PDA

View Full Version : Looking at getting a rifle can you guys help me choose between the two finalists?

AFCATM
10-17-16, 13:05
I want quality but I dont want to break the bank so I am buying one slightly used. My choices I have narrowed it down are Remington 700 PSS with a PRI mount and rings Leupold Mk 4 scope and harris Bipod. Choice number 2 is a Steyr SSG PII with a leupold 3.5-10 M1. Both are in great shape showing little wear and reportedly have less than 2K shot through of them. Granted I do not know if the barrels were seasoned and no I do not know if the guns were shot hard and fast or cleaned as I would but they are both priced extremely well.

I know the barrel on the steyr is outstanding but it is a discontinued rifle.

I know the Remington has a better stock.

I am just looking for a good accurate rifle for 800 yards (that is about the max I can find for range)

Thanks guys.

FlyingHunter
10-18-16, 21:14
Of the two - Remington. Why? The wide range of choices for customizing your rifle to meet your needs. Not only hardware such as upgraded lower end metal, blueprinted action, stocks, triggers, etc...but the availability and experience of gunsmiths that support that design. I will certainly grant you - the Steyr is a great out of the box gun.

AFCATM
10-18-16, 22:12
Im buying the 700. The steyr is still on my mind. I might save some coin and buy it too if I can. The SSG and the L42A1 are rifles I have had a fondness since I was a kid. The 700 has had about 500 rounds through it. It is clean and well maintained. Comes with a log book and was shot and seasoned with 168gr Match ammo. I am very confident that I got a good deal. I will get it home and go to the range and enjoy it. I am thinking of possibly picking up 500 rounds of the IMI 168gr Match HPBT. I hear good things about the load.

pointblank4445
10-23-16, 12:31
The Rem 700 is the 1911 of the boltgun world now. Overrated and overpriced from the factory and need a few thousand dollars to get where they need to be.

The Steyr has a lot of history along with being a very quality piece out of the box.

wilson1911
10-23-16, 14:54
Shoot the barrel out on the rem. In this time hopefully you will have learned how to shoot. Be saving money towards getting it blueprinted and a new barrel.A good stock and trigger would be the most beneficial things to purchase first for upgrades.
I trued rem action can be just as accurate as a custom, it just will not feel as nice. When and if you decide long range shooting is for you, then you can decide on getting a custom.

The only detractor of a factory action is not being able to get your money back out of it.

Are you going to buy box ammo only ? or are you going to reload in the future ?

AFCATM
10-23-16, 15:28
For the time being factory match. Next year I will look into reloading for it.

pointblank4445
10-23-16, 21:02
I would also like to note that right now it is a buyer's market for BOTH high end optics and rifles. There is absolutely NO reason to be behind the 8-ball as a buyer right now. I really doubt your deal on either of these is THAT good that you are pigeon-holed down to just these 2 with those optic choices.

AFCATM
10-23-16, 21:47
I got the 700 PSS with the leupold mk 4 3.5-10× LR with illuminated TMR scope. The rings are PRI, 20MOA base from PRI, Harris bipod, and 120 rounds of match ammo.

ubet
11-11-16, 23:25
I have a Remington 700 5r, and it's a great gun. I've never liked the 168gr stuff have always preferred the 175s. The one thing I would avoid is the mk4 scope, if they are still moa/ mil. The one I had was and hated every second of it. If cash is a problem, look at the vortex pst I have the 6-24, sn 000012, got it the day they hit the market and it's been a great scope for the cash. Bipods look at atlas, they are a huge step up from Harris. One thing about precision bolt rifle it's not a cheap venture.

Learn from others, buy once cry once. Don't skimp when it comes to glass or mounts. Buy the absolute best you can afford. If you need something don't settle, save another month or two to get the right product once. It'll be cheaper in the end. I went through 3 scopes before I got the vortex, with the money I had dropped I could have been into a razor or to of the line nightforce by now. Good luck, have fun. It's a great and expensive rabbit hole you've just ventured into.

Here's the best my rifle ever shot, that was 600yds 5 shots, it'll never happen again but happened once. I'm holding a 308win case.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161112/83ce3d16e1e216c59dbf006a80d63bb5.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161112/de5daa8d084ad50ed1258bd88d7421d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk