PDA

View Full Version : New Knight's Armament Owner w/questions. Please Help

Treviso
10-16-16, 10:30
Greetings! I am a new Knight's Armament owner having just purchased two new from a local dealer:

1. SR-15 E3 MOD 2 M-LOK w/16" barrel
2. SR-15 LPR MOD 2 M-LOK w/18" barrel

My question is that the black finish doesn't seem to be anywhere near as nice as my other guns...it doesn't seem to be uniformly finished. Some areas are more semi-satin other areas are downright dull and rough to the touch. Is this normal on these guns? I know that how they shoot is more important, but I have seen hundreds of pictures of KAC guns on this site that looked downright gorgeous. Is there something that all of you are doing to these KAC's that makes them look so incredible in pictures? What can I do to improve the finish on these guns. Are there some products that you can recommend to me to fix this? Also, what lubricant do you recommend for these two beasts?

Also, I will be mounting an Elcan Specter DR 1-4x on the 16" (near-100 yards) and I am wanting to go with a higher power scope for the 18" KAC and would welcome any recommendations. My thoughts are leading me towards either a KnightForce NXS 2-10X or a Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50. I am also considering a Trijicon AccuPower 4-16x and Leupold VX-6 or VX-R Patrol. Any other brands and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
My 50 year old eyes need help and I am wanting this 18" KAC to be a medium distance gun for me (100-300 yards). It is pretty lightweight and bad arse.
I am more excited than a kid at Christmas right now. Please help!
Robert

BFS
10-16-16, 11:17
Hose it down with Rem Oil and let it evaporate overnight. Makes any black anodizing or blued finish look great.

Like supermodels or muscle jocks lubing up their skin before a photo shoot, same concept.

kukworld
10-16-16, 11:22
Congrats! I am owner of two KAC rifle as well :) Welcome to the family!
The color of my rifle is pretty same as you describe. To me, it really doesn't matter, what matter to me it's the reliability and accuracy. At the end of the day, it's a tool and need to function properly when you need them to. KAC is war weapon not collectable items.
As far as scope goes, I will use something light. I purchased a Steiner T5xi 3-15 last week for my LPR and had to return back because illumination did not work right out of box. It also make me realize it's too much of scope for LPR application and it's heavy at 30ozs. I want something light and compact. I have been looking hard for my LPR for quite something and finally settled on NXS 2.5-10 with MILR or Luppy Mark 6 3-18 with Tremor 3. Both scope will fit the purpose of LPR.
I also put a 45 degree offset sight and Geissele SD-E trigger on the rifle and it look bad ass in my opinion :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slippers
10-16-16, 11:33
Anodizing is a pain. Seriously. Aluminum comes in different grades, and there are several ones used on your rifles. Each one (6061 vs 7075 for instance) takes tumbling, bead blasting, and hard coat anodizing differently, resulting in mismatching finishes. Plus hardly anyone anodizes all the parts in the same batch at the same time (and even doing this doesn't always give matching finishes).

If your maximum distance is 300 yards, a 1-4 or even a red dot may be enough optic depending on what you intend to shoot at (Paper? Steel?). A 4-16 is kind of overkill at those distances, in my opinion. A "medium" distance rifle to me would be 400-600 yards, where a 1-6, 1-8, or 2.5-10 would serve you well. It comes down to what your intended uses are. If you want to shoot groups on paper, more magnification would be beneficial.

Asking about lube will generate a million different answers and a lot of hateful responses. Use whatever you have handy.

wilson1911
10-16-16, 11:51
Get a few silicone cloths, it will make any gun look like it belongs in a showroom.

Treviso
10-16-16, 17:58
Anodizing is a pain. Seriously. Aluminum comes in different grades, and there are several ones used on your rifles. Each one (6061 vs 7075 for instance) takes tumbling, bead blasting, and hard coat anodizing differently, resulting in mismatching finishes. Plus hardly anyone anodizes all the parts in the same batch at the same time (and even doing this doesn't always give matching finishes).

