PDA

View Full Version : Taiwanese T91 piston AR is coming to the US market

Tyan
10-14-16, 12:08
http://www.gunsandtech.com/news/tyan/wpas-new-t91-piston-ar-upper-big-3-media-event/

Not super cheap at $599 upper only with BCG and charging handle. However, it does has a milspec hammer-forged chrome-lined barrel and probably the most reliable piston system on an AR design.

TaterTot
10-14-16, 13:01
It looks neat. Are these made to the same spec as the ones ROCA uses? What are the specs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Duffy
10-14-16, 13:40
Most reliable, more so than HK's 416?

CPM
10-14-16, 14:09
A Taiwanese Piston AR upper functioning reliably on a PSA full auto lower?! BLASPHEMOUS!!!

3M-TA3
10-14-16, 14:15
Should be guaranteed to shoot Wolf ammo... interesting to see how these play out, but am sticking with US made rifles with US made parts as long as I can get the quality I want.

Kain
10-14-16, 14:44
Should be guaranteed to shoot Wolf ammo... interesting to see how these play out, but am sticking with US made rifles with US made parts as long as I can get the quality I want.

Same thought crossed my mind regarding the Wolf ammo. Guess you could gave a Tiawanese upper to shoot your Tiawanese ammo. Have a beat to hell DPMS lower i might be able to talk myself into dropping one of these uppers on. Maybe. Otherwise my decent lowers are getting BCM, Colt, LMT, and the like.

Tyan
10-14-16, 16:56
From the 2 video clips out. They were using 55gr Wolf Gold brass case ammo made by the same arsenal that makes the upper.

JC5188
10-14-16, 17:21
So what makes it the most reliable piston design? The link jumps on my phone so I couldn't read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duffy
10-14-16, 19:51
Its having been around for 40 years and their Army had supposedly solved all the problems we saw when mating a piston upper to an AR lower makes it the most reliable piston design, apparently.

I think they sold some of these to Jordan.

KalashniKEV
10-15-16, 08:48
I'm interested to check one of these out.

The piston looks intriguing. A slightly slimmer, but not LW barrel profile would be more appealing, and I bet it would look better at 14.5". The FSB on these is a little different than the issued item, as it doesn't have the 6 O'clock 1913 rail or bayonet lug.

The price sounds good to me, especially with CG, BCG, and carry handle. I hope the carry handle is their own weird one and they bring in the freaky-deaky furniture as well.

Otherwise my decent lowers are getting BCM, Colt, LMT, and the like.

It's two pins, homey. Hammer time.

KalashniKEV
10-15-16, 08:53
http://tonnel-ufo.ru/foto/oruhie/automat_3/taiwan/t91.jpg

Fixed BUIS I can only find pics of on airsoft guns:

http://popularairsoft.com/files/images/WE-GAR-T91-AG-2.jpg

ABNAK
10-15-16, 09:19
Kind of reminds me slightly of the T-65. Wonder what the gas system looks like. Is it a cup-over-spigot design like LWRC?

Kev, for once we agree: at that price point I'll pick one up to play with.

KalashniKEV
10-15-16, 10:18
I hope this is the start of something cool and they bring us other crazy Taiwanese stuff in the future.

https://twobirdsflyingpub.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/ee5ae9ff_thumb.jpg?w=634&h=424

Tyan
10-15-16, 14:05

The predecessor: T86 airborne carbine, which was in very limited service with ROCN naval commando and the biggest user is actually the Jordanian military.

KalashniKEV
10-15-16, 14:33
Moar pics with the fixed BUIS:

http://cdn.media.worldjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/2015092115350312_10831.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5HtKLk2WpmPBNVDythzI6-9wDCOaYMVmrojCaX7vEd6BVXwyh

Bayonet lug and 1913 rail. I wonder if these can be added?

Also a good shot of their STANAG mag with overinsertion stops.

http://twimg.edgesuite.net/images/ReNews/20120503/640_87cd0e848cca6d06c526bfe54cc24351.jpg

NongShim
10-15-16, 15:02
They are in use in Jordan. The king of Jordan is a cool, badass dude. While the Jordanians are pretty much better soldiers than all the other arabs in the region, their limited adoption of this arm is hardly a great endorsement. You will find these sharing rack space with awesome carbines made by DPMS and RRA.

Arch
10-16-16, 16:45
922r compliance might be an issue? IIRC 922 only allows 10 foreign parts so it's probably a non-issue...

