PDA

View Full Version : Shooting prone with glasses

sasquatchoslav
10-18-16, 05:55
I know there are plenty of people the world over who can shoot well in this orientation with glasses and it's something I likely gave up on too easily once 'four eyes' came to town. My vision is atrocious and I am having cataract surgery most likely after my next exam in the spring. I'm -6.5 in both eyes. The problem with my glasses is that I need to look through the center to get 20/20. If my head tilts down at all which I find I need to do in the prone position I start looking higher up my lenses and then acuity goes down exponentially to the point it's simply not worth doing.

I'm sure there is a technical setup adjustment I can add to make this more feasible, but darned if I have not failed thus far. I have pretty good flexibility throughout my body, but by the time I get set up in prone I have reached my max neck flexion and can't crank it up any more to get my lenses more upright. Looking through the top 1/3rd of my lenses is about as effective as a screened door on a submarine. Shooting prone pre-glasses was golden. With is like a brick. I need the helps.

austinN4
10-18-16, 07:09
The problem with my glasses is that I need to look through the center to get 20/20. If my head tilts down at all which I find I need to do in the prone position I start looking higher up my lenses and then acuity goes down exponentially to the point it's simply not worth doing.

I have the same problem.

gaijin
10-18-16, 07:11
Find an optometrist that will work with you.
Like bifocals, that have the "close vision" segment in the bottom of the lens- it sounds like you need correction at the TOP of the lens.

I'm fortunate to have a doc that shoots. It's common to see his clients carrying gun cases into his office.

Slippers
10-18-16, 07:36
When you lean your head forward and force your eyes to basically look up in order to see through the scope you also introduce a lot of eye strain.

You can change your position to get more upright. Longer bipod legs and a larger rear bag will lift your chest up. Combine this with slightly taller rings/mount so the centerline of your scope is around 1.5" over the top rail.

Raising your chest will take tension off your neck, and allow you to keep your face perpendicular to the scope, and reduce eye strain.

sinister
10-18-16, 07:50
-6.5 is getting pretty thick, especially with high-density plastic lenses. Thickness, combined with an optical center suited for an upright head (not proned-out looking through an aperture sight or scope) will give you some inconsistency.

Cataract surgery will help a lot with clarity. Perhaps contact lenses post-surgery to help with even finer focus.

Find a shooting eye doctor and he can help you out with a higher optical center, and you can get some specialized frames designed for shooting:

https://www.decot.com/images/bifocalsketch.jpg
http://www.frontierarms.com.au/products/accessories/Knobloch-K1-glasses-1-800.jpg
http://www.stewardsportsglasses.co.uk/images/but2_03.jpg
https://www.10pt9.com/secure/images/products/1470.jpg
https://www.tesro.ca/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x/204c3ae8442ef419e605da4f8f209619/g/a/gallerie1-200x300.jpg

sasquatchoslav
10-18-16, 09:11
Wow thanks guys this is great! Can hardly wait to get to work on this

ColtSeavers
10-18-16, 09:23
My eyesight is atrocious as well. Contacts are a godsend and solve everything. My coke-bottle-bottom BCGs (Birth Control Glasses) make shooting less easy, but it is still manageable (could only wear the old tiger stripe BCGs with tactical lanyard in basic and still shot expert in BRM using irons on beat to spit A2s). I believe the cataracts surgery will help more than getting new glasses and would hold off on any new eye prescriptions until after the surgery. I definately suggest contact lenses though.

Delta-3
10-18-16, 09:25
These guys might be able to help you as well.

http://www.tacticalrx.com/

Finestkind
10-18-16, 09:32
Years ago I had the same issue and had a pair of glasses made with a different focal point so that I could see while shooting. A lot of Eye Glass stores will work with you on this.

Finestkind

sasquatchoslav
10-18-16, 11:01
My eyesight is atrocious as well. Contacts are a godsend and solve everything. My coke-bottle-bottom BCGs (Birth Control Glasses) make shooting less easy, but it is still manageable (could only wear the old tiger stripe BCGs with tactical lanyard in basic and still shot expert in BRM using irons on beat to spit A2s). I believe the cataracts surgery will help more than getting new glasses and would hold off on any new eye prescriptions until after the surgery. I definately suggest contact lenses though.

i wish i could wear contacts i have tried them. every year someone comes out with a new pair supposedly better for dry eyes i try them. i already have punctal plugs in the lower ducts to help with my dry eye and it's the reason i have not had lasik. i agree the cataract fix gets me past all this i was just hoping to find a fix now for rifle season i have a couple of areas with some monsters crossing b/t heads where a prone shot is perfect. thanks for the info

Lefty223
10-18-16, 11:09
Years ago I had the same issue and had a pair of glasses made with a different focal point so that I could see while shooting.
I did this too and it works well! I took my existing glasses,got into various shooting positions and have my girl put a dot on the lens where my eye was looking thru/at whilst pretending to shoot. Did all positions and all were about same for me (left eye dominant) being higher and further in towards my nose for the shooting focal point or Rx position.

Agree on altering your prone position, if AR, bring AR up to cheek, not face down to the stock. Head up, eyes up ...

Keith E.
10-18-16, 13:53
Find an optometrist that will work with you.
Like bifocals, that have the "close vision" segment in the bottom of the lens- it sounds like you need correction at the TOP of the lens.

I'm fortunate to have a doc that shoots. It's common to see his clients carrying gun cases into his office.

I love it. :)

Keith