If your maximum distance is 300 yards, a 1-4 or even a red dot may be enough optic depending on what you intend to shoot at (Paper? Steel?). A 4-16 is kind of overkill at those distances, in my opinion. A "medium" distance rifle to me would be 400-600 yards, where a 1-6, 1-8, or 2.5-10 would serve you well. It comes down to what your intended uses are. If you want to shoot groups on paper, more magnification would be beneficial.

Asking about lube will generate a million different answers and a lot of hateful responses. Use whatever you have handy.

Hey Will,
Thanks for your reply. I have been wanting to order your optic leveler for a while now and your response reminded me to do it...so I did! I can't wait to get it.
Robert

Treviso
10-16-16, 18:05
[QUOTE=kukworld;2395409]Congrats! I am owner of two KAC rifle as well :) Welcome to the family!
The color of my rifle is pretty same as you describe. To me, it really doesn't matter, what matter to me it's the reliability and accuracy. At the end of the day, it's a tool and need to function properly when you need them to. KAC is war weapon not collectable items.
As far as scope goes, I will use something light. I purchased a Steiner T5xi 3-15 last week for my LPR and had to return back because illumination did not work right out of box. It also make me realize it's too much of scope for LPR application and it's heavy at 30ozs. I want something light and compact. I have been looking hard for my LPR for quite something and finally settled on NXS 2.5-10 with MILR or Luppy Mark 6 3-18 with Tremor 3. Both scope will fit the purpose of LPR.
I also put a 45 degree offset sight and Geissele SD-E trigger on the rifle and it look bad ass in my opinion :)

Kukworld,
Thanks for the kind words and reply. I am thinking that the NightForce NXS might just be the right scope for it as well. I have one on my SCAR 17s with the ADM Delta mount and it is just great. That same set up might just be the ticket for the LPR 18" KAC.
Robert

Treviso
10-16-16, 18:09
Hose it down with Rem Oil and let it evaporate overnight. Makes any black anodizing or blued finish look great.

Like supermodels or muscle jocks lubing up their skin before a photo shoot, same concept.

BFS,
Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I did. I just haven't taken a look at it today, yet! My guns aren't museum pieces, they are mean to be shot. I just like them to look good. You guys have the most gorgeous KACs and I was just feeling a little jealous! :-)

Jwknutson17
10-16-16, 18:32
I've always found my KAC rails tend to become pretty dull especially when not using gloves. Show white residue easily (skin) almost every time you shoot them. Hands absorb any lube or oil, and they easily become dull. I've found that the upper and lower stay nice Looking for much longer. The lower and upper do not have this same effect as the hand guard. But as others have said, type of material and the process differs.

For optics on that 18 incher,, a 2.5 to 10 is the sweet spot for that rifle IMO. When NF comes out with a 1-8/10 that would be what I would throw on there.

1911-A1
10-16-16, 19:36
All my KAC stuff arrived bone dry, and any handling leaves skin and fingernail residue. Give the gun a good soak in oil overnight, and let the finish saturate. Wipe the excess off in the morning.

MichaelVain
10-17-16, 08:34
All my KAC stuff arrived bone dry, and any handling leaves skin and fingernail residue. Give the gun a good soak in oil overnight, and let the finish saturate. Wipe the excess off in the morning.

I would agree with this. It's amazing how dry they are when you get them. I usually spray a generous amount of Ballistol over the exterior and then wipe it down lightly so that there's still a film on it. Then I let it sit for a few days muzzle up and let the Ballistol run down. I usually put the stock on a piece of cardboard so it'll soak up the excess oil. After that I wipe it down and the finish looks good.

I imagine any kind of lube, CLP, oil will work, it seems the trick is to be generous with the oil.

jlberryhill
10-17-16, 09:26

Will, thanks for this info. I have bought multiple Arisaka light mounts. And I am currently waiting delivery of my SR-15 Mod 2 14.5" Mlok from Ayan at BC, so your post was very helpful to me, thanks!