US lower...

Lower
Hammer
Trigger
Disconnector
Pistol Grip
Stock

US Mag...

Body
Follower
Floor Plate

How many parts would the upper constitute?

Barrel
Receiver
Bolt
Muzzle Device
Handguard
Piston
?
?
?
?

Regarding the claim of the most reliable piston AR....
Based upon what? Marketing? I have two LWRC on the exchange right now...maybe you should head there... :p

Arch
10-16-16, 16:49
They are in use in Jordan. The king of Jordan is a cool, badass dude. While the Jordanians are pretty much better soldiers than all the other arabs in the region, their limited adoption of this arm is hardly a great endorsement. You will find these sharing rack space with awesome carbines made by DPMS and RRA.

Wait, what.

A country actually issues DPMS and RRA?

notorious_ar15
10-16-16, 22:47
A slightly slimmer, but not LW barrel profile would be more appealing, and I bet it would look better at 14.5".

I'd like to see a full-on LW barrel myself. I like the different look of the front handguards, but noticed it seemed the guys could not hold onto them after doing full auto mag dumps in the videos.

misfit47
10-16-16, 23:13
Seems like a pretty cool upper.

daniel87
10-17-16, 00:21
Wait, what.

A country actually issues DPMS and RRA?

Proof not to trust Jordan

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

blade_68
10-17-16, 02:12
Reminds me of the classic AR-18 /180 that was fielded for military use by there Country for a time. Looks ok to me but I'm not needing one. I do think it looks ok though, now if chopped back and adjustably gas block I'd look harder at one for use suppressed.

C-grunt
10-17-16, 03:51
Looks kind of like the Sig 556 rifles. I always wanted one of those rifles but was always afraid of the reliability of them.

Arch
10-17-16, 09:54
Looks kind of like the Sig 556 rifles. I always wanted one of those rifles but was always afraid of the reliability of them.

Your fear was well placed. I owned several over a period of a couple of years (the first issue, then the "improved" original, and last the side folding version). All had some sort of problem. The first gun was just poorly constructed, and apparently had zero QC. The trigger guard actually fell out of the receiver. The spring that retains the charging handle flew off to parts unknown at the range, etc. The second gun had a severe issue with brass sticking in the chamber. The last case stuck so severely I ruined several cleaning rods beating it out. The final side folder couldn't hold zero. The top rail came loose (not just the screws but the studs). I obviously REALLY wanted to make a go of the Sig556 design, but my uber bad gun luck struck three times.

SilverCat
10-17-16, 13:03
I'm always interested in semi versions of foreign weapons, so this is pretty cool to me. However, if I bought this upper I would also have to put a lower together that resembled the T91's as closely as possible. The furniture isn't available anywhere (to my knowledge) so what should fill the gap?
XM177 stock?
I'll have to browse around for a grip of a similar profile.

para13cord
10-17-16, 13:14
This looks like it will be fun for lefties without the case deflector. Still looks cool though.

Ive never shot an AR left haned without brass deflector, has anyone? Do you get hit in the face? The youtube video of the gun makes the brass look like its going almost straight back

Heres the shooting vid https://youtu.be/NikwKWwhlfI?t=164

jppaul16438
10-17-16, 21:00
I kinda want one.

Firefly
10-18-16, 00:20
I want that one Kev posted with the carry handle. It looks like a retro VHS "30 minutes into the future" version of the CAR-15. I also want the Chinese character rollmark.

I may or may not take it to the range wearing a Jayne Cobb shirt

I furthermore want that weird Singapore rifle that looks like the Kyke Reese laser.

lawusmc0844
10-18-16, 02:12
I definitely want one, and I hope lowers and complete rifles are coming as well because I want that lower bad! For those who are curious, the lower reads "5.56mm Type 91 Rifle, made in Republic Of China." I don't care for piston ARs (sold my LMT and LWRC uppers years ago) but I will definitely pick up one of these when they become available, got a custom lower ready for an upper lol.

ABNAK
10-18-16, 11:07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NikwKWwhlfI

If you watch this video it shows the piston system being removed. It appears to be totally self-contained and slides out the front like an FAL.

KC_in_Bama
10-22-16, 10:07
I want that one Kev posted with the carry handle. It looks like a retro VHS "30 minutes into the future" version of the CAR-15. I also want the Chinese character rollmark.

