience without interruptions and unpleasant surprises. Don't know what their process is for making, shipping, and QC'ing their parts (but I was happy with other things I ordered from ALG including ACT)
- I don't think anyone should pay for the company's mistakes in either their time or money (or troubles trying to figure out what's missing or not).
- ALG processed my return without any questions and I really appreciate it. I have bought from them before, and since that experience.

If you don't like what I have to say - that's fine. You can deduct whatever you wish from my words, but don't put words in my mouth. I was only conveying my experience. If you think that it's okay to accept less than ideal parts and service - it's your decision and you deserve it. There are a lot of companies who'd like to do that. I haven't faced similar missing parts issues with Aero Precision, BCM, or Brownells therefore I can't claim they would be any better in handling this.

hk_shootr
10-11-16, 19:11
Sounds as if you created the thread just to biOtch.

alx01
10-11-16, 19:20
- Two parts missing and now you expect ALG to give you a second LPK for free? How is that rational?

No. I have asked them to replace it. At least they could have been courteous enough to pay for the return shipping.

Put yourself in the manufacturers shoes, how do they know you're not trying to cheat them?

Because I bought from them before and since that. I'm starting to think people on this forum are paranoid about buyers constantly scamming companies for some reason. Do you really think I (or anyone else for that matter in their right mind) was going to scam them over a missing mag release or a safety detent?

but it's a goodwill gesture on their end to simply even offer to send you the two missing parts that weren't in your kit.

No, it's not their goodwill gesture. It's their responsibility to supply parts for which I paid for.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-11-16, 19:24
Hi All,

Regards,
Alex.

SO WTF is the problem is the here? They offered to make it right, you demanded more, and then you returned it for a refund. What am I missing?

AndyLate
10-11-16, 19:31
For the record, my ALG LPK also included a second disconnector spring. One spring is provided with the LPK, and the trigger asembly includes a disconnector spring as well. It had me scratching my head until I thought about it.

AM-15
10-11-16, 19:44
This is one of the funniest threads that I have read in a while on M4C :)

Thanks OP for the laugh.

This thread needs to go away IMHO...

jhr1986
10-11-16, 19:45
No. I have asked them to replace it. At least they could have been courteous enough to pay for the return shipping.

Which would have violated their own return policy, written clearly on their website and the terms of which you agreed to by placing an order with them.

No, it's not their goodwill gesture. It's their responsibility to supply parts for which I paid for.

Which they were more than happy to do, you declined their offer to correct the issue.

JC5188
10-11-16, 19:55

No, what the people here are telling you, is that ALG attempted to make it right, the way 99.9% of customers would accept, but your refusal and then bizarre claim the whole kit might be out of spec, set off their BS meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXBK
10-11-16, 20:03
Welcome to the forum, alx01. Since you are unaware, you should know that it is highly suspicious and not well-received when a member's first posts are of a negative experience with a manufacturer. It's poor form.

This is especially the case when the manufacturer is well-regarded, and as you stated, offered to resolve your issue.

MegademiC
10-11-16, 20:24
Which would have violated their own return policy, written clearly on their website and the terms of which you agreed to by placing an order with them.

Which they were more than happy to do, you declined their offer to correct the issue.

Actually, it sounds like they already violated it in the OPS favor by not charging a restocking fee of 15%. I'm assuming he didn't get charged since he didn't state it.

JSantoro
10-11-16, 20:29
Missing parts are in no way an indicator of OTHER parts being out of spec.

Missing parts are also a fairly common and easily-remedied occurrence in every industry one'd care to name. The customer refusing to take up the offer of the company in question to send him/her the missing parts with no questions asked is...uncommon

http://d3i6fh83elv35t.cloudfront.net/newshour/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/snowflake2-2.jpg