I had him pin and weld (felt kind of awful about doing that but had to) my BE Meyers ASR FH which my Saker will mount to. I think it'll look pretty bad a** on it too! Excited for this to be my carbine, and working on an SBR next (finally).:cool:

Stickman
10-18-16, 00:41
I am wanting to go with a higher power scope for the 18" KAC and would welcome any recommendations. My thoughts are leading me towards either a KnightForce NXS 2-10X or a Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50. I am also considering a Trijicon AccuPower 4-16x and Leupold VX-6 or VX-R Patrol. Any other brands and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
My 50 year old eyes need help and I am wanting this 18" KAC to be a medium distance gun for me (100-300 yards). It is pretty lightweight and bad arse.
I am more excited than a kid at Christmas right now. Please help!
Robert

I am currently using a Vortex 4-16 on my LPR. I could pull it off and use my "nicer" Vortex Optics scope on it, but this one works so well I just can't see the point. I understand the scope looks massive with the sunshade on, and I also under the Spuhr mount looks bulky, but that doesn't bother me in the least. The weapon is very accurate, and the scope plays along doing whatever I need it to. My eyes aren't what they used to be, and this package gives me target identification and capabilities well past the 300 marker.

Link to the scope for more info if you are so inclined.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

http://67.media.tumblr.com/392e11c9124dbf057d3d2fd3c0b3bdf5/tumblr_of8a7cYG351rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

http://66.media.tumblr.com/6faeb85a8d106bcd88a735e7fbf30959/tumblr_of8a49JWoT1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

http://66.media.tumblr.com/15f8e3a60db77df07900bfe90148c29a/tumblr_oanjqolZNw1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

Mr. Goodtimes
10-18-16, 04:51
I would look at the Leupold Mk6 3-18 for the LPR. The NF 2-10 is another awesome option though.

I never paid much attention to the finish on my KAC as its a working gun. I've been using frog lube but I'm going back to Red Line 10-30.

Treviso
10-18-16, 05:11
I am currently using a Vortex 4-16 on my LPR. I could pull it off and use my "nicer" Vortex Optics scope on it, but this one works so well I just can't see the point. I understand the scope looks massive with the sunshade on, and I also under the Spuhr mount looks bulky, but that doesn't bother me in the least. The weapon is very accurate, and the scope plays along doing whatever I need it to. My eyes aren't what they used to be, and this package gives me target identification and capabilities well past the 300 marker.

Link to the scope for more info if you are so inclined.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

http://67.media.tumblr.com/392e11c9124dbf057d3d2fd3c0b3bdf5/tumblr_of8a7cYG351rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

http://66.media.tumblr.com/6faeb85a8d106bcd88a735e7fbf30959/tumblr_of8a49JWoT1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

http://66.media.tumblr.com/15f8e3a60db77df07900bfe90148c29a/tumblr_oanjqolZNw1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

Gorgeous gun and pictures, Stickman. Thank you for your reply. I think the scope looks amazing on your KAC! My eyes are pretty terrible these days and I need some high power help too!

Treviso
10-18-16, 05:13
I would look at the Leupold Mk6 3-18 for the LPR. The NF 2-10 is another awesome option though.

I never paid much attention to the finish on my KAC as its a working gun. I've been using frog lube but I'm going back to Red Line 10-30.

So, basically Red Line 10-30 is just a motor oil, correct? Sounds totally reasonable to me. We are paying a lot of extra money for oils packaged into small packages when we can buy a quart of motor oil so much cheaper (and probably better, if not exactly the same).

Failure2Stop
10-18-16, 07:34
So, basically Red Line 10-30 is just a motor oil, correct? Sounds totally reasonable to me. We are paying a lot of extra money for oils packaged into small packages when we can buy a quart of motor oil so much cheaper (and probably better, if not exactly the same).

While motor oil will keep a gun running, it will not do what a good modern firearm specific product can do.