I may or may not take it to the range wearing a Jayne Cobb shirt

I furthermore want that weird Singapore rifle that looks like the Kyke Reese laser.

I too want the Chinese character rollmarks. I also have a custom built lower ready for it! Can't wait!

Mav
10-23-16, 05:39
Id like to see what kind of abuse this will take. I know it's in use by their military Id just be curious. Haven't seen a lot about their testing standards/tests.

Firefly
10-23-16, 18:39
I've decided that this upper, with Taiwanese carry handle, a lower with Chinese engravings, and Vltor Imod are what I need to fight the Alliance in my adventures in the Black.

I never cared about piston 5.56 and doubt I would really get involved with an HK upper or MR556. But for this price, for a,knockaround, and for the fact that it comes from what MacArthur called the world's greatest Aircraft Carrier; I can not resist.

ABNAK
10-23-16, 20:28
Wonder what buffer weight it's optimal with?

seainc
10-23-16, 21:06
Anyone has info how lower rollmark looks like? Thanks

KalashniKEV
10-23-16, 21:10
Wonder what buffer weight it's optimal with?

Well... the barrel blanks are coming from the arsenal in Taiwan and Wolf USA is finishing them.

Although Wolf Gold 5.56 from Taiwan is good stuff, I believe the Americans will ruin this.

They will leave the profile too heavy, hogg out the port (so it works with Wolf steel .223 junk), thread the barrel off-alignment, and probably **** this up in ways that I just can't think of right now.

Firefly
10-23-16, 22:55
Well... the barrel blanks are coming from the arsenal in Taiwan and Wolf USA is finishing them.

Although Wolf Gold 5.56 from Taiwan is good stuff, I believe the Americans will ruin this.

They will leave the profile too heavy, hogg out the port (so it works with Wolf steel .223 junk), thread the barrel off-alignment, and probably **** this up in ways that I just can't think of right now.

You're harshing my optimism, brah.

Firefly
10-23-16, 22:56
Anyone has info how lower rollmark looks like? Thanks

No idea for the military one except chinese.

These are to be sold as uppers only

ABNAK
10-24-16, 19:35

Why do I see that as a distinct possibility? :rolleyes:

I swear it's a face/palm every time I read a thread about malfunctions and they were using Wolf/Tula/Brown Bear/Silver Bear shit ammo. Steel-cased, underpowered ammo is for AK's folks!

yrch21
12-07-16, 01:42
Found a couple more videos of people testing out this upper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ErZDsGUfM

and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVJRBqK9Ups
*only one video embed allowed, so second video is hot linked; sorry about that.

KalashniKEV
12-07-16, 12:22
Found a couple more videos of people testing out this upper:

Ejection pattern is looking much better in those vids.

Tokarev
12-07-16, 12:43
I'm really looking forward to seeing these on the market.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

futurerider103
12-08-16, 18:13
I watched a YouTube review of these and they seemed to just work

Tokarev
12-10-16, 09:02
I watched a YouTube review of these and they seemed to just work
Link?

futurerider103
12-10-16, 10:18
It's been a few months I'll try to find it

AR-n-Ky
04-04-17, 20:10
So these are out now, has anybody gotten one?

I'm not a piston AR guy, but as an interesting variant of a military weapon (tho. it's just an upper, and the front sight/gas block is alittle different), has me wanting one.

If it's true that it's a Taiwanese barrel blank, finished in the U.S of A and the upper receiver and gas system is made in the same Taiwanese factory/Arsenal, I would expect for it to be of good quality.

As I understand it, the UAE, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Indonesia, Kuwait and India all issue the T91.

So I'm interested in this upper.

Tokarev
04-04-17, 20:12
AIM Surplus and Altantic Arms have apparently already sold out of the initial shipmemt.

jppaul16438
04-04-17, 20:49
I should be getting mine from Atlantic tomorrow.

AR-n-Ky
04-04-17, 21:37
I should be getting mine from Atlantic tomorrow.

I would be interested in a range report! If you wouldn't mind a review would be appreciated also.

KalashniKEV
04-05-17, 09:24
I would be interested in a range report! If you wouldn't mind a review would be appreciated also.

I shot mine last night.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/20170405_092314_zpsz9u4puv2.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Kalashnikev/media/Rifles/20170405_092314_zpsz9u4puv2.jpg.html)

My thoughts:

There's a lot to love and hate about this upper- most of what's to love comes in a box from 205th in Taiwan, and most of what's to hate happens when the cheeseburger hands get on it... with the exception of the gas block.

