PDA

View Full Version : SLR Helix rails vs Fortis REV2

mjpgolf1
10-14-16, 17:52
So I'm finishing a lightweight build and am torn between these two rail systems. I searched YouTube for some reviews especially for the SLR Helix and I'm not finding much at all. So I'm wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with either of these rail systems. I'm leaning hard toward the Helix but the Fortis isn't out of the running. I wanted a lightweight rail that is pretty much see thru to show off the titanium Battle arms development gas block along with the SLR Titanium compensator. Aside from aesthetics, which I like both styles, is there anyone with any experience with either of these that can help push me in one direction or the other. Thanks for any help here guys. Also any other suggestions are welcome but keep in mind I want to use a high end rail system that looks bad ass as well as functions great and it has to be pretty transparent because that battle arms titanium gas block is just sexy and needs to be seen on this one.

length wise the Fortis is a 14.75" and the SLR would be a 15" or possible 16". The barrel being used is a 16" Faxon gunner profile so I like the idea of having the 16" SLR rail stretch to the very tip of the barrel. The weight difference is negligible so I'm not really worried about that as long as the entire rail system stays in that 11oz and under range.

GH41
10-15-16, 06:14
If I am not mistaken the SLR uses a standard barrel nut. If so the advertised weight may not be with the nut. Have you seen the Bootleg rails? They use the far superior BCM attachment method. The 15' is 10oz and it's a skeleton rail with some cool features. http://bootleginc.com/product/bootleg-handguard/

mjpgolf1
10-15-16, 06:27
If I am not mistaken the SLR uses a standard barrel nut. If so the advertised weight may not be with the nut. Have you seen the Bootleg rails? They use the far superior BCM attachment method. The 15' is 10oz and it's a skeleton rail with some cool features. http://bootleginc.com/product/bootleg-handguard/

The Fortis uses the standard barrel nut while the Helix has a proprietary one. Regarding the bootleg suggestion I checked out the link you gave and the styling just isn't what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Rayrevolver
10-15-16, 08:19
There have been issues with the original Fortis Rev rails being less than solid on whatever random "milspec" barrel nuts are out there. I used the Rev a few years back and had no issues, the rail profile is different in that they are tall and skinny. A friend has a milspec barrel nut on an upper and I just recommended the Rev or Rev 2.

I like the SLR rails that I have used (Solo/Ion) and the proprietary barrel nut is solid so far.

Remember that a 16" rail on a 16" barrel will cover the threads and 0.6" of the muzzle device. You can easily blow up your rail if you are not careful. In general, 15.5" rail would allow all options, including suppressors.

mjpgolf1
10-15-16, 17:09
There have been issues with the original Fortis Rev rails being less than solid on whatever random "milspec" barrel nuts are out there. I used the Rev a few years back and had no issues, the rail profile is different in that they are tall and skinny. A friend has a milspec barrel nut on an upper and I just recommended the Rev or Rev 2.

I like the SLR rails that I have used (Solo/Ion) and the proprietary barrel nut is solid so far.

Remember that a 16" rail on a 16" barrel will cover the threads and 0.6" of the muzzle device. You can easily blow up your rail if you are not careful. In general, 15.5" rail would allow all options, including suppressors.

Looks like the SLR Helix in 15" is the way to go. The Fortis looks like a great setup but looking at it from different angles reminds me too much of my Daniel Defense V11M4 upper with the slim rail and I just never bonded with this one. I am however open for other suggestions if anyone has any ideas for me to look at. The rail and a bolt carrier group will complete this build aside from optics and a Tungsten Cerakote job on the receivers and rail. I'll be deciding on the rail Monday and placing the order so in the meantime I'm all ears if anyone has suggestions on different options. Got the gas block and compensator just loosely fitted on the barrel today and they are going to look incredible. Very excited.

Couple pics for good measure.