PDA

View Full Version : New Gen 4 Glock 17 Magazine Problems- Help and Input Wanted

Jellybean
10-16-16, 16:23
Long story short;
Was trying to finish my supply of Glock mags before the gunpocalypse happens.
Bought a batch of new-production Gen 4 USA-made mags, and am seeing some issues versus my OG Austrian mags.
Here's the biggest problem outlined;

On a number of the mags I bought, I have noticed some excessive follower tilt. I picked out the three worst to document here, but there's 4 others that are also suspicious....

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/JellybeanA5/GMagProblem1_zps6iter20a.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/JellybeanA5/GMagProblem2_zpsfqnjqhoa.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/JellybeanA5/GMagProblem2B_zps3fx4cnef.jpg

Ok, so that's not so bad you say...
Well, the picture's don't really do it justice- the followers are about 2 millimeters from popping out of the body of the magazine. I haven't seen follower tilt/protrusion or sloppy fit this bad since some Korean mags I wisely decided never to buy years back.
"But if it doesn't pop out it's not a problem"
Watch this...

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/JellybeanA5/GMagProblem3_zpsi9cexedt.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/JellybeanA5/GMagProblem4B_zpsuzwkbb1d.jpg

:mad:

There's one mag in particular that I can pop the follower out of the body with the slightest push on the side (where it's stamped #6) of the follower. And I do mean the *slightest* push- just a little pressure on the follower, really.
I figured this out as I was looking at the odd follower positioning / loose fit on some of new mags VS the Austrian ones I have, and I said, "gee that sure looks like it's about to pop out" *click* "dammit, I hate being right".
Well that can't be good...

So I went through all the G17 mags I just bought, as well as all others I already owned.
Funny story- EVERY original Austrian mag is perfect- OG Gen 3, Gen 4's with the metal cutouts, all perfect- no follower tilt, no looseness of the follower, no catching on anything when depressing the follower, general overall better fit and finish. Even the ones that have seen some use are still tight.

The new USA made mags, out of 20, 2 have the followers catching on something in the mag body (seems like the little plastic internal tabs holding the metal shell in at the top), 3 are in the "WTF is this shit" category of the pictures above (1 follower pops out easily, 2 are a couple millimeters from doing so, I'm just not going to force them out), and 4 others I'd categorize as "suspicious" given what's going on with the first 5. Overall fit and finish is not as good across the board as the original Austrian mags (no surprise there I guess....), but the other 9 seem ok.

I can't tell if my eyes are playing tricks on me or not, but it's almost like the feed lips on the ultra-defective follower-popping mag are twisted off, or something.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/JellybeanA5/GMagProblem5_zpsz1ivglut.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/JellybeanA5/GMagProblem5B_zpss9ba2lyf.jpg

In the first picture, it looks like I'm seeing an excessive bend in the internal metal body, but if you look at it next to the others, it almost seems like the whole feed lip area is twisted off (pic #2). Again, pictures don't quite show it right, but something's sure off...

The number on all the USA mag bodies is 1587-01.
I suppose I should try to get Glock to replace a few of these, I just wanted to post this up, and see what everyone thought about this issue, tolerances for follower tilt/play and so forth before I let 'em have it.

Anyone got a line on retailers still selling the Austrian mags? :rolleyes:

_Stormin_
10-16-16, 17:23
First I have seen of the issue, but I'll admit that I only have one G17 and 5 factory made mags (plenty of the new Magpul ones too). I would reach out to Glock [770-432-1202]. I have heard that their recent CS has been on point.

CAVDOC
10-16-16, 17:52
Try shooting - they may run just fine and if they do it is not a problem.

Singlestack Wonder
10-16-16, 18:03

This......put rounds downrange with each one. If they work fine, no reason to worry. I've got quite a few of the newer GEN 4 mags with many thousands of round from them downrange. No issues. (unlike my buds with magpul Glock magazines... :cool:)

tgizzard
10-16-16, 18:31
I would assume you could exchange them? On a different note, what's the take on buying only Magpul mags for the foreseeable future? My local Cabelas is literally overflowing with them right now and you just can't beat that price!

ST911
10-16-16, 18:36
How did you determine if a mag is Austrian made or US?

What happened when you test fired the mags?