Mr. Goodtimes
10-18-16, 09:05

It's a motor oil. I use the 10-30 race oil as it has higher amounts of ZDDP. I got the idea when I bought some Lucas gun oil a few years ago and noticed the stuff felt like 30 WT motor oil that was colored red. I use Red Line brand as its a true full synthetic. The things I've noticed about the Red Line, it stays put fairly well, is super slippery, resists burn off and makes carbon clean up easy. If you think about it, the insides of s motor are somewhat similar to the inside of a firearm in all reality.

PrevailFI
10-18-16, 14:01
1st post is I bought 2 KACs, an Elcan, and trying to decide which other uber scope to buy. Most unusual, good for you. Usually its more like why did the MD fly off my DPMS.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

cougar_guy04
10-18-16, 15:17
I run a Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP/Mil Reticle on my 18" gun and that combination has been good out to about 700+. Even that 16" gun with the Elcan is a solid 300m gun. If I had the scratch a Leupold 3-18 or a would be on the gun, but that gun is pretty much a "hobby" gun for me.

jlberryhill
10-21-16, 09:38
Just got her in from Bolt Carrier

BE Meyers ASR FH pinned by Ayan

LOVE IT SO MUCH

Spooky130
10-21-16, 20:09
Stick,

How does that rifle shoot?

Does KAC do runs of their rifles? It seems there will be a decent supply and then you can't find them to save your life. Really looking at the LPR with a Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP in a Geiselle mount.

Spooky

hk_shootr
10-22-16, 06:23
Stick,

Does KAC do runs of their rifles? It seems there will be a decent supply and then you can't find them to save your life. Really looking at the LPR with a Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP in a Geiselle mount.

Spooky

If you're Active Duty you can purchase directly through Knights. BoltCarrier and OperationParts are two of many vendors that carry Knights' rifles.

Stickman
10-24-16, 15:23
Stick,

Spooky

The best way I can explain the KAC LPR is this. I have more than one AR15. I have more than one scoped AR15. You could even say I have a plethora. My "Go To" scoped weapon is the KAC LPR .

The above doesn't mean I don't use other scoped weapons, or scoped AR15s, because I certainly do. However, on the few times I've needed to take a scoped weapon out for real world events, the KAC is what is ALWAYS chosen. In the event the undead rise up in search of human flesh, it will be there. In the event of Red Dawn when the dirty Commies drop into the US with tactical strikes and airborne divisions, it will be there. Etc. etc.. It is that good in its' performance, and it is that good in how it feels in my hands. I don't think I can give a higher compliment.

Spin Drift
10-25-16, 08:42
On my KAC LRP, I went with a NF 2.5-10X42 w a KAC mount. As others have said, it is a sweet rifle, shoots bug holes, I use it for general gun season. A 69 or 77 grn does a job on pigs (head shots), like turning off a switch.

No, it's not a .308, but it doesn't weigh as much, neither does the ammo, easy to shoot well, love mine.

Skyyr
10-25-16, 10:10
The best way I can explain the KAC LPR is this. I have more than one AR15. I have more than one scoped AR15. You could even say I have a plethora. My "Go To" scoped weapon is the KAC LPR .

The above doesn't mean I don't use other scoped weapons, or scoped AR15s, because I certainly do. However, on the few times I've needed to take a scoped weapon out for real world events, the KAC is what is ALWAYS chosen. In the event the undead rise up in search of human flesh, it will be there. In the event of Red Dawn when the dirty Commies drop into the US with tactical strikes and airborne divisions, it will be there. Etc. etc.. It is that good in its' performance, and it is that good in how it feels in my hands. I don't think I can give a higher compliment.

Have you had the chance to run a Mod 2 LPR? Curious how you would compare the Mod 1 LPR to the Mod 2. The Mod 2 LPR is surprisingly light and, from reports, better-balanced than the Mod 1.

kukworld
11-03-16, 22:02
I have mod 2..although I never own a mod 1..I don't think there is much difference between two. As matter of fact some owners even prefer mod 1..although mod 2 is little light but not much.