Moving rearward from the muzzle-

The muzzle device- good comp/FH, clocked to 11:00 like an AK. I dig it.

The barrel- This thing is freaking outer-space-long. Like a damn telephone pole. The box says 16.5" but it feels like 26". It is also too heavy in profile. The story with these barrels is that they come in from 205th as blanks for final finishing in Tennessee. Originally they were promised as 5.56 chambered, 1:7 twist, CHF, Chrome lined barrels- what shows up in the box is too long, too heavy, and has that bullshit nitride coating they're all talking about down at the soup kitchen. My guess is that what "final finishing" meant originally got a price cut and now this is the result. It is also horribly overgassed (more on that in a sec).

The FSB/Gas Block- This is actually the most glaring external **** up. This is what the gas block is supposed to look like:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161018/bf4e9d0f8575de00712ba32ec7e7f1c0.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161018/407fb0eac5b5dad636ee96a0c2a3da65.jpg

For some bizarre reason, they chose to delete the 6 O'clock 1913 rail, delete the bayonet lug (the handguards are still slotted for these though- which leaves an odd gap) and incorporate that sling loop into a now-unmarked disassembly switch! Yes, you don't know if your piston is locked or not, because both sides are identical. Yes, your sling will unlock and rotate this switch if you clip into it. So sad!

Also, they have now dovetailed the top of the FSB, for removal... in case some American aftermarket company wishes to produce a handguard in same-plane? This is stupid. We want the real deal part. Let modders mod if they want to.

Gas Piston System- I love it. It's well designed, has been put to the test, and refined over time by smart people. When you pop it out and hold it in your hand, it's really much lighter than I would have expected it to be. For most folks in the know, the drawbacks of piston operation (now that "carrier tilt" has been resolved, yes?) are more weight on the front end, increased recoil impulse, and thrown follow ups due to increased reciprocating mass. This upper does display those traits- but I don't think it has to... The heavy front end is more the result of improper barrel profile than the weight of the piston assembly, or gas block to hold it. The recoil and wide controlled pairs are the result of willful negligence on the part of Wolf in overgassing the rifle (more on that in a sec).

Handguards- High quality, solid construction, and I really like the ergos a lot. They are M16A1/ MP5 tapered prism shape plus ridges for purchase. I went through 100 rounds fairly quickly and they stayed very cool, except for the pin, which was very hot.

BCG- Appears to be of very high quality. One piece carrier so your piston isn't punching a goofy add on piece. Ringless bolt is probably interchangeable with a standard part, if some kind of spacer is installed (not sure on that). Finish is a really green badass kind of park.

Upper Receiver- Is not a standard AR upper. It looks to be of good quality. Has some kind of orange peel finish, which I'm not sure is part of the aluminum or part of the finish. Wolf needs to chill with the logos and branding though (BCM does too!)

Blazin' this beeyotch- I fired 100 rounds of Wolf Gold (appropriately) with zero malfs or weirdness. I accomplished a zero with the M68 in the first 20 rounds, did not mess with the irons (oh, yeah... there is a second front sight post in the box that is taller for use with standard AR rear BUIS. The promised sight from 205th never materialized). I walked the target back to 100m and everything was GTG. Ejection pattern was 4:30, as is typical of an overgassed rifle. This was exacerbated by the fact that I am a left handed firer and there is no brass deflector. A kiss formed on the receiver where the deflector normally is. Somebody on TOS said that Eric Kincel recommended pairing with an A5 with the heaviest buffer and I would say he's right. My lower was a Noveske N4, Colt FCG, H2 Buffer (as vanilla as you can get).

For the last 20 rounds, after being generally satisfied with function, I took the target in and printed 5 groups using good control- but they were all sort of loose and had drifted somewhat to the right. Anyway, I was really hungry and fitting in the session after work, so I could blame a lapse of shooter discipline. My 4 x 5 shot groups to zero all displayed exactly one flier per group which is also interesting. As a control, I fired a final 10 rounds from my magical SFW to finish out the day, all touching on the same 25m target... so how bow dah?

Where did they go wrong? This next part needs to be communicated the the highest levels of Wolf management immediately before they start making any more of these- STOP CATERING TO THE UNWASHED. This product is different from the other uppers you sell. One of the other forums had pretty active discussion around this product between October and March- the same comments were repeated over and over, page for page: "$600 is too much for an AR upper. I can get Homeless Infidel, LLC to slap together a real tack driver for $275!" or "I assume this will work with all Wolf Ammo, since it's a Wolf upper? I can't wait to run dumpster grade Russian 'Ammunition' through it and post my results online!" or "Why dat otha Wolf Upper costs $400 in that weird Grundel caliber and this one is $600 in common Two Twenty Tree?"

My guess is that Wolf was smart and read every single word. They hogged out the port to allow low pressure "ammunition" to cycle and they cut all kinds of corners in barrel finishing (plus removed the BUIS) to meet their originally quoted price of $600 complete.

I would be willing to pay a proper price for a correct T91 upper if it was properly made and came complete. I am still excited about the barrels as-they-arrive... now STOP ****ing them up on purpose and adjust your marketing from "Say hello to the 'Wolf A1' with eazy kleen piston!" to "This is a T91 upper" (and deliver a real T91 upper).

I still really digg the upper and the operating system, so I hope they fix these issues quickly... and I will be overjoyed to purchase a second.

556BlackRifle
04-05-17, 09:38
Thanks for the excellent writeup KK.

KalashniKEV
04-05-17, 10:28
One more thought related to length/weight- This is a slickside upper with not even a deflector on it.

When coupled with a minimalist or retro configured lower, it yields a very compact feeling weapon.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e34/jerryj1205/T91-2_zpscldndltx.jpg

Don't screw that up with a long/ heavy barrel.

tehpwnag3
04-05-17, 13:37
Looking at that, the one thing that I really noticed about my ambi charging handle was the FA.

ABNAK
04-05-17, 13:52
One more thought related to length/weight- This is a slickside upper with not even a deflector on it.

When coupled with a minimalist or retro configured lower, it yields a very compact feeling weapon.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e34/jerryj1205/T91-2_zpscldndltx.jpg

Don't screw that up with a long/ heavy barrel.

I too am sick of the nitride crap being flung all over these days. Like you said, it was supposed to be CL CHF.....but we get.....Ta-Da!!! Nitride. :rolleyes:

Where does it vent the gas? Does it get all over the barrel, under the handguards? It has to go somewhere but the question is where?

KalashniKEV
04-05-17, 15:26
Where does it vent the gas? Does it get all over the barrel, under the handguards? It has to go somewhere but the question is where?

It goes down the gas tube and makes the oil turn brown.

Also, BREAKING T91 news from TOS, if you hacksaw the barrel in front of the port, you significantly decrease dwell, and prevent the rifle from functioning:

http://i.imgur.com/MPzO3mZ.jpg

I wonder what it was that attracted the mouth breather segment to this upper???

What could the importer have done differently??

Spun off a new name instead of "WOLF?"
Gave advance samples to shooting celebs for review?
Priced it higher... just to keep it away from those who spend their cash-welfare benefit on "steal kased boolits?"

Tokarev
04-05-17, 16:23
Do you mind posting some pics of the gas system parts?

AR-n-Ky
04-05-17, 16:53
Thanks very much for the review!

ABNAK
04-05-17, 18:52
It goes down the gas tube and makes the oil turn brown.

So it is all contained within the tube that holds the piston assembly?

Livefreeordie92
04-05-17, 19:39
I too am sick of the nitride crap being flung all over these days. Like you said, it was supposed to be CL CHF.....but we get.....Ta-Da!!! Nitride. :rolleyes:

From what I'm seeing, the standard is a button rifled chrome lined barrel and the US made barrel on these uppers is a hammer forged nitrided barrel.

KalashniKEV
04-05-17, 19:57
From what I'm seeing, the standard is a button rifled chrome lined barrel and the US made barrel on these uppers is a hammer forged nitrided barrel.

You saw wrong, homey.

Real T91 barrels come from these same blanks. They are only finished in the US, which is where the bullshit begins.

CHF is actually a cheaper method to make a whole lot of barrels that are exactly the same.

KalashniKEV
04-05-17, 20:09
Do you mind posting some pics of the gas system parts?

Sure.

HGs off (not necessary, but perhaps helps to illustrate the whole system. I've not seen a pic like this yet.)

