PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on 16" BCM Upper Purchase

RHINOWSO
10-12-16, 10:43
Hello,

I'm going to add a new BCM upper as part of a Recce inspired build - looking at 16" uppers and trying to decide between their barrel profiles.

I'm settled on the 13" KMR-A (vice the 15"), but I'm not sure on the barrel selection -

(1) BFH 16" Enhanced Lightweight - 2.8#
(2) Standard 16" Enhanced Lightweight - 2.7#
(3) Standard 16" Enhanced Lightweight Fluted - 2.8#

I have a 11.5 Enhanced Lightweight Fluted and love it (semi auto only), but there is negligible difference between 1-3 weight wise so I wondering if there is a consensus over the right choice for a primarily un-suppressed rifle.

Thanks.

ETA - rifle will likely have a 1-4x Trijicon on it, with most of the shooting <400m.

BrigandTwoFour
10-12-16, 10:54
Honestly, I don't think there is enough difference between them to matter and they are all great choices. I'd say pick the one that fits your budget and is available.

RHINOWSO
10-12-16, 11:25
You're probably right, yet they are all in stock right now so I'll ponder it a bit more. ;)

bfoosh006
10-12-16, 11:46
Deleted

RHINOWSO
10-12-16, 11:53
I have a 14.5 pinned Noveske Switchblock already, along with my 11.5 BCM ELW Fluted SBR - so I was just going to flesh out the mix with a 16" BCM, something for courses and can be run harder if needed. I agree I like the 1.5" less length, so maybe I should still consider it.

The Noveske is great but since it's a Switchblock with their quad-rail with the cutout, it's a little heavier than I'd like, but it's great to use when I want to shoot suppressed.

bfoosh006
10-12-16, 12:35
Deleted

wildcard600
10-12-16, 12:56
Can't go wrong with any of the choices, really.

I don't personally spring for the hammer forged barrels as I have not yet seen any conclusive proof that they are better in any measurable way. Same thing with fluting in regards to the barrels mentioned.

I would go with the standard enhance lightweight if it were my dime.

Hapworth
10-12-16, 13:50
Had this decision to make myself a while back -- went with the standard 16" ELW, no fluting. Read up a lot on cold hammer forged barrels and was unconvinced there'd be any meaningful gain for my purposes. Backed off from fluting due to potential negative impact fluting can have on a barrel's integrity; outside chance of issues, but for the miniscule weight savings, wasn't worth it to me.

All good choices, can't really go wrong; happy with mine, but occasionally I think about the 14.5" and pinned flash hider -- naturally, though, if I'd gotten that I'd be second-guessing a 16". ;)

RHINOWSO
10-12-16, 15:01
Yeah, I'm not sure about the BFH barrels but the extra money isn't a big deal really, as this will likely be my last pricey EBR purchase this year.

I think I'll skip the fluted barrel on this one and go either std or BFH.

Zirk208
10-12-16, 20:51
Hello,

I'm going to add a new BCM upper as part of a Recce inspired build - looking at 16" uppers and trying to decide between their barrel profiles.

I'm settled on the 13" KMR-A (vice the 15"), but I'm not sure on the barrel selection -

(1) BFH 16" Enhanced Lightweight - 2.8#
(2) Standard 16" Enhanced Lightweight - 2.7#
(3) Standard 16" Enhanced Lightweight Fluted - 2.8#

I have a 11.5 Enhanced Lightweight Fluted and love it (semi auto only), but there is negligible difference between 1-3 weight wise so I wondering if there is a consensus over the right choice for a primarily un-suppressed rifle.

Thanks.

ETA - rifle will likely have a 1-4x Trijicon on it, with most of the shooting <400m.

I just finished a similar build. I went with the Standard 16" Enhanced lightweight. I have the Vortex 1-4 to top it off (haven't mounted it yet).
I searched up and down on this site ...and TOS, to learn what I could about BCM hammer forged vs standard barrels, and i could not find anything conclusive regarding one over the other. I ended up going with the standard barrel, because the BFH version was never in stock at the time. Of course a week after I ordered it, the BFH version was in stock. Doing it again, I would go with the BFH version if I was getting a heavy barrel and a gun that was going to see some serious round counts in training and course work.

RHINOWSO
10-13-16, 06:28
I went with the BFH lightweight in the end.

Vegasshooter
10-13-16, 07:57
I don't think you will ever regret that decision! Great times we live in where these are our choices.