PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys us to mark...

MH64
09-10-08, 13:15
What do you guys us to mark the position of mounts/screws/dials on your weapons?

westcoastfrog
09-10-08, 13:20
paintpen...any color you want

MH64
09-10-08, 13:29
Something to find at say a hobby or craft stor like Michael's?

nickdrak
09-10-08, 13:46
I got mine from Home Depot in the paint, brush/roller aisle.

westcoastfrog
09-10-08, 17:09
yup, can be found in pretty much any hardware store. looks like a fat permanent pen.

rob_s
09-10-08, 17:55
Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Marker Fine (http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product/Sharpie_Oil-Based_Paint_Marker_Fine.html)

Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Marker Extra Fine (http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product/Sharpie_Oil-Based_Paint_Marker_Extra_Fine.html)

RD62
09-10-08, 20:56
Red paint pen

-RD62

Cameron
09-10-08, 22:04
Silver Sharpie

Failure2Stop
09-10-08, 22:14
Personally- Elmer's Paint Pen, white

Why?- white stands-out best to me in any lighting condition. And they came in a 5 pack from WallyWorld for like three small pebbles and a pinecone. I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle about finding the "best" one.

Be sure to degrease before application. I use my G/Fs nail-polish remover (acetone).

Iraqgunz
09-11-08, 06:37
Personally- Elmer's Paint Pen, white

Why?- white stands-out best to me in any lighting condition. And they came in a 5 pack from WallyWorld for like three small pebbles and a pinecone. I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle about finding the "best" one.

Be sure to degrease before application. I use my G/Fs nail-polish remover (acetone).

Sure it belongs to your girlfriend. You don't have to lie to us. :D

MH64
09-11-08, 14:44
Hey guys thanks.

markm
09-11-08, 15:03
I've been meaning to do this too. I write the number of quick rezero clicks on my rear sight housing in sharpie, but I need a paint pen for quick visual confirmation too.

MH64
09-11-08, 21:24
Found the Sharpie paint pens. Thanks for the heads up!

Now what do you guys mark exactly?

Any pics?

Cameron
09-12-08, 03:32
Anything you are worried about coming loose, or keeping it's position

BUIS, scope, mounts, optic adjustment controls...

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo277/camz_pics/Guns/17%20inch/ARsR.jpg

markm
09-12-08, 08:36

The main reason I want to do this is to mark the dial on my rear sight. Even though I have the click count marked on the rear sight housing, a mark on the dial gives me a quick visual check.

MX5
09-12-08, 09:01
Testors model paint & small brush.

Failure2Stop
09-12-08, 10:19

I mark anything that screws into, latches onto, or is caipable of any kind of movement that would negatively effect the ability of the gun to stay in one piece or correctly indicate POA. Highly applicable to all sighting devices, and especially those that are dismounted and re-mounted frequently to ensure proper position on the rail and ability to quickly see if the mount has shifted during recoil or use. It is also handy for mounts that attach to the rail with a knob or screw to indicate how much tension to apply to the knob to return to original, and indicates if they have loosened.

I try to mark the pieces so I can see the witness marks while carrying the gun without undue contortions.

George Mac
09-12-08, 11:57
I use masking tape and some of my wife's finger nail polish for marking the windage and elevation. Mark the elevation with a straight vertical line and the windage with an L-shape.

subzero
09-12-08, 19:06
Basically on anything I think might unscrew. Even if it's Loctited.

On my ARs, I mark the mount screws and the throw lever (I don't have the cool locking one) on my Aimpoint mounts. I have marks all over my BUIS to ensure it won't back off or fall off. Since my light mount has 2 screws on the backside, I mark those as well. Since that throw level locks, I don't bother marking it. When I had a KAC QD sling swivel, I marked it's mounting screw also.

I put a dab of white on the safety on the ejection port side, just to make it easier to see. Along those same lines, I draw a big line on the Aimpoint switch to make it easier to see how high up it's turned. Since the caps cover the adjustment screws, I don't mess with them. When I had an EOTech, I would put two small dots on the windage and elevation adjustments to verify no change off of zero. If I had to change zero, I'd brush the old paint off or cover it with black paint before putting on new dots.

I put a line or dot on my earpro also, so I can verify at a glance if it's turned on or not.