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/20170405_185241_zpss69li2u3.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Kalashnikev/media/Rifles/20170405_185241_zpss69li2u3.jpg.html)

Flip the unmarked switch and rotate the gas plug 180. The whole piston assembly comes out like a giant atropine autoinjector:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/20170405_185344_zpsrj9wg0wa.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Kalashnikev/media/Rifles/20170405_185344_zpsrj9wg0wa.jpg.html)

Gas tube comes off by navigating a Z-track with the gas plug:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/20170405_185421_zpszjwh8uia.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Kalashnikev/media/Rifles/20170405_185421_zpszjwh8uia.jpg.html)

Gas tube, gas plug, gas piston with floating cup style piston head (a la M240/249), primary (long and light) recoil spring, coupler, secondary (short and stout) recoil spring, and... receiver-engagement-piece/thing:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Rifles/20170405_185119_zpshpwvjjdr.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/Kalashnikev/media/Rifles/20170405_185119_zpshpwvjjdr.jpg.html)

KalashniKEV
04-05-17, 20:17
So it is all contained within the tube that holds the piston assembly?

On the "handguards off" pic, see the window on the gas tube to vent overpressure?

Note the first tab on the heat shield is blackened too (good- that hole is where I rest my thumb).

I'm only 100 rounds in, but think about using the SAW scraper on the similar piston- carbon mostly builds inside the cup of the piston head. Maybe the tube needs a brushing and the piston shaft needs a wipe. That's about it.

Circle_10
04-05-17, 20:55
I appreciate finally seeing some pics of the actual production version of this thing. I'm generally not interested in piston ARs but I was really interested in these, probably because it's an "exotic" Asian piston AR in actual use with a military and that seems to be a proven system to some degree (Not that Taiwan is exactly doing a lot of warfighting...but than again neither am I.). The clunky barrel dimensions and the lack of chrome lining are disappointing to me though and I think I will probably wait and see if Wolf either changes their barrel specs or someone in the aftermarket comes up with a lighter profile, chrome lined replacement...assuming these get popular enough to actually develop an aftermarket, which I hope they do but they probably won't. I get a bad "limited production" vibe from these which hopefully isn't correct.

sickeness
04-06-17, 04:29
Per Timothy Yan, that gas block is the modified version used on the Taiwanese LE model of the gun, so it technically is a "real deal" part not just some random crap wolf threw together.

http://www.gunsandtech.com/photo-video/tyan/hands-on-with-the-wpa-t91-upper/

jppaul16438
04-06-17, 21:38
How are people attaching slings to these?

Firefly
04-08-17, 00:36
The more I look at it......pass.

Thanks for the overview, Kev

ScottsBad
04-08-17, 01:57
I've never been a guinea pig, I mean early adopter, with stuff like this. I thought it was CHF not nitride and the profile bothers me. I lost my boner pretty fast for this one. I'll keep waiting to see what happens. I'm not a big piston AR guy, we'll see.

eodinert
04-08-17, 02:03
I'm interested in this, but as a contemporary military rifle, not just 'a piston upper'. I wish they would just sell the military version with no upgrades, modifications, or changes. The other unique bits (stock) would be nice too. I'd go 'full on clone' with a properly marked 80% lower.

I'm having a hard time making the leap as it is. Thanks for the pics.

Kilo 1-1
04-23-17, 02:26
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2862/33368734844_572aa51e3a_b.jpg

Definitely a little over gassed, but cycled fine with standard Colt H1 buffer. Don't know if bolt bounce is happening as I don't have a high speed camera to see. Fairly smooth shooting...as my basis for comparison other piston rod gun is a 7.62 AK (apples to oranges).

Dionysusigma
04-23-17, 03:04
What do the bolt and carrier look like?

How would this compare to a Faxon ARAK?

Kilo 1-1
04-23-17, 14:28
What do the bolt and carrier look like?

How would this compare to a Faxon ARAK?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2940/34225434275_87c4e1b69b_b.jpg

Dimensions appear to be like any other Milspec bolt. No channel for bolt gas rings. The lugs appear a little thinner than typical AR bolts. I was told that it was for looser tolerances for bolt the engage the barrel extension since the gun was designed for over the beach use. This is also seen with the sand cuts on the BCG rails. End of the BCG is also beveled, which may help address any potential carrier tilt issues. I haven't seen any tilt issues from personal and or reported use from others.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2887/33414473063_4aac4ab60e_b.jpg

I have no experience with the ARAK.

Kilo 1-1
04-23-17, 16:47
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2923/33417240723_b9e3d0a371_b.jpg

Junkie
04-25-17, 16:28
What other components should I run if I want to get as close as I reasonably can to the real T91?