PDA

View Full Version : LMT MWS new acquisition... qualify as precision?

malama808
10-17-16, 22:46
Hi Everyone....

I have just acquired an LMT MWS slick 16" CL barrel complete and mounted a Nightforce SHV F1 4x14 50mm w/ mil-r optic, mounted with nightforce unimount. I am planning on using it to begin my journey of longer range shooting. I currently reload .556 for hunting purposes for medium size Axis deer. (72 gr TSX 26.1 gr 4198 IMR) This load has worked great for taking small to medium axis deer and goat, even some close distance cow. I am aware that it is not a standard load powder for .556 but its all I had access to for a while and once i worked up a load it shot great. Never got a chrono on it... Most of my trigger work so far has been paper at 100yds and most hunting at 50-150. Hardly precision.... I am looking to dial in a load for 7.62x59 using some TSX or similar all copper bullets. Anyone loading this?
Also, would you guys consider this rig as qualifying for precision work or just "standard" .308 gas gun territory? I have done as much research as possible and for my budget, this is where I have gotten. I feel that as I progress past 500yds and further, I can eventually re-barrel and take advantage of the 6.5CM ballistics to push past 1000, but for my current skill I have more gun and potential than I deserve. Im looking forward to hearing from anyone with the same or similar setup.
My .556 is an Adams Arms 18", only upgrade is a Geisselle NM trigger set at about 3-4lbs and I am able to realistically hold 1.5MOA with the gun, never had shooting bags this has always been @ 100yd with harris bipods. I dont consider that at all 'precision' but simply a base line to expand on with better equipment and lots of practice. Some groups have been better but i dont see the reasoning of assuming my own abilities or the guns should be measured by one or two nice groupings. I always hear of people boasting their 1inch AR's or better, but besides a few good groups on paper I think that real world scenarios produce a lot fewer groups under 1" than most internet warriors like to admit. I dont need to pretend I'm better than I am and if I did it would only hinder any good forum conversation, and likely render my ability to learn from other completely futile.

markm
10-17-16, 22:55
The LMT MWS can be golden to 1000 yards. As far a precision... it's hit and miss as far as its ability to be MOA or better. Pappabear has had his shoot 168s out to 1000 yards with acceptable results.

Boba Fett v2
10-18-16, 23:27
I group an average of a minute and a half with a CL barrel. You can expect that to shrink down to 1 MOA or better with the factory stainless steel barrel and match grade ammo (shooter dependent of course). There's some good info on the MWS pic thread. Overall I've been happy with the accuracy I've seen out of the rifle given what it is.

Vegasshooter
10-19-16, 10:57
From a pure "precision" standpoint, I don't consider the LMT MWS a precision rig. That is usually the realm of Larue, GA Precision GAP-10, and JP Rifles etc. those are consistent sub MOA rigs assuming right shooter and ammo. The LMT is more into the realm of "Battle Rifle" and that's where it shines! Realistically, assuming a 1.5 MOA group, at 500 yards, that's still a 7.5" group. That's is ALL day acceptable as a hunting rig, or a DMR rig. I have hunted out west for 30 years, and 500 yards on an animal is a heck of a long way. I'd say if you're looking to hunt and shoot a solid rig out to pretty good distance, then you have a GREAT system for your needs. I've heard almost exclusively great things about the LMT, and I seriously considered one. They are darn accurate for what they are. It doesn't sound like you'll be disappointed.

Pappabear
11-02-16, 16:46
The MWS is precision with SS barrel and performs with Larue Etc. It also cost the same after you add a SS barrel as LARUE. CL is battle rifle and fine for hunting if you don't mind humping that hefty beast. And Solid DMR category.

PB

majohnson
11-08-16, 22:49
Don't feel that with the LMT you are just limited to the factory barrel offerings. There are several of us that have had custom barrels fitted to the LMT barrel extension. I had barrel chambered in 6mm Creedmoor and it proving to be very accurate.