Jaysop
10-16-16, 19:40
None of my Gen4 mags look like the ones you're having issues with. I'm pretty sure all of mine look like the first one in the first pic. Is that something new?

drtywk
10-16-16, 19:59
The springs haven't taken a set yet. Load them up and shoot them and the perceived issue should go away. If it doesn't, contact Glock and get them exchanged for new ones.

Jellybean
10-16-16, 20:04

The follower is popping out of the mag body. I was under the impression this is a problem with any magazine.

How did you determine if a mag is Austrian made or US?

What happened when you test fired the mags?

Eh, perhaps poor choice of words- my meaning by "Austrian" is the ones that are marked "Austria" on the back, the "US" mags being the new runs with only a serial number. I went back and fixed that a little.

Ran out of time this weekend to test anything, although I really intended to.
I'll be following up with Glock per the ones that have a clear issue.
The ones in the "suspicious" pile I'll run some ammo through at some point, and if they work, I'll probably put them in the "training mag" pile and roll on.

But the thread here is because I wanted to see if anyone else was having similar issues w/ the new mags, or if this serial # run had some hiccups, or whatever, not a "bash Glock" fest.

drtywk
10-16-16, 20:07
You may want to break them down and inspect the springs. They may be the longer 11 coil springs that are meant for G22 mags. I run them in my G17 mags with the Glock +2 extensions.

HighDesert
10-16-16, 21:19
You're complaining about mags you haven't even shot yet?

DirectTo
10-16-16, 21:37
You may want to break them down and inspect the springs. They may be the longer 11 coil springs that are meant for G22 mags. I run them in my G17 mags with the Glock +2 extensions.
Learn something new every day...I had no idea the 22 and 17 used different mag springs.

ST911
10-16-16, 21:42

Learn something new every day...I had no idea the 22 and 17 used different mag springs.

Not an issue.

Butch
10-17-16, 04:12
You did not say where you bought them from. Gun show or other unscrupulous place could have swapped them out for knock-offs.

PaLEOjd
10-20-16, 18:38
Any update on these Glock mags that you claim have issues. How did they function and did the springs set after being loaded to capacity for a few days?

Sent from my iPhone6
via TapaTalk

mayonaise
10-21-16, 11:26
FYI,

All Glock OEM mags are made in Austria.

Doc Safari
10-21-16, 17:22
No issues. (unlike my buds with magpul Glock magazines... :cool:)

Have not heard about Magpul Glock mag problems...but then again I haven't been doing much with Glocks lately. Are you just kidding or are there ongoing problem with these that weren't fixed with the recall/redesign?

_Stormin_
10-21-16, 19:11
I've not heard of any issues with the new Magpul mags, and mine (10 of each of the 15/17/21) have run flawlessly. Zero issues and I've dropped each and every one of them onto concrete from shooting height, reloading over and over again. Heading out for more practice tomorrow.

Hayseed
10-21-16, 19:27
Magpul initially had issues, which were very quickly resolved.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Joe Mamma
10-21-16, 20:15
The follower is popping out of the mag body. I was under the impression this is a problem with any magazine.

Yeah, that is definitely a problem. Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures and post all of this information. I am following this thread closely.

Joe Mamma

556BlackRifle
10-22-16, 10:55
Yeah, that is definitely a problem. Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures and post all of this information. I am following this thread closely.

Joe Mamma

I agree. Out of all the glocks I've ever owned, I've never seen anything that sloppy. These mags may shoot well today but who knows what will happen when you need them tomorrow.

Jellybean
10-22-16, 11:14
Quick update-
Got a couple mags sitting here over the weekend loaded, will see what happens if they settle in or whatever.
Called Glock, will be sending in any obvious or suspected defectives for evaluation at some point next week.
Crossing my fingers that maybe I'll get out to shoot a bit this weekend.

You did not say where you bought them from. Gun show or other unscrupulous place could have swapped them out for knock-offs.

I'm very sure they are genuine- got them from a reputable source here.

mayonaise
10-23-16, 15:33
How do you determine they are defective without using them first?

remington79
10-23-16, 19:51
The front view on that one mag showed the follower popping up very far out of the mag. A normal mag shouldn't look like that. I'd take them back to. I wouldn't trust those mags either. If I spend money on new mags they should start off looking like the other mags that are proven to be reliable. I'm not going to pay for a new mag just to have to question its reliability and send it straight to the training pile. In that one picture it looks like the follower is going to pop right out of the mag.